Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

4th of July tour of Bruce Mines, Thessalon, and Elliot Lake.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
If you haven't figured this out yet, I have an interest in historical things. I like to tour museums and such, and it seems every little place has one...many of which are hidden little gems. Today, I got itchy feet and decided to visit Bruce Mines. Now for the past few months, I have wanted to visit the Bruce Mines Museum and mine tour. There isn't much info online about them, and funnily enough, I have asked half of Bruce Mines when these attractions would open, with no results. Finally, a few weeks ago, I spoke to someone who was knowledgeable, and she told me the first of July as the Museum is staffed with high school students. Fair enough. Today is the day to see if these things are open. I am happy to report they both were.

Now the last time I was at this particular museum, was back in the mid 80's. Funny how one can live so close to things and never really take the time to look closely as such places. The building is rather beautiful, or at least, to my eyes.

And this was in front of the building...

The building holds a commanding position above a small hill. Here is part of Bruce Mines looking East. Yes, that is Highway 17, part of the Trans-Canada Highway.

Here is a nice piece of Jasper Conglomerate, better know locally as Pudding Stone. It is found locally as well as in some parts of Michigan. Here is a bit more info on the rock...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puddingstone_(rock)

I am going to post a few photos and let them talk for themselves.

As you can see, this museum had a little bit of a lot of things. It was a rather interesting place to visit.

Well right across from the museum was the Simpson Mine Tour. Here is the main building.

Inside this building are quite a few mining displays, etc...

From this building, was a walkway that brought us to the Simpson Mine. Here is a shot of the Simpson Mine taken from the walkway.

Plenty of mine tailing from the time when the Simpson Mine was operational back in the 1800's.

Here we are just arriving onto the mining site. The Simpson Mine is a very realistic look at an area mine as it was back in the 1800's.

Here is a Horse Whim. Two horses would turn the central shaft, which would lower and raise a bucket down into the mine at the same time.

Here is the open shaft that the buckets would operate in.

Used as a storage shed, but accurate as to what the horses would have to keep them warm and cozy during off times.

Inside one of the buildings on site, was another part of the museum. Here is a Cornish display, as  most of the miners were Cornish in origin.

Various displays on the mine site.

Part of the mine site.

Time to go into the mine proper. The mines in the area are all open pit type mines. Thus today, all the old mine sites have had metal chain link fences installed to protect the public. Unfortunately, the only one you can actually visit is the Simpson Mine. All others are off limits.

Our guide is pointing the various veins found in the rock. Still plenty of copper here.

Now in the mine proper. Located above are wooden logs used to shelter the miners as they worked.

Back the mid 1800's, some blasting would be done via a hand drill. Once the hole was drilled, black powder would be poured into the hole, and a wax plug and wick would be inserted. If you look closely, you can see two of the original drill shaft imprints in the rock (they run vertical).

Another look in the Simpson Mine.

Midway through the mine, our two buckets powered by the 2 above horses. In reality, one would be above ground and the other at the mine bottom.

Now at the other end of the Simpson Mine, properly exited and looking back down into the mine. Originally, miners wouldn't have such nice steps to get in and out, instead using ladders made of wood cobbled together on site.

And for those who may think mining is easy...

After visiting the Bruce Mines Museum and Simpson Mine, a short walk to see the other mines in the area.

From the above map, you can see there were 5 other local mines not including the Simpson mine which is located on the other side of Highway 17. As mentioned above, not much to see other than chain link fencing, some old rail, and an old abandoned car.

Here is what the trail looked like. It was easy walking.

That abandoned car.

On the way back, I almost stepped on him...

And that concluded the Bruce Mines visit earlier today.  Next will be some photos from the Thessalon museum, and Elliot Lake Mining Memorial. I will post those photos soon.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:11:06 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Thanks Dan! Lot cool pics of the mine and its history.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Wow!!!  Thank you!!!!  Loved this post!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
You are welcome.  :salute:

Here is the promised part 2.

After visiting Bruce Mines, I recalled that there was a museum the next town over that we hadn't seen yet. This museum is located about a 5 minute drive on Highway 129 north of Thessalon. This one is called "Heritage Park Museum".

It is a complex of 6 buildings and features the rich farming and rural history of the region.

Inside one of the buildings as seen in the above photo, plenty of interesting artifacts.

I took this photo as it resembled the sword someone found in their garden and posted on this forum...

The biggest and oldest tree in the area fell down in 1997. They made several discs from the tree and many of the regional museums have a piece of this tree...including the Sault's Bushplane Museum.

A photo showing several of the Museum's buildings.

One of the buildings was an old church transported to the Museum's location.

The General Store.

Another building contained a lot of old clothing, as well as a few other interesting items. This one was an old log home.

This is a working forge, which a local Iron smith teaches classes to folks during the summer. Right now, they store their lawn tractor and a few other items.

And the last but largest building is the Riding Barn. This long edifice consist of several sections that highlight various aspects of rural life.

And that concludes our visit to the Heritage Park Museum just north of Thessalon.

After that, we decided to go to Eliot Lake, as I wanted to check out their small trading post again to see what firearms they had in stock. There, we stopped at a beautiful park which was a memorial park for the mining and those that lost their lives in the region. I can tell you it was a bit sobering to see so many names on that list. Furthermore, they had their names inscribed on bricks that lined pathways at this memorial park. The park also features several statues, and a nice scenic view.

And that concludes the photos for the day.  :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Another excellent post!!!!  :cheers:

Thank you!!! :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
You sure have a lot of rich history around there. They better hope Tony does not see pics 4, 5, 7, & 8. Is Grant in that old canoe in pic #6 ?       :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Excellent trip, thanks for sharing.

So, what did you get from the souvenir shop :pok: :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
For souvenirs, we bought rocks at the Simpson Mine, Iron Pyrite and pudding stone to be specific. Also got a post card from the Heritage Park Museum.

I did look for a pink kayak, but saw no sign of Def anywhere on this trip.  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31