Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tread Owners Club

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Tread Owners Club
Reply #30 on: December 05, 2015, 03:30:16 PM
I wasn't interested until I saw this Core. I'm a hard core Core user and the black Tread would pair my all black nicely. But rubber is soft and it doesn't get icy cold in the winter.
Wait! This is a Leatherman! What about rust from sweating, bathing and swimming? It will rust eventually, won't it?

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #31 on: December 05, 2015, 03:57:04 PM
I wasn't interested until I saw this Core. I'm a hard core Core user and the black Tread would pair my all black nicely. But rubber is soft and it doesn't get icy cold in the winter.
Wait! This is a Leatherman! What about rust from sweating, bathing and swimming? It will rust eventually, won't it?

Here's a back side view that shows the attachment.

Besides the 2 Tread pieces I already removed to fit my wrist, I had to remove 2 more to fit the watch case. As I bought the tread more as "Jewelry" then for it's tool features, I can live with that.
The holes in the Tread are bigger the the Suunto screws. However, the Tread strap is a very precise fit to the Suunto case screw holes, and with the screws in place, the Tread has no space to move over the screws.
It`s not perfect, butI'm quite happy with the result. Now I just want that Traverse even more. You've heard that Sinterklaas? I have been a good boy!  :whistle:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

de Offline leatherman-shop.de

Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 10:55:33 AM

Here's a back side view that shows the attachment.
(Image removed from quote.)
Besides the 2 Tread pieces I already removed to fit my wrist, I had to remove 2 more to fit the watch case. As I bought the tread more as "Jewelry" then for it's tool features, I can live with that.
The holes in the Tread are bigger the the Suunto screws. However, the Tread strap is a very precise fit to the Suunto case screw holes, and with the screws in place, the Tread has no space to move over the screws.
It`s not perfect, butI'm quite happy with the result. Now I just want that Traverse even more. You've heard that Sinterklaas? I have been a good boy!  :whistle:

That Tread watch looks cool - thanks for the picture
multitools for the one leaving nothing undone

Offline Entropy

• New User
Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 07:46:34 PM
Anyone have a picture showing exactly why the LM bits wont fit inside the links?  IDK why LM would have machined them to look like they would fit and not added that as a feature.  If I could store a couple extra bits inside the links I would have already ordered one to pair with my watch.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 04:41:01 PM
I'm in this fashionable butt kicking club. With a twist that makes it MY man jewelry.
Its birthday was inscribed on it by a really nice gentleman today. He also signed it along with my PST.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 05:44:23 PM
Anyone have a picture showing exactly why the LM bits wont fit inside the links?  IDK why LM would have machined them to look like they would fit and not added that as a feature.  If I could store a couple extra bits inside the links I would have already ordered one to pair with my watch.

They fit but there is nothing to hold them in place for carry. They slide right out the other side.
The extension fits and seems to be lightly gripped when you hold the links together; this seems to be the designed use.

Offline JJR512

Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 09:17:35 PM
I just noticed that the little scribe bit is missing from the link where it's supposed to be. There's an empty hole there now. I'm not sure how it would've fallen out. So I guess I'll try to make this a warranty issue. I have no experience with Leatherman warranty service. Will they send me a new link first or make me send them the damaged link first? Or will they make me send them the whole tool? Do I have to pay for shipping?

Offline JJR512

Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 09:40:55 PM
This is what I was talking about in my previous post...

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #38 on: May 21, 2016, 08:19:38 AM
    In case no one knew, there are Tread Links for attaching other watched to the Leatherman Tread. Looks like a metal watch is needed, though I did send them a suggestion to have a metal bridge connect the links together for those without a metal cased watch.

O______O  <-- Something like this, then a plastic cases watch could attach. Could be just a thin round base with the center cut out for less weight/sweat. They never replied to the idea.

Guess one could try the Tread Links with a plastic cased watch but I'd think the watch coupling would be the first to break!  :ahhh

Edit: Was surprised no one from MTO thought of the idea first and could of offered MTO inscribed links to show off.  :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:25:07 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #39 on: May 21, 2016, 10:46:33 AM
On a watch you are down to around 4-5 links plus the clasp link.
Choose carefully.

I could probably do it.

Link 1 - small flat drivers 
Link 2 - #1/2 Philips, flat and 1/4 hex bolt
Link 9 - 6mm + 5mm Allen and 10mm hex bolt
Link 10 - 4mm + 3mm Allen and 8mm hex bolt
Please make a Torx 6 and 8 with a 8mm hex bolt.

Clasp link I will leave the Link 4.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #40 on: May 21, 2016, 04:27:04 PM
But doesn't that mean every time you use the tread, that you are wrapping it up around the watch?  Exposing the watch to being scratched, not to mention the bangs and torquing are sure to come about by using a floppy screwdriver.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline Kazak

• New User
Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 09:09:44 PM
Just found this forum. Great resource.

I am about a week into wearing Tread, which I absolutely love so far. As an IT person and a mountain biker, I've used Tread daily now, at least 2-3 times a day. I do carry a wave with bits on me as well as a utility knife.

My question is, has anyone modified Tread or added any other gadgets to it.

Things I am thinking of:

1. Short roll of duct tape into the bit holding spots
2. Sharpening SIM card point into a needle head (I assume it might void a warranty?)
3. Modifying Link 4 into a whistle, and/or into a survival kit (fishing line, hooks, matches, flint)
4. Rolling duct/electrical tape around Leatherman bits and shoving them into the bit holder spots on the Links
5. Sharpening the Clasp's side into a cutting edge (again, might void a warranty?)

Any other ideas have you guys done or thinking about?

Also, if you carry Bit Kit with you, instead of using the side big holders on the link, you can use Link 2 1/4" BOX WRENCH to hold the bits. This way it's much easier to hold the bits in place while working.
20160526_130554.jpg
* 20160526_130554.jpg (Filesize: 143.62 KB)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:10:58 PM by Kazak »

Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 10:40:08 PM
    Haven't had an issue with the screws before, but since getting a Fitbit HR I've not been wearing the Tread. And not going to screw with the watch & pins with the current Tread links. Not until they come out with a metal carriage to mount the watch & so the watch and pins don't get stressed if using the Thread. A removable, snap in and out, carriage would be bonza!

Anyhow, Tread Links came out with "comfort" screws.
    :twak: Get your tool out of the gutter man! :twak:

Comfort Screws

¬ Outback in Idaho

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 10:50:29 PM
    Haven't had an issue with the screws before, but since getting a Fitbit HR I've not been wearing the Tread. And not going to screw with the watch & pins with the current Tread links. Not until they come out with a metal carriage to mount the watch & so the watch and pins don't get stressed if using the Thread. A removable, snap in and out, carriage would be bonza!

Anyhow, Tread Links came out with "comfort" screws.
    :twak: Get your tool out of the gutter man! :twak:

Comfort Screws
    (Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
I understand what they are trying to do, but this looks like a cheap quality product. Would you really want that on your 200$ charm bracelet?

* cs.jpg (Filesize: 10.74 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 11:08:29 PM
Rough, not even polished. Crude products, not as well thought out though. Who would attach a Tread to a plastic watch, unless is was (like you stated) nothing more than a flashy bracelet.

I used my Tread, it came in handy a few times. Maybe I can wear it with the Fitbit... if the Tread had a rubber side bumper. /grin

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 04:19:19 AM
Looks like I can wear both, though it feels weird. ;)

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

¬ Outback in Idaho

Offline JJR512

Reply #46 on: May 29, 2016, 11:33:08 PM
I just noticed that the little scribe bit is missing from the link where it's supposed to be. There's an empty hole there now. I'm not sure how it would've fallen out. So I guess I'll try to make this a warranty issue. I have no experience with Leatherman warranty service. Will they send me a new link first or make me send them the damaged link first? Or will they make me send them the whole tool? Do I have to pay for shipping?

I contacted Leatherman directly. I included the photo and described what the problem was, and I said I'd hate to have to send in the whole Tread and be without it for however long, since I wear it daily. I asked if they could just send me a replacement link and then I could send the old one back, and they said they would be happy to send me a replacement link. All they needed was my address (which I sent). I'm very happy with this outcome.

Offline JJR512

Reply #47 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:24 AM
I'm also happy to report that after a few minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner, all the dirt and gunk (see reposted photo below) is gone.

Offline JJR512

Reply #48 on: June 03, 2016, 09:34:22 PM
So to follow up, today I received the replacement link from Leatherman in the mail. There was no note, letter, invoice, or anything other than the part, which was in a small plastic bag inside of a small Leatherman-branded box, which itself was stuffed inside a padded envelope mailer. So I have no idea if they want the old link back or not. I originally offered to send it to them, but they only said they would send me the new link, and never said anything about wanting the old one back.

I swapped the new link in for the old. Here's a photo. You can really tell the difference between the shiny new one and the scratched-up older links next to it.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #49 on: August 01, 2016, 12:58:00 AM
I recently bought an open box SS Tread for under $100. My initial concern was with people complaining about the Tread being too heavy. Though almost 6' tall, I have small wrists. I chose to remove link #2 (#1-2 Philips - 3/16" flat and 1/4" hex driver) and link #4 (pick - cutting hook and carbide breaker). It fits slightly loose, but not rolling around. Removing the slim link would make it too small.

The adjusted Tread is lighter than my Seiko watch.Even with the two links, it is still lighter. I guess the weight complains came from people used to wearing digital watches. Before the purchase, I thought the Tread looked silly on a man wrist. Now I have it, I think it will make a great tacticool watch band. One thing I notice is the Tread is more comfortable with the clasp on top of the wrist. It feels natural like a watch. It will be nice if a watch face can be adapted on top of the clasp, meaning the 1/4" square driver will be right next to the watch face. A feature I notice is some links have the sides between two holes hollowed out in the shape of LM's proprietary flat bits. This hole is too big, the flat bit will slide thru. I can see LM potentially incorporate a bit driver on one link, and store a few bits in other links for a Tread 2.

I am interested in the thread size of the screws. The thread looks like 5.5mm. I would have preferred a T10 torx head instead of slot. For the current screws, I prefer the slot narrower, so the large flat head on the Surge can fit better. Why would someone by a $150+ tool and use a 1c tool (penny) for adjustment? LM thought people remove links on the go or something?

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #50 on: August 02, 2016, 12:00:47 AM
My cheapo calipers played trick on me. I thought I was reading .200" something, so I said 5.5mm screw thread in previous post. The thread is #4-48. I am surprised LM did not go with metric. This screw is uncommon. Its dimensions are of #4 stripper screws. I can find #4-40 stripper screws easily with different head configuration (slot, hex, torx...) by google, but could not find #4-48, except for some expensive stainless version with knurled head. Assume LM bought them special in bulk at $0.25/pc, that is at least $10 just for those 40 screws in the package.

nl Offline Kabelventje

Reply #51 on: August 07, 2016, 12:03:44 PM
Question,
Are there two different Tread versions?
I have seen differences in the cutter sections and the screws
V2.jpg
* V2.jpg (Filesize: 20.42 KB)
V1.jpg
* V1.jpg (Filesize: 33.47 KB)

nl Offline Kabelventje

Reply #52 on: August 08, 2016, 08:30:50 PM
Anyone who knows..

Whery to buy or order separate links ?
I cannot find anything about it.
Would be nice to select your own favorite "bits and pieces"

nl Offline Kabelventje

Reply #53 on: August 11, 2016, 11:23:48 PM
Doesn't happen much here. No so many Tread owners maybe?.

nz Offline Zachary Edwards

Reply #54 on: January 28, 2017, 08:56:29 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers - Zachary

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #55 on: January 29, 2017, 07:25:27 AM
Been wearing my SS tread a lot lately, been getting a lot of comments from customers.  Saw another guy in town that had one but he didn't look like the talkative kind so I didn't get to ask him how he liked his.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

nz Offline Zachary Edwards

Reply #56 on: January 29, 2017, 08:53:56 AM
So how's your tread going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers - Zachary

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #57 on: February 13, 2017, 06:00:21 AM
One way or another, I ended up with 3 Treads  :P SS, Black, and Metric Black. The one I occasionally wear is the SS, in place of a watch, just for fun in the weekend. I have 6 + half links to fit my wrist. The Tread is not as heavy as my first impression of it. It feels natural just like a watch. No, I have no intention to use it at a multi tool, just strictly a bracelet.

The Metric Tread introduces 5 more links. I wonder if Leatherman will introduce more link configurations in the future. A few things I wish Leatherman consider:

- Sell the clasp and the half link (link #1) separately: I can make another Tread out of the spare links.
- Design a watch link: not a watch face that fit the links, not ChronoLink... a watch link in its own, with just time function. May be some protection around the face. Point is, it will truly make the Tread a multi-tool watch.

Offline JJR512

Reply #58 on: February 18, 2017, 05:08:00 AM

I contacted Leatherman directly. I included the photo and described what the problem was, and I said I'd hate to have to send in the whole Tread and be without it for however long, since I wear it daily. I asked if they could just send me a replacement link and then I could send the old one back, and they said they would be happy to send me a replacement link. All they needed was my address (which I sent). I'm very happy with this outcome.
I just noticed that the scribe insert is missing from the replacement link, just like it went missing from the original link. I'm not sure how long it's been gone, but I suspect not for very long. I recently used the SIM ejection tool and probably would've noticed if the insert was missing then, though of course I can't be certain.

But anyway, this is the second time the scribe insert has disappeared. And I've never even used the scribe tool! I don't think my wearing of the Tread could even be said to be "heavy duty usage" since I actually rarely use it for anything at all.

Has this happened to anyone else yet? Why don't you go check your own Treads and see if yours is still there...

Offline JJR512

Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 09:56:52 PM
To follow up on my above follow-up, I emailed Leatherman customer service about this. I actually replied to the email I got from them almost a year ago when it happened the first time. I haven't received an actual response from them, but I did receive a new replacement link in the mail.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%