Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Olympia Edge multitool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Olympia Edge multitool
on: April 21, 2015, 07:02:55 PM
I picked this one up for (I think) $25 at a local hunting and fishing shop, and as far as cheapos go, it's not too bad.  Certainly not as bad as some I have seen, although I wouldn't trade a SwissTool for it!

For $25 you get what I always refer to as a "sock" style sheath- that is the sheath looks and feels like it is made from an old sock that is sort of worn, but a special kind of floppy.

Still, it holds the tool, which is really what you want in a sheath, so while it doesn't seem like it is going to be a huge prize winner, it is at least functional.

As with many cheapos there really aren't any markings on the outside, as if the company that made it doesn't want to take credit for it.  Still, at least out of the package it feels solid enough, and frankly I'd have a hard time deciding between this and the Leatherman Rev.   ::)

Opening the blade shows you that the company actually did put their name on it, and an adorable little polar bear, so long time members will know this particular unit isn't safe around Benner.

Like many inexpensive blades the Olympia Edge multitool has a pretty good tool load out, and I will admit some of the styling is actually pretty neat looking.  How well they hold up to actual, regular use is another matter entirely, but for now I am appreciating the aesthetics that went into this tool- hopefully since they put thought into how it looks they will have also thought about how it works too.

I have to admit though, the package opener/bottle opener combo is one I haven't seen before and shows more imagination than just ripping off the Victorinox style bottle opener/screwdriver like so many others do.

It's been a while since I looked so forward to testing out a cheapo tool, but this one has some potential!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Olympia Edge multitool
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 07:29:18 PM
That one actually looks pretty good Grant  :tu: looks like something a Terminator would carry  :D

us Offline ace19636

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:37:00 AM
I LOVE that bottle opener/package opener design!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:50:15 AM
Looks like it might have some potential. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 01:56:49 AM
That one is definitely one of the better looking knockoffs I've seen.  I like the serrated blade and package opener.

Offline mikekoz

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 03:28:18 AM
I like the looks at least! Do the tools lock?

us Offline BASguy

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 03:53:51 AM

That one is definitely one of the better looking knockoffs I've seen.  I like the serrated blade and package opener.
Why does it have to be a "knockoff"?  Knockoff of what? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:41:21 AM

Why does it have to be a "knockoff"?  Knockoff of what? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a no name cheapo, which is synonymous for knockoff in the MT world.  The pliers look very much like Skeletool pliers both in shape and appearance.  The PE knife blade and drivers are reminiscent of Gerber tools.  It's just a cheapo, that's all I was saying. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 12:14:12 PM
I think when folks thing "knockoff" it generally refers to fakes or copies.  Not a big deal really, as to many, all plier based multitools are Leatherman knockoffs!  :D

Yeah it certainly looks pretty cool.  We'll see soon whether it's good or just looks that way.  :D

I like the looks at least! Do the tools lock?

They do not, but at least from the get go the backsprings are extremely stiff and hold the implements quite well.  Time will tell if they stay that way.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 01:08:58 PM
Not all cheapos are junk. I have found this tool and a few others to be rather well made overall. One thing that does need to be mentioned here, this tool has a lot of weight to it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 01:21:03 PM
It certainly isn't the kind of tool you forget you have with you, that's for sure.

Def

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 03:00:40 PM

You say that now but when you cut yourself up 8 beers deep you'll be singing if a different tune.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 07:48:22 PM
Good thing alcohol doesn't come in clam packs!

Def

Offline mikekoz

Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 04:59:38 AM
Not all cheapos are junk. I have found this tool and a few others to be rather well made overall. One thing that does need to be mentioned here, this tool has a lot of weight to it.

I do not care if the tool is heavy. I actually prefer larger, overbuilt multitools. This is one that may need to be added to my collection!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 01:36:16 PM
In that case, then you will want to look at the other tools from this company...as they are all of similar build.

Olympia doesn't make these, but some other company does. I do recall a thread about them, and my submission of a few photos...but I can't find the older thread about them.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 09:27:44 PM
You are correct, I'm sure Olympia Edge is just a marketing or distribution company that just purchases tools in bulk from a manufacturer.  Seems there's a lot of that going around these days. 

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 09:41:43 PM
In that case, then you will want to look at the other tools from this company...as they are all of similar build.

Olympia doesn't make these, but some other company does. I do recall a thread about them, and my submission of a few photos...but I can't find the older thread about them.

Here you go.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56586.msg1012915.html#msg1012915

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 04:50:52 AM
Your search Fu is strong. Thank you.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 03:43:33 PM
It looks like a fairly nice tool, just judging from the pictures. Only thing I dislike is a pretty common issue on these cheaper tools IMO - the saw and blades are short relative to the overall size of the tool. Obviously with saws, the longer the better.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

Offline mikekoz

Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 02:13:36 AM

Here you go.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56586.msg1012915.html#msg1012915

Thank you! I am actually considering this one made by the same company!

http://www.amazon.com/Kilimanjaro-910056-Magnus-Multi-Black/dp/B00TESAZ0O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1432685526&sr=8-4&keywords=kilimanjaro+multitool

Offline mikekoz

Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:53 PM
   I saw one of these at Autozone last weekend under the Snap-on brand name. I may actually pick it up and give it a look!!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 06:30:23 PM
I picked this one up for (I think) $25 at a local hunting and fishing shop, and as far as cheapos go, it's not too bad.  Certainly not as bad as some I have seen, although I wouldn't trade a SwissTool for it!

(Image removed from quote.)

For $25 you get what I always refer to as a "sock" style sheath- that is the sheath looks and feels like it is made from an old sock that is sort of worn, but a special kind of floppy.

Still, it holds the tool, which is really what you want in a sheath, so while it doesn't seem like it is going to be a huge prize winner, it is at least functional.

As with many cheapos there really aren't any markings on the outside, as if the company that made it doesn't want to take credit for it.  Still, at least out of the package it feels solid enough, and frankly I'd have a hard time deciding between this and the Leatherman Rev.   ::)

Opening the blade shows you that the company actually did put their name on it, and an adorable little polar bear, so long time members will know this particular unit isn't safe around Benner.

Like many inexpensive blades the Olympia Edge multitool has a pretty good tool load out, and I will admit some of the styling is actually pretty neat looking.  How well they hold up to actual, regular use is another matter entirely, but for now I am appreciating the aesthetics that went into this tool- hopefully since they put thought into how it looks they will have also thought about how it works too.

I have to admit though, the package opener/bottle opener combo is one I haven't seen before and shows more imagination than just ripping off the Victorinox style bottle opener/screwdriver like so many others do.

It's been a while since I looked so forward to testing out a cheapo tool, but this one has some potential!

Def

:tu:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 03:57:11 AM
   I picked up the Snap-on version of this today, and even though I have not used it, my initial impressions are positive! First of all, the sheath that came with mine looks a lot better than the Olympia version of it. It is stiff with a button snap and seems pretty well made. The knives on the tool were sharp, and unlike most other budget multitools I buy, the drivers are not over polished and slick. I wish the tools locked, but they seem to snap in place very well. Overall, I think it was $25.00 well spent.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 11:32:07 AM
Very cool.  Nice to hear the sheath has been improved on.  My feeling is that a tool is only as good as it's sheath so that is a vast improvement.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%