Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch Forged in Fire?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch Forged in Fire?
Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 12:28:25 PM
Another vote for Man at Arms: Reforged  :tu:

It would be fair to say they make knives in the first round and edged weapons in the second round.

Quite frankly, knives don't kill people, people kill people  :P ,  and a steak knife in your kitchen does the job as well as anything else.

Mini-spoiler, watch Dave Baker's reaction when Doug demonstrates the use of a karambit on him  :rofl:

I view myself as a junior member of that fraternity, and if you make knives a sharp edge is the goal, not something to be squeamish about  :gimme:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 01:36:44 PM
Man at arms reforged is a great utube channel. They did a utube quickie update recently that they are going to be doing a tv show soon too. That should be a good one to watch.

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 03:12:35 PM
At least two of the Man at Arms dudes have taken part in FiF, I believe both won their rounds......stand to be corrected.

I would love working there  :gimme:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 05:50:53 PM
Deadliest Warrior on SpikeTV down here. My little guy and I liked that but FiF even more.

That's the one!  Modern Warrior didn't sound right.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 09:50:12 PM
:pok:

There's a lot that I really like about the show- in addition to repeatedly having Ray on!  :D

Just watched that episode  :like: :like: :like: :like: :like:
Ray is the same age as my dad, should get him to make a knife

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 11:15:17 PM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 10:23:41 AM
Or you could get one that is already made.... :D

https://store.multitool.org/departments/raker-knives-and-steel-mini-panabas-knife-225.html

Def

Very nice  :salute:
About as much as my car installment  :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 12:36:41 PM
Yeah, hand crafted stuff isn't cheap, but it sure is nice!  :D

Def

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 07:09:15 AM
Loving the show here too -- on the other side of the world!

Not sure what season is showing on TV but I have the utmost respect for all the contestants in that show!

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 02, 2017, 09:54:41 AM
Yeah, hand crafted stuff isn't cheap, but it sure is nice!  :D

Def

Since I'm binge watching season 4 please excuse the lack of details, but one of the contestant said the 2 great sins of a blacksmith is hitting cold steel and under-charging for your work.

That's why I decided a while ago already to stop taking orders (I had 3 orders  :rofl: ) or trying to sell anything.  I'm making what I like, and if anybody likes it as much and is willing to pay a fair price, they can have it.

If that works out I'll have an excellent collection  :drink:

I'm liking the new season, I just think they don't need to be desperate about finding new challenges, nothing wrong with recycling old ones. 

They need only worry about running out of blade smiths, and when they do there are several South African blade smiths I would love to see on the show  :gimme: I know of one that has auditioned.  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: June 02, 2017, 03:06:51 PM
If you make it on the show, I guarantee we will make it a HUGE event here!

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: June 02, 2017, 03:07:13 PM
I totally blame that show for my dreams now being mangled up with anvils, belt grinders, hydraulic hammers and kilns - and some voice saying "it will kill". I might need therapy :)

Seriously though I'm quite fond of the show - actually fond of most shows which showcases various kinds of craftmansship.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: June 02, 2017, 03:48:39 PM
Agreed- that was what I liked most about the early days of Mythbusters.  I love watching folks build things.

Counting Cars in the early days used to go into the build details and that was great, but then they started to get more and more into the sob stories of people, similar to what Extreme Home Makeover did, and eventually seemed like it was just a very expensive charity show.

Def

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 04:46:41 PM
If you make it on the show, I guarantee we will make it a HUGE event here!

Def

:salute: I need a few years practice for sure.... :rofl:

I'm constantly surprised by the contestants, the variety, the skill....or the lack thereof.

At this stage, my kingdom for a real belt grinder and a power hammer...... :facepalm:

ca Offline JP

Reply #44 on: June 02, 2017, 10:32:35 PM
I watched the Aida episode last night online. The Aida is a good looking sword.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: June 07, 2017, 04:02:18 PM
I failed to get a screen shot but David Baker looked to be wearing a Leatherman Tread bracelet in the last episode. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:04 PM
Head's up.......looks like we're 4 or 5 episodes into the new season!

I failed to get a screen shot but David Baker looked to be wearing a Leatherman Tread bracelet in the last episode.

I think your right......

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 06, 2018, 12:05:34 PM
 :cheers:

Season 5 probably only has a few episodes left, and I enjoyed it as much as ever.

I'm scared the show becomes a victim of it's own success, I believe they have a winning recipe and they're not likely to run out of contestants anytime soon (which is in itself amazing).

I would like to see episodes dedicated to international contestants, as well as 2nd opportunities for guys like Walter Sorrels etc.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #48 on: August 06, 2018, 10:51:57 PM
I watch it religiously.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #49 on: August 07, 2018, 04:12:55 AM
I read an article in the Houston Chronicle about this show and one of the Texas winners. Many of the winners learned at a blacksmith school in San Antonio. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 07, 2018, 08:18:49 AM
Thanks to HoJ forge on Youtube I know I don't meet the requirements yet, not that I have aspirations, but because forging blades is something I do I'm humbled by the skills, and just as upset when people show up unprepared.....part of the show I guess  :cheers:

I'm aware of some negative vibes out on the interwebs about the show, but I believe if SHTF it will have contributed to there being enough knives post-SHTF  :rofl:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #51 on: August 07, 2018, 02:54:29 PM
It's one of the few shows still worth watching.  😀
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: October 03, 2018, 09:16:43 AM
Season 1 - 8 episodes
Season 2 -  10 episodes
Season 3 -  16 episodes
Season 4 -  23 episodes
Season 5 -  30 episodes.........and counting  :woohoo:

I just love this  :salute:

:cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: October 03, 2018, 02:56:02 PM
I enjoy seeing all the young blade smiths competing or trying to make a name.  Been fun watching the show grow and the camaraderie of the smiths. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #54 on: October 03, 2018, 04:02:28 PM
I enjoy, so does my wife, at least she seems to as she does not pick at it when I watch the DVR copy.

Tonight's episode is to start a 20 competitor invitational, I believe for 5 episodes for a purse of $50,000 to final winner.   Not certain the format for eliminating smiths but sure it will be interesting.

The show has evolved, beyond the hammering and sharpening, to the smiths need ing to understand the metals they are working, and welding metals together.   Brains as well brawn with talent.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: October 04, 2018, 02:15:33 PM
I enjoy seeing all the young blade smiths competing or trying to make a name.  Been fun watching the show grow and the camaraderie of the smiths.

Especially this season the young guys have shown what they're made of.  :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 06:09:36 PM
Just started season 2... fun so far. What concerns me is that Weapon == hacking tool for them. The judges even mock contestants for adding cross-guard (which is what makes it a weapon IMO). Oh and Doug Marcaida has to work on his cutting technique, especially with longer blades, its not called draw-cut for no reason. But overall I'm impressed by the judges, they do a really good job with quality/functionality over looks (I once watched a model-casting show and they sent a contestant home in the 5th round, because she was too short... what did they expect, that she would grow???).

And what some cook up in 3h / 5days wowzzeeeeee :o
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 04, 2018, 06:22:42 PM
As per the original question by the OP...

NOPE

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: October 05, 2018, 09:59:36 AM
I enjoy, so does my wife, at least she seems to as she does not pick at it when I watch the DVR copy.

Tonight's episode is to start a 20 competitor invitational, I believe for 5 episodes for a purse of $50,000 to final winner.   Not certain the format for eliminating smiths but sure it will be interesting.

The show has evolved, beyond the hammering and sharpening, to the smiths need ing to understand the metals they are working, and welding metals together.   Brains as well brawn with talent.

Watched it last night so now I understand what you mean........fascinating concept for what I assume is the last episodes of the season......

Just started season 2... fun so far. What concerns me is that Weapon == hacking tool for them. The judges even mock contestants for adding cross-guard (which is what makes it a weapon IMO). Oh and Doug Marcaida has to work on his cutting technique, especially with longer blades, its not called draw-cut for no reason. But overall I'm impressed by the judges, they do a really good job with quality/functionality over looks (I once watched a model-casting show and they sent a contestant home in the 5th round, because she was too short... what did they expect, that she would grow???).

And what some cook up in 3h / 5days wowzzeeeeee :o
DM took a lot of flack for some of the tests, but I think 99% of us couldn't do better.

I'm itching to do the FIF Youtube 3-hour challenge, hopefully I can give it a try in December.

The more seasons, the more episodes....the better my chances of winning $10000!  :woohoo:
And to put that into perspective....that how much my car cost that I'm paying off over 5 years.....

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: October 08, 2018, 11:07:14 AM
DM took a lot of flack for some of the tests, but I think 99% of us couldn't do better.
Yeah, but 99% are not "expert judges"

I'm itching to do the FIF Youtube 3-hour challenge, hopefully I can give it a try in December.

The more seasons, the more episodes....the better my chances of winning $10000!  :woohoo:
And to put that into perspective....that how much my car cost that I'm paying off over 5 years.....
Good luck, I wish I had any skills in that department.
What is the longest blade you ever crafted?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%