Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge or Wave?

Mike · 62 · 5503

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Charge or Wave?
on: August 04, 2008, 10:31:21 PM
Ok Leatherheads, if you could choose .... would it be a Charge or a Wave. No add-ons like bit kits or adapters or anything like that, though a pocket clip is fine. Just the multi-tool itself.

The reason I am asking is because I am thinking of getting a Core and pairing it up with either a Charge or a Wave. The Core would stay in my bag, and the Charge or Wave would be used with the pocket clip in my pocket.

Let the games begin.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Re: Charge or Wave?
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:16 PM
I would choose the Wave because I like the look of it.
(

us Offline getahl

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 11:06:03 PM
As much as I love my Charge, I would choose the Wave. I have never used the belt cutter other than as a hook to grab something that fell into a tight spot (can't remember what it was), and the crimper kind of bugs me at the end of the plierheads. Otherwise, they're basically the same unit.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:32 PM
The Charge - no question for me. The Ti handles aren't going to get scratched in a hurry.

I also use the gut-hook a lot, for opening parcels without having to worry too much about damaging the contents. I also find that the Charge has a more solid feel to it than the Wave, and it's nice to know that the 154CM / S30V blade is there should you need it.

I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:16:51 AM
I'd vote Wave- I just don't see the justification for the more expensive Charge.  They do the same jobs, and each just as well as the other, but the Wave is significantly more affordable than the Charge, and I don't feel that fancy scales are worth the extra money.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:09:21 AM
Vote for the charge, smoother edges wave bites palm sometimes.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:14:22 AM
I am really curious about this question too. I don't have either but am looking to get one of them.

As far as I can tell, the biggest differences are the handles, main blade steel, gut hook, and crimper.

I like the improved knife steel. I would actually prefer not to have a crimper. I am not sure about the gut hook. But I don't think it is these features which have really won people over.

I think many people are simply drawn by the handles - the material, the look, the comfort, and possibly the feel.

But I think the handles are mainly just marketing hype. The weight issue apparently doesn't stand up under scrutiny, so may as well forget about that. The titanium and aluminum are just inserts, so they are not functionally better. Leatherman could have made very similar handles for the Wave using regular materials at a fraction of the cost, and they would have been functionally identical.

The one thing that mitigates the price is that I think they include more extras, like bits and clips with the Charge. Not sure how much those would cost separately.
[

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 02:25:54 AM
I guess I will have to give my vote to the Wave ::) I don't have a Charge, doesn't mean that I wouldn't want 1 lust don't have 1 ;) but the Wave has everything I need and a little :o :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 02:31:20 AM
I am really curious about this question too. I don't have either but am looking to get one of them.

As far as I can tell, the biggest differences are the handles, main blade steel, gut hook, and crimper.

I like the improved knife steel. I would actually prefer not to have a crimper. I am not sure about the gut hook. But I don't think it is these features which have really won people over.

I think many people are simply drawn by the handles - the material, the look, the comfort, and possibly the feel.

But I think the handles are mainly just marketing hype. The weight issue apparently doesn't stand up under scrutiny, so may as well forget about that. The titanium and aluminum are just inserts, so they are not functionally better. Leatherman could have made very similar handles for the Wave using regular materials at a fraction of the cost, and they would have been functionally identical.

The one thing that mitigates the price is that I think they include more extras, like bits and clips with the Charge. Not sure how much those would cost separately.

You got it! Those are all the differences between the Wave and the Charge TTi. The Charge AL is the same but with annodised alumin(i)um handles and a 154CM blade (as opposed to the TTi's S30V), the ALX is the same as the AL but has no scissors and an extra bit driver in their place. You get the pocket clip, lanyard ring a small bit kit with all the Charge models.

I disagree about the Ti handles being "just marketing hype". There's definitely an element of that, and they do look great but they do perform one function and that is being tougher than the Wave, and boy are they tough. If you have arthritis like I do, you drop things a fair bit and the TTi simply just bounces :D I don't use my Wave and therefore haven't dropped it, but I bet it wouldn't fare so well.

If you're genuinely ties between the two - maybe the slightly cheaper Charge AL is a good compromise? The AL / ALX are the best looking in the range IMO:

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 03:08:04 AM

You got it! Those are all the differences between the Wave and the Charge TTi. The Charge AL is the same but with annodised alumin(i)um handles and a 154CM blade (as opposed to the TTi's S30V), the ALX is the same as the AL but has no scissors and an extra bit driver in their place. You get the pocket clip, lanyard ring a small bit kit with all the Charge models.

I disagree about the Ti handles being "just marketing hype". There's definitely an element of that, and they do look great but they do perform one function and that is being tougher than the Wave, and boy are they tough. If you have arthritis like I do, you drop things a fair bit and the TTi simply just bounces :D I don't use my Wave and therefore haven't dropped it, but I bet it wouldn't fare so well.

If you're genuinely ties between the two - maybe the slightly cheaper Charge AL is a good compromise? The AL / ALX are the best looking in the range IMO:

So I take it Dave votes for the Charge ::) :D

Offline Carthas

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 03:12:26 AM
I'd go the Charge AL. It doesn't cost much extra than the Wave, and the pocket clip comes with it as standard.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 03:35:37 AM
The thing I am even more curious about is whether the Wave has any advantages over the Charge (other than price).

A few people out there seem to simply prefer the Wave over the Charge. Not because of cost difference, etc., but because they simply like it better than the Charge.
[

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 04:05:44 AM
Some very well thought out reasons for choosing the Charge or the Wave. Remember, this would be in conjunction with the Core if that helps with your decision.

This is excellent, thank you.
Mike

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 04:49:53 AM
The 25th Anniversary Wave is nice looking, too.

"

Offline ultimaonliner

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 04:56:02 AM
Screw the Wave vs Charge debate.  Get one of these instead:

:ahhh  :ahhh   :ahhh     :ahhh         :ahhh                 :ahhh

"

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 05:05:22 AM
Screw the Wave vs Charge debate.  Get one of these instead:

(Image removed from quote.)

:ahhh  :ahhh   :ahhh     :ahhh         :ahhh                 :ahhh

::) :o ;) You could get one of those if you have a whole lot of stapeling to do :P :ahhh :D

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:30 AM
I might be the only person on the planet with this opinion, but I think the Swiss Business Tool was a great idea. If they just rethink the stapler design a little, these could sell very well.
[

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2008, 05:15:22 AM
Hmmmmm, not really diggin' the stapler tool. Remember, I just gotta have the pliers. And it doesn't appear to have a pocket clip attachment either. :D

Mike

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 05:21:52 AM
It doesn't need a pocket clip. You just staple it to your pocket!  :D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 02:18:31 PM

Dave, you made a good argument for the Charge, then shot holes in it!

You said that the titanium handles on the Charge are tougher than the Wave, and that you drop it a lot, and that the (steel) Wave wouldn't stand up to that kind of abuse like the titanium will.  Excellent point.  Then you endorse the aluminum model as an alternative, but isn't aluminum much softer than steel?  Or did I read the post wrong?   :ahhh

Seems to me that with the point you are making, the aluminum models would be in last place, behind the Wave in second place and the Ti/XTi/TTi models at the top?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline EM745

Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 09:11:35 PM
Vote for the charge, smoother edges wave bites palm sometimes.

An emphatic +1 to that.

Having owned both the Wave and the TTi, I can say the Charge (the titanium ones at least) are MUCH easier on the hands when using the pliers (especially noticeable on the skin atop your fingers, when opening the pliers).

That alone makes the TTi worth the extra cost, IMHO. And then there's the guthook, pocket clip, basic bit kit, and S30V blade--all of which are extra or not available on the Wave.

Offline Hoghead

Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 10:17:00 PM
I vote for the Charge, but I would buy a Wave over any model with a crimper in the pliers. I would also prefer not to have the gut hook but this is not a deal breaker for me. I know some like the crimper and the gut hook. I recommend you just buy the tool with the features that you like.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 10:32:38 PM
LM should have updated the Wave's handle design as well while they were at it. Instead they left a flaw in the Wave they obviously felt existed and decided to "Charge" for the remedy...  ;)
[

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 11:55:52 PM
Dave, you made a good argument for the Charge, then shot holes in it!

I did really didn't I? :D

You said that the titanium handles on the Charge are tougher than the Wave, and that you drop it a lot, and that the (steel) Wave wouldn't stand up to that kind of abuse like the titanium will.  Excellent point.  Then you endorse the aluminum model as an alternative, but isn't aluminum much softer than steel?  Or did I read the post wrong?   :ahhh

Seems to me that with the point you are making, the aluminum models would be in last place, behind the Wave in second place and the Ti/XTi/TTi models at the top?

Def

This is true, but given that the AL / ALX also come with the pocket clip, detachable lanyard ring and some bits (and an infinitely better sheath) I'd still go for the AL personally. Especially as the Core would be used for the tough jobs I assume.

OK I admit it, I just think the whole world should own a Charge :D

As an aside, has anyone noticed that you rarely see used Ti or XTi models on ebay? It's the same with Swisstools and Spirits. I guess people don't part with these tools - so it isn't just me ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 12:02:41 AM
I thought of liquidating my XTi since I dislike it so, but then those dirty buggers at Leatherman discontinued it, and so now it's a collectible and I have to keep it!

I also consider myself lucky to have gotten my Ti on eBay- they are there, you just have to have exceptional luck, brilliant timing, and absolutely no life to get one... I had Tim snipe mine for me as I only have one of the three...

Def

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 12:10:03 AM
I thought of liquidating my XTi since I dislike it so, but then those dirty buggers at Leatherman discontinued it, and so now it's a collectible and I have to keep it!

I also consider myself lucky to have gotten my Ti on eBay- they are there, you just have to have exceptional luck, brilliant timing, and absolutely no life to get one... I had Tim snipe mine for me as I only have one of the three...

Def

They do that don't they?

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 01:13:05 AM
I'll go for the wave. The 25th anniversary issue..man! really nice!

no Offline Offroad

Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 01:14:32 AM
Charge or Wave?... :think: hmm......CHARGE  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 03:27:13 AM

Somehow we sorta figured that would be your opinion Mr Offroad...... ::) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 03:59:31 AM

Somehow we sorta figured that would be your opinion Mr Offroad...... ::) :D

:o Were ever did you come 2 that conclusion Bob ::) :D ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%