Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crow's nest

Crow · 514 · 24528

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Re: Crow's nest
Reply #60 on: July 26, 2015, 11:05:09 PM
I only ever use an iron pan (skillet, if you will)
Best way to cook....anything! (also give you forearms like popeye)

V. Nice Cabin.

I might have to move to Finland if there are places like that in it.

I will help you to seek place if you will. This is great place to live, even if weather is what it is.

I am new using cast iron in coocking, but i am learning fast. Everything comes so much different/better than teflon coating. But i am not yet letting tefal totally off from my coocking... Not yet...

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: August 02, 2015, 05:57:23 PM
Been busy week. Atleast when it was not raining.

Tuesday i starter working on my garage building, that i rent. I am meaning to paint all wooden parts, including windows. i managed to do one side rasping and cleaning, and my neighbour comes and says last storm torn one big branch from my oak tree. Damn thing was still hanging up almost 5 meter high. Guess whom had to climb up there to cut it off... While i was up, i decided to cut few other bad condition branches off. Bloody operation took two hours including taking branches to city compost.

Well, next day i notice someone leaving his car next to road, and goes walking and looking around. Ofcourse i go asking what he is up to. He is towns lumberjack and he is going to cut off unwanted willows and trees. Just cleaning place, down. So i start asking if they could cut bad rotten trees around my property. Trees are on towns property and i fear some storm will take them down on my garage. He says to call his boss, what i did. Talking to the guy we agree, that they cut trees down, and i get to keep them for little money.

Couple days now, when not raining, i have been collecting trees to be made for fire wood. Same time i have been cleaning my garage building to be painted,  and cleaning its surroundings from garbage.

Did i mention, that carnival is in town? Oh yes. Today whole family went to carnival with bike. And yes, It was raining. But we got lucky, we got to take our girls to few machines,  and have fun without getting wet. They are soon turning three years old, so they were all over the place. I love those smiles, when are having so much fun. Couple ice creams, wether it was so cold. And hot chocolate drink to get us warmed up again.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: August 04, 2015, 12:40:57 PM
Today it arrived. LedLenser TT. Thanks to MTO's and LedLenser's generous giveaway, i won this beautiful light. Once it gets fall, and dark enough, this slips to my pocket. Might take it to work before that.

When it gets darker, i will take some beam shots outside to let you guys see how it does. But now i only show you what was inside the packet.
20150804_125358.jpg
* 20150804_125358.jpg (Filesize: 261.8 KB)

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48:46 PM
Light came inside this cardboard box. First when you open it, you'll see light, batteries and roll guard. Underneath there is lanyard,  and user guide with warranty info.

Roll guard is nice feature that you can easily put on and take off by unscrewing battery cap.

Lanyard is nice and thick, but end that you attach it to torch is thin and long.

More of this light, when i get to use it some more.
20150804_125515.jpg
* 20150804_125515.jpg (Filesize: 265.91 KB)

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: August 10, 2015, 08:25:32 PM
Last weekend had a big carboot sales happening near town to us. Whole family decided to go. Wife wanted to go because she and kids could go swimming at the spa, and i wanted to dig through rusty gold.

I did manage to get few needed things.  Mostly there was beautiful old cars and motorcycles to see, and some overpriced antiques as sellers claimed their broken stuff to be.

Anyways, this what i got.
20150810_180840.jpg
* 20150810_180840.jpg (Filesize: 267.61 KB)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #65 on: August 10, 2015, 09:20:35 PM

That is one serious tooth-extractor! (2nd from the top)

What is the bottom tool? Looks like like a pick, but it seems like the metal head would easily come off the handle...  ???
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: August 10, 2015, 09:38:39 PM

That is one serious tooth-extractor! (2nd from the top)

What is the bottom tool? Looks like like a pick, but it seems like the metal head would easily come off the handle...  ???

Axe is actually quite small, so might make others look bigger than they are.

That is a pickaroon. Used for lifting logs. Head does not come off easily.  It is held in place by just two nails, and sits there rather good. Now it is bit loose, but I will have to fix it a bit. Great tool for its purpose.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: August 21, 2015, 08:07:16 PM
I have not been so active lately. I have been working on my properties. My garage building is on work, and i have been painting it. Work goes on slowly, mostly because my back hurts so much.

Anyhow, i have scratched old loose paint off now. I have painted once with base coat, and around windows with one primary coat. I think two or three days and i have painted most wooden parts two times with primary coats.

This leaves one wall to think what to do with it. It is old door which has not been used. Doors are in poor condition, and i want to dissassemble them. For now i have no willing to do this extra work, and i think i will just paint them over once more, to get them going for a couple years. Then they just have to be torn down.

And my back,  and everything just hurts...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:11:48 PM by Crow »

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015, 08:42:00 PM
I have not been so active lately. I have been working on my properties. My garage building is on work, and i have been painting it. Work goes on slowly, mostly because my back hurts so much.

Anyhow, i have scratched old loose paint off now. I have painted once with base coat, and around windows with one primary coat. I think two or three days and i have painted most wooden parts two times with primary coats.

This leaves one wall to think what to do with it. It is old door which has not been used. Doors are in poor condition, and i want to dissassemble them. For now i have no willing to do this extra work, and i think i will just paint them over once more, to get them going for a couple years. Then they just have to be torn down.

Take care of yourself buddy  :pok: :D
SAW

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 08:51:35 PM

Take care of yourself buddy  :pok: :D

Thank you, i will.

Stuff just keeps piling up this year. There is so much fire wood to cut down, and chop down for this fall. I bought bunch of it from city.

Not many knows, that i had one year off of work. I wanted to relax, and enjoy looking after my twin daughters. Now in three weeks, i will be heading back to work.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 09:24:47 PM
Last weekend had a big carboot sales happening near town to us. Whole family decided to go. Wife wanted to go because she and kids could go swimming at the spa, and i wanted to dig through rusty gold.

I did manage to get few needed things.  Mostly there was beautiful old cars and motorcycles to see, and some overpriced antiques as sellers claimed their broken stuff to be.

Nice rusties Mate  :tu:

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #71 on: August 22, 2015, 04:53:43 AM
Sorry to read about your back problems. Take it easy, or you'll be in misery when you go back to work.

Good decision about the door, I think.

About the firewood, do you have a chainsaw? That makes a lot of the work go easier. Maybe consider a power log splitter too...
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: August 22, 2015, 07:45:19 AM
Sorry to read about your back problems. Take it easy, or you'll be in misery when you go back to work.

Good decision about the door, I think.

About the firewood, do you have a chainsaw? That makes a lot of the work go easier. Maybe consider a power log splitter too...

I do have a chainsaw. Right now those woods have been cut to three meter long, and i will cut them down to 35 cm. I will get hydraulic splitter for loan,   that presses 3 tons of force to split those logs. Good thing is, i will get help with making them. That hydraulic splitter is pain and slow to use alone. Rather use axe if i am doing them alone.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #73 on: August 22, 2015, 08:25:23 AM
....That hydraulic splitter is pain and slow to use alone. Rather use axe if i am doing them alone.

I split all my firewood with an axe.  For the last 30 years I used the typical heavy maul style splitter, but recently have been using a Fiskars X27 and it was splitting the logs so easily I also bought an X25 - this has a shorter handle and so is easier to swing and more accurate.  I find it (X25) has enough splitting power to do over 90% of my logs (and some of our Aussie eucalypts have that horrible crinkly grain that is difficult to split).  It certainly has made splitting easier on my back.  Note that I'm a big bloke and can exert a lot of hitting power if I wind up (but not always as accurate as I'd like). YMMV

If your wood is very easy to split I've seen a few videos of people using tyres to hold logs while you make multiple strikes (saves picking up pieces after each hit), that might also be worth considering to make life easier.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: August 22, 2015, 08:41:46 AM
....That hydraulic splitter is pain and slow to use alone. Rather use axe if i am doing them alone.

I split all my firewood with an axe.  For the last 30 years I used the typical heavy maul style splitter, but recently have been using a Fiskars X27 and it was splitting the logs so easily I also bought an X25 - this has a shorter handle and so is easier to swing and more accurate.  I find it (X25) has enough splitting power to do over 90% of my logs (and some of our Aussie eucalypts have that horrible crinkly grain that is difficult to split).  It certainly has made splitting easier on my back.  Note that I'm a big bloke and can exert a lot of hitting power if I wind up (but not always as accurate as I'd like). YMMV

If your wood is very easy to split I've seen a few videos of people using tyres to hold logs while you make multiple strikes (saves picking up pieces after each hit), that might also be worth considering to make life easier.

I have Fiskars X17 i think. Used heck out of it, and it splits even bigger and wet logs. Been thinking of getting X25. Went to store and handled both X25 and X27, and i just might go with X25 for its shorter easier handle. Most wood is birch, so it is hard wood with reasonable amount of branches.

I have one huge log from previous years, but no tire on it. That sounds good idea worth to try, thank you.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: August 25, 2015, 09:08:43 PM
I am on my last wall on my painting project. Had to take day off to gather some strength. This evening i scraped old paint off, and applied base coat. Tomorrow i will paint first coating. Looks it might rain on thursday, so will see if i can apply second before that. And i hope there is enoug paint left for second coat.

I want to thank Mike 56 for a nice trade we did.  :hatsoff: Thank you sir. I hope yours arrives soon.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #76 on: August 27, 2015, 03:03:10 PM
Nice blog, Crow!    :)

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: August 27, 2015, 03:05:58 PM

:cheers: man. Where have you been? Haven't seen you around in awhile.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #78 on: August 27, 2015, 03:59:32 PM

I just had a lot of work to do during the past 18 months or so.    :cheers:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #79 on: August 27, 2015, 04:16:32 PM
I miss my old wood stove in the basement of my original Maryland home. That would get things so warm and toasty and to be perfectly honest, I did not mind handling the firewood for it.
SAW

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #80 on: August 27, 2015, 06:27:00 PM

I just had a lot of work to do during the past 18 months or so.    :cheers:

That must have been really lots to do. Some of us wondered what happened to you, in the past.

I miss my old wood stove in the basement of my original Maryland home. That would get things so warm and toasty and to be perfectly honest, I did not mind handling the firewood for it.

I like my fireplace, and i do not mind either making firewood. It is just to find time doing it, and good day when my back feels like it.

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #81 on: August 27, 2015, 06:30:36 PM
@Crow

You're right.

I should have notified this forum.

Sorry!    :(

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: August 27, 2015, 06:37:12 PM
@Crow

You're right.

I should have notified this forum.

Sorry!    :(

Don't be sorry. Real life is more important. :pok:

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: August 27, 2015, 06:39:03 PM
This morning me and the kids went to kindergarden to see the place. They are starting it in ten days. We stayed there for three hours. They did not want to leave, had so much fun playing.

We just got from swimming with whole family. Kids enjoyed warm kiddies pool, and i enjoyed from hot pool, and waterjets. Sore muscles got good beating. Hopefully good night ahead of us.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #84 on: August 31, 2015, 04:11:39 PM
Today me and my father in law decided to cut woods to their size. Two chainsaws workin,  four litres gasoline and five hours later all was cut. Now just carry all to one place and start chopping. Will have to wait someone to come use hydraulic splitter with me.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: September 12, 2015, 04:52:02 PM
Well, last 18 hours has not been kind to me. Last night my daughter showed signs of getting sick. All night she was restless and crying quite much. Today was carboot sale day. When it is possible in this town, i am selling my stuff there. Things like old kids clothes, home apparels some tools and knives and multis., stuff i do not need anymore. My wife usually joins me selling clothes.

Morning started slow and tired, because of night. We were going out, and put my light trailer to my car. Said to wife to take it front that i can close garage door. All allright. Then said to back it off the road. Did signal her. Showed to back up and yelled so. Yelled and showed to stop, and louder yelles to stop. Aaand she backs up to garage door... Worst part was that i was between tailer and door...

NEVER BE BEHIND WOMAN THAT BACKS UP A CAR!!!

Aanyway. I saw what was going to happen, and i jumped much as i could. Not enough though. My right shank got on the middle, and i heard a pop. Hehee. I had to go to er to let doc examine my leg. I should of trusted myself and not go there. Little over 30€ and 2 mnutes with the doc, he says i got lucky. I knew no broken bones, but was little afraid of muscles and things that keep them in place, i got lucky.

After doc we went to carboot sales. And my leg is killing me... Put our sales point good, and things start to look good. After awhile we start to get good sales. I get few knives for sale at good price, and wife sells our kids stuff. Couple next are kind and good company. I ended buying table sanding machine from him, and traded toolbelt for knife. I got myself little time, and limbed to look what others had forsale. I ended buying  led lenser sheat for 2€ and axe for 1€. Ok deals for me.

It is not unusual for sellers to leave before given time, so first ones were packing at one pm when sales was to last 2.30 pm. We started to pack 2.00 pm and nice people next to us gave tea set that my wife was looking earlier. And boy, the husband was trying to sell everything to us  :D And there was lots of it... No luck for him... Boy my leg hurts...

We got to my wifes parents, and they looked after our twins when we were selling our stuff. Got nice meal, and gave that axe to father inlaw. He was very happy about it. I was talking to my father, and he wants that table sander from me...

Now i am laying on my couch with my leg up, and kids beating me. Oh glory day. And boy my leg is bruised...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 04:54:09 PM by Crow »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: September 12, 2015, 05:35:02 PM
Sounds like a good day apart from the leg  :tu:

Hope you are feeling better very soon Mate  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: September 12, 2015, 06:20:57 PM
Sounds like a good day apart from the leg  :tu:

Hope you are feeling better very soon Mate  :salute:

It was really good day, and good things i got. Nice people i got to talk with. Maybe pictures later, couple i managed to get....

I am feeling ok right now. Couple shots takes the top off of pain. My leg is bruiced from my ankle to knee. Few pain killers to night, and i am ok. Not worst that has happened....

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #88 on: September 12, 2015, 07:13:51 PM
So glad to hear they day ended a whole lot better than it started, hope the leg heals up well  :cheers:

1€ axe sounds like a steal, how's the quality?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #89 on: September 12, 2015, 08:31:53 PM
I hope you will recover soon, Crow!    ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%