Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...

Chako · 1171 · 31308

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...
on: July 28, 2015, 10:04:40 PM
It might be interesting to see what we have collectively, and also to talk about motorcycles etc.

So I am going to start this thread about my experience with motorcycles.

I have always wanted to drive a motorcycle. It was always on my bucket list. However, my parents were not all that keen. So when my father passed away, I not only joined this forum as a way of self therapy, I decided now was the time to also get into motorcycling.

I took a safety motorcycling course at the local College. To induce me to go through with it, I bought a lovely used Triumph America. It was a great first starter motorcycle. I loved that motorbike.

Here she is in my garage back in 2009 I think.

We got along nicely for a full year and a half until I got run off the road by a guy who probably never saw me as his eyes were glued on the oncoming ambulance. Best part of that, it was a hit and run...meaning I had to pay the deductible even though I wasn't at fault. Worst part of this, I was more bummed about my motorcycle than I was about myself. After spending 3 days in the Hospital with 4 broken ribs, and two very road rash knees, I was sent home. I was off work for around 6 very long weeks. During that time I had to buy another motorcycle otherwise, I would live in fear...and that is no way to live. I bought a 2009 V-Star 1100 Classic in 2010. If I thought the Triumph was the best for me, the 1100 Classic only taught me better. The motorcycle is larger, which fit my frame a lot better than the cramped America.

In the years since, I have added much to my motorcycle to make it fit me better, and to fit my needs. I started off by ordering hard bags from Hong Kong online. Then I added a bat-wing fairing/windshield, a GPS unit, better grips, passing lights, an oil filter movement kit, a Mustang seat with back rest, new upgraded cables, handlebar riser, a stage 1 upgrade with increased air intake, and new Cobra 2 into 1 muffler system, and a few other things. I am at the point where it is exactly what I wanted.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:06:12 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Re: Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:08:31 PM
Great thread idea, Chako!  I don't have much to contribute to this one, anymore, but in college (6-7 years ago) I had a little Ninja 250.  Little, but it had some zip to it, and it was a LOT of fun.  Only laid it down once, and I was only doing 30mph or so, so no real damage to speak of (to me or the bike really).
I sold it after about 3 years, to pay for an engagement ring...still hoping to get another bike someday (I kept a helmet and jacket), maybe after I stop buying diapers :)  Until then, I'll just look at everyone else's pictures.
1927688_508325190702_7958_n.jpg
* 1927688_508325190702_7958_n.jpg (Filesize: 56.09 KB)

us Offline Nano-Oil.com

Re: What's your EDC ?
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:58:19 AM
Raw Oysters thanks to Mister Wave Leatherman

I am leaving this morning for Las Vegas where I am going to Bellagio Cirque du Soleil show O to install 2 more of my gas delivery systems for the aquatic part of it,
And then I will disappear, bumming around  where ever the wind and inspiration will take push me for about 15 days,
If you wish to follow my peripecies,
Send a "friends Request"
 to Christian StClaire Facebook, same picture as this forum.
you all have a great upcoming weekend.
If you want to follow my Trek and see my new electric bike Vectrix 70mph freeway .
https://m.facebook.com/Christian.StClaire

from my Samsung Mega using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:07:38 AM by Nano-Oil.com »

us Offline Nano-Oil.com

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:10:08 AM
Raw Oysters thanks to Mister Wave Leatherman
(Image removed from quote.)

Chako, I do not know what happened but when I tried to post a very descriptive post of all my bike , TapaTalk tried to insert a draft that I saved to finish on what have you used your Leatherman for today, hence the Oysters, allow some time to figure this out, I hope my original to you did not vanish.

I am leaving this morning for Las Vegas where I am going to Bellagio Cirque du Soleil show O to install 2 more of my gas delivery systems for the aquatic part of it,
And then I will disappear, bumming around  where ever the wind and inspiration will take push me for about 15 days,
If you wish to follow my peripecies,
Send a "friends Request"
 to Christian StClaire Facebook, same picture as this forum.
you all have a great upcoming weekend.
If you want to follow my Trek and see my new electric bike Vectrix 70mph freeway
https://m.facebook.com/Christian.StClaire
(Image removed from quote.)

from my Samsung Mega using Tapatalk

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:16:48 AM by Nano-Oil.com »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:28:52 AM
That is one large electric scooter.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:31:47 AM
Wow Chako, she's a beauty! It's always been a dream of mine to have a bike, I came very close to buying one too, but things went down hill, now it's on my bucket list to just get taken on a ride of a bike, it's something I've never done. When I was much younger my father had a Vespa and I used to stand on the deck while going for a spin, but we're talking 30yrs ago, and it's just not a bike. Oh and you did say scooter, in which I did get my first, grant it, it's only a kick, but hey you did say anything! lol
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 07:33:26 AM

Its a cycle, and it has a motor :rofl:
24V front wheel drive :rofl:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 07:40:28 AM
Ooh Grathr that's classy, I never had anything that assisted, that must be nice!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:46:00 AM

Ooh Grathr that's classy, I never had anything that assisted, that must be nice!
JR

Its great! The steep hills just fly by :)

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 07:51:50 AM

JR

Its great! The steep hills just fly by :)

Oh man, so not fair! I had a LOT of hills back in my day and the only power was leg power, and from all that pushing I used to be able to leg press 415lbs.. Why can't I ever get anything easy?
JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 02:17:12 PM
Yes all fit into the category. Nice peddle scooter. I never had one as a kid. I did have a Big Wheel and we would get into a Big Wheel v.s. Green Machine standoff with a bunch of neibourhood kids. Weirdest thing, but we would race each other and try to say ours was better then theirs. The absurdity of youth. :)

Now that assisted bicycle is very nice.  :drool:

As an aside, I was out on my motorcycle yesterday and stopped in a small town for a meal. In the restaurant, I overheard a couple talking about their trans-Canada bicycle tour. Then the next booth over, a German citizen spoke that he was also on such a  tour, but his is a North American tour with frequent forays into the United States. It was an interesting conversation but one I would rather not participate in as I am in no shape to peddle across a continent.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:19:56 PM by Chako »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:29:14 PM
I also had a bike during my college years, Honda CBR600.  It was a great bike and a lot of fun to ride.  I had an accident several years later that shook me pretty good and haven't been on a bike since.  I still suffer nerve damage as a result and am thankful to have survived without more lasting injuries. 

I have debated back a forth about a bike over the years since but I haven't made a decision either way.
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 04:56:40 PM
I stopped 20 years ago, when i´ve met my wife. She was afraid about my driving style - and loving her more than my bike ..... it was a easy decision.  :D

Driving school i had on a Honda VT-600C Shadow.

My first was a Suzuki GS500E, then a Suzuki GSX600F. After that a Honda VT-600C Shadow. Then the Suzuki RGV 250, but i realized that it made me drive in a way that will kill me soon, so i changed to a Suzuki GSX750R.

That was the last one, the one i sold and used the money to buy some furniture when moving with my beloved into our first home together.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 05:09:22 PM
In what way is a GSXR750 promoting a betterdrivestyle than an RGV250? I´m sure I´d kill myself on both rather quickly...

Right now I own an old Yamaha XJ600 (from `87), in the US also known as FJ600 AFAIK.

Nothing special, but cheap and relaiable. I removed the rack eith the cases and reattached the bellypan.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 09:13:35 PM
In what way is a GSXR750 promoting a betterdrivestyle than an RGV250? I´m sure I´d kill myself on both rather quickly...

Right now I own an old Yamaha XJ600 (from `87), in the US also known as FJ600 AFAIK.

Nothing special, but cheap and relaiable. I removed the rack eith the cases and reattached the bellypan.

8)

Nice bike looks like a great commuter.
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 09:42:34 PM
As I am a lucky smurf working right around the corner from my home, this is my commuter:

But Aloha, you are right, it´s a great UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), although I´d like to have less cylinders and less fairing if I was to choose freeely.
babboe_3.jpg
* babboe_3.jpg (Filesize: 139.21 KB)

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 10:48:59 PM
In what way is a GSXR750 promoting a betterdrivestyle than an RGV250?

The bigger may be faster over all, but the small one is way more agile, which leads (at least me) to a much more "active" drivestyle.

With most of my bikes i used to drive to risky (Startbutton started the engine, and shut off the brain at the same time - for example i bought the chopper to calm down, but found myself hanging on it´s side in corners and selling it with grinded halfdown footrests). But on the RGV i went totally nuts, even my fuelhead friends told me to sell it before i die.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:45 AM
As I am a lucky smurf working right around the corner from my home, this is my commuter:

But Aloha, you are right, it´s a great UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle), although I´d like to have less cylinders and less fairing if I was to choose freeely.

Cool bike  :think:.  What the heck is it?  I had wanted a Honda CB400F for so long but couldn't find one I really liked in decent shape or priced right. 

Esse Quam Videri

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:12 AM
Yamaha XJ600 Type 51J, 600cc inline four, reduced to 50hp, but I have already got the parts to gain back the missing 23 horses.
Universal Japanese Motorcycle refers to the simple bikes of the 70s and 80s that were just Motorcycles, not marketed as a niche product and that would basically do most jobs ok while not shining at one special task.

I have owned and ridden a wide variety of bikes, I think this is quite a complete list:

Yamaha XZ 550
Yamaha XS 1100
Yamaha XS 400 dohc
Kawasaki Zephyr 750
Suzuki DR 500
Kawasaki GPz 550
Kawasaki GPZ 500 S
Kawasaki Z 750
Yamaha Virago 535
Kawasaki Z440/H/LTD - dabout 10 of those
Suzuki GS 500E, still under construction

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 05:08:45 PM
Sorry I meant the bicycle with the bathtub attached?   :whistle:

You've had quite a lot of motorcycles, I started with Mopeds then dirt bikes Yamaha RM80/125, Honda XJ550, Vespa P200, Honda CBR600.
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 07:17:34 PM
I had a Vespa PX 80 myself and somewhere along the way a Honda MB-5, too.

The Bicycle is a Pedelec made by Babboe, which will help you pedal up to 25 kmh and it´s my official business vehicle my Boss bought for my. I work as a Janitor in different buildings and carry whatever is  needed with the bike - I may use it in private, too so we can do teh grocery shopping, drive our son to teh grandparents or do a family trip on the weekends. I like it really well as a commuting/city vehicle.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 08:42:33 PM
And i´m pretty sure it´s a good conversation thing by itself, as it´s so unusual.  :D

At work we use those oldschool transport bikes with a platform over the frontwheel to get material from other corners of the company (way to large to walk).

(not the same bike, just to show the type)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 08:48:50 PM
Well both transport bicycles are neat, they make sense too.
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 04:45:54 AM
Did somebody say....motorcycles?
BikesNet1.jpg
* BikesNet1.jpg (Filesize: 155.22 KB)
BikesNet2.jpg
* BikesNet2.jpg (Filesize: 139.33 KB)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 09:28:01 AM
Yes, Lichtbote, the bike is a conversation starter for sure. That was one Aspect I used to convince my Boss I should have one.  :D Free advertising and a more productive employee! At 1/10th the cost of a Car. We as a company try to act environmentally friendly, we are replacing the small Skodas my colleagues drive with electrical cars (VW e-up) driving with "green" power and using solar energy for heating/warm tap water and wood pellet/wood chip heating in our buildings, renovating buildings wherever possible instead of building new and so on, so a pedal/electric vehicle does not only fit my transportion needs but it fits the corporates image well, too.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 02:17:41 PM
Good on them! I wish all companies were that progressive :)

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 06:21:14 PM
Omg, how about trikes? I got a little story that will get you laughing!! lol

A very long time ago, my cousin and our girlfriends(now wife's) were up on a farm riding around and the girls were hanging on the back, my cousin hit a bump and it threw her off the back, we almost ran her over, funny part is he just kept going,, lol. But that's not the funny part, we got into a large open field and the girls wanted to ride by themselves as we took a break. Now comes the funny part,, my wife is a bookie a total nerd! She's never even road a bike, so I showed her the basics and she took off! So she's riding around in the open field and then takes a sudden turn, and I mean sharp! Let's not forget it's a trike! So now she's on two wheels, I went to run after her cause she's screaming, my cousin slaps me in the chest, and says she's fine, she just showing off, I'm like no, she's in trouble! After about 45sec she drops it back down on all three wheels and slowly rides it back to us. She gets off and walks over and slaps me in the face! She starts yelling at me asking why wouldn't you come help, I was screaming? I said I know and he wouldn't let me! Smack, she slapped him in the face, and he then said I thought you were showing off, then finally the other rides in asking what's going on? Needless to say I don't think my wife has ever gotten on after that, unless I drove, lol!
JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 01:39:44 AM
It is that time of year again at least for the Western/Northern Hemisphere.

Yes, I do need to clean up the garage a little.

Did the annual ritual of moving the snow throwers to the back and the bike to the front.

I use the cardboard boxes as a safety for winter storage. I figure if somehow the motorcycle is pushed over, it will be cushioned by those boxes.

The original V-Star 1100 Classic only came with the main headlamp and signal lights. I added the passing lamps as well as lamp shades to the mix. At night, those extra passing lamps throw a lot of nice extra light. Well worth the price.

Here is my throttle. Kuryakin ISO grips for comfort along with a throttle Boss. I also added a mechanical cruise control, and Kuryakin stiletto end caps.

The one thing I wish this motorcycle had was a fuel gauge. However, there is something to be said about keeping things simple.

Along with the Memphis Shades batwing fairing, I also added a nice Mustang seat with backrest. I once almost flew off the end of my motorcycle using the stock seat. The back rest not only adds comfort but also keeps you in the saddle.

The first thing I added were these hard saddle bags with all the chrome trimmings. Surprisingly roomy and they keep everything dry and secure.

I disliked the idiot stickers the manufacture saw fit to emblazon the middle of the upper tank. I couldn't peel them off without damaging the paint...so a tank bib was needed. I found one that went along with the Yamaha Star motif. That pocket has come in handy from time to time. Now I don't have to look at those gawd-awful stickers.

The gas tank emblem.

I added a few more chrome parts just for the hell of it..

:tu:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:46:09 AM by Chako »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 02:16:04 AM
Nice looking bike!

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 03:06:03 AM
I rode this old PX150 Vespa for a bit over ten years and 22,000 miles.

In 2013 it got replaced by a new Vespa LX150.

But I still like to use the 2007 GT200 now and then.

Local scoot hangut. We call ourselves "The Scooter Trash."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 03:17:40 AM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%