Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury Survival Items

Aloha · 53 · 5847

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury Survival Items
Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 02:39:17 PM
I wonder if other very well known guys like Ron Hood, Ray Mears and Les Stroud ever put out a list like this

One of my favorites is Ron Hood's Survival Camping video, at the start he details his kit pretty thoroughly.

Some of the guys from Alone have vids on YT regarding the 10 items they took along.

Seems like many of them would've done better with 5 items and something to help their mental state. :pok:

We have the Alone thread. And apparently they were given some items outside of the 10 they chose

I wonder if other very well known guys like Ron Hood, Ray Mears and Les Stroud ever put out a list like this

I did have a quick look on line to no avail.  Cody's list is what is contained in his book 98.6 degrees. 

I think the more well know and lesser known experienced adventurers/survivalists have more or less similar gear choices.  Guys like Dave seem to keep it basic in terms of his 10 C's however the individual components are specific.  He likes a certain style knife and prefers certain materials for clothes and such.  Cody also has preferences to clothing or not  :D ( shoes ) and knife type. 

From what I've seen a good kit when traveling out doors is made up of certain items.  The choices in these items is less important for example blade steel than the item itself, cutting tool.  Important of all is getting out and using the gear in the kit not to mention actually having the gear on you.

True, but I still wonder what inspired the list. Dave's seems to be focused on staying put and making a life for yourself. Maybe taming a bear to help you plow the fields
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 04:51:52 PM
I wondered if some of these kits were originally based off military survival kits.  I'd imagine some kits were based off what was needed in certain situations these people have encountered.

@Ether I can go 2 hours from my home into the mountains and no signal.  It possible to take a tumble and phone gets damaged and you get hurt.  No walking out in this case, yes I understand the scenario is a what if however accidents happen.

People hike/explore all the time without gear and without incident no doubt.  People also hike/explore and become lost as well, it happens.  I agree with many of your points however there are those that do not intend on going beyond their capabilities and yet trouble happens.  Accidents happen, becoming disoriented happens, weather changes, the unexpected occurs even for those who are prepared, it's part of life. 
I've seen people walk stairs and injure themselves so it's possible especially when outdoors. 

I'd like to also mention that these type kits are not limited to those hiking but yet kayaking, mountain biking, skiing, climbers etc would all benefit IMO with a simple well thought out kit. 

You dont have to put the kitchen sink into a kit but a few items should a worse case scenario happen is never a bad idea.   
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:42 PM
I wondered if some of these kits were originally based off military survival kits.  I'd imagine some kits were based off what was needed in certain situations these people have encountered.

@Ether I can go 2 hours from my home into the mountains and no signal.  It possible to take a tumble and phone gets damaged and you get hurt.  No walking out in this case, yes I understand the scenario is a what if however accidents happen.

People hike/explore all the time without gear and without incident no doubt.  People also hike/explore and become lost as well, it happens.  I agree with many of your points however there are those that do not intend on going beyond their capabilities and yet trouble happens.  Accidents happen, becoming disoriented happens, weather changes, the unexpected occurs even for those who are prepared, it's part of life. 
I've seen people walk stairs and injure themselves so it's possible especially when outdoors. 

I'd like to also mention that these type kits are not limited to those hiking but yet kayaking, mountain biking, skiing, climbers etc would all benefit IMO with a simple well thought out kit. 

You dont have to put the kitchen sink into a kit but a few items should a worse case scenario happen is never a bad idea.   
Well, I was intentionally provocative (anyone noticed that I didn't pack water :D)

I agree with the cell-phone (its greatly depending on where you are though, here I have almost everywhere reception even high up in the mountains but then Switzerland IS TINY). But a signaling mirror or a whistle also don't just work, they have the same basic problem, they need reception (someone who hears or sees your signal AND responds to them).

What I criticize is the basic plan seems to be:
"You are lost, find shelter and get comfortable"
I think it should be
Get your bearings, get moving, get un-lost

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 06:22:02 PM
We have the Alone thread. And apparently they were given some items outside of the 10 they chose

Thanks, missed that.

People hike/explore all the time without gear and without incident no doubt.  People also hike/explore and become lost as well, it happens.
A previous landlord of mine almost came 2nd hiking close to home (on the edge of town), fortunately walked to where he had reception again and phoned his wife to come pick him up.....wasn't nearly the first time he hiked in that area.

I'm covered when I go fishing, but I couldn't help thinking that the area where I walk my dogs most often I don't take anything, no phone, no water, nothing but 2 dogs and a walking stick. The reason is simple - gear makes you a target for criminals.
Fortunately a big mother of a walking stick because I follow game trails and collect poacher's wire snares while I'm at it.  :P

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:06 PM
Ether you are exactly right

What I criticize is the basic plan seems to be:
"You are lost, find shelter and get comfortable"
I think it should be
Get your bearings, get moving, get un-lost

If I was lost, injured, or whatever my goal would be to get home or to the hospital not make an extended "camping" trip out if it  :D.  We've seen it all before where the daggone kit is so large that its generally left behind anyway.  What I typically bring for hikes planned for several hours is more food and more water not necessarily more "gear" per se.
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 11:53:43 AM
You're discussing the plot of the current season of Dual Survival  :rofl:

My only personal experience was in a group where it turned out we decided to stop too soon, fortunately not a matter of life or death, but still there were consequences....

Not many years ago a Dutch couple on self-drive tour ran out of petrol in a remote area, they stayed with the car and the husband didn't make it.  They were in a farming area, and it turns out 3km from a farm dam fed by a windpump........same as what litter this whole country.

Unfortunately there are just as many stories about people that should've stayed put.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 02:44:03 PM
You're discussing the plot of the current season of Dual Survival  :rofl:

My only personal experience was in a group where it turned out we decided to stop too soon, fortunately not a matter of life or death, but still there were consequences....

Not many years ago a Dutch couple on self-drive tour ran out of petrol in a remote area, they stayed with the car and the husband didn't make it.  They were in a farming area, and it turns out 3km from a farm dam fed by a windpump........same as what litter this whole country.

Unfortunately there are just as many stories about people that should've stayed put.
Staying put vs. Moving is a difficult decision

Staying put only works if either:
People pass by the spot you are frequently OR you know someone is looking for you.

So, if your car breaks down, staying put is might not the worst idea. There are probably very few roads where you can go with a car that are traveled so infrequent that you are in danger. Also, when traveling by car, you have much less limitation on weight and can easily bring a 2nd and a 3rd lighter. People going by car might not be capable of hiking long distances even without injury. Biggest danger might be that with the car people tend to forget the weather and if you get into a snow storm as an example, you need to stay put AND stay warm.

If you are hiking in remote areas on an off-beaten path, I think moving is the better option. Of course a leg injury might take the decision from you. But as long as you can walk, staying on the move seems like the best idea.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:51:38 PM by Etherealicer »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 02:50:38 PM
On a bit different note:

Considering how much money some people spend on their NINJA survival-gear a Personal Locator Beacons might be a great addition. For about 300$ you get the probably best signaling device (not much if you consider that people spend 50$ on a titanium whistle. Also, PLB without messaging need to be registered but have no subscription cost, with messaging its about 300$/year).

In Switzerland, hiking GPS devices are massively popular and help not getting lost.

hr Offline styx

Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 03:49:40 PM
In Croatia the mandatory equipment for hiking is flip flops, alcohol and drugs  :facepalm:

I really wish that the mountain rescue service would start charging people, maybe they would pack their brains too when they leave for vacation  :whistle:

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 04:11:33 PM
+1 to a smartphone along with a lipstick battery charger.

If you have maps.me already installed with the maps for your region downloaded, works with GPS even if data service is not available: http://maps.me/en/home.

The battery charger? Not just for the phone communication and GPS function, but also because a phone is a backup flashlight. :)

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:24 PM
In Croatia the mandatory equipment for hiking is flip flops, alcohol and drugs  :facepalm:

I also live in a non-nanny state.....freedom & all that  :rofl:

......and I know Croatia has great fishing  8)

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 04:42:53 PM

You all make great arguments, and I can see the advantages, but I will never depend on or stake my safety on anything that runs off a battery. :)

And honestly, the only item from that category I'll miss is a headlamp.

I feel a trip is successful as soon as the cellular signal is gone......

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: July 31, 2015, 05:13:05 PM

You all make great arguments, and I can see the advantages, but I will never depend on or stake my safety on anything that runs off a battery. :)

And honestly, the only item from that category I'll miss is a headlamp.

I feel a trip is successful as soon as the cellular signal is gone......

As do many  :tu:

When traveling by auto there is no good reason not to have a well prepared "kit".  GPS and back up battery are great.  Maps and being able to use a compass should be standard.  There are many ways in which to lesson issues however ISH happens so putting together a kit that is well thought out and compact goes a long way. 

Staying put or heading out, each scenario will dictate the best approach.  If you not let anyone know where you were headed then no one is looking for you so you better keep moving.  If you told friends/family your plans and didn't make it back then it might be best to get into an area to be better seen from above.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 31, 2015, 05:17:04 PM

I don't think you have to depend on it as if this is an either/or proposition, unless you just don't want to carry the extra weight.  Even if you have a physical map and a compass, having a backup map on your phone and then GPS capability to use it? That's a plus that might save your life.

Or consider you are in a remote area. Hiking out with a major injury, might want to have that phone with you just in case you can get a signal to phone for help in that last couple of miles out when you might not make it. 

Or what about the smartphone as an information storage device, that can extend your knowledge with information that you don't know. For instance, I haven't tried it yet, but Kiwix can carry the entirety of Wikipedia on your mobile phone as long as you have the extra storage for it. Or can you carry a library of first aid and medical books on your body without a smartphone?

Your watch breaks? Your phone works as a time piece.

I'm sure there are more uses that other people can come up with.

So depend on it? I get that. Ignore its potential as a supplement to the rest of your kit? That I just don't understand. 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: July 31, 2015, 05:49:23 PM

I really wish that the mountain rescue service would start charging people, maybe they would pack their brains too when they leave for vacation  :whistle:
They do that here, well not directly...

Unless you are a member of the Swiss Air Rescue (REGA), you have to pay for your rescue. Of course that is covered by your insurance, but if it was your fault (bad shoes, bad weather) the insurance will ask for the money back.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 05:52:50 PM
@Cell phone and backup battery

I recently saw this on DX
Battery pack that also is a cell phone

Rugged and with 5000mAh it can re-charge your phone 2-3 times.
But its also a phone in its own right.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 06:00:36 PM

Reviews on it are terrible, though, if you combine those reviews with those on Amazon. Given the price, definitely probably a case of pay for what you get--which is not much in reliability :eek:

I think it would be better to get a waterproof case for one's smartphone and then a separate battery backup :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 06:09:52 PM

Reviews on it are terrible, though, if you combine those reviews with those on Amazon. Given the price, definitely probably a case of pay for what you get--which is not much in reliability :eek:

I think it would be better to get a waterproof case for one's smartphone and then a separate battery backup :)
I did not bother to read reviews as I have no intention to buy one (hardly use the cell-phone I have).
But I liked the general idea.

Big Battery, Rugged Case, Small Display could make a great emergency/outdoors cell.
However, if I shelled out money for something like this, it would probably rather be a GPS-Device, maybe a personal locator.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 06:14:02 PM
I recently got the Anker Astro E4 and while I'm not suggesting one carry this since there lighter/smaller units available so far I really like it.  If I were to head out for a 2 day trip backpacking I wouldn't hesitate to bring it.

We've had too many people get lost in the mountains here in California for whatever reasons.  Some have survived while others are still missing.  I see people on the trail with a bottle of water, power bar, and cell phone all the time.  They probably look at me as I look at them, "wtf are they thinking"  :D

My basic kit fits on a belt and is simple to the point.  I do have a sling bag that is reserved for longer hikes that includes as I've said more food and water.   

Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 06:31:42 PM

They do that here, well not directly...

Unless you are a member of the Swiss Air Rescue (REGA), you have to pay for your rescue. Of course that is covered by your insurance, but if it was your fault (bad shoes, bad weather) the insurance will ask for the money back.

I remember there was some talk that they will implement the same thing here. Croatian citizens will be covered by our basic health insurance I think but non citizens will have to pay (or their insurances will).

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 07:02:03 PM
I recently got the Anker Astro E4 and while I'm not suggesting one carry this since there lighter/smaller units available so far I really like it.  If I were to head out for a 2 day trip backpacking I wouldn't hesitate to bring it.

+1

I have the Anker E3, and it has been great.  :cheers:

If someone doesn't have one, it would make sense to look at some of RavPower's offerings with LED lights built in. I had already gotten my battery packs before RavPower started offering these models. They have a lipstick sized battery pack that is also a flashlight: http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-flashlight-Technology-more-Black/dp/B0084Y47SK/. Based on Amazon's weight specs, doesn't seem like adds appreciable weight. 3 oz for a light and battery backup is pretty darn good.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:05:39 PM by raistlin65 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 07:29:25 PM

+1

I have the Anker E3, and it has been great.  :cheers:

If someone doesn't have one, it would make sense to look at some of RavPower's offerings with LED lights built in. I had already gotten my battery packs before RavPower started offering these models. They have a lipstick sized battery pack that is also a flashlight: http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Portable-flashlight-Technology-more-Black/dp/B0084Y47SK/. Based on Amazon's weight specs, doesn't seem like adds appreciable weight. 3 oz for a light and battery backup is pretty darn good.

Nice.  My older daughter needs a battery and this may be the right choice.  My younger one has a lipstick size charger that is prety awesome, I dont know the name.  Love how the Rav is a light. 
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 01, 2015, 04:52:39 AM
Don't get me wrong, If I have a chance to drink mz own urine, I alwazs take it,

However.....

In case I get bored and decide I want to be home in time for the next episode of Swamp People, I have this:

PLB.jpg
* PLB.jpg (Filesize: 52.91 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44