Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What are your favorite two scale tools for 58mm SAKs?

Smaug · 19 · 1720

Poll

What are your favorite two scale tools for 58mm SAKs?

Toothpick
7 (20%)
Tweezers
10 (28.6%)
Retractable Pen
11 (31.4%)
LED light (any color)
7 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 16, 2015, 03:54:18 PM

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
This is an expansion of GoatDragon's recent poll.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: What are your favorite two scale tools for 58mm SAKs?
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:57:41 PM
The retractable pen is really useful. I was searching for a good way to add a pen to my edc for weeks before I gave in and ordered a manager. Before that I was carrying a shortened no 2 pencil in my wallet. My SAK's pen is much better! Hand sharpening that pencil with my SAK's blade was fun though...

That, and of course the toothpick. Some hair-brained dentist thought it would be a good idea to remove two of my molars when I was a kid to make more room in my mouth. It left a gap between my back teeth that gets food stuck in it every time I eat. This is why the toothpick is essential edc for me.

I cheat though, and carry a third scale tool. The most recent addition to my edc is a small first aid kit in my wallet which contains (among a few other small items) a set of victorinox tweezers in a sheath I constructed from 3x5 card paper and scotch tape.

When my girlfriend saw my manager she loved it, and ordered herself a midnight manager. I was skeptical about the tiny watch battery powered led at first, I much prefer the Fenix E05 AAA flashlight on my keychain. But when the SAK arrived, it surprised me. The white led was bright, and there was something satisfying about the study click of the shield button. Not only that, but the cool factor of having both a light and a pen in your SAK is pretty high. I still prefer my AAA light though, and I can't give up my toothpick.

So yeah, toothpick and pen for me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:35:17 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 06:06:27 PM
Random Thought:

If I chose a Midnight Manager for my keys, I could do away with the dedicated LED keychain light and have the pen handy outside of work, when I don't normally carry a pen.

Then, the classical SAK (whichever one) in my pocket for outside of work has the T&T.

I'd like to see a pic or two of that wallet rig, Goat.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 06:09:11 PM
Pen + Light.

The others you can improvise. I'm upgrading all my 54mm with these two.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 07:23:20 PM
There's no choice for what I find most important. The SD tip of the nail file. I use the heck out that thing. Everything uses small phillips screws these days. And I can open a beer with it easier than the semi functional bottle opener on the Leatherman squirt.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 07:36:58 PM
There's no choice for what I find most important. The SD tip of the nail file. I use the heck out that thing. Everything uses small phillips screws these days. And I can open a beer with it easier than the semi functional bottle opener on the Leatherman squirt.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a Rambler/Manager.  :tu:

How do you open beer bottles with the 58mm SD nail file? I am usually pretty good about opening beer bottles with things not designed for the task, but when I tried to use the nail file once, I couldn't figure out which way to push it with out fearing I would bend the tool.

Oh, and btw, we are talking about the tools that fit in the scales, not the main tools.  :pok:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:02:36 PM
Random Thought:

If I chose a Midnight Manager for my keys, I could do away with the dedicated LED keychain light and have the pen handy outside of work, when I don't normally carry a pen.

Then, the classical SAK (whichever one) in my pocket for outside of work has the T&T.

I'd like to see a pic or two of that wallet rig, Goat.

I just made a post about it in a more appropriate forum. Here's a link so you find it.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=60665.new#new

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:04:50 PM

Sounds like you need to get yourself a Rally/Rambler/Manager.  :tu:

How do you open beer bottles with the 58mm SD nail file? I am usually pretty good about opening beer bottles with things not designed for the task, but when I tried to use the nail file once, I couldn't figure out which way to push it with out fearing I would bend the tool.

Oh, and btw, we are talking about the tools that fit in the scales, not the main tools.  :pok:

FTFY (got one recently and only doesn't get carried more often because I haven't upgraded the scales yet).

Use nail file tip instead of knife/spoon.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline mrog

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:26:48 PM
Pen and Tweezers with the Manager, or nothing with Alox.

I can not stand the LED. The tint is multicolored. There is no beam, just a scattered pattern of various brightness. There is no "on" so one hand is pretty much always occupied holding down the switch. A pocket computer flashlight is 100x's better.

I could MAYBE live with all those issues just to simply have SOME sort of backup flashlight, but then Victorinox goes and makes the shield a cheap off-red sticker instead of the standard metal inlay. That sticker wears off over time and ruins the class IMO.

When its all said in done I think the best route is going with 58mm Alox. Carry a real pen and stash them everywhere. Forget the LED. Put a toothpick in your wallet, stash them everywhere, or make one on the spot out of anything. That leaves tweezers that you can put in your wallet next to your toothpick, or you can buy a separate set that are better than Victorinox.

Alox is thinner, lighter, and way more durable in the long run.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:31:36 PM by mrog »
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

us Offline mrog

Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:29:04 PM
double post sorry
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 08:30:18 PM by mrog »
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 11:36:54 PM
Pen + Light.

The others you can improvise. I'm upgrading all my 54mm with these two.

This.
I can't vote for either cause both are critical pieces of my EDC. So since I can't vote for both I have to vote for neither.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 11:55:22 PM
I can't vote for either cause both are critical pieces of my EDC. So since I can't vote for both I have to vote for neither.
You actually can vote for both in this poll.

Pen and Tweezers with the Manager, or nothing with Alox.

I can not stand the LED. The tint is multicolored. There is no beam, just a scattered pattern of various brightness. There is no "on" so one hand is pretty much always occupied holding down the switch. A pocket computer flashlight is 100x's better.

I could MAYBE live with all those issues just to simply have SOME sort of backup flashlight, but then Victorinox goes and makes the shield a cheap off-red sticker instead of the standard metal inlay. That sticker wears off over time and ruins the class IMO.

When its all said in done I think the best route is going with 58mm Alox. Carry a real pen and stash them everywhere. Forget the LED. Put a toothpick in your wallet, stash them everywhere, or make one on the spot out of anything. That leaves tweezers that you can put in your wallet next to your toothpick, or you can buy a separate set that are better than Victorinox.

Alox is thinner, lighter, and way more durable in the long run.

Too bad Alox Ramblers are inexplicably expensive.  :ahhh
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:58:05 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:48:02 AM
When I got into SAKs last year I would have said toothpick hands down. Spent 5 years as a combatives instructor and my teeth paid the price. Now I carry three or four of them little plastic toothpicks with the peice of built in floss in my wallet. Far and away more effective.

Hardly use tweezers but when I can pick a sliver out of my daughters foot it is invaluable. Not to mention it lets Daddy be the hero. So tweezeers are in even though they could just be carried in the wallet with the picks.

The light and the pen are both handy and it is a close race. In the end it comes down to which is most important when the need arises and how hard it can be to find a light. Seems like pens are everywhere.

Oh and no lame Vic light but the vastly brighter Wenger model.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:49:14 AM by HarleyXJGuy »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:12 AM
Oh and no lame Vic light but the vastly brighter Wenger model.
The newer Vic models have a nicely bright light, see the difference between 2014 and 2015 here
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Offline Tjzm1993

Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 01:05:35 AM

I open my beer bottles with my class ring, lol. But if we're gonna talk about layer tools of the 58mm SAK, i say hands down the most versatile is the combo tool. Bottle opener, wire stuff, and the phillips fits normal-headed #2 screws (weird ones can still be a loose fit). I still dream of adding a 58mm combo tool to the backside layers of a 91mm SAK.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 03:45:57 PM

I open my beer bottles with my class ring, lol. But if we're gonna talk about layer tools of the 58mm SAK, i say hands down the most versatile is the combo tool. Bottle opener, wire stuff, and the phillips fits normal-headed #2 screws (weird ones can still be a loose fit). I still dream of adding a 58mm combo tool to the backside layers of a 91mm SAK.

I believe the Combo Tool is only present in 84mm+ models.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 04:45:59 PM

I believe the Combo Tool is only present in 84mm+ models.
I think he means the 58mm tool with the philips and bottle opener on it.  :)
As for adding it to the backside of a 91mm SAK, I've thought about it a few times.  :drool:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 05:31:55 PM
I think the the Tweezers + Pen is my favorite

Followed closely by Light + Pen

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 06:15:44 PM
I choose the toothpick and tweezers, as I have no others as of the yet.
I think a pen at least would be very handy.

I'd have thought the light on the MM might be useful for writing in the dark. Anyone?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:19:12 PM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44