Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sak Help?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Sak Help?
on: August 16, 2015, 05:37:01 AM
Ok, I kinda need a little help? Let's see how do I start this :think:  when I was 10 I saw my grandfathers sak, it was a champion plus, he asked if I liked it and I was like heck yeah! So, he said for my 12th bday, he would buy me one! Needless to say those next two years where like the longest of my life!  Well, when my older son turned 12, I did the same and bought him the same one! To this day I think I've used it more then him, like if I'm in his room doing something I'll ask to borrow it rather then walk all the way to my room and get one of mine! Anyway, my little guy turns 12 next year so it's time for him to get his first sak! I went to the same place I bought the other one and the price is over double! Heck I can get the next size up, the one with the pliers cheaper! So what do I do? Do I break the tradition and go bigger, or do I pay the extra? Or do I just get him whatever he wants? So I did a little one on one with the little guy and asked him what he liked and this is what I came up with..
These are the tools that he likes
Saw
Pliers
File
Mag glass
And the hook
Of course the blade, can opener/screwdriver, and bottle opener/screwdriver..

The one tool he didn't like was the corkscrew, I never liked it myself, never had a use for it. So I was wondering what you guys think and what you would suggest? Keep the tradition going on the same one? Or go diff, and if so what would fall in that category?? If anything I think this guy will end up using his WAAAAY more then his brother using his! Thanks
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Sak Help?
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:59:41 AM
I dont know what model you described but I'd say get him what he likes.   You liked the Champion so thats what your grandpa got you.  If your son likes a particular model then tradition is still alive in that a Victorinox is given.  I maybe wrong but is the tradition is giving a SAK or the SAK you liked in your childhood?     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 06:41:07 AM
I dont know what model you described but I'd say get him what he likes.   You liked the Champion so thats what your grandpa got you.  If your son likes a particular model then tradition is still alive in that a Victorinox is given.  I maybe wrong but is the tradition is giving a SAK or the SAK you liked in your childhood?     
:think: umm, it's been a very long week,, I guess yes the tradition will still be kept so long as he gets a sak for his 12th. As for my childhood? Umm, I had only really seen one sak, his :shrug:
JR

Congrats on the 6500th post :tu:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:42:28 AM by MadPlumbarian »
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:12:52 AM
So I thought about this one for a bit (because I read it then had to answer a work call right after).  I'm thinking different would be ok, as long as little brother doesn't get a "cooler" one than big brother.  Now maybe your kids are better than that, but I wasn't :)
I was thinking the Craftsman might be worth looking at, no corkscrew, but no mag glass...so in the scenario I mentioned above, little brother says "well mine has pliers", big brother says "mine has a mag glass".  Again, congrats if your kids are above things like that.  But if not, some food for thought ;)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:35:28 AM
So I thought about this one for a bit (because I read it then had to answer a work call right after).  I'm thinking different would be ok, as long as little brother doesn't get a "cooler" one than big brother.  Now maybe your kids are better than that, but I wasn't :)
I was thinking the Craftsman might be worth looking at, no corkscrew, but no mag glass...so in the scenario I mentioned above, little brother says "well mine has pliers", big brother says "mine has a mag glass".  Again, congrats if your kids are above things like that.  But if not, some food for thought ;)
Thanks, I have had my eye on that one, but like you said no mag, idk how their going to act, one min they are best buds, the next it's like cut throat! So it's a 50/50 chance..
JR

Offline Omar Rapace

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:54:05 AM
I am all for tradition, so get him a Champion. I have a Champion Plus and a SwissChamp and I do like the Champion better. I don't need the pliers and I do appreciate a thinner body.

... or ... get him a Farmer and tell him that less is more  :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:55:14 AM by Omar Rapace »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:46:25 PM
My first inclination was Champion, to stay with the tradition.

But now that you've made him aware of the options, he won't be happy without those implements he requested, so go with a Swisschamp, as it's the tool that has all the stuff he wants. Make sure he knows the fish scaler can be used as a back scratcher and a little fork, and he'll have a lot more interest in it. ;) He might develop an interest in fishing too...

Here's my similar story, for reference:

I was about that age when I got my second SAK from my mom's boyfriend. (My first SAK is an Ecoline Recruit, which was a gift from my grandpa)

He had a friend who owned a hardware store that carried Victorinox, so he brought us a catalog and said: "Pick whichever one you want, and I'll get it for you for Christmas."

Even at that age, I knew thicker and more tools meant I would carry it less, so I thought carefully and decided on the Explorer. My brother wanted ALL the tools, and thickness-be-damned, so he got the Swisschamp. He carried his for a week or two, then admitted he should've gotten a thinner one.

-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 04:24:11 PM
Consider the SwissChamp. 

For most 12 yr olds, it's all about the number of tools and the coolness-factor; ie, my knife can do it all.  When they reach 16-18, it'll be a bit too large for their pocket and they'll be ready for fewer layers and be ready for a Deluxe Tinker or Huntsman/Fieldmaster...but they'll never forget their first SAK.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

de Offline matzesu

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 04:49:25 PM
I think, a Swisschamp would do the Job quite well, expectly in a Plus Scale for the gimmic factor and coolness :) and whit the mag glass, its also great for all kind of explorations etc..
Whit this, he also can fix his bike, which is also a great thing..

I think, my 2 Niches also will get SAKs some day, wonder if they also exist in some female collors..  (pink)
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 07:47:59 PM
I got until March to come up with an answer, so keep the thoughts coming! My one thought is if I go tradition it's $77 for the champion plus, yet like only like $65 for the swisschamp, so cheaper to go with pliers, BUT, last week the champ plus was on sale for only $55, so idk, I wish I had bought two 4yrs back cause I only paid $35 for the other kids! So maybe if I keep an eye on it and the price drops I'll just snatch one up? ESPECIALLY if it goes back to $35! Sorry kid your getting tradition and no pliers..
JR

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Sak Help?
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 08:12:14 PM
Go with a swisschamp, I love mine
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 08:14:21 PM by tjfarrington2000 »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 08:36:39 PM
Swiss Champ because the last thing you want is when he shows off his new Champion to his friends, the Eddie Haskell of the bunch says, "Yeah but does it have pliers?" and then whips out the Champ of SAKs!!!   :o

Might do permanent damage to the boy........ ;)

:D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 08:42:08 PM
Swiss Champ because the last thing you want is when he shows off his new Champion to his friends, the Eddie Haskell of the bunch says, "Yeah but does it have pliers?" and then whips out the Champ of SAKs!!!   :o

Might do permanent damage to the boy........ ;)

:D
+1000  :D
Absolutely go with SwissChamp. Tradition is still going on, SC it's just a Champion with pliers ... would say a touch of novelty to the tradition ;)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 08:48:18 PM
*BUMP* *BUMP* *BUMP*
Any other thoughts on this subject? I've kinda been looking at the craftsman cause it has everything just not the mag glass, and is not overkill, heck I kinda like it.. Like I said I have until March to fig this out, I'm going to have to sit down with him and maybe let him look over my champion plus, and then maybe go online? I saw one on Amazon, and almost bought it because it was PERFECT, but then noticed it wasn't a Vic or weg, but a imitation, even with the shield :rant: so I'll keep looking and talk to him.. But I'd like to hear some of your thoughts..
JR

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 12:19:45 AM
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:21:56 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 03:34:00 AM
*BUMP* *BUMP* *BUMP*
Any other thoughts on this subject? I've kinda been looking at the craftsman cause it has everything just not the mag glass, and is not overkill, heck I kinda like it.. Like I said I have until March to fig this out, I'm going to have to sit down with him and maybe let him look over my champion plus, and then maybe go online? I saw one on Amazon, and almost bought it because it was PERFECT, but then noticed it wasn't a Vic or weg, but a imitation, even with the shield :rant: so I'll keep looking and talk to him.. But I'd like to hear some of your thoughts..
JR

I DO NOT like that amazon Victorinox searches have imitation SAKS on the bottom of each page.  Very deceptive to the unknowing comsumer that trusts the Victorinox name.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 06:39:15 AM
Hi JR,

Seems like you have created a wee problem for yourself with the discussion on, and introduction of, the pliers.  :o
In that he has requested (you have offered) the pliers - and I think the only stock model that has that set of tools is the SC.

So get the SC and now No.2 has a better SAK than No.1 - Uh oh
Unfortunately the models are too similar to avoid any mine is better than yours comparisons/discussions. I think it will happen :-(
If you were getting one a Leap then it might be a bit easier - as it is a completely different tool.

So I think your best bet is to stick with tradition and keep them the same - then that gives you:
  • A reason not to get the pliers  ???
  • Both boys have the same so no arguments/jealousies :)

And there is plenty of time to find a good deal in the next 6 months - boy are you planning ahead !!

Those ebay deals JB found look pretty good.
I bet you want to get something brand new - But they would clean up really well - Maybe some new scales??

Good luck mate....
ATB, H

PS. The best news is: Whatever you get - he is going to be thrilled !!!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 07:10:29 AM
I like having pliers, your son said he wants pliers, so I vote for a SAK with pliers. 

To my mind gifts should be all about what the recipient wants, will use, and will appreciate, so the likes/dislikes/preferences of anyone else (including the giver) need to be very heavily discounted, to the point of being almost irrelevant.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 08:11:52 AM
I like having pliers, your son said he wants pliers, so I vote for a SAK with pliers. 

To my mind gifts should be all about what the recipient wants, will use, and will appreciate, so the likes/dislikes/preferences of anyone else (including the giver) need to be very heavily discounted, to the point of being almost irrelevant.

^^^
This

You mentioned you saw your grandpas SAK and wanted one like it.  He's saying he likes the something different than what you like so I dont see why he (like the young you) shouldn't get what he likes.  Seems the tradition in my eye is receiving a SAK, receiving a SAK that one likes, and getting it on a 12th bday.

I'd say show him his options and let him decide what he likes and give him that.  You said it yourself you use your older sons more than he does.  I'd say nothing is lost by way of the tradition by giving a 12yr old a SAK he likes.  Just like when your grandpa asked you if you liked his particular SAK then gave you what you liked rather than what he chose.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 10:43:57 PM
So I did a little one on one with the little guy and asked him what he liked and this is what I came up with..
Saw
Pliers
File
Mag glass
And the hook
The one tool he didn't like was the corkscrew ...
:think:

SwissChamp
:gimme:

Mark the question as "Closed"

;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 10:47:29 PM

So I did a little one on one with the little guy and asked him what he liked and this is what I came up with..
Saw
Pliers
File
Mag glass
And the hook
The one tool he didn't like was the corkscrew ...
:think:

(Image removed from quote.)

SwissChamp
:gimme:

Mark the question as "Closed" (Image removed from quote.)

;)

Brilliant!!

He may not like the corkscrew now but it's only a matter of time before he finds some neat things to use it on.  It's also a great place to put the little driver and he may find some good uses for that as well.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 10:51:19 PM
Swisschamp  :pok: :pok: :D
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:26 PM
Buy a Swisschamp, then mod it  >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 11:04:10 PM
Buy a Swisschamp, then mod it  >:D
+1  Maybe teach the boys some hammering/drilling skills at the same time :)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 11:30:07 PM
Brilliant!!

He may not like the corkscrew now but it's only a matter of time before he finds some neat things to use it on.  It's also a great place to put the little driver and he may find some good uses for that as well.   

-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 01:28:19 AM
You guys are funny, I gotta sit with him and see what he thinks of everything.
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: September 15, 2015, 04:43:58 AM
Well, I sat down with him again and let him try out a couple of mine, he liked the alox scales over the plastic, then we went online to see a few others and his eyes just opened and jaw dropped when he saw the 111mm with curved handles! The one that Cought his attention was the carpenter with the wood saw, pliers, and locking blade. Of course it's no longer made.. So I guess something new to look into cause I don't even have a sak this size..
JR

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 15, 2015, 05:37:58 AM
Sounds like he needs the Atlas:
  • Pliers
  • Saw
  • In line Phillips
  • Even CS for the wee SD
Perfect
As this is a completely different knife than the 91mm - this is a much better option than the SC - which is too similar (& better) than his brother's!

Don't get me wrong in my earlier post - I agree 100% in getting him something that he wants, is what is important - And a(ny) SAK, as opposed to a particular model, is what is required. I just didn't want sibling rivalries!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 05:54:53 AM
Thanks huntsman,
   The corkscrew is the only thing he doesn't like, idk, he just said he doesn't like it :shrug: anyway, since I don't have any larger(111)sak, how is the locking on these? There are the two diff ones, the liner and the slide, I'm guessing the liner is like any other, but I didn't see any with pliers, and with his small fingers I think a slide might be better, but are they good? Like I said I have no experience with these!
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 07:05:56 AM
Smart kid  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00