Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

safety

Offline jake8218

safety
on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:23 AM
What tool would u recommend to Cary in ur bunker gear :climber:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: safety
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:26:23 AM
Not being a firefighter myself I can't say for sure but there are quite a few folks on here that do fight fires or that are paramedics, I'm sure someone with experience will be along shortly to help!

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 12:38:14 PM
Victorinox Rescue tool and a Leatherman OHT together. Excellent one-handed capability and using with gloves.
An alternative might be a LM Raptor and Surge as a combo. But forget using it single handed or with big heavy gloves.
If you are on a budget the LM Wave is a great one handed tool but same rules apply.

Im not a firefighter but I find in order of importance for me as Paramedic the most useful individual tools in order of importance are a :-   Safety blade of some sort for seat belts and helmet staps; Large Flat head screwdriver for prying and scissors for cutting clothing. Lastly a glass breaker is a bonus which you are more likely to use for getting yourself or one of your buddies out through a window if you crash your vehicle.

Let me know if you want me to be more specific.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:03:05 PM
How about a pair of FirePliers?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,15964.msg308619.html#msg308619

Looks like the web site is no longer in use however...even though you may still be able to s core a pair off of eBay.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 02:06:04 PM
Victorinox Rescue tool and a Leatherman OHT together. Excellent one-handed capability and using with gloves.
An alternative might be a LM Raptor and Surge as a combo. But forget using it single handed or with big heavy gloves.
If you are on a budget the LM Wave is a great one handed tool but same rules apply.

Im not a firefighter but I find in order of importance for me as Paramedic the most useful individual tools in order of importance are a :-   Safety blade of some sort for seat belts and helmet staps; Large Flat head screwdriver for prying and scissors for cutting clothing. Lastly a glass breaker is a bonus which you are more likely to use for getting yourself or one of your buddies out through a window if you crash your vehicle.

Let me know if you want me to be more specific.
Well, not a firefighter either, but most of them carry an axe, so prying and glass breaking is covered well.
At least here, firefighter mostly have to save people (get them out of a vehicle, building etc) then hand them over to paramedics, so scissors and safety blade would probably be overkill. I'd go with the safety blade.

So I would think a firefighter primarily needs a sturdy rescue blade in addition to the axe.

Since it's specifically asked to carry with the bunker gear, I assume gloves (and thick ones at that).
So I would suggest a OPT, fixed blade rescue blade (nothing can bend or melt in the heat making the tool useless), something like the Boker Plus Rescom or Boker Cop Tool

A OHT as a backup might be a good idea but for the same reasons I would go for a OPT rescue blade, I could see regular pliers, especially ones with a large wire-cutter area as more suited:

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

au Offline TheDude

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 02:52:20 PM
I think if you are carrying an axe you would be set. But they are rather heavy. :think:
I assume OP is after something he can have with him at all times.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 03:31:05 PM
I think if you are carrying an axe you would be set. But they are rather heavy. :think:
I don't know, just imagine that cutting a belt with an axe could be difficulte :shrug:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 06:06:48 PM
I don't know, just imagine that cutting a belt with an axe could be difficulte :shrug:

Cutting the seatbelt isn't hard, it's not cutting the person wearing it that's the problem.

Especially with an ax... :facepalm:

au Offline TheDude

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:10:55 AM
We all love tools. But honestly a good sharp pair of shears does most things in an emergency that you don't have in the vehicle. The employer will often supply everything you need but generally manufactured by the lowest bidder. Like the $1 shears which can be challenging to cut boots off with. A good pry tool can be used to gain access to someones home by force in an immediately life thretening situation or to get yourself out!  A glass breaker is also good if you need to get a child or animal out of a hot car the quick way in summer. But it does send small fragments of glass in delicate areas, like eyes. Pliers are especially good for picking up sharp things like IV needs that are often left lying around apartments.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:13:16 AM by TheDude »

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:57 AM
My Raptor is one of my favorite tools. I use it to open parcels, clam packages, etc. I keep it in the open position in my tool box so it's always at the ready. 

:hatsoff: to Leatherman for making them.
SAW

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 02:37:53 AM
A headlamp or L shaped (90degree) torch? I'm not a firefighter, served as a medic.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD