Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Quick Test: MTs vs. Bike Break Cable

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
on: June 24, 2015, 10:53:59 PM
So, recently I had to replace a bike break cable (about 1.5mm in diameter). Not particularly difficult material to cut, or is it?

I had my MP-600 handy but it didn't work too well, so I did a little comparison

The Contenders

Knipex pliers, well used, well tried, for me the gold standard
MP-600, got this from Stew looking new but I have no idea how fresh it is.
Surge, brand new and barely used wire-cutters
Spirit, unused wire-cutters
Re-Charge, last minute addition because it was laying around, unused wire-cutters.

Result

The picture shows representative results, in the end I did the cutting multiple-times.
KNIPEX. As expected, the Knipex performed admirably.

LOOSERS
With the MP-600 and SURGE, the break-cable bent and went in-between the cutters (tested both parts, regular cutters and hard-wire cutters with no difference). Of course its possible to cut with those but you need to bend the cable back and forth and turn and twist the cable and cut multiple times.

WINNERS
Both the SPIRIT and the RE-CHARGE simply clipped the cable into two pieces producing a clean cut.
wirecutters_00.jpg
* wirecutters_00.jpg (Filesize: 534.16 KB)
wirecutters_01.jpg
* wirecutters_01.jpg (Filesize: 497.06 KB)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:03:46 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Quick Test: MTs vs. Bike Break Cable
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:59:10 PM
Some detailed views of the LOOSERS

MP-600

Surge

After the first round, I was a bit taken aback that the Re-Charge did so well. So I went back for a second try with the Surge (same result). I then decided that for a representative overview, I should do 10 cuts each but this did not change the result a bit.

SPIRIT
Being mocked for its "inferior" wirecutters I think it did perform best (although the difference to the Re-Charge is marginal). Because I think the difference between Surge and Re-Charge might be due to manufacturing tolerance I tested two more Spirits (I don't have more Surges, Charges, Waves or MP-600). Both of those Spirits showed the same result as the first one, cutting the break-cable effortlessly.
wirecutters_mp600_01.jpg
* wirecutters_mp600_01.jpg (Filesize: 287.78 KB)
wirecutters_surge_01.jpg
* wirecutters_surge_01.jpg (Filesize: 302.44 KB)
wirecutters_surge_02.jpg
* wirecutters_surge_02.jpg (Filesize: 294.58 KB)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:02:33 PM by Etherealicer »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 11:14:29 PM
How did the Surge go with the handle side stranded-wire cutters?  :pok:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:29:10 PM
Didn't think of that (Surge noob)

Surge redeemed himself at first. That way it worked really well, 3-times. On the forth it got stuck, which is a real problem because the legs of the Surge buckled when I tried to open it up (a problem I did not have when using the pliers side wire-cutters).
End result was 7 clean cuts, 3-times it did not cut completely and twice of those got stuck badly. Because its quite a nuisance when it gets stuck, I would still count the Surge as a LOOSER, although it is capable to deliver a clean cut.

wirecutters_surge_03.jpg
* wirecutters_surge_03.jpg (Filesize: 228.26 KB)
wirecutters_surge_04.jpg
* wirecutters_surge_04.jpg (Filesize: 299.98 KB)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:30:33 PM by Etherealicer »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 11:41:49 PM
Ive never had much luck cutting brake/gear cables with mt's, my old wave failed many times, nice to know that my spirit might do better  :salute: ,im oddly surprised as many say that the spirits wire cutters arnt that good  :think: ,need to try mine out now  :tu: ,might even try the st1 vs spirit vs pst2  :tu:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:48 PM
What's this ??? Where's the SOG Powerlock to test  :twak:
SAW

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:57:50 PM
Thanks for those tests, Beat. :cheers:

SPIRIT
Being mocked for its "inferior" wirecutters I think it did perform best (although the difference to the Re-Charge is marginal). Because I think the difference between Surge and Re-Charge might be due to manufacturing tolerance I tested two more Spirits (I don't have more Surges, Charges, Waves or MP-600). Both of those Spirits showed the same result as the first one, cutting the break-cable effortlessly.

Not surprised one bit. :whistle: You misread the "inferior" wirecutters comments. The Spirit and Swisstool are excellent wire cutters for hard wire, fencing wire, ... anything heavy duty. Where they fail is at cutting soft, stranded wire. 

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 01:20:20 AM
I guess the real issue is why you want to sabotage someone's bike.   >:D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:36:40 AM
SOG Powerlock eats that stuff for breakfast.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 01:46:15 AM
Thanks for the insight :hatsoff:

I'm surprised at the difference between the Surge and Rebar plier heads. Or am I :think: yes, I think I am. I'd expect a bit of inconsistency but not on that spectrum.

MP600 is a shame. I'm pretty sure a fresh MP700 would romp through it, but develop pivot play (too) quickly due to the internal spring. I'd expect the unsprung MP600 to not develop pivot play as easily

Glad to hear about the Spirit. I wasn't altogether sure how it would fare with it being stranded despite not being soft fine strands (which is where it mainly struggles)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 07:21:44 AM
In the mail from you to me, maybe :whistle:

No, the only SOG I own is a Pocket Powerpliers and CrossGrip.
Pocket Powerpliers: Eat the cable like it was spaghetti.
CrossGrip: Surprisingly, the cable did not get stuck, but I also did not manage to cut the cable and my hand hurts now (I gave up after the second try). I kinda feel that with a better grip it could do it, if I find some tubes that fit over the handle I might try again.

Also tested the Squirt: It got stuck really badly. Ultimately I used to pliers to grip the tip and open it. Only one try here.
wirecutters_micra_01.jpg
* wirecutters_micra_01.jpg (Filesize: 182.04 KB)
wirecutters_crosscut_01.jpg
* wirecutters_crosscut_01.jpg (Filesize: 256.17 KB)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:36:46 AM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 07:32:43 AM
Thanks for the insight :hatsoff:

I'm surprised at the difference between the Surge and Rebar plier heads. Or am I :think: yes, I think I am. I'd expect a bit of inconsistency but not on that spectrum.

MP600 is a shame. I'm pretty sure a fresh MP700 would romp through it, but develop pivot play (too) quickly due to the internal spring. I'd expect the unsprung MP600 to not develop pivot play as easily

Glad to hear about the Spirit. I wasn't altogether sure how it would fare with it being stranded despite not being soft fine strands (which is where it mainly struggles)
Rebar vs. Surge: Me too, I wish I had more than one, just to check if its manufacturing, but I don't. I can't detect any play with either pliershead.

The MP-600 has some minimal play to begin with (I estimate that I can move the tips of the jaws less than half a mm). How does the MP-600 do with soft fine strands?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 07:34:52 AM
I guess the real issue is why you want to sabotage someone's bike.   >:D
What can I say, he was in my spot. That was my spots...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 07:36:58 AM

SPIRIT

Not surprised one bit. :whistle: You misread the "inferior" wirecutters comments. The Spirit and Swisstool are excellent wire cutters for hard wire, fencing wire, ... anything heavy duty. Where they fail is at cutting soft, stranded wire.
Thanks for the attitude adjustment (wow, that is an obscure movie reference, ten points for house MT.O if you get it :P).

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 07:47:14 AM
You meant squirt, not Micra   :D

With my ST300, I do cut stranded wire regularly (clothesline) but use the handle side, special stranded wire cutters.  the pliers cutters are not very good for that 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 08:38:19 AM

Thank you lol

Ps: "Brake" ;-)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:40:22 AM by Rossko07 »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 08:44:21 AM
You meant squirt, not Micra   :D

With my ST300, I do cut stranded wire regularly (clothesline) but use the handle side, special stranded wire cutters.  the pliers cutters are not very good for that
There is no proof I ever wrote Micra :P, also I wrote this in the morning BEFORE the alarm went off, so technically, I was still asleep.

I tested that with the Surge too (that is the same pliers-head, right?). It got stuck, so it might depend very much on the composition of your stranded wire. Or it might be manufacturing tolerance. Strangely enough, the Rebar pliers-head did cut it well with the pliers cutters.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 08:46:11 AM

Thank you lol

Ps: "Brake" ;-)
Nonononono... it's break because it gives you a short break from your ultimate collision with death... or sumsing... :facepalm:

Oh and in case you missed the Surge handle side stranded-wire cutters test... it failed!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 08:47:56 AM by Etherealicer »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 09:33:32 AM

SPIRIT

Thanks for the attitude adjustment (wow, that is an obscure movie reference, ten points for house MT.O if you get it :P).

Dazed and Confused?

:fugly:

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 10:13:09 AM
Spirit FTW! :)

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 10:27:22 AM
Thanks for your effort and the info :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:56 AM

SPIRIT

Dazed and Confused?

:fugly:
The #1 enemy of the state is Edgar Friendly... Solid '90s action... lots of stars (Stallone, Snipes, Bullock)

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 11:15:21 AM
The #1 enemy of the state is Edgar Friendly... Solid '90s action... lots of stars (Stallone, Snipes, Bullock)

Demolition Man... Nice film.

:viking:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:47 PM
Good work, E. :tu:

Was spannering one of my bikes tonight and thought I'd add my findings.  Dug out a few multis and some brake cable to test - all ones that I feel would work in a bike tool kit, so the SwissTool is out.  Got a Spirit, Rebar, Wave, MP400, Crunch and my new SwitchPlier 2.  Also used my Park Tool cable cutters as a benchmark

First up, Park Tool CN-10

Very good clean cut, easy to grip and not a lot of force needed.  No frayed ends.

Next, SOG SwitchPlier 2.0

Disappointing.  Didn't cut through and very hard on my hands when squeezing tight.

Leatherman Crunch

Also disappointing.  Didn't cut through, cable splayed sideways and got jammed between the jaws.

Leatherman Wave

Didn't cut through on the first, second or third cut, eventually got it on the 4th.  Frayed the ends, generally made a meal of it but did the job eventually.

Gerber MP400

Very surprising, this one - I wasn't expecting much, but it cut through cleanly and easily on the first try.  No frayed ends!

Victorinox Spirit

Cut through first try but not as clean a cut as the Gerber.  Expected better.

Leatherman Rebar

The first cut I tried slipped out of the end of the cutters and one strand was left attached.  I tried again, making sure the cable was held in place and this time got a good, if slightly uneven, cut.  Uncomfortable to grip - the Wave was better.

I also had a delivery of 2.2mm and 2.5mm brass rod today and needed to cut it up for storage.  All of the pliers except the SwitchPlier handled the 2.5mm rod with ease - the SwitchPlier only got about 1/3 of the way through and I had to bend the rod to finish.  All of them worked just fine on the 2.2mm, and I know from experience that the Spirit and Rebar both cut 3mm brass rod easily.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #24 on: July 01, 2015, 10:56:49 PM
Wow!!! Great tests, thank guys!!! :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:58:23 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 11:30:39 PM
Good work, E. :tu:

Was spannering one of my bikes tonight and thought I'd add my findings.  Dug out a few multis and some brake cable to test - all ones that I feel would work in a bike tool kit, so the SwissTool is out.  Got a Spirit, Rebar, Wave, MP400, Crunch and my new SwitchPlier 2.  Also used my Park Tool cable cutters as a benchmark

First up, Park Tool CN-10

Very good clean cut, easy to grip and not a lot of force needed.  No frayed ends.

Next, SOG SwitchPlier 2.0

Disappointing.  Didn't cut through and very hard on my hands when squeezing tight.

Leatherman Crunch

Also disappointing.  Didn't cut through, cable splayed sideways and got jammed between the jaws.

Leatherman Wave

Didn't cut through on the first, second or third cut, eventually got it on the 4th.  Frayed the ends, generally made a meal of it but did the job eventually.

Gerber MP400

Very surprising, this one - I wasn't expecting much, but it cut through cleanly and easily on the first try.  No frayed ends!

Victorinox Spirit

Cut through first try but not as clean a cut as the Gerber.  Expected better.

Leatherman Rebar

The first cut I tried slipped out of the end of the cutters and one strand was left attached.  I tried again, making sure the cable was held in place and this time got a good, if slightly uneven, cut.  Uncomfortable to grip - the Wave was better.

I also had a delivery of 2.2mm and 2.5mm brass rod today and needed to cut it up for storage.  All of the pliers except the SwitchPlier handled the 2.5mm rod with ease - the SwitchPlier only got about 1/3 of the way through and I had to bend the rod to finish.  All of them worked just fine on the 2.2mm, and I know from experience that the Spirit and Rebar both cut 3mm brass rod easily.
Thanks for chipping in.

Appears that the replaceable wire-cutters on the MP-600 are not a benefit for every task. I should soon have one without too, so I will probably extend my test.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 11:56:16 PM
I love these kinds of tests :D :D
SAW

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 06:16:59 AM
Thanks for chipping in.

Appears that the replaceable wire-cutters on the MP-600 are not a benefit for every task. I should soon have one without too, so I will probably extend my test.

My pleasure.

I think the same of the replaceable cutters on the Rebar - definitely an advantage for some situations (hard wire, serviceability) but have disadvantages too (reduced gripping area, complexity, only come on a plier head with coarse teeth).

hr Offline styx

Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 10:18:44 AM

SPIRIT

Yea, but the scissors work great on that sort of wire  :cheers:

Actually I was surprised at the great Spirit result and anything but good Surge result. Still in both tests the Rebar pliers worked good, so what gives?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: July 02, 2015, 12:37:07 PM
I didn't test the Surge, so I can only assume it was operator error. ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%