Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 32901

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone?
Reply #60 on: July 16, 2015, 05:38:06 PM
awesome woman survivalist? Not sure who you mean because my youtube subscriptions are somehow mostly middle aged white men. And I'm oddly struggling to successfully diversify that, so suggestions are welcome
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #62 on: July 16, 2015, 08:53:41 PM
I think it is funny put two naked people in the middle of nowhere (another show) with a knife and they survive for 21 days. Yet these guys can't go a week Hummm. I have lived in Alaska (north of their location} and resources are abundant. If I were not so old I would like to give it a try. Big game hunting in the mountains has taught me a lot of useful things in my life. I do a good job of being an arm chair critic.  ::) Just my opinion.

nz Offline Henry

Reply #63 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:13 AM
Sure does. Although I am surprised that he didn't go for a tarp

Screenshot from 3minutes in on episode 5

Show content
when Mitch is being stalked by a cougar

That definitely looks like a tarp to me... even though its not on his list. He is using his bivvy bag too.

Edit:

A better image from later in the show.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:53:53 AM by Henry »
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: July 17, 2015, 08:21:10 AM
I'm sure there are some pretty bad arse women survivalist that could make a go of it.  I don't know any in particular but I'm certain there are.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #65 on: July 17, 2015, 09:30:32 AM
Aloha, I concur. The sad part is that it's really hard to get that diversity

Henry, see this is what I couldn't put my finger on. Somehow makes not a whole lotta sense

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline styx

Reply #66 on: July 17, 2015, 04:05:08 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: July 17, 2015, 04:17:19 PM
After watching last night I question if in fact these guys are alone.  One camera shot looked rather Les Stroudesque.  I know Les painstakingly set up his camera then hiked back up or down to his starting position so he could get a shot of the hike or whatever he was doing. 

I also wonder about some of the conversations these guys are having with themselves.  I was saying to my roommate the one guy last night seemed prompted.  I'm sure they were told to film or make a video diary otherwise watching guy in the woods would be rather boring.

Good episode tho.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #68 on: July 17, 2015, 04:53:31 PM
am I the only one who found it strange that they had a week's jump forward? And I am quite sure one of the remaining guys had a Tom Brown Tracker, but didn't catch it this episode

nz Offline Henry

Reply #69 on: July 18, 2015, 01:00:08 AM
It says they were trained in changing and filming. Though I'm sure I saw a panned shot, and I doubt they have electric sliders to remotely do that. In 'alone in the wild' he had a set drop point, which he canoed too and left pelican box of tapes in exchange for battery's. They haven't mentioned it but a drop solution might be good.

I also don't like being in trees when the wind picks up, that would be a scarier night sleep that the predators!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: July 18, 2015, 02:20:40 AM
I also find some of the footage strange or confusing. As Henry pointed out, Mitch didn't bring a tarp in his 10 items but the footage clearly shows him using one. This kind of stuff just ruins all credibility of the show to me. Somebody also mentioned 'Naked and afraid' now I realise there are 2 people surviving together on that show, but they literally have 1 item each, and some of them do really well in 21 days. The new season seems to have allowed an extra item in some instances, a total of 3 items per episode. I find it amusing that half of the cast on 'Alone' have tapped out after a week or so with all their gear when the cast on 'Naked and afraid' last much longer with less...
darren

nz Offline Henry

Reply #71 on: July 18, 2015, 06:31:19 AM
While Naked and Alone know they only have 3 weeks, so have a definite date to aim for, it really seems strange how quickly these guys are losing the mental game.

Sam broke down this week, I thought attitude was his strongest card so I wonder how long he will survive. Especially after he admitted that once he thought of home it was only a matter of time.

Has there ever been a Naked And Alone on Vancouver Island? I've only watched a few episodes, be interested to see!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: July 18, 2015, 07:09:11 AM
I don't think they have done 'Naked and Afraid' on Vancouver Island, but, they have done some places with similar conditions and some in worse conditions. I can't really compare the two shows as they have different rules etc. But, I think it's worth noting that we're not even 21 days into 'Alone' and half the cast has already tapped out with much more gear and resources than those on 'Naked and Afraid'
darren

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: July 18, 2015, 07:32:01 AM
It's hard to compare and hard not to compare these type shows.   There were some pretty harsh conditions on naked and while I dont know if theres any real credibility on that show either it does make one wonder. These are outfitted with 10 seemingly decent items which would have have us believe they could last 21 days.

Ok so am I wrong in feeling like in this environment shelter is of the UTMOST importance not a flipping boat?  Next would be water and with the amount of rain that shouldn't be insanely difficult.  There were "rations" available so next would be security from predators which also is part of shelter.

I found some of the camera angles to be questionable and the tarp thing now is really questionable.  I agree that the trees blowing as hard as they were is very scary and dangerous.  The animals would make anyone edgy but a secure shelter with fire does wonders for the psych. 

I sure hate to be questioning this show so early but somethings just aren't adding up.     
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #74 on: July 18, 2015, 09:54:09 AM
If you watch Mitch's video, there were loop holes. Like the Altoid tin for fishing hooks. That certainly gives you an extra item.

So is anyone applying for next season?

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #75 on: July 18, 2015, 12:16:53 PM
Ok so am I wrong in feeling like in this environment shelter is of the UTMOST importance not a flipping boat?     

My thoughts exactly. I don't get why he put so much emphasis on the canoe. Might have built a decent small cabin in this timespan, and with all the felled wood he had. But maybe he built the foundation where he built the frame to now become the foundation of a cabin? If not, that was a lot of construction for one canoe.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #76 on: July 18, 2015, 02:38:20 PM
I believe (from other ramblings on the 'net), they were giving one tarp for free (outside the 10 pieces) and then they were given another specifically to protect their camera equipment. Similar to how their clothes and back pack weren't included in their 10 pieces. The tarp on the list would have been in addition to that so you could have had 3 tarps.

Again, the above is just internet rumour, but helps explain why everyone didn't select a tarp as part of their gear.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: July 18, 2015, 03:57:38 PM
I'm sure we aren't seeing some things due to the editing as well.  I've always been on the skeptical side especially with so called "reality" tv. 

When I saw Mitch use the tin to make char I thought whoa that wasn't on his list.  I'm sure there are some things that weren't counted like the bear spray and flares.  I was thinking about myself on this show, the producers would be pissed at me for sure.  I am terrible at operating a camera regardless of "training".   I'd be so focused on settling in and either I'd forger or every video would be after the fact. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #78 on: July 18, 2015, 06:48:30 PM
Yea but you'd only take a BO Surge and that's it

nz Offline Henry

Reply #79 on: July 19, 2015, 09:05:59 AM
He talks about the tin in his video though (got tipped off by a fellow competitor that the producers allowed it for hook storage), however no mention of a tarp.

nz Offline Henry

Reply #80 on: July 31, 2015, 11:46:58 AM
So I've read that all contestants got 2 tarps that weren't in their 10 items. This is how Sam has 3 tarps used for his shelter, I think it would definitely change my choices, as in I wouldn't include a tarp in my 10 items and be happy with 2.

Contestants have been out there for over a month now, so the comparison to naked and afraid has kind of passed. Especially considering most NF contestants barely eat and lose 30lbs and struggle  to make it out. These guys may be hungry, but they're living comfortably.

I'm enjoying it more now that they're all past the initial stages, so their different styles are coming out more.

I'm definitely thinking Alan is a pretty safe bet for the win. Though the preview for next week made it look like winter is properly setting in so that might be a gamechanger. Especially as they're all relying on fishing/water for their main food source.

hr Offline styx

Reply #81 on: July 31, 2015, 01:03:25 PM
This just shows that mice is valid food.

Being given extra items is bs if you ask me. That way you're entering the situation with additional items. On the other hand Alan did make a really fine choice with that kukri.

I wonder if my idea of carrying a saw would work. I have a large round tin that fits my hobo fishing kit and in theory it could fit a buck saw blade (gotta try it) so you'd get a metal container that is roughly the size of a smaller cup that people tend to use for backpacking (a bit above 200ml)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #82 on: July 31, 2015, 02:50:59 PM
This just shows that mice is valid food.

Being given extra items is bs if you ask me. That way you're entering the situation with additional items. On the other hand Alan did make a really fine choice with that kukri.

I wonder if my idea of carrying a saw would work. I have a large round tin that fits my hobo fishing kit and in theory it could fit a buck saw blade (gotta try it) so you'd get a metal container that is roughly the size of a smaller cup that people tend to use for backpacking (a bit above 200ml)

To a certain extent I agree. ie when it comes to not counting certain containers (like the tin for the hooks) but not allowing them to come in the small plastic baggie? Also, considering the environment, I think every contestant would have picked a tarp if they weren't already being given one. It's just too wet to have to rely solely on being able to build shelter out of the local resources.

I guess it comes down to the producers to decide what does and doesn't count as an item. I think they were trying to get some variety in the items the contestant's brought with them, but where do you draw the line? If you gave everyone the same kit list (besides clothes on their backs) then you could prevent the 'extras' from sneaking in. Otherwise, it looks like Mitch got a good tip from another contestant and was able to act on it. Can't fault him for it really. I would want every possible edge going into a situation like that and wouldn't turn down a char tin.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:53:05 PM by Toolslinger »

hr Offline styx

Reply #83 on: July 31, 2015, 03:52:51 PM
I don't mind the tin as much as the tarps. Some guys used the 1 or 2 of the 10 times to bring a tarp while others still got to have a tarp even though they didn't choose it. Perhaps if you were to give everyone a 10x10 tarp from the get go and then have them choose from the 40 item list where they can bring 1 or 2 additional tarps it would be perfectly fine with me since they are all going in with the same provided equipment.

The environment really requires an axe but you could probably get by with a large chopper. So how would they feel if it had a piggyback knife on the sheath? The tin thing is more to exploit the holes in the system thing.
As to bringing the same equipment, there isn't much diversity anyway. Look at this:

Axe (all 10)
    Sleeping Bag (all 10)
    2 Qt Pot (all 10)
    Ferro Rod (all 10)
    25 piece Fishing Kit with Line (all 10)
    Knife (9 / Josh Chevez had no knife)
    12×12 Tarp (Only 6 carried)
    Saw (6 chose this tool)
    Paracord (5 chose this item)
    Bow & 6 Arrows (4 chose this item)
    Gill Net (4 chose this item)
    Emergency Rations (3 chose this item)
    Canteen/Waterbottle (3 chose this item)
    Leathermen Multi-Tool (2 chose this item)
    Bivy Bag (2 chose this item)
    Sling Shot (2 chose this item)
    Sharpening Stone (2 chose this item)
    Wire (Only 1)
    Extra Tarp (Only 1)

The same Site also says that all were given the following items:

Pack
    Flare
    Bear Spray
    Life Jacket
    12×12 tarp
    5×7 tarp

You can read more here:
http://morethanjustsurviving.com/alone-season-1-survival-gear/

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: July 31, 2015, 04:29:47 PM
Wow with winter setting in I am very curious as to how this will play out.  This will most likely be the game changer.  Sam will need to get his shelter buttoned up and while we haven't got a good look at Lucas' shelter he's moving camp so we'll see what he constructs.  Alan does seem the most "settled" however at this point the voices are getting louder in his head.

I really liked hearing Sam speak about his attitude towards getting frustrated and his take on things in general.  He really seems like a solid young man not to mention funny.  Winning small battles and not letting the mishaps and disappointments get you down is important.       

Mitch appears to be hearing the voices in his head pretty loudly now too.  It's hard to gauge him since he's not terribly emotional.  He's had some successes and does seem very skilled but man those voices.

Lucas is a trip, one moment I feel he's gonna tap the next he's planning to move camp.  That boat of his came into play which is so cool.  He seems very emotional besides this show so hopefully he'll be able to get a handle on that.  It doesn't seem to break him tho so.....   He very well may be the surprise in this show.     

I swear Alan is chewing something every time we see him, what the heck can it be?  I am digging this guy's approach.  Day by day and evolving to meet the challenges of the environment.  I also am interested in his dialogue with the camera.  He is within himself and his thoughts which seems to fuel him. His shelter appears to be the most secure and stable.  He has a decent hold on resources limited as they are and his mindset is one that should sustain him.     

I was wonderring when it does finally come down to two and one taps out when will they tell the last man standing he's won?   I wondered how long their "rations" lasted? Bravo to these men at this point. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:47:28 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #85 on: July 31, 2015, 05:23:36 PM
I don't mind the tin as much as the tarps. Some guys used the 1 or 2 of the 10 times to bring a tarp while others still got to have a tarp even though they didn't choose it. Perhaps if you were to give everyone a 10x10 tarp from the get go and then have them choose from the 40 item list where they can bring 1 or 2 additional tarps it would be perfectly fine with me since they are all going in with the same provided equipment.

The environment really requires an axe but you could probably get by with a large chopper. So how would they feel if it had a piggyback knife on the sheath? The tin thing is more to exploit the holes in the system thing.
As to bringing the same equipment, there isn't much diversity anyway. Look at this:

Axe (all 10)
    Sleeping Bag (all 10)
    2 Qt Pot (all 10)
    Ferro Rod (all 10)
    25 piece Fishing Kit with Line (all 10)
    Knife (9 / Josh Chevez had no knife)
    12×12 Tarp (Only 6 carried)
    Saw (6 chose this tool)
    Paracord (5 chose this item)
    Bow & 6 Arrows (4 chose this item)
    Gill Net (4 chose this item)
    Emergency Rations (3 chose this item)
    Canteen/Waterbottle (3 chose this item)
    Leathermen Multi-Tool (2 chose this item)
    Bivy Bag (2 chose this item)
    Sling Shot (2 chose this item)
    Sharpening Stone (2 chose this item)
    Wire (Only 1)
    Extra Tarp (Only 1)

The same Site also says that all were given the following items:

Pack
    Flare
    Bear Spray
    Life Jacket
    12×12 tarp
    5×7 tarp

You can read more here:
http://morethanjustsurviving.com/alone-season-1-survival-gear/

Regarding the tarp, I see no problem with it if they knew up front that they would be given the tarps and that the one in their 10 item kit was extra. That seems perfectly reasonable. If it was a last minute 'here have 2 tarps' then I would have a problem with it as the people who chose a tarp would in essence be losing out on an extra item.

As to the knife with a piggyback blade, that one seems pretty clear cut as it is 2 knives of different sizes and styles and would count as 2 if they were even allowed to double up (don't think this was the case though).

I found it interesting that they banned the small plastic bags and some of the packaging material that things came in. Reference the small plastic bag that the fish hooks would have been purchased in (at least locally that's how they come packaged). They didn't allow the cheap plastic bag but allowed a metal tin. That one makes no sense to me.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #86 on: July 31, 2015, 05:27:08 PM
Wow with winter setting in I am very curious as to how this will play out.  This will most likely be the game changer.  Sam will need to get his shelter buttoned up and while we haven't got a good look at Lucas' shelter he's moving camp so we'll see what he constructs.  Alan does seem the most "settled" however at this point the voices are getting louder in his head.

I really liked hearing Sam speak about his attitude towards getting frustrated and his take on things in general.  He really seems like a solid young man not to mention funny.  Winning small battles and not letting the mishaps and disappointments get you down is important.       

Mitch appears to be hearing the voices in his head pretty loudly now too.  It's hard to gauge him since he's not terribly emotional.  He's had some successes and does seem very skilled but man those voices.

Lucas is a trip, one moment I feel he's gonna tap the next he's planning to move camp.  That boat of his came into play which is so cool.  He seems very emotional besides this show so hopefully he'll be able to get a handle on that.  It doesn't seem to break him tho so.....   He very well may be the surprise in this show.     

I swear Alan is chewing something every time we see him, what the heck can it be?  I am digging this guy's approach.  Day by day and evolving to meet the challenges of the environment.  I also am interested in his dialogue with the camera.  He is within himself and his thoughts which seems to fuel him. His shelter appears to be the most secure and stable.  He has a decent hold on resources limited as they are and his mindset is one that should sustain him.     

I was wonderring when it does finally come down to two and one taps out when will they tell the last man standing he's won?   I wondered how long their "rations" lasted? Bravo to these men at this point.

I'm with you on Lucas. That guy seems to be all over the place emotionally and I keep expecting him to tap out. Yet he is still there.

Alan has really embraced the mental dialog and I think that talking it out to the camera is helping keep him sane.

Sam may end up in trouble if he doesn't improve his shelter situation. He also mentioned in the previous episode that he's started thinking about family and that could start messing with his head.

I'm still pulling for Mitch but think that at this point, there's no predicting who's going next.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: July 31, 2015, 05:53:57 PM
Lucas is tuff and resourceful.  I don't think he give himself enough credit.  The breakdowns IMO are fine since it seems he's purging any doubts about himself thru these cries.   Afterwards he seems to regroup and forge on with more determination. 

Sam, this young man is a trip.  Is he winging it?  I believe he has skills but I'm not seeing it apart from the trap.  I can't tell if he close to tapping or he's just lamenting. 

Mitch has skills but I really cannot gauge him emotionally.  Last night he seemed really bummed but I dont know where his head is at. 

Alan definitely has been using this time to sort out stuff from his past.  Introspection can be a $@&%h.

It really is hard to call at this point.  Anyone can tap coming into winter tho I see Mitch going next then Sam then between Alan and Lucas I really cannot call it.  If no one on taps next weeks airing my feelings may change.       
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #88 on: July 31, 2015, 05:56:37 PM
They've got to start tapping soon (episode-wise anyway). The season is only so long.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: July 31, 2015, 05:59:13 PM
It will be interesting to hear the guys who have left the show talk about their experiences and their reasons for tapping out.  I'm routing for Lucas while Alan seems more experienced.  I'm liking all the guys at this point honestly.  Bravo to all. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD