Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34833

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #600 on: July 17, 2017, 01:04:33 AM
Yes he even mentions having the MT was a good idea.  I believe it was a Surge. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP

Reply #601 on: July 17, 2017, 01:47:24 AM
I tried looking for their gear lists but couldn't find anything.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #602 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:45 AM
I tried looking for their gear lists but couldn't find anything.

Supposedly it is because they were split up so knives didn't count towards the ten. Maybe there were some other items that didn't count as well
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #603 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:13 PM
I've never dispatched a animal.   I wondered why she didn't use her knife?  I'm am glad they got a substantial meal

I'm pretty sure she broke its neck when she stepped on it, that's why the bowels released.

One good reason for doing it that way is to avoid getting bitten......don't underestimate a "duck"

hr Offline styx

Reply #604 on: July 17, 2017, 03:23:27 PM
I've never dispatched a animal.   I wondered why she didn't use her knife?  I'm am glad they got a substantial meal

I'm pretty sure she broke its neck when she stepped on it, that's why the bowels released.

One good reason for doing it that way is to avoid getting bitten......don't underestimate a "duck"

Geese are worse

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #605 on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:34 AM
Geese are worse

Ostrich aren't funny either.....

My father told us about a tame ostrich on the farm when they were kids, they used to hold out there thumbs and the bird would peck at the fingernail and then swallow the imaginary morsel of food.......which you can even see traveling down the throat  :facepalm:

Extremely stupid birds.....

I recently had the opportunity to try it, it was bloody hilarious,  but the part my dad left out is how much it hurts!  :rofl:

I think one needs to be very careful of the sharp end of a seagull, for example.....

hr Offline styx

Reply #606 on: July 18, 2017, 10:29:54 AM
Swans ain't to be messed with either. And the bird of death itself - Cassowary

ca Offline JP

Reply #607 on: July 21, 2017, 01:48:45 AM
New episode plays tonight 10pm EST. "Thicker than Water", are they in for snow or mud?

ca Offline JP

Reply #608 on: July 21, 2017, 05:06:04 AM
Good episode tonight.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #609 on: July 21, 2017, 05:21:21 AM
New episode plays tonight 10pm EST. "Thicker than Water", are they in for snow or mud?

I think they left the "Blood" part out of the title, applied to a teams.  Editing t a subject of course...
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #610 on: July 21, 2017, 07:25:55 AM
I just have a hard time understanding "I miss my family" tap outs.  Listen I get we miss our family but they had quite a bit of time knowing they were going to be on the show. 

Is what they are really saying, they have in fact neglected their family and now they have come to realize it?  Some are so somber when talking about missing their families.  They go thru the conversation about the money and experience no longer meaning anything.  Ok, I get the money part but the experience part is something I'm not understanding. 

I am in no way knocking anyone who has tapped for missing their family.  I'm just having a hard time understanding. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #611 on: July 21, 2017, 08:19:15 AM
I just have a hard time understanding "I miss my family" tap outs.  Listen I get we miss our family but they had quite a bit of time knowing they were going to be on the show. 

Is what they are really saying, they have in fact neglected their family and now they have come to realize it?  Some are so somber when talking about missing their families.  They go thru the conversation about the money and experience no longer meaning anything.  Ok, I get the money part but the experience part is something I'm not understanding. 

I am in no way knocking anyone who has tapped for missing their family.  I'm just having a hard time understanding. 

When I went for a month long internship in Bruxelles, I had 2 colleagues/roommates. I didn't feel the urge to contact my family and only reason why I did so twice was because my boss was nagging (we're distant relatives). My mother, when asked how we can be so distant and cold replied that she knows me, knows that I'll manage just fine pretty much anywhere and there was no need for drama.
Now my roommates weren't like that. E-mails, texts, calls, video chats were a daily thing. As were the tears and "I miss you so much" pleas. I still don't get it to be honest.

The thing is that we were about an hour by plane away, gone for a limited number of days and not in a dire straits situation. What I believe it came down to is the realization of our limitation in regards to sufficiency. People talk a big game until it is time to show up for the big game.

• No Life Club
Reply #612 on: July 21, 2017, 09:08:13 AM

The thing is that we were about an hour by plane away, gone for a limited number of days and not in a dire straits situation. What I believe it came down to is the realization of our limitation in regards to sufficiency. People talk a big game until it is time to show up for the big game.

:tu:

I had to grow up in about a day when I went to study.....another country, huge city, in a hostel with 300 strangers with all the 1st years getting the smurf hazed out of them for a few weeks.
Studies turned out to be a bust, but I value that experience to this day.

Even my Sunday morning hikes come without a safety net  :facepalm:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #613 on: July 21, 2017, 12:13:29 PM
The brother that tapped had said when he missed his daughters birthday, that he was there without his wife's or daughters' support.  May have left without a kiss or even a hug.  That emotion and quilt can play very heavy on the heart.   
You must have your support system rooting for you or at least believe they are, to be successful. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline styx

Reply #614 on: July 21, 2017, 12:56:08 PM
True. However how can you also go on something like that without the support of those you're leaving behind because if that is lacking then something is a miss

us Offline LoopCutter

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #615 on: July 21, 2017, 01:15:45 PM
It just demonstrates, that the experience requires a total dedication to your success to succeed.   
This season adds the teammate's dedication, to the same goal, as a new dimension, I would not have considered a hindrance.

Add "," for clarity. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:33:20 PM by LoopCutter »

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline styx

Reply #616 on: July 21, 2017, 02:25:57 PM
Well who except a total sociopath, would consider family to be a hindrance

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #617 on: July 21, 2017, 03:35:30 PM
The brother that tapped had said when he missed his daughters birthday, that he was there without his wife's or daughters' support.  May have left without a kiss or even a hug.  That emotion and quilt can play very heavy on the heart.   
You must have your support system rooting for you or at least believe they are, to be successful. 

Yes I can see this being something that weighed very heavy on him.  What I also picked on was he said, he was now going to hug them more and love them more ( something to that effect ).  Seemed like he was really focused on hanging with his brother with whom he didn't have much of a relationship with.  I sure hope I am recalling their story correctly.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #618 on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:22 PM
Wow, that caught me by surprise.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #620 on: July 21, 2017, 04:01:09 PM
Wow, that caught me by surprise.

:think:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline JP

Reply #621 on: July 21, 2017, 11:17:33 PM
Sooooo....is it down to 3 teams now?

Father and Son, Husband and Wife and two brothers?

Mentally, I think that they are all capable right now. It will really come down to nutrition and injury avoidance.

hr Offline styx

Reply #622 on: July 22, 2017, 08:49:19 AM
and bickering avoidance

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #623 on: July 22, 2017, 04:22:51 PM
Father and son had a flooding scare.  They'll need to resolve that quickly.  Dad seems to be quite the fisherman.   

The Husband and wife team are on a nice roll.  The construction of their new shelter and continued success fishing should have them pulling ahead.

The 2 bothers has quite a feast with their luck fishing.  The one brother isn't coping well with a staple of seaweed.  This may pose a problem down the road.  They have bickered just a bit but didn't seem to effect their working together. 

I don't have a favorite tho early on I thought the team that tapped most recently would do good.  Father and son seemed to be without bickering.  Son's skills have began to show with gathering the sap and making those "cakes". 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #624 on: July 22, 2017, 10:39:16 PM
Father and son had a flooding scare.  They'll need to resolve that quickly.  Dad seems to be quite the fisherman.   
~
The captioning referred to the higher tide being related to the Lunar tide a quarterly event at season marks (iirc), not certain of actual term, so if filmed last fall(2016), they should be good for the next 90 days.  Unless, a real strong storm surge would be inbound. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #625 on: July 22, 2017, 10:44:04 PM
Yes.  For caution sake I'd go to higher ground.   Its not like their shelter cannot be moved easily.  This way there no more worry and maybe a studier shelter. 

I like this Father and Son team.  Lets see if the lost axe plays a role at any point. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #626 on: July 22, 2017, 10:54:32 PM
The remaining 3 teams are all very likable.
Sam and Dad are doing well, Dad is providing fish and Sam more know how than I thought he could.

The brothers are just fun to watch their interaction.  They are brothers, with compassion for each other, and knowledge to improve the camp life each day. 

Husband and Brook are good as long as Brook can keep it going.  Providing food and cooking duties. They compliment each other, but if she hits a wall her hubby may not have enough to carry her through. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #627 on: July 22, 2017, 11:05:37 PM
The brothers are fun to watch.  I sure hope they can sustain enough calories.  Alan Kay was a very big man and he did it.  I'm sure the suffering on many levels was real challenge. 

Husband and wife team are really good together.  I think sometimes husbands tend to hover a bit.  She's a very capable woman and built a terrific shelter and sustained herself till he got there.  She's knowledgeable and has a great attitude. 
I want to see more of them and what they accomplish.

This all from my perspective.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #628 on: July 23, 2017, 10:13:02 AM
Fowler was a big guy at the start of his season as well. It could be argued that that exact quality is what helped him win

• No Life Club
Reply #629 on: July 24, 2017, 09:47:27 AM
I'm just glad that cut to the finger didn't take the one brother out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%