Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Someone should tell Swiss people that knives are dangerous :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
So, this weekend there was then national championship in Schwingen (Swiss Wrestling). Over 56'000 spectators... and very traditional Swiss food (cheese and dried meat and salami/cured sausages)... pretty though to cut, so they are served on a wooden board. And of course you need a knife to cut it. Usually, that would be a SAK, but this guy brought something larger.

Kinda glad that we still live in a place where this is possible. Where we still can smile about things like this...
arena-sundig.jpg
* arena-sundig.jpg (Filesize: 41.72 KB)
messermann.jpg
* messermann.jpg (Filesize: 38.53 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Someone should tell Swiss people that knives are dangerous :D
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:18:40 PM
Lol! Weird to not see hotdogs and popcorn, like in the movies.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 12:36:48 AM
Good to see there is still some cultures where knives are still considered normal parts of daily life. Then again, I guess if most people have an assault rifle at home then having a knife is hardly a big deal...

It is kind of sad that knives, as the great tools they are, is increasingly being regarded as an issue in general society elsewhere. It is indeed a case of the few ruining it for the big majority,

One can argue that those few will not respect any such law anyway - as any unlawful use is already illegal. But it does give the police an option to deal with knife carrying by people that seems to carry them for all the wrong reasons. One can just hope they use good judgement around that and not go crazy over ordinary daily use. Sadly some people and policemen do seem to get carried away though.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 12:59:47 AM
Here in the uk some poor sod is getting stabbed every day. It’s a sorry state of affairs and I don’t know what can be done to change it. I wish I could carry my wave all the time. But when not at work I never encounter anything a small non locking pocket knife can’t handle providing its sharp.

My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:38:23 AM
Here in the uk some poor sod is getting stabbed every day. It’s a sorry state of affairs and I don’t know what can be done to change it.

The short answer, IMO, is that very little can fundamentally be done to change it.  You won't hear politicians admit this, though, because it isn't the sort of talk that wins elections.  Ultimately, the will and desire to commit violence will result in (you guessed it) violence; whatever tool(s) are available will be used.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 08:23:39 AM
My mentor is Swiss, when he visits "home" he apparently continues carrying his 40cm Elmax chopper with a smaller utility knife riding kangaroo that he carries here when on the farm.

Most of the stabbings here are drunk lower-income people using a kitchen knife 2am in the morning  :facepalm: 

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 10:33:29 AM
Lol! Weird to not see hotdogs and popcorn, like in the movies.
This is a different audience. You would see hotdogs and popcorn here at a soccer event... but Swiss wrestling is different (you can spot the white-wine), even the beer comes in glass bottles.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:45:47 AM
My mentor is Swiss, when he visits "home" he apparently continues carrying his 40cm Elmax chopper with a smaller utility knife riding kangaroo that he carries here when on the farm.

Most of the stabbings here are drunk lower-income people using a kitchen knife 2am in the morning  :facepalm:
There are very few restrictions to carry a blade here... when it comes to fixed blades there is only one limitation, no dagger with a point + double edge and a length between 6 and 32cm. But at most events you won't be allowed to bring anything larger than a SAK (sometimes it is pretty arbitrary, airport security for the visitor deck told me I can't bring my SwissTool Spirit, but they were fine with the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian  :think:), at some events/places (soccer, night-clubs) you can't even bring that.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 10:18:21 AM
There are very few restrictions to carry a blade here... when it comes to fixed blades there is only one limitation, no dagger with a point + double edge and a length between 6 and 32cm. But at most events you won't be allowed to bring anything larger than a SAK (sometimes it is pretty arbitrary, airport security for the visitor deck told me I can't bring my SwissTool Spirit, but they were fine with the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian  :think:), at some events/places (soccer, night-clubs) you can't even bring that.

On a recent visit to town a local assumed he was a tourist and told informed him he does not need to carry a knife in Namibia, to which he replied that he's been in Namibia more than a decade and definitely needs to carry a knife  :cheers:

Sadly these two Swiss investors, employers and all round great people have given up the constant battle and uncertainty regarding residence and employment visas, a curse on the fools that run this country

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%