Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury Survival Items

Aloha · 53 · 5815

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury Survival Items
on: July 01, 2015, 04:34:53 PM
Cody Lundin has 23 items and Dave Canterbury has his 10 C's.

Dave Canterbury's 10 C's
Cutting tool
Combustion device
Cover
Container
Cordage
Cotton bandana
Compass
Candlelight
Canvas needle
Cargo tape

Cody Lunden's Basic Survival Kit
1 gallon zipper-lock bags
Tincture of Iodine Tablets for water purification
Plastic Drinking Tube approx. 3 ft. in length
2 unlubricated Condoms used as canteens
Orange Flagging Tape used for signaling
Dental Floss can be used for sewing to fishing line.
Duct Tape (the more the better IMO)
Small Flashlight w/ spare bulb's n batteries
Magnesium Fire Starter
Bic Lighter
Wooden Matches dipped in paraffin
Firestarter Excellorent - cotton balls dipped in petroleum jelly
Magnifying Glass
Emergency Signal Mirror with sighting hole
plastic whistle
Space Blanket single use
Heavy Duty Space Blanket/ Tarp
3 Heavy Duty 40-50 gallon plastic bags
Paracord at least 50 ft.
Extra Knife made with carbon steel
Bandanna brightly colored/non camo
Basic First-Aid Kit
Topographical Map and Compass of the area

Anyone else use these guys lists to compile an outdoor pack?

Anyone add something not on these lists? 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury Survival Items
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:48:20 PM
I haven't used their lists and they both seem somewhat similar if you think about it since Dave's is more open and Cody's is quite specific.

One thing I'd add is a saw. Both of them primarily rely on wood to keep one warm and in some areas that might work while in other areas that can be tough even with an abundance of firewood. And their cover elements can provide only a very basic shelter, so again this adds to ease of getting the resources for a more substantial shelter
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 06:53:53 PM

Cody Lundin has 23 items and Dave Canterbury has his 10 C's.

Dave Canterbury's 10 C's
Cutting tool
Combustion device
Cover
Container
Cordage
Cotton bandana
Compass
Candlelight
Canvas needle
Cargo tape

Cody Lunden's Basic Survival Kit
1 gallon zipper-lock bags
Tincture of Iodine Tablets for water purification
Plastic Drinking Tube approx. 3 ft. in length
2 unlubricated Condoms used as canteens
Orange Flagging Tape used for signaling
Dental Floss can be used for sewing to fishing line.
Duct Tape (the more the better IMO)
Small Flashlight w/ spare bulb's n batteries
Magnesium Fire Starter
Bic Lighter
Wooden Matches dipped in paraffin
Firestarter Excellorent - cotton balls dipped in petroleum jelly
Magnifying Glass
Emergency Signal Mirror with sighting hole
plastic whistle
Space Blanket single use
Heavy Duty Space Blanket/ Tarp
3 Heavy Duty 40-50 gallon plastic bags
Paracord at least 50 ft.
Extra Knife made with carbon steel
Bandanna brightly colored/non camo
Basic First-Aid Kit
Topographical Map and Compass of the area

Anyone else use these guys lists to compile an outdoor pack?

Anyone add something not on these lists?

Well I don't adhere to there list, Dave's list is more inline to mine.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:03:49 PM
I wouldn't say I've ever used them, but they both make sense.  I like the more open list that Dave gives though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:06:44 PM
so, they have no use for a mobile phone?
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:15:10 PM
so, they have no use for a mobile phone?

Bad coverage even across town for me.  Practically no coverage in the local mountains.   

I like that both lists are pretty much the same.  Cody's list is more of a shopping list rather than Dave's.  Both lists give me ideas for what to pack ( guidelines ) rather than specific items.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:25:13 PM
I've used Dave's to kind of compare back to what I already have, but I hadn't looked through Cody's before.  While I'm probably not going to change anything out, I might add some flagging tape.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 04:14:01 AM
I see an absolute TON of people referencing Dave's list, either the 5 Cs or 10 Cs. And, honestly, I think there's some benefit to the more vague 'combustion' category than a specific item.

I also seem to recall the Cody does most of his stuff in the (much less forgiving) desert environment, compared to Dave's Ohio woodlands. For instance, a long tube for getting at water is going to be much more critical in the desert, most likely.

As I'm FROM the Ohio woodlands, and still live in the very similar Illinois/Missouri area, I tend to pay more attention to Dave's methods, but only because they're more relevant to my likely scenarios.

I mean, I like Les Stroud, but I'm not likely to need to survive on a desert island or in the sub-arctic, so a lot of the stuff I've seen of his is not that realistically useful. Not that I'll really be likely to need ANY wilderness survival skills. But it's a hobby... that might be useful some day.

For me, I think of Dave's list as a very good starting point. 'You should have these categories covered'. I'm comfortable figuring out HOW I'll cover them on my own, but seeing other folks' lists (like Cody's) is a great source for thoughts on cheap, readily available, reliable, portable solutions.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:28:21 AM
I believe Cody's list is aimed more at neophytes who need brand/item recommendations and Dave's is geared toward more experienced people that already have a familiarity with specific items/brands and just need a checklist to assemble a kit.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:06:28 AM
When it comes to gear lists, open ended is usually better as it lets you conform it to the environment. Although at some point one has to talk specifics and then a whole lotta crazy comes out.

Here is another interesting spin on the subject that actually makes sense (too many people trying to sell their own acronyms if you ask me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L0V7JkEx7o

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:17 AM
When it comes to gear lists, open ended is usually better as it lets you conform it to the environment. Although at some point one has to talk specifics and then a whole lotta crazy comes out.

Here is another interesting spin on the subject that actually makes sense (too many people trying to sell their own acronyms if you ask me)

Nice to see a vid without all the usual bravado and BS, and also that's generically themed rather than pushing specific products or brands  :tu:

Acronyms can be a useful aide memoir, but can you really rely on remembering them or what they stand for when the adrenaline is pumping, or you're tired, hungry, disoriented?

Personally I have adopted or rather made myself a cue card. It's a small laminated credit sized card which has got a few prompters on it to help jumpstart my mind if the chips are down. It has got some of the common acronyms on, but as full words. Topics covered are reminders to stop and plan, first aid cues (CPR and hyperthermia), navigation, water, fire, heatloss awareness and prevention, general hazard awareness, shelter, signalling, food, basically a good cross section of what I'd need to get the old grey matter working for me rather than against me. It's not sentence based, but is just a collection of little prompters based around stuff that I know I already know, but might forget in the chaos of the moment.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 11:46:28 AM
Honestly, I can't even remember what STOP stands for. Outside of FUBAR, BOHICA and SNAFU, I'm not much for acronyms

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 12:55:43 PM
Sort of relevant - survival (but some food was given)   :facepalm:
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/452355/Parents-James-Driggers-Crystal-send-daughter-woods-week

A COUPLE have been arrested after they punished their 14-year-old daughter for eating a Pop Tart without permission by forcing her to live in the woods.

Investigators said 33-year-old James Driggers and his 36-year-old wife Crystal sent their daughter off with just a flashlight, a whistle, a roll of toilet paper and a watch.
She was told she had to stay out in the woods for a week.

To eat the kid was told to meet someone at a fence at specific times.

The girl was found by authorities on Friday night – two days into her punishment.

The parents from Sumter County in Florida have been charged with child neglect.

She had been outside during severe storms in the state on Thursday night
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 04:26:14 PM
For me, I think of Dave's list as a very good starting point. 'You should have these categories covered'. I'm comfortable figuring out HOW I'll cover them on my own, but seeing other folks' lists (like Cody's) is a great source for thoughts on cheap, readily available, reliable, portable solutions.

I very much agree on this Lynn  :tu:. I'd like to see what Matt Graham and Les Stroud would include in a "general" survival kit.  It would likely be similar to the core basics of what most survivalist would include.

Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 05:07:48 PM
Honestly, I can't even remember what STOP stands for. Outside of FUBAR, BOHICA and SNAFU, I'm not much for acronyms

Above all, don't forget PPPPPPP!

Show content
Seriously?!
Show content
You haven't heard it before?!
Show content
Well, it's just common sense...
Show content
Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 09:09:18 AM
I can just see Ron Hood licking his lips when talking about rats  :whistle:

Rodents are plentiful almost everywhere, I have wire and braid for snares, but I've never snared a thing in my life!
I got all-metal rat (x2) and mice (x2) traps to include in my kit....they don't weigh much.

I got the idea looking at tracks in the sand early morning in a camp site.

What do you think? Good weight or bad weight?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 11:08:35 AM

Rodents are plentiful almost everywhere, I have wire and braid for snares, but I've never snared a thing in my life!
I got all-metal rat (x2) and mice (x2) traps to include in my kit....they don't weigh much.

Speaking from experiments done in Scandinavia by the Swedish army: Even fishing is pretty much a waste of time in a survival scenario. The most efficient way of getting calories is gathering plants, including lichens. Now, what is correct for the sub-arctic forest is probably not correct in South-Africa. In other words, only someone having a good knowledge of the areas you prepare for can answer the question, IMHO.

The best survival gear I know of is a good rain coat and a sturdy pair of boots. I have a suspicion people living in deserts do not agree.

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:34 PM

Unless you're really willing to try it out and see how effective it is, then it's simply bad weight. On the other hand there are traps that offer higher chances of catching something like the ojibwe bird snare, however I somehow doubt it's effectiveness in the middle of a dense forest. Which goes along the lines of what Steinar said

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 04:35:34 PM
Hi
Even fishing is pretty much a waste of time in a survival scenario.
Then the fishing must be tough.

Water is scarce in this part of the world, but I'm pretty sure fishing is the easiest way to sustain yourself should you be close to any water.
I guess it helps that the water doesn't freeze over here? Fishing might be slow during winter, but it doesn't go away completely.
Edible local plants on the other hand are extremely limited.
I know more edible plants than the average person, but as soon as you go below ground where the best stuff are, I'm lost.

My one big doubt stems from my size and the quantities I eat, even now while I'm losing weight.....
I doubt I could sustain myself with 4 traps, even with 100% strike rate....

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 06:04:17 PM
Sustain yourself for how long? 72 hours you're clear, 6 months, you're smurfed

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 10:00:28 AM
Hi
Even fishing is pretty much a waste of time in a survival scenario.
Then the fishing must be tough.

Water is scarce in this part of the world, but I'm pretty sure fishing is the easiest way to sustain yourself should you be close to any water.
I guess it helps that the water doesn't freeze over here? Fishing might be slow during winter, but it doesn't go away completely.
Edible local plants on the other hand are extremely limited.
I know more edible plants than the average person, but as soon as you go below ground where the best stuff are, I'm lost.

I feel this confirms my statement area knowledge is everything, and what is right in Scandinavia isn't necessarily right in South-Africa. :) That said, why not learn about the good stuff below ground as well, then? Knowledge weighs less and is more valuable than traps.

My one big doubt stems from my size and the quantities I eat, even now while I'm losing weight.....
I doubt I could sustain myself with 4 traps, even with 100% strike rate....

When it comes to food, a little is better than nothing. With a little food (but too little stay comfortable), you will still be able to work and walk for more days before having to stop, than with no food at all. With no food, you loose your ability to work and plan so much faster.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 11:40:58 AM
10'c :whistle:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 131.28 KB)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:04:30 PM by Obi1shinobee »

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 12:29:57 PM
Sustain yourself for how long? 72 hours you're clear, 6 months, you're smurfed
Depending on the season and if there's water, I'm pretty sure I can make 72 hours with only the basics like a knife and ferro rod.
 :D You're most likely right, but my thinking is long term.

There are several places that barring illness or injury, I'm sure I could survive long term. I suspect finding a source of Vitamin C will be an issue.

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 12:43:33 PM
I feel this confirms my statement area knowledge is everything, and what is right in Scandinavia isn't necessarily right in South-Africa. :) That said, why not learn about the good stuff below ground as well, then? Knowledge weighs less and is more valuable than traps.
For sure, nothing beats local knowledge

Much easier said than done, the knowledge of the Bushmen take a lifetime to learn.  I've been part of a group looking for tubers for several hours that resulted in 2 small finds by the only person with experience in the group...
Your looking for a tiny dead plant above ground.......or even just a crack in the ground.

The part or the Orange river I'm familiar with runs through a desert, and except for during floods I'm sure you can catch enough fish to sustain yourself in a few minutes every day.....might take longer to find bait!

That could be done with a little bit of line and some hooks.  If you don't have the basics, then good luck.
I spent enough time there to know you'd be wasting your time spear fishing....or any other method I can think of...

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 05:09:34 AM

Nice to see a vid without all the usual bravado and BS, and also that's generically themed rather than pushing specific products or brands  :tu:

Acronyms can be a useful aide memoir, but can you really rely on remembering them or what they stand for when the adrenaline is pumping, or you're tired, hungry, disoriented?

Personally I have adopted or rather made myself a cue card. It's a small laminated credit sized card which has got a few prompters on it to help jumpstart my mind if the chips are down. It has got some of the common acronyms on, but as full words. Topics covered are reminders to stop and plan, first aid cues (CPR and hyperthermia), navigation, water, fire, heatloss awareness and prevention, general hazard awareness, shelter, signalling, food, basically a good cross section of what I'd need to get the old grey matter working for me rather than against me. It's not sentence based, but is just a collection of little prompters based around stuff that I know I already know, but might forget in the chaos of the moment.

50, cue cards are brilliant to have when adrenaline and tunnel vision kicks in, especially for new outdoor people. Will you mind sharing the designs with MTO guys?

The first survival (military) acronym I remember is the SAS's PRWF, Please Remember What's First. Protection, Rescue, Water, Food.

For personal use, I'll add Communication in Dave Canterbury's list. E.g. mirror, whistle, luminous textile, gps phone/beacon. Candy, for the small pleasure in dire situation.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

hr Offline styx

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 10:07:07 AM
I wonder if other very well known guys like Ron Hood, Ray Mears and Les Stroud ever put out a list like this

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 11:42:26 PM
I wonder if other very well known guys like Ron Hood, Ray Mears and Les Stroud ever put out a list like this

I did have a quick look on line to no avail.  Cody's list is what is contained in his book 98.6 degrees. 

I think the more well know and lesser known experienced adventurers/survivalists have more or less similar gear choices.  Guys like Dave seem to keep it basic in terms of his 10 C's however the individual components are specific.  He likes a certain style knife and prefers certain materials for clothes and such.  Cody also has preferences to clothing or not  :D ( shoes ) and knife type. 

From what I've seen a good kit when traveling out doors is made up of certain items.  The choices in these items is less important for example blade steel than the item itself, cutting tool.  Important of all is getting out and using the gear in the kit not to mention actually having the gear on you.
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 10:26:45 AM
Whenever I read these lists I wonder what they are for :think:
They sound like something you would pack for adventure camping, all seem to focus on staying in trouble, rather than getting you out.

I think these kits are supposed to help you, when you are lost, but they all kinda miss the point... you still will be lost!
Unless I'm badly wounded, I would try to walk until I'm safe

REMEMBER humans are chase predators, we can walk for an incredible long distance, every day! Humans are actually pretty bad smurfs in their wild form, we can out-walk a horse. It's no wonder wolves are our favorite hunting companion, its one of the very few animals that can keep the pace.
World record for walking on the road is more than 430km in 48h :o or almost 370km for women :o
The longest I have ever hiked was 70km (during my time in the military) and I would not consider myself particularly fit (especially not back then). If someone really had pushed me, I could have gone further and I did not feel terrible the next day. I expect in a dire situation I can go a great deal further (maybe not 430km, that is just incredible).

Of course its even better to avoid situations like this, so preparation is critical:
- Don't overdo it / know your limitations
- Don't go in bad weather conditions
- Tell somebody, when and where you are going and when you are supposed to be back (I mean what good is signaling, if no-one is looking for you)
- Learn the basic rules to get out for the territory you are going (walking downhill/downstream does not work in the Glades).
- Test/Break-in your shoes

Here is my list:
PHONE: even with bad coverage, its one of the best signaling tool.
FRIEND: All these kits sound like those people are hiking alone. Go hike with a friend, or friends.
FOOD: Instead of fishing gear, bear-traps and other hunting gear, bring some food. It's more efficient. Spend your time walking, not fishing.
FLASHLIGHT: Instead of building a fire and getting cozy, keep going.
MAP & COMPASS: It helps you find the best direction to hike
WHISTLE: Short range signaling

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:14:32 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 11:14:13 AM

That is why you train.
Reading a book is great and how you know "what" to do, but that is not how you train.
Muscle memory and, uhh, memory memory needs to be drilled.

If you have trained right, and consistently, you do not need to remember what the acronyms are or what they stand for, you just do it.

Part of the reason it can be hard to cross-train for different circumstances or equipment, or why people get the smurfs when they change a regulation or process (DRSABCDE) and they have to modify a habitual process to the new "standard"

(I am not arguing with DRSABCDE as a system, just an example of a simple process everyone should know, that gets updated and changes and requires training to include the new steps)

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:40 PM

One of my favorites is Ron Hood's Survival Camping video, at the start he details his kit pretty thoroughly.

Some of the guys from Alone have vids on YT regarding the 10 items they took along.

Seems like many of them would've done better with 5 items and something to help their mental state. :pok:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%