Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chapleau

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Chapleau
on: June 28, 2015, 02:41:16 PM
Yesterday, I decided to spend the day doing another day trip...this time to Chapleau. It is about a 4 hour drive if you go the speed limit. This is of course if you are a very brave and foolhardy individual. What was not in the tourist brochure however, was that the direct way there was mostly on a gravel road that was a bit scary at times.

I looked on a map and saw that I could get to Chapleau through Hayden and get on the 556 which would take me to the 129. Now what boggles my mind is how 556 even got a highway designation. It was a somewhat wider than 2 lane gravel hell hole with pylons every few Kilometers denoting a washout on the side of the road large enough to make a good effort at swallowing a car whole. Likewise, we didn't see a single soul for a few hours driving in the middle of nowhere. I didn't even want to start thinking what would happen if we broke down. That was how secluded we were on 556. We only saw some life and a few cottages once we got to Ranger Lake. Needless to say, I drove it on average of 60 km/h. 80 was a joke. Oh, I forgot to mention I had to negotiate a few large rocks and one bolder along the way from a recent rockfall.

Once we reached 129, I was back on lovely pavement. I almost wanted to go out and kiss it as you see folks that don't like to fly do. Chapleau is far north of the turn off and that stretch was very pleasant and relaxing compared to the 556 which is known as Ranger Lake Road. Chapleau is a small northern town of around 3000 folks, most of which speak french and are tied into the lumber industry. Not much to see in Chapleau. The last time I was in Chapleau, the summer of 97, I recalled a train. That train is still there, however, the attached museum was closed. I asked a local and he laughed saying the museum is now closed forever due to some safety concerns. Ummm...nothing else to see in Chapleau I guess. :think:

Here is proof I made it to Chapleau lol.

A selfie of sorts.

And one of me in front of the train...somewhat mimicking my last time here...even got the photo somewhere in the house lol.

And of the building we went to see inside, a bargain shop. It had this nice artwork on the side.

I was also curious to see the combined elementary/high school that my friend will soon be working come this September. He just got a contract position working in Chapleau for the local School Board. I hope he likes seclusion.  :facepalm:

On the way back, I decided to forgo 556 and take the 129 to Thessalon and then the 17 back to home. Hmmm...the middle section of 129 is scary as all get out. For a lengthy stretch, it follows the Mississagi River through some breathtaking valleys. Unfortunately, due to the limited space of the valley, they could only shoe horn a 2 laner with no guard rails preventing you from an untimely demise should anything go wrong. So if you every decide to take the 129 North, be prepared for some breathtaking scenery and a few scary moments. Mind you, I do have a slight fear of heights, and the no margin for error did get me white knuckled a few times during this stretch. Oh before I forget, a visit to the Tunnel Lake Trading Post is a must. Forget the Aubry Falls Trading Post. It was closed and is only a restaurant these days.

Yeah, I think it might be another 20 or so years before I decide to go back to Chapleau. It wasn't the destination, but the journey which was the highlight of this day trip.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:55:01 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Chapleau
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:16:25 PM
Was you riding your bike? Sounds like a fun and unnerving trip.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:37:25 PM
very nice,  I like the air plane art,  very cool.
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:48:55 PM
I would never ride a motorcycle for that long on a gravel road. I had my jeep.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44