Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GoalZero Nomad 3.5 and Guide 10 Plus

Aloha · 16 · 5670

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
GoalZero Nomad 3.5 and Guide 10 Plus
on: May 22, 2016, 11:12:37 PM
Pretty stoked to find this little gem.  The guy who owned it said it wasn't what he expected ( charging an iPhone ) was no go.  I wanted it for what I see its real strength is, capturing the suns energy then storing it in batteries to be used later. 

Anyone got feed back on this device?  I looked at them a while ago but the price kept me away.  I couldn't walk away from this one however for $12.  Yeah you read that right!  Scoooooooooore. 
IMG_0793 copy.jpg
* IMG_0793 copy.jpg (Filesize: 174.54 KB)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:12:58 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: GoalZero Nomad 3.5 and Guide 10 Plus
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:25:36 PM
Wow, $12? :o  :ahhh

I've been wanting one of those for 2 years, maybe longer. I think I posted about that in a few threads before.

Would love to hear what your experiences have been with it so far? Also, why couldn't the previous owner charge his phone on it? no appropriate charging cable or what?

us Offline Archibald Tuttle

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:22:07 PM
$12 ! Excellent score!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 08:57:29 PM
He said he was a cyclist that toured all over the US.  He was getting rid of most his stuff.  He had camping gear as well but nothing I needed.  I did however also pick up an MSR fuel bottle. 

I'm going to charge 4 AA batteries tomorrow.  It was missing the AAA adapter but I've located one.  It did have the necessary cables for charging so I firgued it wasn't up to the task just solar alone.  I'm certain with 4 AA batteries being charged from the sun then using those to charge the phone would be fine.  He may not have been aware of using the Guide 10 as a power bank? 

I was so surprise when he said what he wanted  :D.  I honestly couldn't take my money out fast enough. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:59:27 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 09:35:46 PM
If you ever want to get rid of it, I'm only a PM away. ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 11:15:31 PM
 :D Enki if I do ever want to move it on, IF, you sir would be my first thought. 

It's amazing little piece of gear.  I'm still a little surprised having finally acquiring one myself. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 11:51:51 PM
Serious score there!

I can't wait to hear how you get on with it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 11:28:04 PM
Yeah I know it's a old thread.  I have found that if you want to charge anything seriously with Goal zero panels you really need at least 15watts worth of panels, minimum.  Luckily you can chain two or more of them together in sequence.

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #8 on: December 30, 2019, 01:48:58 PM
I almost dropped the hammer on buying a very compact solar panel, but fortunately I read a lot of reviews fist and ended up getting a Necktek 21W panel instead.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 05:16:22 PM
Great score! I think mine was $75 new like 5+ years ago. I have been really happy with it. It is the Nomad 7 with the kit. No problems with mine!

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 06:50:43 PM
  Before getting a inverter for the car I used an 8 watt solar panel to charge my phones when out driving. Later discovered that a lot of BlackWeb dual port portable batteries can take a charge from a solar panel and put out energy at the same time - no external inverter needed. Although I've been looking for a battery charger and an in-line power meter (to see what cords/setup would work the best.

Got an invitation to 50% off this dual port USB battery charger, so I lept on it.

Victagen: New code for you again: B8UJ-5U567Q-FPHQA5. It is available after 5 hours. Any question, please let us know. Thanks. & The 50% off code is : 76X4-GHR66L-GQTNAC, the website is : https://www.amazon.com/Victagen-Universal-Rechargeable-Batteries-Cylindrical/dp/B08393TYQN, Any question, please feel free to contact us again.

Not sure how great the GoalZero one is. Looked at them but the more batteries to charge the longer it is needed to be in the sun. Kept hoping to win some in their contests. Local Cabela's had a lot of their panels and accessories on clearance a while back, but I done went with SunTactics - and more recently a 14 watt on a blemished sale. Will get to test that out this year.

Best to get the biggest panel one can afford. More light gathered the better & faster of the charging.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 05:47:27 PM
Just yesterday I thought I'd break out my set up.  Its been great and while I've not followed up at all I cannot complain at its performance for me needs/uses. 
The Eneloops are HR-3UTGA 1.2V 1900mah Made in Japan.
The Charger is Panasonic BQ CC55A

What is did was put 4 Eneloops in the charger.  The lights all lit red so according to the instructions of the charger that means the cells are 20% or less.  The pdf instructions say 4 Eneloops should take 3 hours to charge ( up to 2000mah). 

I placed the GoalZero panel in about 45 degree angle to sun with 4 Eneloops.  The sun was hitting the panel with no could cover for about 2 hours then clouds moved in and I checked the cells in my charger.  The charger showed yellow lights which according to pdf manual says 20%-80% charge.  I watched the charger and within 5-10 mins the lights all went green.

Id' say the panel did a great job at charging those cells IMO.  Are there better? YES.  I am happy for what it is and what I payed. 

I keep cells charged up but I know if I needed a top off or a bit of a charge I could depend on it.  I live in So Cal and we get a lot of sun so that plays a huge part in my very CRUDE "testing".   BTW this is about what I've experienced without actually checking the cells as crudely as I did.  I may have a go at using the multimeter next time but again I always go with charged cells and tops off as needed.     
IMG_0249.jpg
* IMG_0249.jpg (Filesize: 159.56 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 10:23:27 AM
  Am impressed for a 3.5 watt solar panel.  :tu:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 04:43:34 PM
Being in Cali sure makes solar a great thing.  I was surprised and will follow up again with better testing using a multimeter from start.  I was surprised for sure at 2 hours of charging. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 07:52:06 PM
Soooo.... When do I get it?

:whistle:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 05:08:28 PM
 :ahhh uhhh.   8) Its been a great piece of gear so I'll have to hang on ti it for a little bit.   I am hopeful I'll happen upon another solar outdoor piece of gear.  Theres a guy who frequents the fleamarket who gets some really random items.  He had ICE AXES.  We dont live anywhere near ICE CLIMBING.  I seriously almost bought them  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD