Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

10,000th post and giveaway announcement

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: 10,000th post and giveaway announcement
Reply #60 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:11 PM
I'd keep the Turbo Diesel. How can you go wrong with something with that name  :D
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #62 on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:06 PM

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: August 05, 2015, 11:28:15 PM
From your second list:

Its obvious you have to keep at least one Spirit, I know you like it AND its an excellent tool (some say its the BEST EVER :D). It basically boils down to butter blade vs. scissors. Personally, I think you should keep both and get rid of something else unless your BO S has no CC, then you should sell it to me ::) (just checked, yours does not have the CC :ahhh).

Then its Grappler vs. Vise Grips, can't even make a suggestion with those, as I don't know these products.

Since I hope you're keeping your TurboDiesel mod I think you should get rid of the 400/450 (if you want one with the smaller frame, why not your 426 mod).

Get rid of the rest.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:29:24 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: August 05, 2015, 11:41:18 PM
From your second list:

Its obvious you have to keep at least one Spirit, I know you like it AND its an excellent tool (some say its the BEST EVER :D). It basically boils down to butter blade vs. scissors. Personally, I think you should keep both and get rid of something else unless your BO S has no CC, then you should sell it to me ::) (just checked, yours does not have the CC :ahhh).

Then its Grappler vs. Vise Grips, can't even make a suggestion with those, as I don't know these products.

Since I hope you're keeping your TurboDiesel mod I think you should get rid of the 400/450 (if you want one with the smaller frame, why not your 426 mod).

Get rid of the rest.

You say keep BOTH Spirits, but I have three  :pok: X, RT, and BO-S. Are you suggesting keep two or three?

Grappler vs Vise Grips. Grappler could be considered to win on knife maybe, but that's it. Grappler is light to medium duty, Vise Grips are more substantial

The TurboDiesel is really seeing some love in this thread  :D I notice you've also gone for the MP426 but no mention of the Fuse-lier. So to sum up, that's two (or three) Spirits, one locking plier, and two flicky Gerbers. Interesting choices   :cheers:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: August 06, 2015, 12:02:38 AM
From your second list:

Get rid of the rest.

You say keep BOTH Spirits, but I have three  :pok: X, RT, and BO-S. Are you suggesting keep two or three?

Grappler vs Vise Grips. Grappler could be considered to win on knife maybe, but that's it. Grappler is light to medium duty, Vise Grips are more substantial

The TurboDiesel is really seeing some love in this thread  :D I notice you've also gone for the MP426 but no mention of the Fuse-lier. So to sum up, that's two (or three) Spirits, one locking plier, and two flicky Gerbers. Interesting choices   :cheers:
I thought the Fuse-lier is a done deal and got enough love from everybody else.

X and RT are basically the same tool, so I would only keep one of those. The RT is prettier but its also easier to sell... still you should keep the RT because its soooo pretty. And also keep the BO with the butterblade.

As for the MPs, I think you should keep the TurboDiesel, that is an incredible tool and so versatile. I'm kinda missing the plain MP600 from your lists, but was thinking they might come later. If you want to keep one with the smaller 4xx frame I think you should go for the 426 rather than the 400 or the 450.

As for the locking pliers, it seems like an easy choice for the Vise Grip (a better blade is only a minor advantage as a blade can easily be carried sepparatly).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: August 06, 2015, 12:13:18 AM
Thanks for the clarification  :tu:

Only one more thing for me to clear up .... no MP600s. I had the DET which got modded then raided for the Turbo's saw, and I got another standard diesel too. The DET lies partially laden with Paul Chen shears fitted in a box of other donors which I'll deal with seperately once I've decided what's stopping (aw crap! Just realised I have another PC Multitasker tucked away too). To be honest I was so happy with the modded 400, I didn't see the need to "upgrade". I initially decided to try the Diesel as it was MP600 sized but had a woodsaw  :)

Now I have a side quest  :facepalm: I want to keep something with the Paul Chen shears, so I either keep the stock one, or pad out the Destroyer with something to bring it back into circulation. It's going the wrong way again  :ahhh This is how I got so many tools in the first place  :rofl:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:17:50 AM by 50ft-trad »

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: August 06, 2015, 12:24:09 AM
Congrats on the 10k.    :tu:

Keep the PST or PST II

Keep the Core

Keep the Buffalo horn just cause it's Buffalo horn  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 01:14:53 AM by SteveC »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: August 06, 2015, 01:48:39 AM
Looks like the Horny Huntsman is getting popular  :D

That, the Spirit/s, the Fuse-ilier, the PST/s, and the TurboDiesel seem to be the most popular so far it seems  :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #69 on: August 06, 2015, 03:23:56 AM
Congrats on the 10K, and I hope your upcoming life changes are a good thing for you my friend :tu:

I'm late in this thread, and sort of lost at this point.  I do say to keep your Diesel as you turned me onto getting one.  Also keep the Spirit RT as that's a good one.  Not sure what else you should keep....maybe the PST III :think:

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #70 on: August 06, 2015, 04:38:20 AM
Hold on a minute.  There's one tool that hasn't been mentioned yet.  What about one of your MP700's?  :think:  You without one of those and a Traveler would be like me not owning an MP600 and a Tinker......  :ahhh
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: August 06, 2015, 08:44:06 AM
Thanks for the clarification  :tu:

Only one more thing for me to clear up .... no MP600s. I had the DET which got modded then raided for the Turbo's saw, and I got another standard diesel too. The DET lies partially laden with Paul Chen shears fitted in a box of other donors which I'll deal with seperately once I've decided what's stopping (aw crap! Just realised I have another PC Multitasker tucked away too). To be honest I was so happy with the modded 400, I didn't see the need to "upgrade". I initially decided to try the Diesel as it was MP600 sized but had a woodsaw  :)

Now I have a side quest  :facepalm: I want to keep something with the Paul Chen shears, so I either keep the stock one, or pad out the Destroyer with something to bring it back into circulation. It's going the wrong way again  :ahhh This is how I got so many tools in the first place  :rofl:
That settles it then you need at least one of the 400 / 426 / 450 and the answer is of course the modded 400 or else you don't have any real sliding pliers anymore (the Diesel is nifty but the handles open more, but you know that).

Go for the DESTROYER. The Paul Chen is a funny tool but neither rare nor valuable, so instead go for something useful. Also, the DEsTroyer was in your list of your favorite BO tools together with the RT and the Fuse-lier :tu:

That is what it used to look like :D :tu:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:45:48 AM by Etherealicer »

au Offline SAKchief

Reply #72 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:09 AM
Congratulations on reaching 10K! may you reach 10K more...

I noticed no one has mentioned the Salesman from the 84mm list

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: August 06, 2015, 10:09:06 AM
List 3: SAKs
You have to keep the IronGrip :tu:

Since you have a Traveller your "urban" carry is covered but you need at least one SAK with saw.
So keep the Huntsman for more outdoors activities like hiking
Keep the CT41 for pocket screwdrivers and an overall pretty complete package.
Now depending on how much you need a Phillips and how you feel about carrying a CT41 you should also consider Yeoman (smaller / magnifying glass) vs Voyager (tiny light / digital clock with alarm and timer / opener layer = better screwdrivers). However, you most likely have a mobile phone that can do all of these extra tasks (magnifying, light, digital watch) I see no need for either, the Vic can opener does well enough as Phillips.

Bonus round: I would also keep the Cadet, because its classy, elegant, super, small and sturdy.

Since I can't make a list :ahhh, I highlighted my choices

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #74 on: August 06, 2015, 11:21:20 AM
Looks like the Horny Huntsman is getting popular  :D

That, the Spirit/s, the Fuse-ilier, the PST/s, and the TurboDiesel seem to be the most popular so far it seems  :)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: August 06, 2015, 12:24:09 PM
Hold on a minute.  There's one tool that hasn't been mentioned yet.  What about one of your MP700's?  :think:  You without one of those and a Traveler would be like me not owning an MP600 and a Tinker......  :ahhh

You're right no one else has mentioned those Tom (though it was in the listing in reply #45). I have one "user" and one NIB spare. To be honest, the Balance displaced the 700 for the most part as the loadout was the same, but with a non-locking blade.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #76 on: August 06, 2015, 01:49:11 PM
I definitely would not keep the Diesel. It's got that iffy 2d Phillips.

I would keep only one Spirit.

I would keep only one variation of MP600.
SAW

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #77 on: August 06, 2015, 02:03:03 PM
I'd like to muddy the waters even further by offering a quote from the Ian Brown song 'Keep what ya got'.

'Keep what you've got, by giving it all away'

I'll get my coat.......................
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: August 06, 2015, 02:08:58 PM

If it makes a difference to your opinion, the TurboDiesel has the bit set and adapter which goes on the 2D Phillips. The original plan was also to steal the 3D Phillips from the partially dismantled DEsTroyer mod if the 2D posed a problem.

Also, did you mean keep one variation of the Mp400?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: August 06, 2015, 09:30:55 PM
For the second category just keep a SwissTool or a ST300.. whichever you like best

For the third category Irongrip, CT41, DofE, Golfer, Huntsman
Heck if you decide to sell the DofE I might pick you up on that  :D
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: August 06, 2015, 11:40:31 PM
Huge thanks to everyone who's participated so far  :cheers: Believe it or not I have been taking your comments on board, and they haven't always been helpful in me parting with stuff  ::) :D

Bt the end of tomorrow evening, I want to have shortened the list by identifying a load of stuff which will definitely be let go. I'll try to get those items photographed and listed both here and on EDCSource this weekend. I've been getting postage costs figured out this evening.

I should have potential giveaway prizes sorted by then too :nanadance:

Then lets see if we can then have a go at cherry picking from a smaller pile of stuff  :cheers:

us Offline sawman

Reply #81 on: August 07, 2015, 12:06:27 AM

If it makes a difference to your opinion, the TurboDiesel has the bit set and adapter which goes on the 2D Phillips. The original plan was also to steal the 3D Phillips from the partially dismantled DEsTroyer mod if the 2D posed a problem.

Also, did you mean keep one variation of the Mp400?
Yes, I would keep a MP400 as well :D
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: August 07, 2015, 12:27:23 AM
The first "simplification" of the list comes from looking at the slimmer framed items - or the PSTs and similar alternatives. If you take these as a sub-category, these are the tools, and what you might say are their key features which the others lack:

PST I - awl, plain edged blade
PST II - scissors, diamond file,
PST III - scissors, more robust drivers
MiniTool - PST pliers in a half sized package
Sideclip - plain edged blade, clip
NOTE: All of these should be compatible with the old tool adaptor
Roundhouse Kick - knifeless, scissors, awl, bit drivers, clip
Gerber Octane - knifeless, package opener, clip, THAT bottle opener

This post was very poignant....

Sideclip - quality pliers, with clip.  More useful than a Mini, as nice as a PST

No scissors, so I'd have to pair it with a scissored SAK. No awl, but the SAK takes care of that too. No diamond file, but there's plenty of chance to keep another tool for that. This does pair up very nicely with a Wenger Traveller, and adds pliers, Phillips, and decent length drivers which can handle recessed screws. The tool adaptor offers even more function, including limited access screws

Yes, I think the Sideclip is the one to keep here...... but not all will be sold. First of all, the PST I has a clip added, and was a GAW prize I got from bmot. I think offering that up as a potential GAW prize would be a more suitable way to see it go  :salute: Secondly, one tool which hasn't been mentioned yet as I was deciding it's fate was my old Wave which had the innards removed to build the Roundhouse Kick. I could use either the PST III or the Roundhouse to get that back "complete" again.

This means the PST II, Mini, and Neutered Octane will be listed for sale, as will EITHER the PST III or the Roundhouse.   :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: August 07, 2015, 12:31:57 AM

What innards would you rather see in a Wave?
Bit drivers, or regular drivers?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: August 07, 2015, 12:44:54 AM
Next simplification disagrees with many of you I'm afraid  :-[

Readers of THIS THREAD will understand why  ;)

This means the following will be looking for new homes:

Swisstool CS Plus (my first proper multitool  :ahhh)
ST300 30th Anniversary Set
Leatherman Core
Wenger Swissgrip
And my currently empty, and as yet unlisted, S60 Powerlock

us Offline sawman

Reply #85 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:25 AM

Leatherman Core
Wenger Swissgrip
Empty powerlock as in no tools? That may be a tough sell.
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: August 07, 2015, 01:21:06 AM

Leatherman Core
Wenger Swissgrip
Empty powerlock as in no tools? That may be a tough sell.

It will certainly be a very cheap sell  :rofl: I pilfered parts from it for other mods. What I'll need to do is have a look what SOG components I've got lying about (I know I have several blades, drivers, and the wire stripper) and see if I've got enough for a full tool load. If not, it will be priced accordingly, and whoever takes it on can add to it to suit their own preference  :)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: August 07, 2015, 01:29:28 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

What innards would you rather see in a Wave?
Bit drivers, or regular drivers?

Regular drivers  :tu:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #88 on: August 07, 2015, 01:35:11 AM
Keep the orange stuff in the fuselier pic, your favorite Juice, the Golfer or Compact, and a Rambler or whatever small Vic you like best.

Sell the rest.

This "change of situation" sounds bad. Like divorce, lost your job, getting evicted, or something like that. I hope it is not as bad as I'm imagining, and I wish I could help you.  :-\

Best of luck, Bro. I enjoy your posts here.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #89 on: August 07, 2015, 01:37:06 AM
No one seems to love the mp400 :(. For its size it's the best multi ever.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%