Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time to break a blade

Smaug · 23 · 1311

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Time to break a blade
on: August 14, 2015, 06:39:32 PM
I was eyeing the bladeless version of the Gerber MP600 for an MT I could easily take along while traveling. I read the reviews; several complaints of the BO coming off on users' hands. That = poor execution to me.

Then I realized, I have this inexpensive MP400 already, which already has its pliers tip ground down to be kind of blunt and it is well broken in already. I should just dremel the blade off of that one, right? The MP400 is more travel-sized, and I've got lots of other MTs around too...

The problem is I'm having a hard time actually physically doing it. I just sharpened that blade the other day. (both parts of it) I kind of like it too, it seems like such a waste.

On the other hand, MP400s are $26 new now, and this one is not even CLOSE to new any more.

But still, all these years of taking care of my tools, and now I'm going to deliberately wreck one? It's hard!

Send me some courage, guys.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Time to break a blade
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:43:25 PM
I was eyeing the bladeless version of the Gerber MP600 for an MT I could easily take along while traveling. I read the reviews; several complaints of the BO coming off on users' hands. That = poor execution to me.

Then I realized, I have this inexpensive MP400 already, which already has its pliers tip ground down to be kind of blunt and it is well broken in already. I should just dremel the blade off of that one, right? The MP400 is more travel-sized, and I've got lots of other MTs around too...

The problem is I'm having a hard time actually physically doing it. I just sharpened that blade the other day. (both parts of it) I kind of like it too, it seems like such a waste.

On the other hand, MP400s are $26 new now, and this one is not even CLOSE to new any more.

But still, all these years of taking care of my tools, and now I'm going to deliberately wreck one? It's hard!

Send me some courage, guys.

Courage Mon Brave!  :salute:

You can do it Smaug - gather that Dragon strength!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 06:47:15 PM
I was like this with taking a perfectly good sak apart for the phillips,but once i did it and took the other sak apart and added the phillips i was well chuffed and would do more  :tu: but if your not ready i get it  :salute:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 07:21:24 PM
Why chop when you can swap?

You could just take the knife out and replace it with another tool. The ones on other 400/600 series Gerbers will fit with some rearranging and consideration for tool length.

or

You can take the knife out and put in a washer/spacer to fill the gap.

Either way, you get a knifeless tool and still have the option of the blade if you decide to swap it back in at some point.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 07:32:12 PM

You could just take the knife out and replace it with another tool. The ones on other 400/600 series Gerbers will fit with some rearranging and consideration for tool length.

or

Either way, you get a knifeless tool and still have the option of the blade if you decide to swap it back in at some point.

this is a better option  :salute: im thinking of doing this too my pst ll  :tu:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 07:49:41 PM
I'm not sure the Gerbers are dis-assemble-able. I can't tell by looking at the fasteners.  :think:

The washer would have to be just the right thickness, or the other tools will either become too tight or will be flopping about.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:54:03 PM
I'm not sure the Gerbers are dis-assemble-able. I can't tell by looking at the fasteners.  :think:

The washer would have to be just the right thickness, or the other tools will either become too tight or will be flopping about.

They are very easy to disassemble. I've done it many times :D.

Pair of vice grips and a lighter is all you need.

Just identify the pivot side that rotates (doesn't sit into the handle scale) and heat it with the lighter to loosen the loctite. Once that's done, use the vice grips (pad the jaws to avoid scratching) and remove the screw portion of the pivot.

Then you can slid out the pivot and all the pieces will come out.

With the tools out, you can use a pair of calipers to measure the thickness of the tool or just take the blade to a hardware store and match it to a washer.

Reassembling is straightforward as long as you align the tabs on the washers with the slot in the lock area. You may need to pull the lock tab back to allow them all to seat properly. I do that after all the tools are in and before I tighten the pivot back up.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 08:20:05 PM
Youp, easy to disasemble... just make sure you rotate on the right side
gerbers_03.jpg
* gerbers_03.jpg (Filesize: 575.6 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:06 PM
Have a look over in the Mod Squad forum, there are a few threads on taking apart MP400s and 600s.  For example: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,53786.msg928630.html#msg928630
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 09:03:46 PM
Agreed with the swap not the chop. Gerber are extremely easy to take apart and put back together. Only thing is to remember the washers have little tabs on them that must sit in a certain place into the handle. Its really easy to do though.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:53:12 PM
...so Red loctite for reassembly?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 09:59:08 PM
Hmm. Anyone got an MP450 file they'd sell me?

I feel like it isn't likely I'd find a washer of just the right thickness to keep the tension right.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 10:27:48 PM

NO!

Use Blue 242.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 10:29:32 PM

I feel like it isn't likely I'd find a washer of just the right thickness to keep the tension right.

If you had calipers you could measure it, but I am assuming you do not.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:33 PM

You can always layer thinner ones to get the right thickness. Plus there is some leeway in the screw for tightening to get the tension right. Gerbers are built like AK's, a little sloppy on the tolerances, but rugged and reliable.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 10:50:35 PM

No! Use some of your wife's nail varnish (or some of your own  :P). This will make the thread "gummy" enough to not come undone inadvertently, but also allow you to freely take it apart again if you need to. If you buy a MP450 to steal the file from, you then have a spare set of drivers to swap in if you damage one  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 01:41:45 AM
Or you can leave the loctite out. I've not had any problems with the pivots loosening on mine after modding them.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 01:50:09 AM
Or you can leave the loctite out. I've not had any problems with the pivots loosening on mine after modding them.
This times a thousand. There is no way for the tools on a Gerber to spin the pivot, this no way to loosen the screw through repeated tool opening/closing

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 01:51:54 AM

You can always layer thinner ones to get the right thickness. Plus there is some leeway in the screw for tightening to get the tension right. Gerbers are built like AK's, a little sloppy on the tolerances, but rugged and reliable.

Yes, tension is against the tools and not the handle so as long as the tools clear the pliers you should be good.

This times a thousand. There is no way for the tools on a Gerber to spin the pivot, this no way to loosen the screw through repeated tool opening/closing

I've done six of these, they all worked loose and required loctite, so probably one for YMMV.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 01:55:12 AM

Yes, tension is against the tools and not the handle so as long as the tools clear the pliers you should be good.

I've done six of these, they all worked loose and required loctite, so probably one for YMMV.

I stand corrected. YMMV it is, I've done two and been okay, and a pinchy :D

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 02:22:49 AM

or

What he said. 
Takes a little patience, plus you will have a knife blade for another  great idea!

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 02:36:05 AM
At the very least, someone may want the drop point blade to replace their wharncliffe, I know that's a love/hate shape. Maybe they'd trade for it?

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:54 AM
I´d like to add this:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47743.0.html

For some additional pics of disassembled Gerber Tools. I´ll always take gerber tools and if I have what you need, I´ll gladly trade.
if you just need a washer, I can send it in an envelope.

And I can offer some broken blades ( basically, tool pivot area bits), so you don´t have to snap off yours...

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:04:55 AM by lowtech »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD