Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit Plier Gripping Force & Serrated knife?

sg Offline Dr Hunt

I'm have read much good words about the Spirit and is considering to the Spirit I (with serrated knife, no scissors), along with the SOG Powerlock and Paratool.

Need some help from you guys to decide whether to get the Spirit I. Questions on the Vic below:

1) Does the plier have same maximum gripping force as SOG Powerlock?

2) How much hand effort/pain required for the same amount of gripping force as the SOG Powerlock? (I'm assuming the handles are different in ergonomics).

2) Anyone know if the serrated blade is decent for cutting sheet material? The MT will be paired with Vic Huntsman, so scissors on MT is not compulsory.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Swisstool Spirit Plier Gripping Force & Serrated knife?
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:32 PM
Not sure what you mean by sheet material. Ripstop nylon? Cotton sheets? Plywood? Plasterboard?

As to gripping force comparisons with the SOG's, the Spirit doesn't have compound leverage like the SOG does. However, the compound leverage also means that the handles open twice as wide, which means your grip becomes less efficient, thus rendering the compound leverage poinless beyond a certain point (depending on your hands and the size of the item you are gripping). What the Spirit DOES have is excellent ergonomics which keeps your grip efficient. The short answer is that it is very subjective depending on the users grip, and the task at hand.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:50:13 PM
Not sure what you mean by sheet material. Ripstop nylon? Cotton sheets? Plywood? Plasterboard?
Yeah, this ^ is a critical detail.

However, the compound leverage also means that the handles open twice half as wide (on the SOG)
Correction in bold

which means your grip becomes less efficient, thus rendering the compound leverage pointless beyond a certain point (depending on your hands and the size of the item you are gripping).
Yes, to grip thin items harder, like sheet metal, the SOG will be the clear winner. But then if you need to grip something thicker, the SOG might fail to open far enough. Tough call!

What the Spirit DOES have is excellent ergonomics which keeps your grip efficient. The short answer is that it is very subjective depending on the users grip, and the task at hand.
This part seems is unanimous, among Spirit owners.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 05:58:50 PM
For gripping I always use my Spirits.
The pliers head is just made for gripping (great shape, great teeth, great grip)
The handles are extremely comfortable

You might wanna look at this post.

P.S.: SOG wise I only own the PPP and the CrossGrip, used to have a PA
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 06:00:12 PM
However, the compound leverage also means that the handles open twice half as wide (on the SOG)
Correction in bold
Nope, that was correct the handles need to open twice as wide
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:00:17 PM
I would like to also point out that optional SOG scissors are not very good compared to the Spirits'.

TBH, if I had to choose right now between a Spirit and PL, I'd have to go with the Powerlock as I like its pliers the best. Other drivers and implements are adequate IMO except for maybe the can opener.

The Powerlock's drivers and blades can be purchased and replaced.

...And I like the PL's Phillips better than the Spirit's.
SAW

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 03:40:41 AM
Yeah, this ^ is a critical detail.

Sorry I wasn't articulate about "sheet material", I actually refer to thin rigid materials or meat that will cut well with pull strokes of a serrated blade than a plain edge or saw. In short, whether the serrated blade is any good like the usual Vic tools, so I can decide to select the Spirit variant with serrated blade or scissors.

Correction in bold

I believe the SOG has to be open twice as wide as Spirit for the same grip width.

which means your grip becomes less efficient, thus rendering the compound leverage pointless beyond a certain point (depending on your hands and the size of the item you are gripping).
Yes, to grip thin items harder, like sheet metal, the SOG will be the clear winner. But then if you need to grip something thicker, the SOG might fail to open far enough. Tough call!

Yea, thanks to Etherealicer's advice to read 50ft-trad's post on comparing all the MT's plier and handle grip. SOG handles does look ridiculous for holding a small diameter lighter.

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 04:23:31 AM
I would like to also point out that optional SOG scissors are not very good compared to the Spirits'.

TBH, if I had to choose right now between a Spirit and PL, I'd have to go with the Powerlock as I like its pliers the best. Other drivers and implements are adequate IMO except for maybe the can opener.

The Powerlock's drivers and blades can be purchased and replaced.

...And I like the PL's Phillips better than the Spirit's.

PL long nose pliers will be more suitable for my intended use. I like the availability of SOG bits, though they seem slightly pricey and difficult to get from their site. I have read many complain about broken PL Philips though.

At the crossroads between getting either both SOG PL and Spirit or just the PL. Hmmm.....

us Offline sawman

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 05:27:05 PM
I bought my PL at Lowes for $54 of course I had a coupon but that beats the heck out of their online prices.
SAW

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:50:29 AM
I bought my PL at Lowes for $54 of course I had a coupon but that beats the heck out of their online prices.

Ordered one PL, 53usd and Paratool, 54usd on Amazon, now on its journey halfway around the globe.  :D 

us Offline sawman

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 02:52:00 AM

Ordered one PL, 53usd and Paratool, 54usd on Amazon, now on its journey halfway around the globe.  :D
You did good! I hope you receive everything soon :tu:
SAW

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 02:55:19 AM

You did good! I hope you receive everything soon :tu:

Thanks Saw. Hope the stuff comes in good condition. I need to find out what happened to the long overdue parcel of Spyderco folders that a friend sent from Canada.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD