Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The older you'll get... the more minimal the tool

windson · 105 · 9185

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: The older you'll get... the more minimal the tool
Reply #60 on: October 30, 2015, 08:27:19 PM
My most minimal is my farmer,thats my limit  ;)

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #61 on: October 30, 2015, 08:41:42 PM

Many people wouldn't call that "minimal." They call it optimal!  :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: October 30, 2015, 08:50:32 PM

Many people wouldn't call that "minimal." They call it optimal!  :cheers:

:D although still got my dime on my keychain  ::)

us Offline chivaceae

• 'ta bueno!
Reply #63 on: October 30, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
I can go both ways. I am so used to carrying my SwissChamp SAK on a sheath (daily for at least 10-15 years). Now I am trying to get used to carrying only a Farmer Alox, but in the company of an Atwood tool and small flashlight (AAA SS from CountyComm). I am almost done making a sheath to carry these three items at once. :D

Raul
Making-Sheath1.jpg
* Making-Sheath1.jpg (Filesize: 264.43 KB)
Making-Sheath2.jpg
* Making-Sheath2.jpg (Filesize: 253.63 KB)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #64 on: October 30, 2015, 09:57:42 PM
I can go both ways. I am so used to carrying my SwissChamp SAK on a sheath (daily for at least 10-15 years). Now I am trying to get used to carrying only a Farmer Alox, but in the company of an Atwood tool and small flashlight (AAA SS from CountyComm). I am almost done making a sheath to carry these three items at once. :D

Raul

Very nice leatherwork! :tu:

That will be a classy EDC setup.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #65 on: October 30, 2015, 10:46:09 PM
I think I've discussed before that while i have essentially never NEEDED more blade than is on a 58mm SAK, for some reason, I just don't have faith in them. And it's weird, because I don't get the same feeling of potential failure from a Micra or Crosscut blade, and there's essentially no difference in them.

I tried the 74mm Money Clip and it still didn't feel right.

So, for SAKs, the point of my minimum blade is the 84mm. Something like a Small Tinker is fine. Even the small blade.

As for NUMBER of tools. First, I'm right with KiwiMark. If I only had one other tool besides the blade, I'd go for a solid flathead, just to keep from having to pry with a blade. As I'm a fan of scissors over blade when possible, they are essentially mandatory. Now, unlike blades, scissors can be as small as those on a 58mm or Squirt, and that's fine. For me, obviously.

After blade, flathead and scissors, everything else is gravy. In general, since I have limited plier need, I've sort of settled on the Super Tinker or Explorer.

While I like minimalism, my eyes are going bad, and it's a lot less space to carry that extra layer on the Explorer than a pair of reading glasses for fine print. And I'm not GETTING bifocals, dammit!

I have an almost pathological NEED to micronize everything. Smaller = better. I decrease size/mass on some piece of gear, reduce my carry weight... and then proptly add some OTHER piece of gear to fill the space vacated.

So, I'm half way to the minimizing.  :facepalm:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: October 30, 2015, 11:03:51 PM
I think I've discussed before that while i have essentially never NEEDED more blade than is on a 58mm SAK, for some reason, I just don't have faith in them. And it's weird, because I don't get the same feeling of potential failure from a Micra or Crosscut blade, and there's essentially no difference in them.
The classic blade easily cuts open a can, it's thin profile actually works in its advantage, making it slice through the can easier than the Squirt blade... just saying, that blade can take a beating.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #67 on: October 30, 2015, 11:09:25 PM
Until my hands go too sore to use one, I think the humble Pioneer covers my most basic needs.

Maybe I was born old, I often feel like I did :D
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

Reply #68 on: October 30, 2015, 11:10:45 PM
The classic blade easily cuts open a can, it's thin profile actually works in its advantage, making it slice through the can easier than the Squirt blade... just saying, that blade can take a beating.

That's very true, actually :tu:

us Offline Joe58

Reply #69 on: October 31, 2015, 12:24:28 AM
I've been over playing in the traditional slippie neighborhood here lately, but I always still have my minichamp along. It's just a great little item to have with you and takes up so little space.. One of Vic's best models I think.

A two layer alox 93mm is my preference though for a larger SAK. I've found a single blade just too thin for me to hang onto very well.

There's usually a Swisstool in my truck as well to cover other needs should they pop up when I'm out and about.
🇨🇭

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #70 on: October 31, 2015, 12:29:27 AM
tools do tend to shrink as people get older....   :facepalm:

I frequently carry an XLT  to compensate because I want to!  Jokes aside, my arthritis is going to cause me to go bigger. Some days, an 84mm is hard to use. Planing to stock up on more OHO 111's and 130's for later.  :facepalm:

I know this might be sacrilege, but . . . . dare I say it? Might also be time to also try carrying something different that is big and easy to hold: a Leatherman Surge. (gasp!)

Please don't excommunicate me from any of the SAK threads for suggesting that :eek:

:D
Best suggestion that I have read on MT.O today.  :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 12:32:55 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #71 on: November 01, 2015, 12:13:31 PM
I really like the 58s, especially my Minichamp.  That blade is razor sharp and it's a wonderful EDC.
Barry

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: November 01, 2015, 02:00:44 PM
  I usually do just fine with a lonely blade. I think that is why the Solo and the Böker City 1 appeal to me so much.

Once I tried to write down all the times I actually needed a blade to prove I really didn't need much more then that, but more than often I carry because like and not because I need.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #73 on: November 01, 2015, 07:47:34 PM
I agree with that.
Barry

us Offline Flint Hills

Reply #74 on: November 01, 2015, 09:27:56 PM
This one would be pretty minimalist:

Offline Mattexian

Reply #75 on: November 01, 2015, 10:07:45 PM
You could probably minimize it by a third, just have the main blade and in line awl from an Alox.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #76 on: November 01, 2015, 10:39:03 PM
The older you'll get... the more minimal the tool

I have always believed this to be true.  With respect to firearms, for example, it seems that older guys who have carried for years and years tend to end up with something smallish like a S&W J-frame revolver.  Same with their knives and other carry items.  They (me) tend to figure out what works, and figure out also the horse hockey that doesn't really need to be carried. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #77 on: November 01, 2015, 11:08:56 PM
Exactly Powernoodle!  You can never go wrong with a J Frame.
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #78 on: November 01, 2015, 11:24:35 PM
Exactly Powernoodle!  You can never go wrong with a J Frame.

+1

Trail gear s1.jpg
* Trail gear s1.jpg (Filesize: 118.49 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #79 on: November 01, 2015, 11:48:24 PM
Great tread

It's refreshing to hear that other like minded folks ponder this age old question
"Am I prepared enough for today, Oh my, what if I need a ( fill in gap) "

Semper Paratus

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #80 on: November 02, 2015, 01:31:43 AM
I've gone the minimalist route lately.  Rambler, alox Bantam, Compact..... I've found it's not so much age as environment.  I live in one of NJ's largest cities.  Not much need for a saw or fish scaler here.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: November 03, 2015, 06:18:36 PM
I've gone the minimalist route lately.  Rambler, alox Bantam, Compact..... I've found it's not so much age as environment.  I live in one of NJ's largest cities.  Not much need for a saw or fish scaler here.....

This!!^^^

I've fund that most of all factors that have influenced me t cut back has been changing life style due to age and environment. Being a social security senior citizen means that I know I will never see true wilderness again. If I do, it will be from a tour bus filled with my fellow senior citizens. For better or worse, I'm a townie now. I've moved to Texas, and still plan to go to Big Bend country, Lost Maples state park and Garner state park, but my camping now is renting a small cabin. My needs now are met by any two layer SAK like a pioneer or recruit. I don't think I'd need a saw, but a can opener to heat some Chilli on a camp stove will be needed. A screw driver set that will handle flat and phillips is also nice to have in a suburban environment for small repairs. An awl has multiple uses.

I have an Uncle in a "assited living" home, a nicer name for a nursing home, and he uses his little 58mm SAK everyday for something. But he has little need for a large model. It's really all about environment. 

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:02:57 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #82 on: November 03, 2015, 06:57:41 PM
I can understand the trend towards minimization.  I started down the SAK road after many years because carrying my Charge TTi in my work slacks made my pockets extra bulky (I don't do sheaths).  I used to carry that and a Fisher space pen.  Both good tools, but now I have a 58mm Rally with a pen and carry a Cadet at work.  The tools I use most are the blade, flathead, phillips, tweezers, and pen so I will likely mod up a few Scientists to have on hand (preparing for old age with the magnifying glass).  Maybe some Pioneers with inline phillips instead of can openers.

Whatever the case, I can't see going beyond two layers.  A saw seems useful but I don't need it because the wood is either small enough to break or too large for a pocket saw.  I rarely run across a need for scissors a blade couldn't handle and never need an awl, although I have this inexplicable love for the one on the Pioneer.  The SAK pliers are not substantial enough for any meaningful work and I rarely have a call for a file.  The Cybertool bits are too non standard to make it worthwhile for carrying all the time.

Keep it simple.  Blade and drivers.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #83 on: November 03, 2015, 08:38:14 PM

Plus activity level, if you are a city dweller who also doesn't venture off the beaten path  nor have hobbies outside say dinner and a movie ( for example ) I understand. "Getting by" for the sake of a few ounces or for the sake of going minimal is cool too.  I'm still highly intrigued at what everyone deems necessary/needed/comfort level for everyday carry.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #84 on: November 03, 2015, 09:38:36 PM
EDC beyond SAKs is a little different; I've been minimizing there too.  I live in Southern Oregon and its possible that at any time I could find myself stuck out in the woods in bad weather so I carry a few things constantly.  A Boy Scout ferrous rod for fire, a Fox 40 plastic whistle (don't want lips to stick to cold metal in an emergency) for communication, a Fenix E01 for light, and my Vic Talisman for other duties.  This is my main set of keys (pic below) and I also have a small AAA light attached to whichever set of car keys I'm carrying.  Additionally I carry a red handkerchief and some protective gloves.  Handkerchiefs may have more uses than most SAKs and the gloves are for medical treatment on anyone I don't know. You have to inspect and change the gloves reasonably often.  Other than that, phone and wallet.  A little knowledge about basic medical care and outdoors skills can go a long way towards what you really need in emergencies.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #85 on: November 03, 2015, 10:12:33 PM

Once upon a time I was living and working in London. I used the saw from my Huntsman to remove a tree branch that was overhanging and blocking a footpath between two offices where I used to work. Prior to removal you had to lift it or step onto the road.

That was a (allbeit minor) 'public service' - and my good deed for the day. I felt proud and 'useful', that I was carrying my SAK and could fix the problem - a good feeling!!

So you never know when you may need a tool!!

gr Offline firiki

Reply #86 on: November 03, 2015, 10:19:19 PM

That's true  :ahhh :ahhh

:D

Offline AmberDragon

Reply #87 on: November 03, 2015, 10:36:00 PM
Keep it simple.  Blade and drivers.

I'd also say scissors if you're in the city. You can definitely get by with just a blade, but you can run into some problems with people who aren't used to knives if you pull out a blade to trim down a straw for a kid or cut the tag off a hoodie. Much easier to just pull out the scissors and avoid having a sheepish store employee apologize to you because someone complained.

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: November 03, 2015, 10:54:21 PM

Once upon a time I was living and working in London. I used the saw from my Huntsman to remove a tree branch that was overhanging and blocking a footpath between two offices where I used to work. Prior to removal you had to lift it or step onto the road.

That was a (allbeit minor) 'public service' - and my good deed for the day. I felt proud and 'useful', that I was carrying my SAK and could fix the problem - a good feeling!!

Reminded me of a similar situation. My motives were not so altruistic or nice as yours, I saw a recently cut/fallen branch on the sidewalk so I used the saw on my Wave to cut it and take home.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:58:17 PM by WWW »

us Offline s1xty7

Reply #89 on: November 03, 2015, 10:58:24 PM
Well, 'round here we're a little rural so a pocket knife isn't really something that attracts attention.  In school, we technically weren't allowed to carry one, but after a bunch of years of Boy Scouts, that never stopped me.  My teachers always used to ask to borrow it when they needed one.  In my job, as a male IT guy (even though I'm a programmer), everyone generally expects me to be able to fix anything, anywhere, at any time.  That could be a loose door knob, a bulb in a fixture, or dispatching any insect type things that happen to be around (typically no pocket knife required . . . but you never know).  Aside from leaving it behind when I fly or go to the courthouse, there is zero issue with having a pocket knife anywhere that I go.  Even open carry of large fixed blades and firearms generally isn't a problem.  I don't usually approve of open carry though as it puts some people on edge and makes you a target for anyone wanting to do harm.

I never use the scissors and tend to avoid SAK models with them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%