Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First impressions: The Nutter by Full Windsor (Bike Tool)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
The Nutter from Full Windsor
is a bike tool I wanted, ever since I saw it on Kick-starter. Finally, I got one.

Disclaimer
I'm no metal expert and I virtually just unpacked the tool (ok, its almost a week now), so I have no experience with it.

The Tool
Personally, I was drawn to it because it has a simple shape and offers all the basic functions you need when fixing a bike (or at least when fixing what most likely is going to break == flat tire). While its difficult one tire lever can make it work, especially since there is always something else that can work in a pinch as a second lever as the second lever is mostly used to hold everything in place.
- 1 Tire Lever
- 1/4" bit holder (Magnet holder for two bits in the frame)
- 15mm wrench
- Spoke wrench (works on both my bikes :tu:)

I immediately noticed an imperfection in the steel (see red arrow), this is most likely irrelevant, as the tool is massive enough for the tasks it is designed for

Nutter next to the Urban 8 from Topeak.

Especially, with the spoke wrench, you can see that this has not been manufactured with precision.

If you remove the bits, the magnet will come out too. Nothing a drop of glue can't fix.

The Sheath
The sheath is nicely made from leather. It designed to be attached to your saddle.

How cool is that, the bits and bit-holder are held in place by bike tubing. Sadly, its a bit tight for the Nutter itself (see red arrow).

Both the bits and the bit holder come in shiny silver color. I have no idea what that means but in my experience silver bits are of poor quality (dark grey does not guarantee good quality, but I never had silver bits that were good). Also its different than in all the product photos were they had dark grey bits.

Summary
Overall I got the impression, that now that all the reviews are in, they decreased quality (it kinda looks cheaper than on the pictures), cut some corners used cheaper bits to increase profit. Whether that is true or not I cannot really say.
Even if the quality part is true, bits and bit-holder are easily replaced and I truly love the design on this one. I also think the tire-lever is excellently shaped (better than on the Urban 8).

Pros:
- Design (still love it)
- Sheath
- Fits 2 standard bits

Con:
- It feels like an unfinished tool that needs some refinement
- Pricey (over 49 USD)
- Only 1 tire-lever
nutter_01.jpg
* nutter_01.jpg (Filesize: 506.87 KB)
nutter_02.jpg
* nutter_02.jpg (Filesize: 478.46 KB)
nutter_03.jpg
* nutter_03.jpg (Filesize: 352.56 KB)
nutter_04.jpg
* nutter_04.jpg (Filesize: 325.62 KB)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:27:02 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: First impressions: The Nutter by Full Windsor (Bike Tool)
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 01:21:35 PM
more images
nutter_05.jpg
* nutter_05.jpg (Filesize: 457.6 KB)
nutter_06.jpg
* nutter_06.jpg (Filesize: 263.19 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 02:59:41 PM
Nice write up, thank you.  :cheers:

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 08:23:54 PM
Zoid is right, nice write up. How do you like the Urban 8, did you try to change a tire with it?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:44 AM
Zoid is right, nice write up. How do you like the Urban 8, did you try to change a tire with it?
I like the Urban 8 (have it now a year or so) and used it to change tires.

PRO
- 15mm wrench + 2 tire levers (all you need to change a tire)
- 4/5mm allen, with those you can adjust more or less everything on your bike
- Cheaper than the Nutter (IIRC its about 20USD)
- You can buy only the small lever (if you loose it)

CON
- Tip of the main lever (the metal one) is a bit thick)
- Tool itself is unnecessarily massive and as a consequence heavy

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:40:42 AM
Thank you!
I was thinking about adding one to my load bike - It would add everything I need to do roadside tire repairs or basic adjustments, especially in combination with a MP 600 or SAK I usually carry.

The weight is not much of a concern with this bike... Might be different on a roadbike.

babboe.jpg
* babboe.jpg (Filesize: 130.84 KB)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:47:05 AM
Thanks for the write up. The imperfection in the steel seems it could just be something getting in the way when the finish was applied, at least by the pic
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 09:57:30 AM
Thank you!
I was thinking about adding one to my load bike - It would add everything I need to do roadside tire repairs or basic adjustments, especially in combination with a MP 600 or SAK I usually carry.

The weight is not much of a concern with this bike... Might be different on a roadbike.
The weight is not a concern at all... it's just unnecessary

Two things, on the pro side you can supplement it with whatever bits you need. On the con side, like all these designs they cannot reach all the places. E.g. it cannot tighten the screws that hold my baggage rack.

If you anyway carry a MT and/or other tools why not get a
LEZYNE SABRE TYRE LEVER + a regular tire lever

That probably works better (although its not cheaper and you loose the bits).

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:59:48 AM
Thanks for the write up. The imperfection in the steel seems it could just be something getting in the way when the finish was applied, at least by the pic
It's not a pry-bar so I seriously doubt it will affect performance BUT it goes together with the general feel that they are starting to cut corner in production to increase profit margin. They used to have good reviews on quality and finish and I got the impression they are slacking now.

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 12:31:22 PM
So what is in your bike kit?

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 02:07:08 PM
I'm a firm believer in MAINTENANCE over repair.

Once a year I replace tires and tubes (and check everything, I also replace the break cables every two years). Commonly the back tire is through and the front tire would still last a couple of month but I like to do all at one time. The tubes I replace as rubber is not known to handle temperature differences well (I ride my bike winter and summer more than 100km a week). Also I don't have a car and a set of tires (Stab proof Continentals only for me) cost less than a parking space for a car would cost per month. So, I can't remember when I had a flat on my main bike (I recently had one on my second bike where I don't do maintenance. And it was a storage damage, the valve was ripped out).

As I always go by bike, so I have the bike gear in my regular kit (being prepared is still a good idea even with diligent maintenance). Now this will sound familiar:
It consists of 5 items, one of them is fairly obscure... can you guess them? :rofl:

Will take a picture tonight :salute:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:08:46 PM by Etherealicer »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 02:16:47 PM
I'm a firm believer in MAINTENANCE over repair.

Once a year I replace tires and tubes (and check everything, I also replace the break cables every two years). Commonly the back tire is through and the front tire would still last a couple of month but I like to do all at one time. The tubes I replace as rubber is not known to handle temperature differences well (I ride my bike winter and summer more than 100km a week). Also I don't have a car and a set of tires (Stab proof Continentals only for me) cost less than a parking space for a car would cost per month. So, I can't remember when I had a flat on my main bike (I recently had one on my second bike where I don't do maintenance. And it was a storage damage, the valve was ripped out).

As I always go by bike, so I have the bike gear in my regular kit (being prepared is still a good idea even with diligent maintenance). Now this will sound familiar:
It consists of 5 items, one of them is fairly obscure... can you guess them? :rofl:

Will take a picture tonight :salute:

Chocolate, alcohol, lego figures, coin, magnifying glass.  :whistle:

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 04:00:40 PM
Well I haven't done anything with my bike in years so maybe I should look into it.

As for the items:
cheese, bacon, bread, sak, 2CHF

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 09:17:12 PM
Here is the kit with a Pioneer for size:

Safety quick spanner (To remove the wheel)
2 mini tire levers (one with hook)
Sandpaper
Self-sticking patch

bikekit_01.jpg
* bikekit_01.jpg (Filesize: 419.84 KB)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:53 PM
Etherealicer, I guess I was just looking for an excuse to buy the Topeak Urban 8... ;)
A "standard" set of tire levers, a "Knochen" (wrench with multiple obenings in ball-like ends) and some patches are all I need in addition to teh Tools I do carry in my work bag anyways...
The Lezyne lever/wrench looks very nice. I´ll have a look in the bike parts box and think about a tire repair kit.

I am with you on the topic of maintenance and am sure except of a flat, not much should happen to the bike, but I like to be prepared and have basic tools with me.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%