Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 32902

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #720 on: June 16, 2018, 11:24:55 AM
did not expect what we got to see in episode 1

i do wonder if they offer a psychologist at any point because the emotional and mental toll seems really high. maybe even more so this season when everybody wants redemption for their perceived failures
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #721 on: June 16, 2018, 04:11:56 PM
The emotional business is tougher this season, unless they took care of business when the they got back from the previous seasons.

Nicole's sons promised not to need her, which indicated they likely laid some quilt on her before her first  attempt.
Sam/s wife seem supportive, yet he is guilty yet of leaving them in his mind.  He wants the prize, he needs the prize in his mind to secure their future.

A multitool if selected, could have changed the outcome for Carleigh.  I really felt her pain dealing with that fish hook.

Wolf track was large, could be a factor in this season.

Nicole did mention, that deer where protected, cannot trap, only take via box & arrow.

Bot as much timber as I expected.   Shelter or fire?

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #722 on: June 16, 2018, 05:20:22 PM
Just watched the episode.  Not at all what I expected. 

I am convinced now that a MT is proper gear for any outdoor activities.   

I also wonder if any after show therapy is offered?  LC you absolutely nailed it.  This season has a lot riding on each person, all self imposed IMO.  The don't have anything to prove.  They all did really well IMO.  I'm sure the would've, could've, should've thoughts they wrestled with at home must have been rough.  Replaying how they would have better taken advantage instead of tapping.  How they could have pushed just a little further.  How they should have fought past the voices telling them to go home.  Carleigh and Dave are the exception as are the two hikers who's camper companions were injured and tapped, resulting in their time being over.

Most seemed to succumb to the emotional aspect.  Again the exceptions mentioned above.  What I thought was interesting was Carleigh saying she hadn't hit her wall in any regard.  She even thought physically she had more in the tank.   

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #723 on: June 16, 2018, 06:29:06 PM
The physicality is tricky to judge at times. I can give you an example of my own stubbornness and stupidity from this week. I was doing heavy (90% of 1RM) squats and on the third repetition it was a bit slow and a bit hard. If it were a bit more difficult I would have racked the weight and rested for the next set, but I went down for a 4th rep. I lost a bit of air and with that the brace so it got very dicey and ugly. I haven't misjudged that in 3 years and I felt there was more in me. Now I know I was wrong.

The emotional factor will be interesting to see this season

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #724 on: June 16, 2018, 11:32:41 PM
I have learned to be very deliberate in my actions/movements.  Its narrows the margin for error/accidents.  We can become complacent with what we do routinely throughout our days.  A simple trip up or down a flight of stairs.  Reaching for something.  All can become an issue when we allow ourselves to become disconnected. 

I do believe the fact they have faced their emotional walls already will be very interesting to watch.  You'd think having experienced your emotional wall you'd be better equipped but thats not always the case.  Especially when they're all striving for redemption.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #725 on: June 17, 2018, 11:13:36 AM
on the flip side there could be a fear of facing that wall again. what hurt us once can seem a lot scarier the second time around, especially if it didn't go so well the first time

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #726 on: June 17, 2018, 03:17:02 PM
Sam touched on that.  He mentioned he is aware how lonely he got.  His emotional moment was interesting.  With two lovely children now at home I'd imagine the pull to be with them is very strong.  I know he wants to secure their future by winning the money and all but.....
Esse Quam Videri

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #727 on: June 21, 2018, 08:53:49 AM
Don't know if they had a preparation period like this on previous seasons?

I think that time messed with them.....time to think.

To be honest, with only 10 items I'd be hard pressed to choose a multi tool. :facepalm:

We'll see next episode, but I think where Carleigh made the mistake was not ripping out that hook immediately...get it in position, push down to (hopefully) unseat the barb and yank it out.

.....I had to do that when I was 10. :salute:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #728 on: June 21, 2018, 02:30:07 PM
per the introduction show, it indicated they arrived two weeks prior for a boot camp about Mongolia's habitat, critters, plants, etc.

regarding Carliegh, it was her thought that the hook barb had penetrated a tendon and could not be forced back out, as her thumb would move involuntarily when she attempted to dislodge.   She thought the only to remove would be to cut the end and force it forward.

It was her strong hand, and doing what she had to reduce infection and continue for 24 hours was a testament to her determination to stay.

Wolves appear to me more curious this season.   

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #729 on: June 22, 2018, 09:38:44 AM
regarding Carliegh, it was her thought that the hook barb had penetrated a tendon and could not be forced back out, as her thumb would move involuntarily when she attempted to dislodge.   She thought the only to remove would be to cut the end and force it forward.

Noted, but it's not a very big hook, the barb is less that 0.5mm at a guess....

After taking up fly fishing I had to remove hooks several times, saw the "push through and cut off the eye" advice many times, but I believe that's only relevant for bigger hooks like those use in salsmurfer, and in my case 5/0 and 6/0 monsters we chucked at Tigerfish.

Consensus for removing smaller hooks was looping thread through the bend of the hook, push down on the shank to disengage the barb (hopefully) and yank on the rope.  Generally a 2-man operation, but she could've done that.........alone  :whistle:

hr Offline styx

Reply #730 on: June 22, 2018, 10:41:48 AM
so you fish for these?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:43:11 AM by styx »

• No Life Club
Reply #731 on: June 22, 2018, 11:25:17 AM
That looks like a Goliath, they occur further North in the DRC.

Yes, I worked at a lodge called Impalila Island lodge on the Zambezi river....still exists but under a new name.

PB is a 5.5kg caught during what is sarcastically called the "evening rise".

A strong and very violent fish  8)

• No Life Club
Reply #732 on: June 22, 2018, 12:16:31 PM
Which reminds me.....

There are guides that put together package deals that visit several lodges, and we had a British group once that were a lot of fun.

The tour leader was a large jolly old gentleman, the other guide was a middle-aged fish bum.  :cheers:

He got to the lodge one day with his favourite fly stuck in the soft flesh between the thumb and index finger......8/0 Gamakatsu with some silver mylar (xmas tinsel) tied to it.

He had to do a push-through, so he got nice and drunk first  :drink:

:rofl:

hr Offline styx

Reply #733 on: June 22, 2018, 01:53:01 PM
that's the way to do it. how do those things taste?

• No Life Club
Reply #734 on: June 22, 2018, 02:07:26 PM
They have and adipose fin, mark of a true game fish.......taste OK but not great.
Best eating fish in the Zambezi is the Nembwe: https://www.google.com.na/search?q=nembwe&rlz=1C1EJFA_enNA793NA793&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGl9DvnefbAhWFOhQKHXT3CHoQsAQIJA&biw=1918&bih=974

hr Offline styx

Reply #735 on: June 22, 2018, 04:25:26 PM
looks tasty. speaking off, seems that was exactly the reason for another one going home

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #736 on: June 22, 2018, 07:27:40 PM
looks tasty. speaking off, seems that was exactly the reason for another one going home
He just gave up.

How do you snare food, without bait, not placing on trails.  If fishing and no bites you move your spot.  None of this was done by him.   A hiker not tested, given a second chance just gives up...  Very disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:53:23 PM by LoopCutter »

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline styx

Reply #737 on: June 22, 2018, 07:49:55 PM
that was my main concern going in

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #738 on: June 23, 2018, 05:44:46 PM
I was disappointed he did seem to give in.  7 days with little success procuring food in the manner he felt should have had a negative effect on him.  We didn't get to see if he tried anything else like plants or insects.   He brought a food ration which I hoped would have given him some ability to stay a little longer.  I'm not second guessing his decision but in a few day of coming home I think he might think differently about tapping so soon.  I did appreciate him saying it's one thing to practice skill and another to be actually doing them ( paraphrasing ). 

Britt seems to be in quite high spirits.  I appreciate his enthusiasm.  Leaving those fish had me cringing.  I was bummed when he awoke the next day to find them missing. 

Dave is a trip.  His personality is fun and optimistic.  He was a fishing machine before and I thought he be fly fishing the heck out of that water.  He's a beast so I foresee him grinding it out. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #739 on: June 23, 2018, 06:54:06 PM
Britt is a different person this time out.   He did say that the difference is that he and his wife are a team this time, her voice is now telling him to not tap unless... , because he his their for THEM this time!!!  powerful motivator.

Dave is a contender, Larry is entertaining, with highs and lows.  Nicole appears to be having MS issues per teaser for next segment.

Even my wife is enjoying this season, I DVR  and she watches on Friday evening so I enjoy twice.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #740 on: June 24, 2018, 01:43:47 PM
Theres nothing ike having the support of your spouse.  Knowing their routing for you and sending positivity your way.  This has to be a powerful motivator. 

Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #741 on: June 25, 2018, 11:33:16 AM
Well, if I had those juicy grasshoppers all around I certainly wouldn't go hungry......pity the dude doesn't know how to prepare them  :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #742 on: June 25, 2018, 12:49:51 PM
Survivorman cooking ftw!! :D :D

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #743 on: June 25, 2018, 02:15:09 PM
Well, if I had those juicy grasshoppers all around I certainly wouldn't go hungry......pity the dude doesn't know how to prepare them  :think:
Do you have a proper recipe?, Please share!

I would suspect that different regions of the world have their delicacies,  in the states, our grasshoppers are smaller, and have seen prepared, baked and then coated in chocolate.  I know not a survivor option!   :facepalm:

The size and number of grasshoppers in Mongolia could sustain one for a while, until the freeze sets in :whistle:

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #744 on: June 25, 2018, 03:40:34 PM
Do you have a proper recipe?, Please share!
No so much a recipe......no sure where I saw it, Survivorman maybe......but the trick is grab the head, twist and pull. That removes the digestive tract and hopefully anything that could make you sick.

>:D I have video of the preparation and consumption.  :cheers:

I've not had one that tastes bad.....mostly popcorn'ish, termites taste great, haven't tried much else.  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #745 on: June 26, 2018, 02:52:52 PM

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #746 on: June 26, 2018, 03:22:33 PM
You've got to be ready to eat for sustenance.  If grasshoppers on are the menu then........   You've got to have patience but whatever methods used to procure food has got to be solid.  What ever approach used has got to be done so methodically.  Knowledge of plants, bugs, and the early inhabitants of the lands methods.  Even if you do everything on point you've got to understand that the calories in wont always be more than the calories used.  Hunger will be your companion as will loneliness.  The mental component is brutal so having a system to combat that IMO is just as important.  Meditation, prayer, of whatever is needed to remain positive and focused. 

Hunger messes with the mind.  We've seen and heard over the seasons how true it is.  Loneliness for which the show is aptly named, Alone.  Even those who feel they are happier not around people are never truly alone.   We as humans are social, some more so than others but a social being.  Add hunger to loneliness plus the SAT phone which you know will end it all and you have a powerful OUT.     
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #747 on: June 26, 2018, 03:32:39 PM
That was my motivation for trying bugs......no use being willing to eat bugs, eat bugs now and make sure you mean what you say.

The flat I was renting when those videos were taken in right on the outskirts of town, and due to the general state of my life I was very much thinking about walking into the bush with my BOB.....  :facepalm:

Thing is I was walking the dog in the beginnings of that bush, and if you look around and think about where and what food is available, the answer is simply: not a lot.....bugs can't be ignored.

You mention having the sat phone.......I think having the option to tap out makes the whole thing ever harder.  The situation might be easier if not more survivable if you have no choice.

hr Offline styx

Reply #748 on: June 26, 2018, 10:09:47 PM
that reminds me of the "where do you draw the line" pics i've been seeing around

• No Life Club
Reply #749 on: June 28, 2018, 09:44:04 AM
Too much?  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86