Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why Should I Even Bother With Walmart?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Why Should I Even Bother With Walmart?
on: June 26, 2015, 11:46:45 PM
There are two places that carry Victorinox products in my town, Walmart and a dedicated knife store that was once a section of a drug store, but moved next door to a separate shop once it was vacated by whoever last rented it.  My grandparents don't like going in to that knife store for some reason, and I was stuck going to Walmart.   In addition to that, Walmart was the only store listed as a Victorinox authorized retailer according to the Victorinox site.   I've long suspected the local knife store was a reseller of items from Smoky Mountain Knife Works.     My first SAK, the Fieldmaster came from that knife store when it was part of the drugstore.   

I went to Walmart's sporting goods section, looking for a Tinker or Spartan (as when I sit for an extended period of time, my Craftsman and Fieldmaster can be uncomfortable in my watch pocket) and lingered around the counter, behind which the non-cheapo knives were displayed.  I was pretty much ignored while two employees chatted it up, and they had left for about 5 minutes until one showed up.  He was maybe the same age I was, and barely even knew what Victorinox was.  I located the only Victorinox knife they had, a Classic SD, which I already owned (sans toothpick and tweezers). 

Why the heck should they even be considered a Victorinox authorized retailer if they only sell one knife? 

No matter how much more expensive they'll be, I'm going to the said knife store instead next time around.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:57:14 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: Why Should I Even Bother With Walmart?
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:00:17 AM
Yeah, Walmart SAK selection usually sucks. And don't expect the employees to know anything about the SAKs, as they are selling so many hundreds of items, SAKs are just more inventory to them. If you can find a Target in your area, they usually have a better SAK selection.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:06:28 AM
The only time I bought a SAK from Walmart, I did ship to store.  Even then, I still had to deal with the usual frustrations of long lines and employees who were less than passionate about their jobs.  I haven't gone that route again.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 12:13:15 AM
Just order online. Better prices and you can get any model you want.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 01:16:12 AM
Check out eBay I don't bother biding. I have eBay send me text any time anything I am looking is put up for sale. The last SAK I bought was a Boy Scout Explorer new with box 25.00 shipped. Just wait and be patient their are deals out their.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline ColoSwiss

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 06:23:44 AM
I agree. Don't bother.

Knowing them, they've probably figured out a way to order a cost-cut version from Vic, and you don't want it.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 07:44:01 AM
I agree. Don't bother.

Knowing them, they've probably figured out a way to order a cost-cut version from Vic, and you don't want it.
I have a hunch your right. I had a red classic from Wal-Mart before I got the sapphire one I now own at REI. The one from Wal-Mart did seem cheaper. Most notably the tweezers were really loose in the scales. I returned it to Wal-Mart and kept the pretty blue one that is pictured in my sig.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 10:05:08 AM
I very much doubt that a) Walmart would be able to negotiate that sort of deal and that b) Vic have a 'second tier' range that they sell alongside the normal production run.  Makes no sense whatsoever.  More likely that you expect to get crap from Walmart, so when you do get a duff product, it reinforces your opinion.

Anyway, it's a supermarket, not a speSmurfpillst so I'm not sure why you'd expect them to carry a huge range of SAKs.  Be thankful they've got any at all. :tu:

us Offline Joe58

Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:34:51 PM
Anyway, it's a supermarket, not a speSmurfpillst so I'm not sure why you'd expect them to carry a huge range of SAKs.  Be thankful they've got any at all. :tu:

I concur. Walmart never enters my train of thought at all when considering a knife purchase. Other than a kitchen knife perhaps. I don't even bother to look at their selection when I'm in there.

Much better sources can easily be found.
🇨🇭

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 04:21:59 PM
Step one.  Research the heck out of the knife you think you want on MTO.
Step two. Check the sale threads on MTO to see if someone is offering one.
Step three. If the knife you want isn't being offered for sale on MTO order online and have it delivered to your home. 

I rarely waste my time locally since I can get nearly anything I want online. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 05:10:49 PM
It's true that the people working behind the counter know absolutely nothing about the product.

If you want it and can wait a few days, but off eBay (buy-it-now, not auctions). They have the best selection of SAKs and MTs :tu:
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 05:25:38 PM
While I agree with everything in this thread, I just want to add this...

Walmart sells SAKs.

For a company that thrives on a cheap-crap business model, one glimmer of hope is that you can get Swiss Army Knives there, and at not-terrible prices. If you order on-line from Walmart, they can ship it to your local store.

I hate Walmart, and all but refuse to shop there, but not EVERYTHING they sell is garbage.

My order of checking for good SAKs is... Felinevet's EDCSource store, MTO For Sale board, ebay.

I've also bought a number from Grand Prairie Knives, because they've got pretty excellent prices and are only like 5 miles away from me.http://www.gpknives.com

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 05:34:45 PM
I very much doubt that a) Walmart would be able to negotiate that sort of deal and that b) Vic have a 'second tier' range that they sell alongside the normal production run.  Makes no sense whatsoever.  More likely that you expect to get crap from Walmart, so when you do get a duff product, it reinforces your opinion.

Well, the classics at Wal-Mart do come in different packaging from any other retailer I have seen them at. The package is significantly smaller. So they are getting something different than everyone else.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 03:05:47 AM

Well, the classics at Wal-Mart do come in different packaging from any other retailer I have seen them at. The package is significantly smaller. So they are getting something different than everyone else.
I don't know about other Wal Marts, but the ones I've seen in AZ have the same packaging as any other Vic I've bought. 

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

ca Offline GreenCo

Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 07:11:21 PM
You don't have to bother with Walmart.  You are a free man. I haven't shopped at a walmart in probably over 10 years and we have 4 of them in my city.   You get to decide who you want to deal with and where you spend $$$.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 01:05:47 AM
I may be hated for this coment, but...

I think you can  buy in walmart online store and select "pick up in store" option.  I did it once and I was totally satisfied with the transaction.  Here is the list with the victorinox models the sell.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=victorinox&cat_id=0&facet=retailer:Walmart.com

I hope this helps

us Offline Scott_Servais

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 04:02:37 AM
walmart is garbage, i ordered a spartan lite online and did ship to store, then when i got there there was no one to wait on me, the sign said touch the screen to have someone come out but touching the screen didn't do anything so I had to go through the door that said employees only and while i was walking around back there and there were like 10 people unloading boxes and stuff and no one even noticed me so i finally asked someone if my order is back here and then they got it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:10:02 AM by Scott_Servais »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 05:01:30 AM
I like Walmart, but for those who do not, they are very easy to avoid.  Just don't go there.  Most of my consumer goods, though, including SAKs, come from Amazon and end up in my mailbox in 2 days.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%