Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch Forged in Fire?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch Forged in Fire?
Reply #90 on: May 17, 2019, 09:21:42 AM
Battle of the Branches = 2 episodes per week  :woohoo:

Why are the Navy guys so fat?  :think:
 :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: May 17, 2019, 11:44:25 AM
Battle of the Branches = 2 episodes per week  :woohoo:

Why are the Navy guys so fat?  :think:
Improved floating capabilities :tu: :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• No Life Club
Reply #92 on: May 20, 2019, 09:16:26 AM
Improved floating capabilities :tu: :salute:

:rofl: Exactly what I was thinking  :cheers:

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #93 on: May 20, 2019, 07:38:16 PM
As far as I understand, U.S. Navy is relaxing its rules on body fat limits and has loosened its restrictions on fat sailors. Now they can loosen their belts and put on weight as fitness levels lowered  :popcorn:
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #94 on: May 21, 2019, 11:11:41 AM
 the Navy guys are not just heavier, I think they also tipped the scale in their favor when it comes to this contest, producing 2 excellent officer swords... not like the Marines, where the one that bent won because the other broke.

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: May 21, 2019, 11:23:59 AM
Very valid point  :salute:

Me calling them fat is the old pot calling the kettle black!  :rofl:

Luck. I do not think the best smith won in each case, but that is life.......

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: May 21, 2019, 01:33:00 PM
Very valid point  :salute:

Me calling them fat is the old pot calling the kettle black!  :rofl:

Luck. I do not think the best smith won in each case, but that is life.......
That is how it goes in this contest... no room for errors and a little hiccup can cost you the race (I guess changing it to best of 35, like in the snooker world championship, would be a bit too time consuming).

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: May 22, 2019, 11:35:17 AM
(I guess changing it to best of 35, like in the snooker world championship, would be a bit too time consuming).

I can only guess, but it seems the show is very successful and growing.  Can't think of a single episode that I found boring, so that leaves room for the smiths that were obviously unlucky to come back for redemption episodes.....which I've really enjoyed.

Almost want to go as far as to say I'm worried they over-achieve and run out of contestants  :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: May 22, 2019, 03:03:05 PM
I can only guess, but it seems the show is very successful and growing.  Can't think of a single episode that I found boring, so that leaves room for the smiths that were obviously unlucky to come back for redemption episodes.....which I've really enjoyed.

Almost want to go as far as to say I'm worried they over-achieve and run out of contestants  :facepalm:
Not that soon... whatever military branch wins, the others will want "revenge", then they can do more Champion of Champion rounds and of course... state battles... go international...
I think they will run out of reasonable historic weapons before they run out of contestants. Although it would be fun if Wil announces the weapon they have to forge at home: "The Arquebus" now that would be a challenge... forging a barrel.

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: May 23, 2019, 12:43:14 PM
Not that soon... whatever military branch wins, the others will want "revenge", then they can do more Champion of Champion rounds and of course... state battles... go international...
I think they will run out of reasonable historic weapons before they run out of contestants. Although it would be fun if Wil announces the weapon they have to forge at home: "The Arquebus" now that would be a challenge... forging a barrel.

And I think that's the beauty of it, no matter how the recycle or combine challenges, it will never be the same outcome twice.....

Yay international editions  :facepalm:

Come to think of it, they could do a season or two in South Africa, UK should be good for several seasons, and the rest of the EU will just need translators and subtitles!

I think they should hire me!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: May 23, 2019, 02:58:55 PM
I would love to see an international show.   :like:.  GG write the show and tell them how much SA would be interested in appearing.  Let them know what a great community of blade smiths there are. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: May 23, 2019, 04:18:27 PM
I would love to see an international show.   :like:.  GG write the show and tell them how much SA would be interested in appearing.  Let them know what a great community of blade smiths there are.
Eastern Europe is quite big in that department (Almost all HEMA and Medieval weapons come from there). Some of them produce combat ready swords on a daily basis, many do elaborate hilts. That would give them quite an edge (at least for the second round).
HEMA and the Medieval Scene actually have rejuvenated the smithing in Europe quite a bit, even in Switzerland you can make an apprenticeship as weapon-smith again.
Recent years also have increased the demand for custom kitchen knives (mostly because men cook and they want good knives to do so).

Of course it is questionable if the pros will compete (not many ABS master-smiths actually partake in the show, I only recall Burt Foster). But I'm certain, there are enough capable smith to be found here.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: May 23, 2019, 08:41:03 PM
Of course it is questionable if the pros will compete (not many ABS master-smiths actually partake in the show, I only recall Burt Foster). But I'm certain, there are enough capable smith to be found here.

It might be too much of a gamble for masters? On one side if they participate they are just expected to win, and if they do the prize isn't that much in a pro setting. Not much upside there I guess. On the other hand they might be asked to make a unheard of thing from unreasonable materials without their usual tools, Thus the downside is a real risk for a loss - possibly even to someone just starting out with a converted grill, hammer and a angle grinder... (Some of those guys make amazing stuff with quite ordinary and basic tools).

I think they have many impressive people there already, and it would be interesting what more masters would add and do differently.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #103 on: May 23, 2019, 09:04:31 PM
I heard about in March and now watch in.

My Mom had surgery so I was up visiting.  She was talking about the show and how my brother and her liked to watch it together.  I watched it with her while there and watched several times since.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: May 23, 2019, 10:51:01 PM
 :like:  Pretty cool mom enjoyed the show. 
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: May 24, 2019, 09:21:47 AM
Eastern Europe is quite big in that department (Almost all HEMA and Medieval weapons come from there). Some of them produce combat ready swords on a daily basis, many do elaborate hilts. That would give them quite an edge (at least for the second round).

Massive talent in that part of the world, language is the barrier.  Just look at the photos from the Kiev knife show posted here occasionally.

They might prefer making a $10000 knife  :cheers:

I believe they are aware, I know some have even auditioned.  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: June 13, 2019, 07:29:56 PM
Season 6 Episode 17......
Enjoyed it, had thoughts like "Breads Matter"...... :cheers:
But(t).......more than I can remember in the history of this show I felt a contestant got robbed.
 :hatsoff: to the looser

• No Life Club
Reply #107 on: September 06, 2019, 10:31:37 AM
Finally watched the episode which Jason from the YT channel HOJ forge took part in and won.  :cheers:

From a recent video of his it now seems there's 18 months+ between filming and airing  :think:

I'm a bit torn by the changes in the show, I guess they have to step up things but in many recent episodes I felt the contestants faced harder challenges than many before them, I guess that's just luck.

As a die-hard fan I don't see the need to spice things, they can do slight variations on previous challenges for many more seasons without me getting bored.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%