Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The coin pocket SAK.

cbl51 · 15 · 1321

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
The coin pocket SAK.
on: October 29, 2019, 07:28:05 PM
I finally had to admit that I got old.

For years I joked about getting "older" and made light of the fact that little by little I couldn't do much of what I used to do. But then, when I looked at it in the harsh light of day, I really didn't want to do those things anymore. Kind of a 'been there, done that' thing. At my age, do I really want lug a back pack up a mountain trail, sleep on a closed cell mat on the ground, or do I want to sleep in a nice lodge, breakfast the next morning in the dining room and a hike with a guide unencumbered except for a light day pack with a bottle of water and a few muchies?

Pocket knives have come into that realm. I've never been a fan of very large knives, and a Buck 301 stockman was my go-to pocket knife for 25 years. A basic Victorinox tinker was in that category as well.  But as I got older, the SAK took over most of my pocket knife carry.  And in the last decade of so, my taste has definitely changed  the smaller end of the general category of the coin pocket knife. The little knives that fit comfortably in that little 5th pocket that jeans have.  Like the Victorinox classic I carried for something like 20 years, Victorinox executive that took its place. With the advance of the senior citizen fumble fingers, I find the slightly larger size of the executive  a bit easier to avoid dropping and making myself look like the village idiot.

I continue to find it odd that, in my retirement I find the need for less knife, even though I'm spending much more time fishing, shooting, and rambling the woods with Karen, and road trips exploring Texas. I now fully understand the old guys with the little pen knife. I've joined the club that only time can bring understanding and admittance to.

I haven't been around here as much as I used to. Maybe it's that we're spending much less time at home while doing day trips and exploring. Or maybe it's my lessening interest in possessions and material things. If I have a knife in my pocket, I'm good to go. I don't seem to care anymore what kind of knife it is, as long as it doesn't take up much room, and is sharp. I remember like it was yesterday, my dad telling me "it doesn't have to be big, just sharp." I wish I knew then how right he was. Maybe as a white bearded old man I don't worry about what may be, just what really is. I seem to get by with a coin pocket size knife for cutting fishing line, opening packages, trimming a good hot dog stick. Besides, the little knife in the coin pocket leaves more room for the RONCO pocket defibrillator in case of a vapor lock in the old oil pump. But most of all, it kind reminds me of the old guys when I was kid. How they didn't rush, but sort of paused and looked over what had to be done, and then deliberately pulled out a little slip joint and carefully cut what had to be cut. Most times it wasn't a big knife, or a fancy knife. Sometimes it was one of those little two blade jacks with the cracked ice handles from a stand up cardboard display by the cash register in a five and dime. Or it could be a nice little Ulster or Case with a real jigged bone handle.

In the old days, things came wrapped in a heavy brown paper and tied up with white twine. A pocket knife was needed to get to what was in there. Then the things came in a cardboard box wrapped in that brown packing tape that you wet to put on and it dried and was as good as an Egyptian mummy wrap. You ain't getting in there without a knife. Now with civilization, we have the plastic blister package, designed to resist both both and nail and mild charges of C4 explosive. A sharp knife is the only force known to man that will liberate the contents. Doesn't have to be big, just sharp. I've found the pen bade of a peanut, the small blade of a Vic classic, an executive, or even the orange peeler of the executive to work well defeating this packaging.

The youngest grand child seems to have learned this, although I don't know from where. This past summer was her third summer visit with here in Texas, and like her grandpa, she loves to fish. Sitting on the shady bank of the San Gabriel river, she's learned to tie a pretty good blood knot, and clean her own fish. We were siting on the back this past summer, and she was just tying on a hook, and I asked her if she needed a knife. Wth all the self assured attitude of a 9 year old, she flipped her ponytail and holding her head high said, "Grandpa, I do have my own knife now, you know!" And she took out a familiar looking red classic and trimmed what needed to be trimmed. She was careful and deliberate in her handling of the knife, and I was glad to see my pocket knife had a good home.

Then theres the harsh light of day reality. I know at my age I will never see real wilderness again. Karen and I saw Yosemite from the tourist train, and slept in the park lodge. Same thing with Yellowstone. And I have to admit it was nice to sit on the lodge veranda with a cocktail to watch Old Faithful. For the kinds of environment I will find myself in most times, a little coin pocket knife is all I need. I will never need to baton wood, I won't be hacking my way through the Amazon. I don't need heavy duty construction that will last for 30 years. In fact, I find it mildly depressing that everything I buy now, will come with a lifetime warrantee. In less than one month I will be a the average life expectancy of a male in the U.S. of A. I guess in the end, I'll just be another of those old men with a little pen knife in the coin pocket. The fact that it has a few tools is just gravy for the potatoes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:38:59 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline HolyDeuce

Re: The coin pocket SAK.
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 08:01:42 PM
cbl51, I sincerely enjoyed the read. Here's to many more years carrying that tiny red knife in your coin pocket.  :cheers:

Take care sir.

Deuce
Once you go SAK, you'll never go back.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:00:00 PM
cbl51-

At 75 I know exactly what you mean. I used to love back packing and hiking, etc. Now with a shot back and all the other afflictions of old age, I find my old Vic Tinker is about all I carry. Our generation carried pocket knives, not cell phones. I don't know how anyone would open blister packs and taped up boxes with a cell phone - probably ask one of us old geezers to use their knife :-) I played mumbly peg with the guys on the playground at recess in elementary school, no one ever blinked at it, and have carried a knife most every day of my life; now you'd get expelled for even carrying a knife near a school. Not sure I care for these modern times (no I don't have a cell phone). Maybe I should invent a cell phone case with a fold out blade!
Rich
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:42:39 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 10:55:30 PM
Excellent read, as usual. Thank you Obi-Wan!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 11:12:59 PM
I can see your point. My current edc these days is my full size Griptilian and usually my Ambassador dropped into my pocket.

I need the bigger blade for stuff here at work. The Ambassador is for the scissors and nail file.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 12:03:02 AM
With my retirement, the only tool I am not carrying is my Gerber or my Rebar. Just no use for them. Still carry a fixed blade, and 2 other pocket knives!

us Offline BClogic

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 12:14:46 AM
I only have 7 hours, 20 min and 33 more years until I retire......

Awlways know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 12:16:44 AM

Haha!!!!

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:32:16 AM
cbl51, I really enjoyed to read your well writen text!
It made me remember my grandpa and his sheep foot slipjoint knife.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 12:43:08 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I know that feeling...I will say, the light at the end of the tunnel gets bigger as you closer  to the end!  :woohoo:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 01:10:55 AM
Well done as always Carl!  My Executive has found a permanent home there. 

4 years for me  :D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:16:36 AM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 01:27:48 AM
I have tried carrying my Ambassador there, but tough for me to get it out AND not all my jeans have that pocket these days.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 01:53:52 PM

Hang in there, BC, you'll get there.

In the meantime, save all the money you can. You'll need it. Retirement is more expensive than you think, and you'll need every penny. Invest now in the stock market, its saved me. I was just a machine shop guy, blue collar and not a big wage earner, but over the course of 25 to 30 years the market did right by me. As did investing in some gold U.S. minted double eagles. Gold is way higher now than 1985, and when you sell a gold coin at a gold dealer, it's tax free profit. Go talk to someone at Fidelity. STARY NOW!!!!!

My gold investments that Made one coin at a time, paid off 30 years later with tax free profits. Just don't sell too many coins that go to the 10K mark when they report it to the IRS.

It's not easy, but planning now will pay off sooooooo big time 30 years from now. I got to retire almost 10 years early and I've been screwing off now all these years having fun, because of lots of prior planning. Too many people waste too much money on non essentials like big SUV's, and bigger homes than they need not thinking ahead to the years when they will be living on a lesser fixed income and need large amounts of cash and a stock portfolio. Live a bit frugal and it will pay off in the future.

When you retire its GREAT! Sleeping later, having a leisurely breakfast, going fishing or to the shooting range, lunch with your other retired friends, and an after noon with a good book. Fishing vacation to Key West, rafting on the Rogue River in Oregon, horseback riding in Big Bend National park. Sometimes doing nothing at all, and like the guy in the movie said, "Doing nothing is everything I thought it would be."

But plan now. It's worth it in the long run.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 02:03:13 PM
 :iagree: 110%
And if you can have your home paid off you are way ahead of the game!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 09:49:48 PM
Great read.  :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99