Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34807

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #810 on: August 20, 2018, 09:17:01 AM
to be honest I had the order reversed going into this episode. but can't say i'm disappointed as Sam also had a great showing in season 1
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #811 on: August 20, 2018, 02:33:38 PM
I was really happy for Sam.  They all did a great job out there.  Sam is one resilient guy.  Hats off to Britt.  He sure gave Sam a run. 

Mongolia was quite beautiful as the snow began to fall and cover everything. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #812 on: August 20, 2018, 11:15:03 PM
I was rooting for Britt to catch a fish, he did try.   If he had he was good for another few days.

Sam was having issues vacating his waste.  Once he announce the problem was resolved, I felt he was the one to beat as he continued to demonstrate his resilience and keep his mind and hands busy, including snow shoes for when the snow got deeper.  He was not exiting soon as he continued to look for ways to beat the weather.   Unfortunately he did not have success gathering fish or larger (than mice) animals.   His drop trapped appeared effective, but did not appear along a travel path or had bait and funnel to force his intended targets to be caught.  It was strange yet effective strategy.  I even questioned his item selections.

I really did enjoy his comment after learning he won and greeted his wife, - " Which one of you guys have food?" repeating the question to each person present. :gimme: :tu:

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #813 on: August 22, 2018, 12:34:13 PM

I really did enjoy his comment after learning he won and greeted his wife, - " Which one of you guys have food?" repeating the question to each person present. :gimme: :tu:

I expect he will have that thrown back in his face some day...... :rofl:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #814 on: October 08, 2018, 07:42:31 PM
Allright, just binged the whole season in 4 days. Season 6 where are you?!

hr Offline styx

Reply #815 on: June 11, 2019, 11:48:03 AM
new season has started

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #816 on: June 11, 2019, 02:31:47 PM
I saw that.  Excited to see how it goes this season.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #817 on: June 11, 2019, 09:54:57 PM
The Arctic is a tough environment, already misjudged by some not preparing shelter on arrival. Then snow arriving on day 4.

I understand they were placed in mid September, and experience had indicate it snows as early as late August in their zone.  Freeze up not far away.

Hope yours is as good!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #818 on: June 12, 2019, 07:36:16 AM
The Arctic is a tough environment, already misjudged by some not preparing shelter on arrival. Then snow arriving on day 4.

I understand they were placed in mid September, and experience had indicate it snows as early as late August in their zone.  Freeze up not far away.

I remember watching the first two season, but did miss it afterwards...what?  They are doing it in Arctic?  That's gonna be very challenging!

• No Life Club
Reply #819 on: June 12, 2019, 08:10:37 AM
new season has started
:woohoo:

Missed that, but I was thinking just the other day we are overdue for a new season!  :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #820 on: June 12, 2019, 08:24:20 PM
I remember watching the first two season, but did miss it afterwards...what?  They are doing it in Arctic?  That's gonna be very challenging!

and fun

• No Life Club
Reply #821 on: June 13, 2019, 07:26:12 PM
 :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #822 on: June 17, 2019, 10:51:18 AM
If I can be honest......first 2 episodes were a bit boring.  :facepalm:

Looks like there'll be some big game hunting this season so we'll see how it develops.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #823 on: June 17, 2019, 02:00:38 PM
If I can be honest......first 2 episodes were a bit boring.  :facepalm:
Each season seems to start that way, to much time introducing the participants and they learning their cameras.
Setting up camp and shelter is critical, then establishing food stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope yours is as good!

hr Offline styx

Reply #824 on: June 17, 2019, 04:08:19 PM
managed to miss episode 2

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #825 on: June 18, 2019, 10:05:00 AM
As I live in the arctic this season connects a bit more than the previous ones. First two episodes seems to be mainly presentation and buildup. It looks like some haven't quite realized where they have landed, so that should get interesting.

It seems they did a bit of a nasty trick to that poor fellow they placed in a burned down area. Maybe the fishing is great there at least.

I like that lady with the suffering attitude; "this will be so much suffering" "suffering is good, I'm good at suffering" - something along those lines. No illusions there it seems.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• No Life Club
Reply #826 on: June 18, 2019, 11:28:29 AM
It seems they did a bit of a nasty trick to that poor fellow they placed in a burned down area. Maybe the fishing is great there at least.

They (the show) makes excuses that all sites are more or less equal........as long as that participant can find the abundant resource in his area......does seem like a bit of a low blow.....

Speaking from complete inexperience, if I was preparing that Muskrat I'd flame grill it nice & crispy then cook the living smurf out of it.....his leftovers looked underdone and seemed to have a lot of meat left on them.

There is still a lot they do that I don't understand, I'd be fishing a lot more.....

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #827 on: June 18, 2019, 02:20:37 PM
They (the show) makes excuses that all sites are more or less equal........as long as that participant can find the abundant resource in his area......does seem like a bit of a low blow.....

All locations will be different by nature, literaly speaking, but the other participants seemed to have fairly similar areas. Making one person the odd one out might turn out to be unfair - one way or the other. I assume they could find 10 similar areas in that huge landscape, so I guess there is some purpose or logic behind it. 

Speaking from complete inexperience, if I was preparing that Muskrat I'd flame grill it nice & crispy then cook the living smurf out of it.....his leftovers looked underdone and seemed to have a lot of meat left on them.

Something sure seemed to have survived and given him a hard time over it afterwards. I've been food poisoned once, and I've also had a distinct preferance for overdone cooking ever since.

There is still a lot they do that I don't understand, I'd be fishing a lot more.....

I assume they do a lot (unsuccesfully)  outside of the alloted TV time. I guess equipment sets some limits too? If I got it right they get to bring 10 items, and that might not give many options? That said if a fishing net and fishing hooks both counts as one (?), I think I would have gone with the net.

What do they all typically bring? From the top of my head: Tarp, sleeping bag, knife, firerod, saw and or axe, bow, multitool, kettle, line, rope - not much room left to play with there? .
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #828 on: June 18, 2019, 02:48:16 PM

It may have not been the muskrat or how it was prepared that was the cause of his TAP.

I read on his profile he had a heart attack, and was allowed to bring his medication (s). 

The muskrat was his first meal.  If he had been taking his meds as prescribed, but without food, he could have cause irritation in his digestive track and when meat was then consumed, the acids to digest the food could have inflamed his stomach and intestines causing severe pain like he described. 

Most meds require you to take with a meal, for that reason.

I did like his shelter and thought he was to be a contender.

Hope yours is as good!

Offline downt

Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone?
Reply #829 on: June 18, 2019, 10:10:01 PM
So do they need a 1 week competition to qualify for the chance? I wonder if they'd even have enough people entering...

Bit of a risk to quit your job indefinitely!

I bet very few have a job, actually. They get 7000 or so entrants every season.  They pick the ones least likey to make it, for at least 7 of the picks. 2-3 have to be female and at least on has to be a minority, if any apply. I think it will be wonica or Ray, since they are getting the most exposure.  By day 30, if you haven' fed yourself well and have at least 50 lbs of preserved food, you wont win unless you're the fattest guy on the show.

Offline downt

Reply #830 on: June 18, 2019, 10:19:39 PM
All locations will be different by nature, literaly speaking, but the other participants seemed to have fairly similar areas. Making one person the odd one out might turn out to be unfair - one way or the other. I assume they could find 10 similar areas in that huge landscape, so I guess there is some purpose or logic behind it. 

Something sure seemed to have survived and given him a hard time over it afterwards. I've been food poisoned once, and I've also had a distinct preferance for overdone cooking ever since.

I assume they do a lot (unsuccesfully)  outside of the alloted TV time. I guess equipment sets some limits too? If I got it right they get to bring 10 items, and that might not give many options? That said if a fishing net and fishing hooks both counts as one (?), I think I would have gone with the net.

What do they all typically bring? From the top of my head: Tarp, sleeping bag, knife, firerod, saw and or axe, bow, multitool, kettle, line, rope - not much room left to play with there? .

they supposedly are fishing but not catching anything. Every location I've seen, there's been ducks, and gulls. Take 25 BIG fishhooks, and convert them into 50, and then make 16 treblehooks, via the snarewire and the multitool. They can't START with barbed hooks this year, which might be why they are not catching any fish. I'd fix that shortage  with a charcoal fire a couple of hard rocks and the file blades of my Crunch

Offline downt

Reply #831 on: June 18, 2019, 10:29:54 PM
I was rooting for Britt to catch a fish, he did try.   If he had he was good for another few days.

Sam was having issues vacating his waste.  Once he announce the problem was resolved, I felt he was the one to beat as he continued to demonstrate his resilience and keep his mind and hands busy, including snow shoes for when the snow got deeper.  He was not exiting soon as he continued to look for ways to beat the weather.   Unfortunately he did not have success gathering fish or larger (than mice) animals.   His drop trapped appeared effective, but did not appear along a travel path or had bait and funnel to force his intended targets to be caught.  It was strange yet effective strategy.  I even questioned his item selections.

if I win this and my wife doesn't bring me Mounds bars or something similar, we're getting divorced as soon as I get home.

none of them knew to make lots of netting, Sam finally got off of his butt a little bit and made the tiny amount possible wth a mere  20m of paracord (using the inner strands but didn't even know to weight down the bottom strands with stones. He won because he was the fattest and britt came second because he was the second fattest. Unless somebody makes a lot of netting and knows how to use it, the fattest guy at day 30 will always win, barring a pure luck thing of snaring or arrowing a big critter. How many of them would know to braid four segments of the 20 ga wire into a cable strong enough to snare a moose's hoof to a drag log, or strangle a deer or caribou?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #832 on: June 18, 2019, 11:51:54 PM
How many of them would know to braid four segments of the 20 ga wire into a cable strong enough to snare a moose's hoof to a drag log, or strangle a deer or caribou?

From what I've seen of this show they pick people with pretty varied and relevant backgrounds. I've been impressed by quite a few, actually maybe even most of them over the seasons. And I'm fairly certain most know how to braid and trap  - I think the issue earlier seasons were more a ban against hunting bigger animals?

What I find somewhat interesting about the approach to fishing is that most adopt sport fishing methods. Which is fine as such, and usually the only allowed option for recreational fishing. Which might be what they are used to for that very reason. But if the goal isn't sport, but actually to get dinner, then most methods banned from sport fishing is likely more effective. (Usually the reason why they are banned in the first place).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline LoopCutter

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #833 on: June 19, 2019, 12:22:19 AM
I am pretty sure that the barb restriction is due to local fishing laws. Also, only allowed to take species in season most likely. 

I now from one episode a lynx was observed, and it was said it was protected. 

They are in Canada, the laws may varied to ours and even have greater restrictions for that territory.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 01:47:36 AM by LoopCutter »

Hope yours is as good!

Offline downt

Reply #834 on: June 19, 2019, 12:24:45 AM
From what I've seen of this show they pick people with pretty varied and relevant backgrounds. I've been impressed by quite a few, actually maybe even most of them over the seasons. And I'm fairly certain most know how to braid and trap  - I think the issue earlier seasons were more a ban against hunting bigger animals?

What I find somewhat interesting about the approach to fishing is that most adopt sport fishing methods. Which is fine as such, and usually the only allowed option for recreational fishing. Which might be what they are used to for that very reason. But if the goal isn't sport, but actually to get dinner, then most methods banned from sport fishing is likely more effective. (Usually the reason why they are banned in the first place).

As of yet, I've not been impressed by anyone's ability,( 5 seasons) nor their awareness of what to take or do.  I've been impressed by some of them's toughness, like Carleigh and Fowler. but that's it.

Offline downt

Reply #835 on: June 19, 2019, 12:28:49 AM
I am pretty sure that the barb restriction is due to local fishing laws. Also, only allowed to take species in season most likely. 

I now from one episode a lynx was observed, and it was said it was protected. 

They are in Canada, do laws may. E varied to ours. 

they can get the same "subsistence permit" given to the Innuit and indians, which lets them take any game or fish, as needed for FOOD.  They wont be arrowing any lynxes, from what I've seen of the way they walk on the show. Like cattle, clunk clunk.

FAR more likely, it's because of dummies getting a hook in their hands., cause they aint got brains enough to make a dip net out of a chunk of tarp and wood (takes half an hour and only an issue if they're in a boat, which only 2 have been. :-) I learned at age 13 to alwys drag the fish up onto the bank  man. Then you either club it, or put it onto a stringer. 15 ft up on the bank, you can't lose it, and you can put your foot on the fish  while you remove the hook.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #836 on: June 19, 2019, 01:29:07 AM
FAR more likely, it's because of dummies getting a hook in their hands., cause they aint got brains enough to make a dip net out of a chunk of tarp and wood (takes half an hour and only an issue if they're in a boat, which only 2 have been. :-) I learned at age 13 to alwys drag the fish up onto the bank  man. Then you either club it, or put it onto a stringer. 15 ft up on the bank, you can't lose it, and you can put your foot on the fish  while you remove the hook.

I see no need to call them dummies or question their intelligence. They made it onto the show which means they already surpassed the wast majority of applicants, and a big part of that will be due to their abilities and experience. You simply can not cast any random guy and drop them off alone in the wilderness - let alone in the arctic.

Sure they do mistakes, have accidents and go about their stuff in different ways. They all try to adapt strategies based on their particular skillset, but there is enough happenstance to kill off even the best of plans - which force them out of their comfort zone and expose their weaker areas.

I might do better than some at a few tasks, but I also know that most of those people would easily outlast me overall - and that is what counts. The technical survival skills need to be at a certain level, but I think the real challenge and deciding factors in the show are more at a mental level.

Age 13 sounds about 10 years late..  :pok:  :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #837 on: June 19, 2019, 10:02:37 AM

Well the one guy left the ferro rod so he could take a net.......almost flopped with the fire but did catch a fish......

I've fished for many species and strangely enough even rivers, but not that cold and not those species.  Just can't help but think there should be a lot of fish in those waters....

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #838 on: June 19, 2019, 12:18:57 PM
Well the one guy left the ferro rod so he could take a net.......almost flopped with the fire but did catch a fish......

I've fished for many species and strangely enough even rivers, but not that cold and not those species.  Just can't help but think there should be a lot of fish in those waters....

When it freezes over they can do ice fishing and no longer be limited to the shoreline. Snow also makes it easier to track prey, and the animals that don't change fur color will be easier to spot against the white. Some will also be attracted to remaining open water holes. So the cold isn't all bad. Should be an interesting season.

Wonder if any of the contestants brought a white sleeping bag?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• No Life Club
Reply #839 on: June 19, 2019, 12:30:01 PM
Wonder if any of the contestants brought a white sleeping bag?

That helps how?  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD