Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bring it back! (KF4 Appreciatcion Thread)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: Bring it back! (KF4 Appreciatcion Thread)
Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 02:32:37 AM
Good point, gtg! That would be an excellent combo  :cheers:

A stock KF4 and a Soldier would also be a good combo. You wouldn't have scissors, but you could get a lot done with those 2 tools.

I think I would actually prefer a stock KF4 and a "Soldier with scissors". I don't think there's ever been a 93mm with scissors though, has there? And please don't tease me with pics of some amazing mod I'll never have!  :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:34:06 AM by max6166 »
[

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #31 on: August 11, 2008, 01:10:14 PM
...Which I think is pretty good considering the difference in the overall sizes of the tools. :) I personally think the KF4 makes a great hiking/camping tool, partly because of the "large" saw in such a small tool.

I don't have any Vics, Sogs, etc. to compare, but if anyone else wants to take a pic, I'd be interested. :multi:
Here ya go Luke http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/S6300515.jpg[/img]]                       KF4 + SAK Huntsman & SwissTool                                                                                                                                      http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/S6300534.jpg[/img]]                         Side by side with the Huntsman .KF4 is almost 1cm shorter & only 1/2 cm wider (comparing knives at their widest points)  :o                                                                                                                                                                                http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/S6300535.jpg[/img]]                              Group hug Swisstool , Supertool ,Juice & Surge . Top too bottom  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 04:48:08 PM by MultiMat »

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #32 on: August 11, 2008, 01:41:48 PM
Sounds like there's a few more fans out there than just me! :)

I was guessing some people would ask for scissors, as they seem to be about the "favorite" implement that the KF4 lacks. Although I love the current setup, I'd also be happy to see the serrated blade switched with scissors...

I'm kinda surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for the saw... I can understand not wanting a MT-sized saw in general, but IMO the Juice saw is a standout feature on the KF4. I've used it fairly often, both on wood and drywall, and I've been very happy with it. Also, even though the KF4 is so much smaller, the saw has the same cutting length as the Wave, Charge, and Surge. :o I think it's a great design. :) The saw and awl combo make a great drywall pair by the way.

I think I'll take a pic comparing the saws and post it here tommorrow. :)
I hope I did not beat you to the punch Luke , but in the short time I have had my Kentucky Fried Juice I have got a bit attached to it . Initially the lake of scissors & BOTTLE opener was a major concern but I have gotten over that. I quite like the saw option in such a small Tool & all the talk about it got me thinking.                                  http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/S6300564.jpg[/img]]                         I did a small saw trial on some hard wood , with my Surge , SAK Huntsman , Juice & Swisstool. They all seemed ok & the Juices blade although short did not hinder it too much. I was surprised at the SAK's saw I was not expecting too much but it did ok.                                                                                                                                      http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/S6300538.jpg[/img]]                             The Juice's saw is actually longer than the Surge's  :o But the Surge saw is a bit beefier .                                               http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/S6300568.jpg[/img]]                        I think when it comes to serious sawing you need a proper saw but in a pinch I would be happy to use any of the above tools , I just need a beer opener on my KF4  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 04:49:39 PM by MultiMat »

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 08:33:07 PM
Thanks MultiMat!! Those pics are awesome. :multi: Thanks for doing that. :)

I think its a really strong point of the KF4 (and Juices in general) that even though they are smaller, the "working" portion of the files and saws are really quite comparable to the larger tools. :) Even the Swisstool only has one or two more teeth on the saw. :o

I think when it comes to serious sawing you need a proper saw but in a pinch I would be happy to use any of the above tools...
I agree entirely. MT saws aren't for "real" work, but they sure can be handy for small jobs. :)

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 08:40:46 PM
A lot of people seem to want scissors on the KF4. So what does everyone think about the XE6? Gives you scissors and more. Weighs 25g more.

Also wondering if anyone has ever considered modding the KF4 or EX6 to get that configuration...
[

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 04:20:25 AM
Also wondering if anyone has ever considered modding the KF4 or EX6 to get that configuration...
I'd love to see a juice mod... :multi:

Aside from the obvious problems, I have a hard time choosing the perfect setup. :P

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 05:48:29 PM
A lot of people seem to want scissors on the KF4. So what does everyone think about the XE6? Gives you scissors and more. Weighs 25g more.

Part of the KF4's appeal (IMO) is the fact that it is a great size to hold and for me has nearly everything I need and nothing I don't.  The XE6 adds a lot of bulk and tools that I am not so keen on.
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 02:39:37 PM
Thanks MultiMat!! Those pics are awesome. :multi: Thanks for doing that. :)

I think its a really strong point of the KF4 (and Juices in general) that even though they are smaller, the "working" portion of the files and saws are really quite comparable to the larger tools. :) Even the Swisstool only has one or two more teeth on the saw. :o

I think when it comes to serious sawing you need a proper saw but in a pinch I would be happy to use any of the above tools...
I agree entirely. MT saws aren't for "real" work, but they sure can be handy for small jobs. :)
No worries cobber . I always thought the Juice line was a bit of a joke , but all the talk about the KF4 lead me too getting one. I reckon they are a "SUPER" pocket knife .A SAK with proper pliers :o :D , I think if you put a red Victorinox on one  micky d would be raving about them :pok: :D

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 09:17:20 PM
I think if you put a red Victorinox on one  micky d would be raving about them :pok: :D
Maybe Scieber could help us on this one... :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 04:46:24 PM
Thanks a lot Luke.  You have driven me to hunt for a KF4 on Ebay.   ::)  :D

There are none available right now.  :(
- Terry

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 06:04:23 PM
 You'll love and appreciate the KF4.I had one for sometime,and I liked mine,it just didn't fit my needs or requirements.
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 08:04:27 PM
I've been considering the tool selection, and it seems that it would be the perfect thing in combination with a minimalist SAK.  The Vic Compact would be perfect IMO, since it has the tools that the KF4 is missing.  A Yeoman would also be a great choice.

So, it seems that I now need a KF4.  ::)  It's all about the never-ending quest for the perfect EDC combo.

:multi: :climber:
- Terry

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 08:32:12 PM
So, it seems that I now need a KF4.  ::) 
Sounds like it. :D I'm kinda sad about how hard they're getting to find. :cry:

And if you think about it, I can't imagine it would be too hard for LM to bring them back, since they've got all the pieces still in production for the other juices. :pok: (Yellow guy=me, Blue guy=LM)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 03:26:26 AM
Makes me wonder why in tarnation they ever discontinued it. What was the point? Like you say they are still making all the same parts. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 12:12:42 PM
Makes me wonder why in tarnation they ever discontinued it. What was the point? Like you say they are still making all the same parts. :-\

It can't have sold very well I guess.  :-\ Which is surprising.
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 06:15:03 PM
I think the sales were largely affected by the colours. They need to make it look more rugged and manly for it to be taken seriously. It looks too much like a toy.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 11:33:23 PM
I think the sales were largely affected by the colours. They need to make it look more rugged and manly for it to be taken seriously. It looks too much like a toy.

The other Juices seem to do well though.  :-\
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 12:32:58 AM
Is there another name for the Officer SAK? I can't find it :(

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 12:44:51 AM

The other Juices seem to do well though.  :-\

That's true, but I was thinking that perhaps the configuration of the KF4 appeals to a different market than the others, and that it's appearance doesn't reflect that.

The KF4 is more of a no-nonsense workhouse, but it looks like all the other models which are more appealing to the general public.

In other words, a guy looking for a Wave or Gerber is more likely to dismiss it because it doesn't look tough, while the general public would pick it up and put it back because the tools aren't cutesy enough in comparison to  the rest of the line. It's just a theory though.

My other theory is that LM dropped it so that people more people would buy the more expensive XE6, which I would hazard a guess has a larger profit margin than the KF4.

Ultimately though, I think it all probably has a lot more to do with pricing. The pricing of the Juice series as a whole has always struck me as a bit strange, especially within the context of LM's entire line of products.

Yeah, I know those theories all contradict each other. But they sounded good when I wrote them!  :D
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 12:58:36 AM
I find if you write enough contradictions you are just more likely to be correct.  :D
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 01:12:19 AM
I find if you write enough contradictions you are just more likely to be correct.  :D

You are absolutely right, though I don't agree... :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 04:32:44 AM by max6166 »
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #51 on: August 16, 2008, 03:18:54 AM

I've also read and heard the Spartan called the Officer's knife
I

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:20 PM

I've also read and heard the Spartan called the Officer's knife

I believe that the Spartan was the first style of what we know know as the Officers series yes.  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:25:43 PM by Benner »
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 12:34:25 AM
That's true, but I was thinking that perhaps the configuration of the KF4 appeals to a different market than the others, and that it's appearance doesn't reflect that.

The KF4 is more of a no-nonsense workhouse, but it looks like all the other models which are more appealing to the general public.

In other words, a guy looking for a Wave or Gerber is more likely to dismiss it because it doesn't look tough, while the general public would pick it up and put it back because the tools aren't cutesy enough in comparison to  the rest of the line. It's just a theory though.
That's about what I would guess too... I wonder what would happen if it came back with a serious make-over, say Ti scales (for the knife crowd) or bone/wood scales (for the traditional crowd)? It seems that sort of thing could make it stand out to the markets that it's tool selection would best fit.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 09, 2008, 12:17:46 AM
My KF4 came today! It's grey, Moontrail was sold out of the yellow ones. Buy anyway, I love this thing. Instant affection. My other Juice is an S2, honestly, I was underwhelmed. But the KF4, its awesome.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 02:39:37 AM
My KF4 came today! It's grey, Moontrail was sold out of the yellow ones. Buy anyway, I love this thing. Instant affection. My other Juice is an S2, honestly, I was underwhelmed. But the KF4, its awesome.
Horaay!! Another KF4 found a happy home. :D Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the KF4 club. :)

I agree about the S2, actually. I carry mine some, and it's a fine tool, but it's never grown on me at all. :-\ Maybe it just needs more time...

Offline Lion

Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 06:04:05 AM
I had an S2, but gave it to my mom. I liked it and really liked the scissors, but I just missed having a diamond file too much.

Leo

Edit: Woops, almost forgot. Congrats on the KF4!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #57 on: September 12, 2008, 08:32:26 PM
I have a yellow KF4 on the way too :D

I've had a brand new one for a while, but I've been reluctant to use it as the anodised scales don't seem too hard wearing. But now I have a used one coming, I'll EDC it and give it a proper test.

Still need a grey one though  :P

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #58 on: September 13, 2008, 06:16:57 AM
*DTH covers ears*

I do NOT need a KF4, I do NOT need a KF4, I do NOT need a KF4, I do NOT need a KF4, I do NOT need a KF4, I do NOT need a KF4, I do NOT need a KF4.

Dammit, now I need a KF4.  >:( >:(
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: September 13, 2008, 07:22:06 AM
Oh, you need a KF4, yes, you need a KF4
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%