Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34893

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #900 on: August 12, 2019, 08:54:18 AM
 :think:
Fat, it seems we can't live without the stuff.

Very interesting twist for who I was sure would be the winner

Watched EP9 over the weekend, not much happened except for the the medical withdrawal, not so sure about the winner anymore.... :gimme:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #901 on: August 12, 2019, 11:10:50 AM
For the most part the body converts other excess food into fat for storage perfectly fine. Plenty of us with a bit too much weight can attest to that.

There are however a few so called essential fatty acids which the body can not make itself, and thus those need to be ingested. Those can be had from fish and various plants, so there are sources around for those. And although these are essential, and he might not have eaten any of them lately, he likely entered into the show with a normal balance and thus might still have some stored in the body.

If all they check are body fat percentage he just needs to eat more than he spends at activities. The body is great at converting excess into fat whether it comes from carbohydrates or protein.

He is still my favorite to win - although accidents and smurf might surely happen.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• No Life Club
Reply #902 on: August 12, 2019, 12:40:53 PM
He is still my favorite to win - although accidents and smurf might surely happen.

Same here, until he lost that fish.......

He was worried they's pull him due to weight loss despite having more than enough food, I guess the doctor(s) on duty can answer that question.

The lady that was pulled in the last episode honestly didn't look that skinny to me.....

I would be smashing that tap-out button after a week of no #2'ing, but then again I watched The Island, and I would also be just the right piece of tubing away from giving myself an enema  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #903 on: August 19, 2019, 10:22:06 AM
The end is neigh.......seems like there's a lady in the running to win this season  :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #904 on: August 24, 2019, 05:53:31 AM
Short season, most likely due to the cold and especially harsh conditions.  Jordan was the last man standing. That was the expected outcome since the day he killed the moose. However, I don't think he would have lasted more than a few more days the way he was talking about failing due to not getting enough fat to eat and how hopeless he was feeling about it.  The woman decided to quit on her birthday but I really think she would have won if she could have held out for just another week.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #905 on: August 24, 2019, 08:06:25 AM
Short season, most likely due to the cold and especially harsh conditions.  Jordan was the last man standing. That was the expected outcome since the day he killed the moose. However, I don't think he would have lasted more than a few more days the way he was talking about failing due to not getting enough fat to eat and how hopeless he was feeling about it.  The woman decided to quit on her birthday but I really think she would have won if she could have held out for just another week.

I thought it was the right and pretty clear winner, and also the expected one ever since they said he had spent years with reindeer herders in Siberia. The moose certainly helped, but it didn't just fall in his lap - he was going for it in a way beyond all the others.  He also kept fishing going, successfully, after the others had given up on that.

After winning he told his wife that he had more in the tank so I figured morale was still pretty good. He expected it would last until February, which I think would be about two more months, so his comments on how he was coming along might be seen in that light.

Apparently he had enough spare food when he won to invite the production crew to dinner.  :D

Overall a great season - and to me Wynona was a well deserved runner up. 
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #906 on: August 24, 2019, 03:34:51 PM
Congrats to him.  He was certainly a very skilled man.  I also enjoyed his attitude the whole time.   He kept problem solving and working to better his situation.  I think he had a lot left in the tank.  That last fish he caught was huge so his moral was high plus he had a nice meal of fats he needed. 

I was bummed she tapped but she knew it was time.  I really like her a lot.  She was a fighter and had a great attitude the whole way thru. 

I cant wait to watch them all together talk about their experiences. 

I was so bummed for the fella who burned his shelter down.  What a scary ordeal for him then to have to wait till morning to be picked. up. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #907 on: August 24, 2019, 04:11:03 PM
The last three, in my book, were all strong contenders, with great attitude and strong problem solving skills. 

I thought Jordan was done when he discovered he left his ladder up and then found the Wolverine had gnawed on his fish. Why had he not eaten the fish after catching?

Yet, cutting a hole and jigging for another fish showed he was not done. Also, liked how he was doing his speech to the med team of having a lot of energy to keep going.  As his wife crept up behind him. 

I was most surprised that the helicopter did not arrive till almost an hour and a half after sunrise.  He could have been frozen by then.  Bad call by the support team.  What if a wolf attack, or an accident involving a bleeding injury.  ???

New standards, kill and butcher a moose, ice fishing, Gill net below the ice, a wolverine kill, rabbit snares that are effective repeatedly and other skills shared made this the most educational Alone season to date. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #908 on: August 24, 2019, 04:24:38 PM
Goes to show even if you can call for help you still need to be resilient enough and keep fighting till help arrives.  He's gets high praise for getting that lean to up and staying in the fight.  Mentally tough as well as a fighter.   :salute: 

Jordan sounded like he had that speech all rehearsed  :D.  I was smiling as he was reciting it.  He sure sounded like he was ready to go back to fighting it out and with the fish in the pot he had the needed fuel to do so.  Mentally he also was tough and steady.  Nothing but praise for him. 

I'm still a bit in awe of his wolverine kill  :o.  That man went primal.       
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #909 on: August 27, 2019, 12:14:00 PM
Worthy winner indeed  :salute:
 :hatsoff:

The footage of the runner-up during pick-up was scary, especially when she smiled.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21