Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34849

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #780 on: July 28, 2018, 05:01:56 PM
I hope Dave doesn't fall from that stand. And next time I want to see Larry win against the wind as he did against the mice
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #781 on: July 29, 2018, 03:32:52 AM
Larry's landing net was well built, it functioned and he was so proud of it, and the fact he did it there.  The most positive that editing has presented him on both seasons.

Britt will be in trouble if it colder and fish no longer bite, or he can not gather bait (grasshoppers).

Sam does not appear to be thinking of proper solutions for proper results. The gill net  required 10 pound rocks to hold in place.  A throw net about 20' across may help if he waited out into the river and tossed into a edy.

If Larry can kill a deer, that would be awesome, his newly made spear thrower looks neat, (can not remember what it is called at the moment)

Randy appears to have it together, if he stays in the moments mentally, he could outlast awl.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

hr Offline styx

Reply #782 on: July 29, 2018, 08:28:46 AM
The word you were looking for is atlatl

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #783 on: July 29, 2018, 09:00:06 PM
^ Yep, that is the name of the tool he carved, Atlatl.  I do not recall ever seeing one before, let ALONE, hearing of one. :like: :whistle:

Hope yours is as good!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #784 on: August 01, 2018, 11:48:17 AM
^ Yep, that is the name of the tool he carved, Atlatl.  I do not recall ever seeing one before, let ALONE, hearing of one. :like: :whistle:

Matt Graham that was in the later season of Dual Survival uses it a lot, something I still want to try, but we don't have obliging plants/trees here.

I was expecting a bit more from this season, if I can be perfectly honest I'm finding one of my favourite shows boring  :think:

hr Offline styx

Reply #785 on: August 01, 2018, 12:12:45 PM
well it is going slow a bit. maybe there is simply so much to show?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #786 on: August 01, 2018, 05:27:11 PM
The "action" is a bit slow.  I still enjoy the mental aspect even if we arent hearing about everything they are going though.  At this point with winter creeping in we should really begin to see who has the "fitness" to remain. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #787 on: August 01, 2018, 10:30:26 PM
Our expectations my have been set higher for this group since thay have been there and down that.

Now, I find it interesting that with river having fish, most are able to catch what they need to minimize hunger.  See a bird, oh! drop it with my bow and arrow. Doing the self video, we miss the actual action, so yes boring.   Yet interesting as to who is having current success, and that what works for one, does not for another.

I founds Dave's commit regarding, he who does not have a fire IN the shelter is missing out, like he knows of Larry's campsite (?), or Sam's.  Brett and Randy both have inside fire pits.

Cod weather, freezing nights and days plus snow will turn up the intensity for the last 5 for sure.

PS: I love the fall colors and scenery shown by the high cameras or drones.

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #788 on: August 02, 2018, 09:22:46 AM
PS: I love the fall colors and scenery shown by the high cameras or drones.

:cheers: Same here, something we sadly don't have much of here.

I was thinking about my perception of what's going on, and my conclusion is the environment is not throwing up enough challenges.......is Mongolia too easy?

hr Offline styx

Reply #789 on: August 02, 2018, 09:26:53 AM
fire in the shelter is a good idea if you can have it safely. Larry did make comments about needing to change his shelter approach due to the resources in the field and restrictions they had

• No Life Club
Reply #790 on: August 06, 2018, 09:03:19 AM
All in the mind hey  :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #791 on: August 06, 2018, 10:17:05 AM
calories are still a problem

• No Life Club
Reply #792 on: August 06, 2018, 11:06:50 AM
Not even day 40.....nobody even looks very skinny so far....

hr Offline styx

Reply #793 on: August 06, 2018, 11:12:29 AM
maybe they learned a thing or 2 from their previous experiences

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #794 on: August 06, 2018, 02:14:20 PM
Dave's face appeared much thinner this last episode.   Randy showed very little weight loss when he filmed taking the dip in the chilly waters.

Sam also has had to suffered weight lost, yet wears that bulky sweater so hard to tell.

Larry is Larry, yet he needs to find himself a good point between his high highs and his low lows.

Britt is pretty stable, yet expressed concerns since fish production has decreased.

Randy departure for lack of social interaction was disappointing, he had what appeared to be the most ridged shelter and had the skills at bush craft, not food gathering.

Want to see Dave get his deer!!!, yet suspect his camera gear could be a distraction.  Just show the results not the gathering.

Two episodes remaining...

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #795 on: August 06, 2018, 02:37:15 PM
  Randy showed very little weight loss when he filmed taking the dip in the chilly waters.

Yes, him specifically.....very disappointing that he left

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #796 on: August 06, 2018, 02:54:07 PM
Randy leaving was a little bit of a surprise.  I do recall however his last episode he was really having a hard time being alone.  His shelter was pretty great.  I would have liked to see how well it worked agains the cold. 

According to the caption Dave has lost quite a bit more at this point than he did his last time on.  I know getting a deer would be a huge game changer so I really hoping he gets one. 

Larry is a riot.  His mood swings are interesting to watch.  I wonder if this is who he is in day to day life?  Neat to hear his trap go off while he was filming. 

Sam doesnt seem to be trying much to procure food from what shown of him.  His shelter is also pretty meager tho a lot better than his previous.  Does this guy just not get cold? 

Britts attitude is so different that his last time on.  He's doing well.  They are all going to suffer to some degree but he seems to be strong mentally and emotionally right now.  Glad he got that fish.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #797 on: August 07, 2018, 02:11:14 PM
According to the caption Dave has lost quite a bit more at this point than he did his last time on.  I know getting a deer would be a huge game changer so I really hoping he gets one. 

You're right, I was generalizing

Larry is a riot.  His mood swings are interesting to watch.  I wonder if this is who he is in day to day life?  Neat to hear his trap go off while he was filming. 

I have to believe it's the diet and circumstances, anybody that volatile would need to own the company to work there  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #798 on: August 07, 2018, 02:13:30 PM
So what's everybody's general feeling about this season?

I would still watch Season 6, but if it's not considerably better I would definitely not look forward to the next one.  :think:

I think they need a complete change of scenery, somewhere dry.......  >:D  Too dangerous?

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #799 on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:11 PM
There's only 3 challengers left, so this season in Mongolia is a lot harder than previous seasons in other locations.  They haven't even seen real winter yet and at this rate I don't think the challenge will last long enough to get to real winter.

hr Offline styx

Reply #800 on: August 10, 2018, 09:00:48 PM
funny thing is the ones left are from seasons 1, 2 and 3

• No Life Club
Reply #801 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:47 AM
There's only 3 challengers left, so this season in Mongolia is a lot harder than previous seasons in other locations.

It would seem so, but I feel they haven't shown us why.......?

Did kelp and seafood make that much difference?

:think:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #802 on: August 13, 2018, 02:29:06 PM
There's only 3 challengers left, so this season in Mongolia is a lot harder than previous seasons in other locations.

It would seem so, but I feel they haven't shown us why.......?

Did kelp and seafood make that much difference?

:think:
Of the three remaining two were runner ups.

Yes, I do believe the kelp and seafood makes a difference.  As long as you continued to gather and prepare correctly.

This season is different as the contestants have already pushed their bodies to the limits in previous seasons.  Dave refused to go there again.   Sam appears good at conserving energy, has not appeared to push himself much gathering food, or building shelter.

Larry is not taking in much either, so surprised me when he took the hike to and up the hill looking for food.  Yet, mentally he was more stable via the editing shared.

Britt is pretty constant, did learn that there is at least one more fish in the river, but loosing is rig with three hooks shook him up.  yet clever idea to make a lure when grasshoppers have vanished.

The sea does seem to bring in fresh food daily, if you are located correctly along the shore.  When I met David McIntrye the winner of season 2, he indicated that the last several days he was eating a regular diet of crab he was catching which I do not recall being included in the editing.  He said that he felt he was gaining weight and could have gone longer if needed.

In this season, the final three have already shifted to energy conservation due to lack of food sources.  Out last is the strategy it appears, and who is best will claim the price.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #803 on: August 13, 2018, 02:55:19 PM
Pretty much what I was thinking as well.  I was a bit surprised at Dave but as he explained I completely understand as he and only he knows whats best for him.  Bummer Britt lost the fish and the hooks.  I sure hope getting a fish on the line was inspiring tho.  From what we saw he seems to be doing pretty well mentally.  I appreciate Larry talking about why he gets so emotional out there.  I really liked how he put it.  Sam seems to be busying himself with crafts. We havent seen a lot of what he's eaten. 

This place appears to be a lot tougher as winter approaches.  Certainly past experiences play a role in how each deal with the struggle.   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #804 on: August 14, 2018, 11:48:11 AM
  Bummer Britt lost the fish and the hooks.

I suspected the fish are further  down in the water column, his weighted lure seems to confirm that. 

Just don't know why he used multiple hooks.......  :think:

At this stage my money is on Britt, my heart is with Sam.  :cheers:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #805 on: August 14, 2018, 02:33:51 PM

Agreed, :like: both ,mentioned earlier, they were there as long as needed with approval of their wives. :salute:

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #806 on: August 14, 2018, 02:36:02 PM

Agreed, :like: both ,mentioned earlier, they were there as long as needed with approval of their wives. :salute:

I'm with you fellas. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #807 on: August 16, 2018, 06:38:45 AM
According to the episode descriptions we will find out the winner in tonights episode and next week will be the rehash episode. It has gone very quickly. I was most disappointed that none of the ladies lasted longer this time around.  We've seen vary little of Sam which makes me wonder if he is being slow, careful, and consistent and just not filming as much.  I don't have a favorite in these last three. It could go either way.

hr Offline styx

Reply #808 on: August 16, 2018, 10:19:56 AM
these 3 guys are very likable and to be fair it is sort of disappointing to realize that 2 of them will lose

• No Life Club
Reply #809 on: August 20, 2018, 08:17:02 AM
Quite an emotional day for me.....and I cried right along with Sam  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99