Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34878

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #660 on: August 07, 2017, 04:54:01 PM
good bit of bickering there

I dare say it would be a bit worse if I was there.....  :facepalm: hungry = unreasonable

Correct!  :salute:

:rofl:

"If you don't forage you don't eat........BROTHER"  :rofl:

Sure but you're productive. You'd probably grab one of your knives and go take on a bear. Or ride a bear and proclaim yourself a bear calvaryman

ca Offline JP

Reply #661 on: August 08, 2017, 02:12:19 PM
A Bear Cavalryman would be a fearsome sight but the parade pageantry would be beautiful.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #662 on: August 08, 2017, 03:14:08 PM
Exactly my line of thought
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

hr Offline styx

Reply #663 on: August 11, 2017, 10:26:24 AM
20% is a lot.

I just hope the winners are not going to be toughing it like in season 2

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #664 on: August 11, 2017, 01:00:59 PM
20% is a lot.

20% weight loss?

Exactly what I need now........ :rofl:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #665 on: August 11, 2017, 02:11:59 PM
20% is a lot.

From the show last night that is exactly what is going down. 

They are no longer living, they are hoping from breath to breath that a miracle comes their way.

When it turns cold, food becomes more scarce.  And no one appears to be getting enough. 

Feel bad Ted as he is really suffering from an ailment, 4 days.  Real will power not to TAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

hr Offline styx

Reply #666 on: August 11, 2017, 03:43:06 PM
20% is a lot.

20% weight loss?

Exactly what I need now........ :rofl:

Well you and I might have some extra. Some of the people there didn't.

20% is a lot.

From the show last night that is exactly what is going down. 

They are no longer living, they are hoping from breath to breath that a miracle comes their way.

When it turns cold, food becomes more scarce.  And no one appears to be getting enough. 

Feel bad Ted as he is really suffering from an ailment, 4 days.  Real will power not to TAP.

Sad but true. That willpower is amazing but is it worth it to risk your health in the long run? Even more so since a good chunk of the prize money will go away on tax and from what I understand it is quite expensive to have health issues in the US

ca Offline JP

Reply #667 on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:29 AM
Canadians in Canada, the health care shouldn't be an issue unless long term specialty treatment is an issue. Canadians also don't get taxed on prize winnings domestically.

Is there other food options that they are going for? Birds a la Fowler from Argentina? Why aren't they trying to lure a seagull? Bald Eagle?

hr Offline styx

Reply #668 on: August 17, 2017, 08:30:21 AM
Maybe some trapping and hunting restrictions. What I can't figure out is why no one has tried using an Ojibwe bird snare. They take a bit of time to make but as far as materials you can't reuse in my mind it is a good trade off. A piece of paracord with 7 strands will allow you to make 7 traps

ca Offline JP

Reply #669 on: August 17, 2017, 12:02:26 PM
Exactly, Head inland with snares

• No Life Club
Reply #670 on: August 17, 2017, 01:17:35 PM
Few things bother me, but not knowing the area means I hesitate to comment......but here goes.

I would think those waters are very rich in life, is this not so or are they mostly useless fisherpeoples?

Won't go into details here, but why not use unattended hand lines?

Why not catch a bird, even seagulls?  If there's a restriction, just don't film it......

And then....
I've asked goooooogle but the answers seem to focus on eating disorders.....

I can't help but think ALL of them are very far away from permanent physical damage due to starvation....?

hr Offline styx

Reply #671 on: August 17, 2017, 02:21:53 PM
There are people who went long periods of time without eating, but the chances of liver and kidney damage does exist. Then again, eating a simple diet can also cause problems (don't forget Alan Kay's high blood pressure after 50+ days of seaweed and fish). Diversity in one's diet does help.

As far as eating disorders go there is a point where chances of survival are horribly small.

When it comes to fishing, I'll be first to admit that I suck at it. But that would get me to use more lines just to compensate. Perhaps I should really start fishing and use a pole for a change (handline success is ok)

ca Offline JP

Reply #672 on: August 18, 2017, 05:15:34 AM
Agreed. The finale doesn't explain any restrictions.

If you have 25 fishing hooks I would have 25 different lines set 24/7.

No snare sets shown

No bird traps.

No big game hunting attempted/shown.

I also don't understand why they wouldn't clear cut a large chunk and begin processing firewood early on when they first arrive.

The folks looked strong and skilled though. Much video footage must be on the editors floor

hr Offline styx

Reply #673 on: August 18, 2017, 10:15:48 AM
Not sure it is on the floor if the cameras are digital :think:

Anyway, I remember Fowler recently mentioning how those triple hooks count as 3 individual hooks against your total. And that he would take several of those for static lines if he were to go again.

• No Life Club
Reply #674 on: August 18, 2017, 08:13:33 PM
wow......worst season saved by the last episode...... :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #675 on: August 18, 2017, 10:10:27 PM
well not a fan of this season overall. oddly I've liked the odd season winners but not the even season winners

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #676 on: August 20, 2017, 04:23:34 PM
well not a fan of this season overall. oddly I've liked the odd season winners but not the even season winners
The words had escaped me, as I can not recall season 2 winner at all. Was rooting for Pete and Sam. 

I really enjoyed Brook's accomplishments.  Maybe a all woman season 6. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #677 on: August 20, 2017, 04:36:10 PM
I think an all woman show would be great. 

I didn't think this season was great but maybe because the contestants weren't the best at filming?  We were having a chat about how long before death anyone of the seasons contestants could last.  I know some said they could last a year but I highly doubt it.  The lack of food and damage to the body is too great. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #678 on: August 20, 2017, 07:31:42 PM
The words had escaped me, as I can not recall season 2 winner at all. Was rooting for Pete and Sam. 

I really enjoyed Brook's accomplishments.  Maybe a all woman season 6. 

David McIntyre won season 2. Larry Roberts was the runner up

I'm all for an all female season if they can find women who know their stuff and not YT bikini "survival" experts. A lot of people tap out in the first few days (injured ones not counting towards this ofc)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #679 on: August 20, 2017, 08:50:13 PM
~
David McIntyre won season 2. Larry Roberts was the runner up
~

I just don't remember much about their accomplishments to survive, except he was driven to win (out last) to provide a future for his 3 kids in Kentwood, MI with the money.  A minister I recall

I do recall the two ladies, one eliminated herself via distraction while splitting wood, the other was doing great, BUT, missed her family (boys)

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline styx

Reply #680 on: August 20, 2017, 10:01:20 PM
only notable thing about the season other than those two ladies was Larry's war with mice

ca Offline JP

Reply #681 on: August 20, 2017, 11:37:22 PM
I want to see more hunting and for them to explore inland more.

Why wouldn't they make a proper dugout canoe? They had everything on-hand that they would need.

Sooooo many questions
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:39:23 PM by JP »

hr Offline styx

Reply #682 on: August 21, 2017, 09:22:30 AM
I think it would all come down to calories. One exception would be the dugout canoe because they have a limitation on the size of tree they can take down, Which could bring up another question for all those taking the massive felling axes

• No Life Club
Reply #683 on: August 21, 2017, 03:03:20 PM
I worked on the Zambezi river for a while, and I think the only thing worse than making a dugout is actually using it.......

I hope they do a dry & hot environment next...... :gimme:

hr Offline styx

Reply #684 on: August 21, 2017, 05:07:14 PM
Chihuahuan desert?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #685 on: August 21, 2017, 05:49:09 PM
A dry environment would be interesting.  While this show is neat and I enjoy it what we are seeing is what it would look like to just scrape by.  There are some initial skills involved but after the first month we are seeing luck, environment, and grit played out.  At some point the fishing goes away.  We haven't really seen anyone trap much more than mice and fowlers bird.  No actual bigger game was trapped or caught.  The duck that was caught was a lame duck.  I don't remember what else was eaten game wise  :think:.  Oh wait, the bothers also got a bird that stupidly walked right into their camp. 

We've seen some choose the bow and arrows yet no success was had ( on camera ).  Starvation after the culling of the initial 10 seems to be where the demise of contestants lies.  They seem to battle the cold relatively well.  The bothers shelter was crap in their own words.  The first really young man ( season 1 ) slept in basically a tarp tent the whole show. 

Food is the real killer in these situations.  Sure the mind goes for some, injures accounted for some departures, and of course those not really ready to do battle left within a week. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #686 on: August 21, 2017, 10:08:43 PM
Fowler got one bird with a sling shot too. That might be the most anyone has caught with such active means

• No Life Club
Reply #687 on: August 22, 2017, 08:54:33 AM
I was just thinking, might be difficult in a dry environment to leave participants in spots with roughly similar resources  :think:

Australian Outback?

African Bushveld?

hr Offline styx

Reply #688 on: August 22, 2017, 03:17:16 PM
Bushveld might be more dangerous due to large predators and other large animals (don't know much about the fauna of that place) plus the venomous reptiles. Outback mostly has those reptiles, crocs and spiders from what I know

• No Life Club
Reply #689 on: August 22, 2017, 04:14:54 PM
True, but it's not Naked & Afraid, so hopefully  they can get fire and shelter easy enough....

When you are equipped, those nasties can become snacks  >:D

Logistics taken into account, what dry area in North America could be used?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%