Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alcohol Stove plans?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Alcohol Stove plans?
on: July 07, 2015, 11:41:00 AM
Hi All

Been meaning to build one for a while, but I don't like the idea of using something as flimsy as cooldrink cans.
I have a stainless steel flask, useless little 200 ml things I never should've bought 2 of even if they were on special.  I need more coffee than that, and the seal is so useless I couldn't even keep some booze in it...

Final straw - bit of water left inside and it rusted.
I've checked out a zillion Instructables so I don't know which to use - any recommendations considering my materials?

Thanks
Gerhard

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Alcohol Stove plans?
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 11:47:01 AM
I don't know whether you have your heart set on building one or not, but Megan just got the Mini Trangia (available for around $10) and she seemed to really enjoy it on her recent camping trip.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 01:27:11 PM
I tried making couple versions of soda can stoves. They are not that good, and you can warm only so little of water. If there is even little wind, most of the fire is pulled off, so windguard is muts. Go for good trangia set. Saves you from lot cursing. Has great windguard, great burner, and great kettleset.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 04:12:45 PM
Another  :tu: for the Trangia.  Great little alcohol stove and you can spend time making a pot stand and wind screen. 

IMG_8027.jpg
* IMG_8027.jpg (Filesize: 215.54 KB)
IMG_8030.jpg
* IMG_8030.jpg (Filesize: 200.29 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:49:40 PM
You know what they say about idle hands?

....they throw useless flasks at passing traffic!  :rofl:

Thanks for the recommendations, Google seems to believe the Trangia is from South Africa, bonus since that's where I (we) get most everything from.....but the site is down...

I always suspected the DIY ones may be useless......and the whole concept is a bit useless since dry wood to burn can be found almost anytime anywhere...

Cheers

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 04:54:59 PM
I have made a few DIY stoves out of pop cans, some of them are petty mean. I made one out of two Fosters beer cans and that one was a beast. I still like wood burning stoves better. There is fuel for them just laying around for free and the smoke make the food taste better.

Nate
That's us mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:15 PM
I don't think that stainless steel is a good material for an alcohol stove unless you are wanting a "simmer only" stove. These types of stoves depend on the heat of the flame being conducted back to the liquid alcohol to boil it. I've made a few stoves from various aluminium containers, and the best has been a double walled design made from an aluminium beer bottle. It would easily bring the alcohol to a boil in the stove, producing a hot burning flame pattern that can boil 1L of room temperature (20C) water in just over 3 minutes. Perfect for a morning coffee (or tea) and bowl of instant oatmeal, or a freeze dried meal, but not for much else.

Trangia is from Sweden if I remember correctly. These stoves serve a valid purpose. I was camping a few weekends ago and there had been 2 days of steady rain just before. No dry wood to be found. Stove to the rescue! A pan fried steak with boiled rice is better than raw steak and crunchy rice. Shortly, we will no doubt have a hot and dry spell, which will result in an outdoor fire ban in order to reduce the risk of forest fires. I like coffee and eating hot foods, so stoves are required.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 05:25:41 PM
I'd be inclined to buy one too. I've made a couple in my time and they never are that robust really. And a new Trangia, Pathfinder or similar are never that pricey really :)

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 05:29:40 PM
This guy has a great channel when it comes to all things alcohol stoves and related items.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrHiramCook/videos
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 06:38:36 PM
You know what they say about idle hands?

....they throw useless flasks at passing traffic!  :rofl:

Thanks for the recommendations, Google seems to believe the Trangia is from South Africa, bonus since that's where I (we) get most everything from.....but the site is down...

I always suspected the DIY ones may be useless......and the whole concept is a bit useless since dry wood to burn can be found almost anytime anywhere...

Cheers

Maybe where you live it is, but it's not always the case up here in Scotland. :D

Trangia are a Swedish maker and I'm certainly a fan. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:51 PM
If you are yearning to make a stove here's one to try  :pok:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57025.0.html
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 06:48:45 PM
Sparky415 (Tony) makes a cracking little one from a aerosol can.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 07:29:15 PM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31235.0.html

This one.

I was going to make axe can stove, but never got that far. Still emptying that stinky deodorant can.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:31:03 PM by Crow »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 08:18:29 PM
Cheers for finding that Crow. :hatsoff:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 09:50:16 PM
My answer to your question is at the end of this thread Gerhard  :facepalm:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,36555.0.html

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:46 AM
 :salute: :salute: :salute:
Cheers Guys!

I used the search function but only for "alcohol stove"  :facepalm:

You just gave me what I'm looking for! :D 8)

I think the paint can plan should work 100% for the flask.

Thanks
Gerhard

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 04:20:36 PM
.....Google seems to believe the Trangia is from South Africa, bonus since....

Trangia are a Swedish maker and I'm certainly a fan.
Trangia is from Sweden if I remember correctly.

Sorry, blonde moment, I googled Triangia+South Africa looking to see if there are suppliers......was busy at work and hard a brain fart....  :facepalm:

Have to say, I hate aluminium cookware, its meant to be used for building planes and a few other things, and I shun any form of non-stick coating as well.

:D I found the .SE site, the first google showed me the SA disti's don't have stock or no longer stock.....so DIY it will be. 8)

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 08:27:30 AM

I started making one of these, found the Leatherman Surge scissors ideal for trimming down to size. Question for you, Tony, the top portion in the picture says 1/2 inch or 15mm. 1/2 inch is actually closer to 12.5mm which I assume is the intention, then the 6mm holes are at 18mm which should place them in the vapour region above the lowest part of the inverted top portion, correct?
do the holes have to be so big?

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 09:04:07 AM
Hi

I can't access YT from work and I finally got around to watching the vids last night........the flask has been sawed in half :D
I feel a bit stupid, finally understand the concept, and mine will be a bit smaller.....

More on this later  :multi:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 11:14:01 AM

I started making one of these, found the Leatherman Surge scissors ideal for trimming down to size. Question for you, Tony, the top portion in the picture says 1/2 inch or 15mm. 1/2 inch is actually closer to 12.5mm which I assume is the intention, then the 6mm holes are at 18mm which should place them in the vapour region above the lowest part of the inverted top portion, correct?

You confused me for a minute Rob   :think: :D
I see now you mean here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31235.0.html

A lot of my measurements are ‘more or less’ (I blame my eyes) I think either will do Mate it doesn’t have to be exact.... do it at 12.5 (more space for fuel) :tu:

That is correct, the 6mm holes are drilled below the ‘insert’, you will be able to see the line where the insert ends once it is pushed in so again the measurements are rough

You could try a smaller hole if it doesn’t work make it a bit bigger (I think that’s what I did when I made them I started of small and ended up at 6mm)

Good luck Rob  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 11:15:00 AM
Hi

I can't access YT from work and I finally got around to watching the vids last night........the flask has been sawed in half :D
I feel a bit stupid, finally understand the concept, and mine will be a bit smaller.....

More on this later  :multi:

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 12:58:07 PM

You confused me for a minute Rob   :think: :D
I see now you mean here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31235.0.html

A lot of my measurements are ‘more or less’ (I blame my eyes) I think either will do Mate it doesn’t have to be exact.... do it at 12.5 (more space for fuel) :tu:

That is correct, the 6mm holes are drilled below the ‘insert’, you will be able to see the line where the insert ends once it is pushed in so again the measurements are rough

You could try a smaller hole if it doesn’t work make it a bit bigger (I think that’s what I did when I made them I started of small and ended up at 6mm)

Good luck Rob  :salute:

Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, I quoted the wrong post somehow. So as long as the holes don't go below the 20 mm hole of the "cone" section it should work Ok.  Now I see why you used the countersink bit to widen them out.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:59:21 PM by TazzieRob »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD