Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Boker plus Teck tools

Essexman · 116 · 14986

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Boker plus Teck tools
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2015, 06:38:28 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline kakashi

Reply #31 on: July 17, 2015, 09:11:31 PM
Just spotted these myself while doing my fortnightly look at HH.

They look nice and there's some thought put into them but I can't help but wonder why they  didn't make the blade oho? I know my fellow countryman will be pleased but for us outside of Blighty it seems like a bit of an own goal.

If this is easy disassembled, I can see that people will be going nuts modifying them.

Looking forward to a real review rather than the pr post on HH.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 03:30:04 PM
They look nice and there's some thought put into them but I can't help but wonder why they  didn't make the blade oho? I know my fellow countryman will be pleased but for us outside of Blighty it seems like a bit of an own goal.

OHO is frowned upon in Germany as well, a lot of people think it's illegal. (Even a very nice lady in a knife shop explained in Germany to me that OHO was illegal there, which judging from what people here have said, is not quite correct. (Either OH or locking is my understanding for Germany.)) Also, someone like me thinks it looks better with just a nail nick than a pin, and OHO would require softer opening which would then require a lock which would then make it illegal in Germany... I know they exist, but non-locking OHO isn't exactly common. (Yes, I own a Spyderco UKPK, lovely knife. :) ) What I'm saying is stuff like that is complicated, it could be as easy as wanting to make a less threatening, more socially acceptable knife than most "tacticool" designs, to try and reach a wide(r) market.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: July 19, 2015, 03:41:59 PM
Played with one, here is my super(ficial) assessment

- Its light but feels solid, the scales are really nice
- The tools look good, solid snap, no wiggle (well, not as precise as a Vic but oh so close)
- Don't like the scissors, as both parts move when cutting (This is the only really bad thing I can say and its at least partially my preferences)

I didn't buy one because: It does not really bring something new to the table (yet). The glass-breaker probably only pokes the pocket, the tiny rescue blade is just that, tiny and while the pocket clip and the scales are nice its not enough for me to swallow my Swiss pride :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 19, 2015, 09:59:53 PM

Only had it a day, like it lots.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #35 on: July 19, 2015, 10:05:04 PM
Looks very nice.  Could you take some shots of it next to a SAK of some sort?  I like the look of the green G10.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 19, 2015, 10:15:47 PM
Great photos mate! Tbh it's the single blade one I fancy
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #37 on: July 19, 2015, 10:52:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing.  Nice clean slippie.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #38 on: July 19, 2015, 11:15:03 PM
COOL, that looks sweet! :drool:
SAW

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #39 on: July 19, 2015, 11:24:08 PM
That is a cool looking knife mate :)

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 12:23:46 AM
Depending on the price, I'm pretty likely to end up with one of these after they reach The Colonies.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 02:17:39 AM
It looks like a number of Broker products,that is,solid and well crafted.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: July 21, 2015, 08:27:43 AM
"small serrated blade with flat screwdriver"
For me, the screwdrivers are the tools that accidentally close the most, adding a serrated blade to one seems a bit dangerous. Anyway, the whole thing looks like its slightly curved, maybe that is enough to prevents (reduce the chance)  this from happening.

de Offline matzesu

Reply #43 on: July 21, 2015, 09:09:46 AM
They looks pretty cool, but whitout Twizzer, Toothpic, Can Opener, and Phillips Screwdriver, mybe wants to wait a bit..
Its looks better than the Swisschamp, and this Belt Clip could be realy usefull,
Theyre on a good way, but i wait for :
Tectool 10:
Blade, Saw, Scissors, Corgscrew, Pliers, Can and Bottle Opener, Ale, Philips, Twizzers and Toothpic in the Scale,
Mybe then i will get me one of then..
Whitout the Swisschamp XLT, meybe i would get me Modell 4 but now this would be a downgrade toolwise

Boker is great, i enjoiy using my Griplog as EDC Second knife for task, i dont use the Swisschamp
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 01:34:22 PM
Some photos of the 3-layer version next to some SAKs.

The main blade I like a lot.  A good size, kind of a sodbuster shape, full-height hollow grind, 12c27 stainless steel.  The max thickness at the spine is 2.5mm, a little thinner than a 93mm alox SAK, but whereas the SAK blade tapers along its whole length, the Boker blade is a constant 2.5mm thick for about 2/3 of its length and only tapers in the final third.  So in terms of robustness it feels pretty comparable to a 93mm SAK blade.

The scissors are decent enough, but as Etherealicer mentioned, both parts move as you cut, which feels a bit odd.  They cut well, but not quite as smoothly as Victorinox scissors.

The cap lifter is near identical to the one on a 91mm SAK.
bokertechtool00.jpg
* bokertechtool00.jpg (Filesize: 57.07 KB)
bokertechtool01.jpg
* bokertechtool01.jpg (Filesize: 65.81 KB)
bokertechtool02.jpg
* bokertechtool02.jpg (Filesize: 55.56 KB)
bokertechtool03.jpg
* bokertechtool03.jpg (Filesize: 61.21 KB)

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 01:40:22 PM
Excellent pics shibafu, thank you.  :cheers:  Yours too Essexman.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:43:00 PM by zoidberg »

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #46 on: July 25, 2015, 01:43:19 PM
Some more...

The one tool that has no SAK equivalent is the small serrated blade.  A poster on Britishblades suggested this blade is designed for cutting the foil off wine bottles, which it does indeed seem well suited to.  The tip is a flat Phillips screwdriver like the Vic can opener one, and works well in that capacity, but it feels a bit hazardous to use with that serrated blade attached to it.

Corkscrews are near identical, but the Victorinox eyeglass screwdriver doesn't fit the Boker.

The awl is the same pattern as the Victorinox one, but is slightly broader and thicker, and has a sharper edge and point.
bokertechtool04.jpg
* bokertechtool04.jpg (Filesize: 54.01 KB)
bokertechtool05.jpg
* bokertechtool05.jpg (Filesize: 56.25 KB)
bokertechtool06.jpg
* bokertechtool06.jpg (Filesize: 54.45 KB)

us Offline tommywp

Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 02:04:13 PM
Very cool. No back tool on the main blade, with back tools on the other layers seems like a very good design decision.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 05:15:24 PM
Great pics, thanks shibafu.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: August 08, 2015, 10:26:28 PM
Got mine today.

The one thin I noticed when I tested it out (and its also very visible on the picture below from shibafu) is that the small screwdriver does not open to 180°, making it even more prone to accidental closing. So, I played a little bit with it and promptly had it close on me :ahhh, careful how you hold that thing. Seriously, this is a very nice SAKALIKE but that small screwdriver scares me.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #50 on: August 09, 2015, 01:29:57 AM
Got mine today.

The one thin I noticed when I tested it out (and its also very visible on the picture below from shibafu) is that the small screwdriver does not open to 180°, making it even more prone to accidental closing. So, I played a little bit with it and promptly had it close on me :ahhh, careful how you hold that thing. Seriously, this is a very nice SAKALIKE but that small screwdriver scares me.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's too bad. I was strongly considering one. Those handles appear to be the same G10 that is on one of my Boker knives that I really like. And it was hitting all the right buttons for me with the tools except for that. I know I would close it on myself  :(

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 01:38:16 AM
I really like the look of these, and even though I'm having a mass clearout of my stuff, I'm very interested in giving one of these a try.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline TRUE LIBERTY

Reply #52 on: August 09, 2015, 01:45:11 AM
No phillips head?!?! Makes no sense with that setup of tools they provide. And this video shows how poor of a performer the scissors are compared to a SAK.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 09, 2015, 03:27:26 AM
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #54 on: August 09, 2015, 03:37:49 AM
No phillips head?!?! Makes no sense with that setup of tools they provide. And this video shows how poor of a performer the scissors are compared to a SAK.

Probably doesn't help that he keeps using the wrong hand  :rofl:

Looks like the scissors need crinking a bit. I'm less worried about the fact that the "Phillips" substitute doesn't open out inline, and more concerned that it has serrations on. I'd need to play with it to see if I felt I could adopt a safe grip for using that implement as a driver

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline TRUE LIBERTY

Reply #55 on: August 09, 2015, 04:32:38 AM

Probably doesn't help that he keeps using the wrong hand  :rofl:

Looks like the scissors need crinking a bit. I'm less worried about the fact that the "Phillips" substitute doesn't open out inline, and more concerned that it has serrations on. I'd need to play with it to see if I felt I could adopt a safe grip for using that implement as a driver

Not sure I believe it matters what hand he was using.  But maybe someone who has one can do a similar test. I really wanted to like these but the Phillips is probably the number one tool I use.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: August 09, 2015, 10:31:55 AM
Scissors: That is really sad, I think that is the most popular tool on small pocket knifes with more than just a blade.
Phillips: I will try it out some more and if RT is not going to do the Off-Brand October with it, then I will.

Here is some more from my first 24h (I carried it yesterday for a 2-hours hike).
The lanyard attachment is kinda bad: folded in its useless, folded out it adds a very pointy point.
Glass-breaker: Great idea but I don't like it as it pokes me.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #57 on: August 09, 2015, 01:21:50 PM
I've tried the scissors on mine on paper, plastic, leather, paracord and microcord, and while they're not as good as Victorinox scissors, they do work, and they're better than Leatherman Juice scissors.  And yes it does help to apply a little sideways force to prevent the blades separating as they close.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #58 on: August 09, 2015, 02:19:13 PM
Seems like maybe you guys are using the screwdriver tip on the knife wrong.

How about if you use it while pressing against the back stop, as you'd use a 91mm Vic combo tool on a Phillips?

Or just forget it's there and consider it a wine bottle foil knife? In that capacity, it's better than anything anyone else makes.

Both halves of the scissors moving (aka Wenger) has its pros and cons too: there's no fragile leaf spring to bend  or break. It should be fine for snipping threads and less precision tasks, only not good for coupon clipping.

Pokey glass breaker: is it pokey when carrying on the pocket clip too, or just during pocket carry?

It may seem like I'm trying to defend it without ever having handled one, but I'm not. I'm just saying that if you expect it to be just like a Victorinox, that's the wrong attitude. Be open-minded to a different way of doing things and to some different applications.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: August 09, 2015, 02:28:54 PM
I agree, maybe we should focus on the strenght of that tool (wood shaving etc.) rather than its weakness as screwdriver.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%