Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dumping the dinosaur??

tosh · 11 · 1285

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Dumping the dinosaur??
on: August 05, 2015, 09:32:18 AM
I'm again in a quandary with this photography lark.

Last Christmas I went digital by adding a dslr to my kit.
8 months on and it's been used just 3 times  :facepalm:

I never use it for days out, never use it for simple home snaps, never use when watching my son play sports.

The only time it gets used is when I dabble with URBEXing......and even then it gets in the way of the fun.
I think it's the whole caboodle not just one item. Having to lug everything around just on the off chance takes serious dedication - which I thought I had......obviously not. I really hate the notion of being seen as a photographer, I much prefer to be seen as a snapper!! ( strange mindset I know - but that's how I feel)

So, I'm again looking for alternatives.

I'm tempted to sell the lot and buy the Sony RX10, because of the much larger sensor. But will 200mm reach be enough?? Apart from that it sounds fantastic.

The macro down to 3cm is great for me. The 24mm wide end should be sufficient. The movie mode will definately be used more than the taking stills. Wifi to iPad/iphone sounds fantastic.

Any comments would be very welcome, particularly from those who've already taken the plunge.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Dumping the dinosaur??
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:46:54 AM
Why do you feel you have to carry ALL the kit?  Just because you've got it?  Pick one lens (e.g. a short zoom or slightly wide prime) and just use that, see how you get on.

us Offline TRUE LIBERTY

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:30:15 AM
I would start off and train yourself with a good 50 mm prime at least with 1.8 and carry nothing else for two weeks and by the end you will be surprised how much you depend on it, and discover really for most occasions do not need a zoom.

5 Reasons Why You Need a 50mm lens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PwmCrGVS3ZQ

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:31:57 AM
Why do you feel you have to carry ALL the kit?  Just because you've got it?  Pick one lens (e.g. a short zoom or slightly wide prime) and just use that, see how you get on.

Mainly because I don't have "one lens" they all seem to be restrictive one way or another.
The standard zoom is 28-105 which is also very slow at f3.5-4.5 and even then not really good enough to be used wide open.

The larger zoom usm 70-210 is a big old daft design, stupidly long when zoomed out and for the paltry 4x reach doesn't really warrant lugging it around.

The 24mm wide is nice and so is the 40mm and 50mm

The cosina 18-35 is crap - period!!

Then there's the flashgun - camera doesn't have one built in.

No stabiliser lenses, so a tripod needs to be somewhere near.

Needles to say, I really don't enjoy lugging it all around and so don't.

Whereas, The RX10 covers my whole lens collection and is also constant f2.8 all through the zoom range.
The macro (3cm) is amazing
Movie  (HD) - yes please
Wifi transfer to PC or tablet or printer..... :gimme: :gimme:  :drool:

I'm really struggling to justify the need for an SLR - it does seem to be a bit archaic these days.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:51:34 AM by tosh »

us Offline TRUE LIBERTY

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:41:58 AM

Mainly because I don't have "one lens" they all seem to be restrictive one way or another.
The standard zoom is 28-105 which is also very slow at f3.5-4.5 and even then not really good enough to be used wide open.

The larger zoom usm 70-210 is a big old daft design, stupidly long when zoomed out and for the paltry 4x reach doesn't really warrant lugging it around.

Whereas, The RX10 covers my whole lens collection and is also constant f2.8 all through the zoom range.
Movie  (HD) - yes please

I'm really struggling to justify the need for an SLR - it does seem to be a big archaic these days.

I am a Olympus guy so do not keep up with the other brands to much, so you said you switched to digital and it has no stabilizing on the lens or body? I didn't think there was any manufacturer out there that does not use stabilizing in one form or another.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:24 PM

Movie  (HD) - yes please

I'm really struggling to justify the need for an SLR - it does seem to be a big archaic these days.

I am a Olympus guy so do not keep up with the other brands to much, so you said you switched to digital and it has no stabilizing on the lens or body? I didn't think there was any manufacturer out there that does not use stabilizing in one form or another.

Long story short...

I didn't want to sell my existing lenses that I had from my 35mm film days. So decided just to buy a used FullFrame DSLR. But the limitations are glaringly obvious when compared to all the modern day advances.

Take the iphone for example, I use it almost exclusively these days and love the apps.
But the horrible quality when zoomed and the constant large depth of field is in my view the archilles heel.
If they could overcome these, I would be content never to pick up a camera again.
In the meantime  I'm missing so many wonderful opportunities  hence why I'm looking at bridge cameras.
But most bridge cameras fail miserably in the sensor area mainly because manufacturers fit small sensors. The Sony RX10 has the largest sensor of any bridge camera - needless to say this is the model I'm most keen on.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 04:14:33 PM
Tosh I know nothing about cameras and I dont own one.  It does seem tho that you have found what you want in the Sony.  All things considered you are knowledgeable enough and as you've said the current one isn't really used all that much anyway. 

Would it be possible to sell your current set up to completely fund the Sony and IF you find the Sony not up to the tasks you imagined easily resale-able?
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:07:16 PM
Tosh, can you find someone who will let you hire an RX10 so you can use it for a while to see how much you like (or don't like) it to help you decide whether to go the whole hog and buy one ?  That way your final purchasing decision will be based on actual usage, not on how it "feels" like in the shop.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 07:05:57 PM
It's still early days yet. But I'm beginning to think the bridge camera idea may actually suit my needs. As for trying it out. Unless my local store has it in stock that may be a problem.... a bigger problem then presents itself in that you have to buy from that source - I wouldn't feel comfortable just using them and then buying elsewhere.

But I'm sure if I could handle one my gut instinct would know whether it's the "right" move.

I'm still doing my research, finding out whether I can boost the telephoto or open up the wide angle capabilities.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 07:34:37 PM
I'm thinking about a small M series digital that will use my lenses and feel familiar. I've lugged around huge bags of equipment for 40+ years and I'm tired.

Or an advanced point and shoot with a viewfinder...the Texas sun is a killer on LCD screens
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 08:14:49 PM
The Leica M is definitely a purists camera.
I'm not wanting to take it as serious as that, these days I'm content with snaps - so long as they're sharp!! lol

" the Texas sun is a killer" ..... Well my heart bleeds for you!!  :twak:
Sun?? What's that?  :think:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:14:57 PM by tosh »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%