Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Toothpick or Tweezers: Pick One

Poll

Toothpick or Tweezers?

Toothpick
12 (27.3%)
Tweezers
32 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Toothpick or Tweezers: Pick One
on: July 08, 2015, 08:49:21 AM
So say you are carrying a manager and nothing more. Given you only have one slot to fill with a scale tool, which will it be? I know I fall firmly in the toothpick camp. That toothpick is one of the main reasons I carry a SAK in the first place, because I always get food caught in my teeth, and with out my handy toothpick it gets really irritating.

But tweezers can be very useful too, and I am curious which one you guys would choose. :whistle:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:57:07 AM by GoatDragon »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Toothpick or Tweezers: Pick One
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:33 AM
Well its tough to choose between the two, but for the slot I would always choose tweezers as I cut the little nub off the toothpick and keep it in my wallet so I always have a toothpick no matter what.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:02:42 AM
Forgot to add. Last time I was at the dentist he had cards with a roll of floss in them. Its the thickness of two credit cards stacked (which is nothing really) and has a bunch of floss in it. It is in my wallet with my other cards and I do not even notice it. I love the design and next time I go i'm going to ask for a bunch of them.
I'm the milk man!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:53 AM
Toothpick. I don't think the tweezers work particularly well...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:13:40 AM
Well its tough to choose between the two, but for the slot I would always choose tweezers as I cut the little nub off the toothpick and keep it in my wallet so I always have a toothpick no matter what.

You're a genius! See, the main reason I started this thread is because I was lamenting the loss of tweezers in my EDC with my new manager. I don't use the tweezers very often, but I like having them on me in case I get a splinter or a tick. I cut out little 3x5 card in the shape of a credit card, taped the tweezers down to them and stuck it in my wallet. Now I can have the tweezers at hand in case of an emergency, while still having the toothpick easy to access where I need it on my SAK!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:23:30 AM by GoatDragon »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:33:50 AM

You're a genius! See, the main reason I started this thread is because I was lamenting the loss of tweezers in my EDC with my new manager. I don't use the tweezers very often, but I like having them on me in case I get a splinter or a tick. I cut out little 3x5 card in the shape of a credit card, taped the tweezers down to them and stuck it in my wallet. Now I can have the tweezers at hand in case of an emergency, while still having the toothpick easy to access where I need it on my SAK!

Glad to help.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:46:04 AM
Tweezers for me.  Toothpick only really gets used for cleaning fluff out of the crevices of SAKs.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:20:48 PM
Tweezers.   Smallest pair I have.   Works really well in very tight places.  I was re-rigging a model wrecker, and I don't think it could have been done without my Craftsman's tweezers.

I used the toothpick once, but only because it was a new, fresh from pack toothpick. I don't use them for the intended purpose, considering all the places my SAKs have been!   You should have seen the gunk I removed from the liner when I pulled off the damaged scales on my Fieldmaster to replace them.   I too use it mostly for cleaning stuff that gets caught in a knife that prevents it from closing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:22:04 PM by cody6268 »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 02:17:26 PM
Toothpick. I don't think the tweezers work particularly well...

+1

They're OK for some tasks, but Uncle Bill's work much better. :D

us Offline mrog

Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 02:28:49 PM
Gimme the tweezers! Toothpick is easier to fabricate on the spot. I keep toothpick/flosser things in my car, on my desk at home, and at my job. The tweezers can even pick your teeth in an emergency.
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 03:59:43 PM
I goofed. My browswer moved the screen on me while voting. Tweezers all the way. Never used the toothpick at all. Tweezers on the other hand, pretty useful.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Tweezers for me.  Toothpick only really gets used for cleaning fluff out of the crevices of SAKs.

Same here.  I have never used the toothpick for anything except cleaning lint out of SAKs.  Its too thick to actually get between the teeth.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 05:13:16 PM
I use my toothpick for my teeth AND cleaning the pocket lint out of my SAK.

Let's not pretend our mouths are these really clean places. Dogs' mouths are MUCH cleaner than ours, and they lick their privates all the time.

With a 3 year old in daycare, pocket lint is the LAST thing that's going to make me sick.

Goat, one tip: Wenger toothpicks are thinner and work a LOT better than Victorinox's.

I'm wondering if maybe the thing to do is to sharpen the tweezer tips points, then they could double as toothpicks...? Kind of like a watchmaker's tweezers.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 05:26:14 PM

I used the toothpick once, but only because it was a new, fresh from pack toothpick. I don't use them for the intended purpose, considering all the places my SAKs have been!   You should have seen the gunk I removed from the liner when I pulled off the damaged scales on my Fieldmaster to replace them.   I too use it mostly for cleaning stuff that gets caught in a knife that prevents it from closing.

That's one reason I have transparent sapphire scales on my manager. I can see the gunk, and if I need to, blast it out with my waterpik.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 05:34:30 PM
The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual says this about choosing between toothpick and tweezers when installing a pen:

Modification 24. The Officer can write
Any of the Officer models that has a toothpick or tweezer can have an SAK pen instead of the T or T: Remove the T (or T). Hold the knife between the jaws of a vise, padded with cardboard, so the plastic scale will not bulge away from the liner when the bit goes in. Send a twirling drill bit down the T or T hole, keeping the bit against the liner. All Vic pens, long (91mm knives) and short (58 mm Signature I and II), are .09” or 2.2mm wide; a 3/32 (or a #41 = .096”) bit works. The toothpick is better to give up for a pen not because there is something in the way behind the cross & shield emblem (there isn’t) but because you can pick your teeth but not pull a splinter with the pen.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 05:34:40 PM
I use the toothpick more than any of the scale tool. But if I had to choose one it would be the tweezers. I can carve a toothpick with the blade.
Nate
That's us mobile
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:41:39 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 05:39:13 PM
I use tweezers more than anything.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 05:49:05 PM
Tweezers. The toothpick is a bit of a chocolate teapot in my eyes.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 05:57:12 PM
The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual says this about choosing between toothpick and tweezers when installing a pen:

Modification 24. The Officer can write
Any of the Officer models that has a toothpick or tweezer can have an SAK pen instead of the T or T: Remove the T (or T). Hold the knife between the jaws of a vise, padded with cardboard, so the plastic scale will not bulge away from the liner when the bit goes in. Send a twirling drill bit down the T or T hole, keeping the bit against the liner. All Vic pens, long (91mm knives) and short (58 mm Signature I and II), are .09” or 2.2mm wide; a 3/32 (or a #41 = .096”) bit works. The toothpick is better to give up for a pen not because there is something in the way behind the cross & shield emblem (there isn’t) but because you can pick your teeth but not pull a splinter with the pen.
Pick your teeth with a pen? I hardly see how that could work. It's too thick, and you would probably swallow some ink.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 06:12:27 PM

I'm not the only one!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using A box of monkeys on a treadmill and a quantum leap

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #20 on: July 08, 2015, 06:42:32 PM

???
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 12:19:37 AM
Toothpick. I always keep Uncle Bills tweezers on me and they are ten times better. These are the big 3 that stays on my keychain.

Tweezers
Nail Clippers
Signature
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 12:26:03 AM
No doubt about it, the toothpick!

The tweezers are handy, especially in the Classics that I put in my firstaid kits.  I picked up a few Classics on eBay in a Lot of SAKs.  So I cleaned and sterilized the knives, toothpicks, and tweezers, replaced a few dingy scales, and put them in the firstaid kits I have for camping, the boat, and the car. 
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 12:59:25 AM
Tweezers for me.  Harder to improvise, compared to the toothpick.  I really don't use toothpicks often, though I like the idea of tucking one in my wallet. :tu:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 12:59:55 AM
Toothpick. I always keep Uncle Bills tweezers on me and they are ten times better. These are the big 3 that stays on my keychain. (Image removed from quote.)

Tweezers
Nail Clippers
Signature

I always have a Uncle Bills as well.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 01:36:42 AM
Tweezers for me.  Harder to improvise, compared to the toothpick.   :tu:

What he said

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 01:46:05 AM
I use the tweezers all the time.  I never need the toothpick, but couldnt tweezers work as a toothpick anyhow?  Or cut a sliver of wood off something...
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #27 on: July 09, 2015, 12:37:02 PM
Have to go with the toothpick for my bad teeth. Once the teeth are fixed, this could well change to tweezers - which are also awesome and frequently used for splinters and grey hairs...

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: July 09, 2015, 02:56:44 PM
Tweezers for me.  Harder to improvise, compared to the toothpick.  I really don't use toothpicks often, though I like the idea of tucking one in my wallet. :tu:

You're talking about toothpicks here as if you're out in the wild, with nothing else to do but whittle a toothpick. I could whittle a fork and spoon too, but that doesn't mean it is practical to do.

When you need a toothpick, you need it within seconds, without a branch at hand, just like when you need a fork or spoon for eating or a pen for writing.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #29 on: July 09, 2015, 03:40:16 PM

???

British expression - meaning of little utility/worthless/useless etc like a teapot made of chocolate (because the hot water would melt the chocolate). :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%