Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Switchplier - New vs Old

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Switchplier - New vs Old
Reply #30 on: July 27, 2015, 02:13:42 PM
Nice work, fiddy!  Great that you've been able to get the scissors in and I like the tool set you've chosen.  Shame about the spring popping out - didn't do that to me but always looked like it might.  I felt it was a good tool - particularly the size, ease of accessing the pliers and the clip - but the access to the internal tools was difficult and the wire cutters were poor.  Great to see something different to the butterfly style folding pliers that's so common too.

Cheers mate  :tu:

With the original configuration, the Phillips was below the plier head, which meant the pliers needed to be deployed to get that tool out. As the tool relies on clumping to bring out adjacent tools, there was a battle of friction between the outer tools you were lifting out, and the innermost tools restricted by the pliers.

With the four tool configuration I've got in at the moment, the bit driver passes the stowed pliers freely. This means the clumping actually works to bring tools out rather than keep them in. It does however mean you have to carry the small adaptor part and selection of bits as well as the tool itself, however I don't consider that a huge obstacle to anyone wanting to have a very ergonomic tool with excellent (and customisable) set of drivers. It also would work well for someone who uses hex or torx drives frequently with the right accompanying bits.

I haven't actually used the wire cutters myself, but now I know I'm not taking them on their maiden voyage, I might try them out  ;) What was the issue with them? Is stranded wire their kryptonite?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #31 on: July 27, 2015, 02:41:48 PM
Yeah, took a couple of bites to get through some 0.75mm² stranded copper wire.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:53:16 PM by hiraethus »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #32 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:50 PM
Nice review. I have one on its way to me sometime hopefully this summer. I will inspect mine if and when I get it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #33 on: July 27, 2015, 03:58:19 PM
Great review 50ft, actually made finally pull the trigger on this one :D

Now it means I'll be biting nails for some 3+ weeks waiting for it to arrive :wait:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 04:58:07 PM
Thanks guys  :cheers:

My overall thoughts are that potentially this could be one of the best pocket sized tools available. It is customisable, easily carried, and quite capable. However, whilst the pliers are more trustworthy this time round, I still don't think it's perfect.

I prefer the lines, ergonomics, and lock of the original version. I also feel the implements are not of the same calibre as the much older made in USA ones (particularly the file). There is also of course the issue of the escaping spring, and one time will tell how common this is.

If a hybrid was built on the original frame (but keeping the pocket clip from the new model), with the original (quality) tools, but with the newer plier head with the escaping spring issue resolved, this would be a tool with few real competitors. Set up with custom loadouts to suit the individual user, knifeless where applicable, this tool could be a real market dominator.

Lets hope SOG aims to tackle more of their quality demons, and can start to regain/restore their reputation. If you're reading this SOG, you might need to bring production back in house to achieve this, even if it's only as a "Pro User" line to differentiate the costs from the low cost offerings currently being sourced.

Verdict: Much improved though could certainly be refined further, and possibly SOG's best current multitool offering.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 04:59:27 PM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 05:45:52 PM
I can't wait to get one of my own. Especially after seeing this and the several other awesome photo reports here at MTO. I really hope SOG release the "more tools" version Switchplier 2.0 that you can find prototype pictures of occasionally online.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 06:07:36 PM
I can't wait to get one of my own. Especially after seeing this and the several other awesome photo reports here at MTO. I really hope SOG release the "more tools" version Switchplier 2.0 that you can find prototype pictures of occasionally online.

Got any links mate?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: July 27, 2015, 07:32:46 PM
Wow that was the quickest shipping i have ever seen. It arrived today, and I am just looking at it right now.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: July 27, 2015, 07:57:21 PM
Nice one Dan  :tu:

It would be interesting to hear if your thoughts echo mine  :)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #39 on: July 27, 2015, 08:25:23 PM
Thanks for taking your time to write this up, very informative :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 08:51:54 PM

Quite welcome, and thanks for the comment  :salute:

Are you still using yours, and are you going to put the scissors in?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #41 on: July 27, 2015, 09:00:51 PM
I will wait for v3.0 .......
 :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: July 27, 2015, 09:10:10 PM

If the current progression will be followed, it will be made on Mars, the pliers will be the size of the SOG Blacktip and capable of cropping tent pegs and crimping car battery terminals, but will also be fired across the room on the 20th use. When buying it you will have to get "SOG" tatooed on your arm due to limitations of how many times they can get their name on the thing, and the internal tools will be made from cardboard. Carry options will include a pocket clip, lanyard, sheath, and Nepalese Sherpa. Initial sales pitch will suggest it has a 180hp petrol engine and lightsabre, but this will turn out to be incorrect. Chako will buy one of each variation. I will find good and bad things to say about it, and the thread will get less comments than I anticipated  :P

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 27, 2015, 09:15:54 PM

If the current progression will be followed, it will be made on Mars, the pliers will be the size of the SOG Blacktip and capable of cropping tent pegs and crimping car battery terminals, but will also be fired across the room on the 20th use. When buying it you will have to get "SOG" tatooed on your arm due to limitations of how many times they can get their name on the thing, and the internal tools will be made from cardboard. Carry options will include a pocket clip, lanyard, sheath, and Nepalese Sherpa. Initial sales pitch will suggest it has a 180hp petrol engine and lightsabre, but this will turn out to be incorrect. Chako will buy one of each variation. I will find good and bad things to say about it, and the thread will get less comments than I anticipated 
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 27, 2015, 09:16:40 PM

Got any links mate?

Sure thing! Check it out:

http://mygunculture.com/two-handy-tools-from-sog/

See the comments beneath the article. That's me questioning the author on where the image of the tool came from.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 09:23:32 PM

Got any links mate?

See the comments beneath the article. That's me questioning the author on where the image of the tool came from.

Wow!  :o Not seen that before.

I can say without reservation that such a tool will ruin much of what is so good about the Switchplier. The scissors will be more awkward to use, and in screwdriver, saw, or file mode, the tool will feel less ergonomic. It's the single tool load, teardrop shape, and centralising nature of the current format that really makes this tool feel good in use. If you are tempted to wait for this totally cocked up version, I would advise against it. I would advise instead that you go for the current model and carry a SAK too. Balance the tools you need between the two items, and you'll find them both a lot better to use than the two tiered version  :salute:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 09:27:28 PM
Gotta say this is one of the rare times I'm going to disagree with Al on the subject of a Multitool. I got to have a play with the Switchplier at the Meet,and I've got to say I wasn't impressed by it.

My honest feeling it was designed to be cool first and useful later. I'll be happy to be proven wrong,but for SOGs,I'll stick to Paratools and PPPs!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 09:34:31 PM
Gotta say this is one of the rare times I'm going to disagree with Al on the subject of a Multitool. I got to have a play with the Switchplier at the Meet,and I've got to say I wasn't impressed by it.

My honest feeling it was designed to be cool first and useful later. I'll be happy to be proven wrong,but for SOGs,I'll stick to Paratools and PPPs!

Need you to expand on that John  :pok:

Which positive elements I've said do you disagree with mate, or what particularly turned you off about the tool? As you know I had a PT510 which I really liked (before it got lost/stolen), but I've never really connected with the floppy headed Paratool. Despite my former affection for the missing PT510, I also think that when not in pliers mode, the Switchplier is a much better "handle" for the internal tools

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: July 27, 2015, 09:37:52 PM

Which positive elements I've said do you disagree with mate, or what particularly turned you off about the tool? As you know I had a PT510 which I really liked (before it got lost/stolen), but I've never really connected with the floppy headed Paratool. Despite my former affection for the missing PT510, I also think that when not in pliers mode, the Switchplier is a much better "handle" for the internal tools

Al,I just didn't like it. It's a pain to get to the tools,I really don't like the style of flicky plier. It kind of made me think of the Recoil. Made because it could be made,not because it offered any real progress.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: July 27, 2015, 09:38:49 PM
I have given it some thought, and fondled both the old and new...and here are my first opinions.

1. I still prefer the older one for several reasons - lighter, shorter, and the mechanism appears to be better overall.
2. Why is there so much design fluff at the pliers joint on the new? Why does it stick out so far past the pliers, and why did they decide to make it look like it is a gear? At least the decorative part won't get hung up in much. The meat of the tool is essentially identical or very close to the length of the older tool however.
3. The older mechanism is so fluid and smooth. The newer one is rather gritty. This may get better with age and usage. Just that the old one has that nice fondling feeling that the new one lacks.
4. Speaking of the pliers, why is the new one so much harder to close back compared to the older one. The new one requires not only a lot more force, but more directed force. Hard to explain, but if you have both, then you will know what I mean.
5. Piano locking tabs on the new not as good as a simple single locking mechanism found on the older. Personal opinion because I find the single a lot easier to use than the piano.
6. They managed to cram an extra tool in the newer design...at the cost of having all tools open up without having to deploy the pliers. I have found that the awl and bottle opener/flat driver combo blade hang up on the pliers. The older one didn't have such issues.
7. Pocket clip on the new on is a good feature.
8. I have flicked open and closed the pliers on the new version at least 60 or so times and haven't seen any lateral movement on that spring. Still seems to be an issue as yours is exhibiting problems. It does appear to be a weak spot in the design. On the good side, mine appears to be holding up.
9. I am surprised they didn't manage to label SOG on the underside of the tool. The old one wins bonus points for having a streamlined appearance free from the excessive SOG labeling. I don' t mind some branding, but on every side that usually matters?
10. Bonus points to SOG in bringing out a version 2. It is such a unique design, that I feel it was long overdue.  :tu:
11. Tension on the handle is better on the new version...but my old version isn't very loose, and I have to wonder if the newer version will age as well over time.

So there you have it. Oh, and the photos.  :facepalm:

EDIT: Version 2 looks good in the collection.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:05:13 PM by Chako »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:40 PM

Got any links mate?

I can say without reservation that such a tool will ruin much of what is so good about the Switchplier. The scissors will be more awkward to use, and in screwdriver, saw, or file mode, the tool will feel less ergonomic. It's the single tool load, teardrop shape, and centralising nature of the current format that really makes this tool feel good in use. If you are tempted to wait for this totally cocked up version, I would advise against it. I would advise instead that you go for the current model and carry a SAK too. Balance the tools you need between the two items, and you'll find them both a lot better to use than the two tiered version  :salute:

I agree to a certain extent. With the extra tool handle, it takes it from pocketable tool to more of a heavy-duty tool, at least dimensionally if not otherwise. The ergonomics would be shot, BUT the user would gain the full compliment of implements, instead of having to pick and choose.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 10:31:21 PM

Al,I just didn't like it. It's a pain to get to the tools,I really don't like the style of flicky plier. It kind of made me think of the Recoil. Made because it could be made,not because it offered any real progress.

Fair play John :tu: I must admit I don't find it more gadgetty than the flicky pliers on a MP400 for example, but the action might take a bit of getting used to, a bit like the "nodding" scissors and pliers on a Wenger 85mm SAK.

I think I'm biased because I kind of fell in love with the ergonomics of the original in non-plier mode, so that might be colouring my judgement slightly. Had I not already taken a liking to the refined, sleek, "grown up" version, I might not have received the techno, steampunk, "Iron Man obsessed teenager" version as warmly  :D The pliers getting in the way of the tool on the standard load out is a bit of a faff too  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 10:33:23 PM
Chako, I'd pretty much agree with your comments and it's good to hear the spring in secure on yours  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 10:37:18 PM
I agree to a certain extent. With the extra tool handle, it takes it from pocketable tool to more of a heavy-duty tool, at least dimensionally if not otherwise. The ergonomics would be shot, BUT the user would gain the full compliment of implements, instead of having to pick and choose.

I do take your point, but I still think pairing this version with a SAK would fell better to me. The Vic tool also perform better than some of the SOG ones too  :)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 11:02:43 PM

Quite welcome, and thanks for the comment  :salute:

Are you still using yours, and are you going to put the scissors in?
So far no such plan, as I don't carry it.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 28, 2015, 03:20:57 AM
This is a very insightful thread 50ft, and I have enjoyed the comparisons (never owning or knowing of an original) So a few nickels from the "new" generation:

I very much like the design and would not get the "more tools version". It is one of the most comfortable tool to use in non-plier mode. I agree with chako there is a bit of fluff on the cosmetic side, but I don't mind it as long as the tool still works. My comparison of that would be the leatherman crater c33 series compared with the c304-c305. They are both functional but the c304-305 gives you a bit more to look at....but back to the point  :twak: the tool works well. and because of the light-medium duty plier strength I think the number of tools that compliment them are very balanced. I do plan on buying scissors and using the same setup in the other thread: scissors, blade, can opener, bottle opener, and phillips.

For me this is a very good, weekend carry tool, that covers the basics of what I need in a very small package. If I need more than that or stronger pliers I would be going for my spirit or rebar, or if I want to go lighter then I would go for the compact or dime. So great review guys. Just wanted to throw in a different perspective. btw i did check the spring on mine and it is some gap but so far no issues with the spring jumping out. But I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:22:33 AM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: July 28, 2015, 11:42:12 AM

Got any links mate?

Yes you have...

:think:

Shopped, or something SOG considered/is considering for the future?

Totally shopped

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:04 PM
I don't remember that at all :think: I might have been drunk  :P

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 20, 2015, 05:34:58 PM
Following a successful trade deal, the new Switchplier is now mine :nanadance: so I'll be having a go at addressing the "Houdini spring" issue, and actually putting it into active service/daily carry rotation.

I think a simple Vic Tourist might be a nice companion tool for it  :) I just need to consider a practical way of carrying the supporting bit set for it  :think:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: November 14, 2015, 06:34:44 PM
Just a little update to this thread:

I think (hope) I've now fixed the escaping spring issue. I made it pop out as detailed before, and bent it right over towards the centre of the tool with a pair of pliers, and coaxed it back into the slot with a small screwdriver. Hopefully this has cured the problem, and hopefully I've not weakened the spring. I should be able to let this into the rotation now, and see if it proves itself as a capable/reliable tool. I just need to consider what to pair it with

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD