Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

In the ground cooking....?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
In the ground cooking....?
on: August 05, 2015, 03:46:12 PM
Hi All

We recently had a company event that was in essence an outdoor cast iron pot cooking contest.
There was free booze, a mechanical bull and Karaoke as well, but lets not go there.... :facepalm:

We didn't know what the challenge would be, and the speculation reminded me of something from my distant past  :P

While/during/after reading the Clan of the Cave Bear series of books I decided I would substitute chicken for Ptarmigan and cook it in a hole in the ground. 
We used foil for the lack of anything better, covered with sand and gravel, made and kept a fire going on top -  2/3 hours later we had a fine meal.

Not too long after we tried a repeat performance with more guests and 2 chickens, made the hole too deep and 3 hours later took some pink & bloody chickens out of the ground......
(BTW, "we"=my cousin, long time partner in crime and myself)

I'm itching to try this again, and I was wondering if anybody else here has tried it or maybe uses the bushcrafter version of a steam cooker?

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: In the ground cooking....?
Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:10:53 PM
I thought the idea was you dug a hole, lined it with rocks and lit a fire in the hole. Then when it is down to embers you put the food in and cover it?
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:24 PM
It has been done by burying the food for centuries in a few cultures. Often the food will be wrapped in appropriate leaves (rather than tin foil) before burying. I've never done anything this way as I like to check on my food while it's cooking (for the reasons highlighted in the OP).

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 09:19:34 PM
Oh, and personally I don't like putting rocks in or around a fire. Wet rocks can explode. I'd rather just have a cleared patch of ground and know it's not peaty  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 08:14:39 AM
It's called a Hangii (maori) and the idea is you build a fire over rocks (dry ones because wet ones can explode).  While the fire is burning dig a pit.  When the fire dies down shovel the glowing red rocks into the hole, get your food wrap it in suitable leaves (apparently banana leaves are good - but we don't have them here) pop it into the pit.  Cover with earth and turf and sit drinking beer for some time while it steams away. Tis tender and tasty when it's dug up and munched on.

We're doing a whole deer that way in a couple of weeks  :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:25:25 AM
Here we call it hangi. In Fiji we ate lovo. In New Guinea it's mumu. Yummy. We cook them up a few times a year when you have a large group to feed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $142.99
PayPal Fees: $8.01
Net Balance: $134.98
Below Goal: $165.02
Site Currency: USD
45%