Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

See through glue for jelly scales in the UK

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
See through glue for jelly scales in the UK
on: October 27, 2015, 02:13:53 PM
My green jelly scales are loose  :ahhh

Can any of you recommend a glue that dries clear, or a better method to kep my scales on tightly?

I took the scales off to clean inside, and since replacing them they have some play around the T&T areas
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: See through glue for jelly scales in the UK
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:21:50 PM
Play around the t+t?  Fnarr.

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:23:02 PM
You need a 2 part epoxy. I use loctite brand quick drying two part epoxy. It dries like glass. You squirt equal parts onto a paper plate and mix it thoroughly. I never had jelly scales but what I do is fill the holes up. Then when it's clamped it push the tweezers and toothpick through to make sure glue isn't blocking the path. Also, I try to pick out any shavings of plastic from the holes before I fill them with glue, because sometimes the brass rivets scrape little shavings off the plastic.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 02:28:00 PM
You need a 2 part epoxy. I use loctite brand quick drying two part epoxy. It dries like glass. You squirt equal parts onto a paper plate and mix it thoroughly. I never had jelly scales but what I do is fill the holes up. Then when it's clamped it push the tweezers and toothpick through to make sure glue isn't blocking the path. Also, I try to pick out any shavings of plastic from the holes before I fill them with glue, because sometimes the brass rivets scrape little shavings off the plastic.

Thanks Mo2 (we already have a Mo)  :salute: I imagine the epoxy will add some nice weight if all the holes are filled?

This is an example of an unhelpful comment. You know where the naughty step is H. Sit there and think about what you did.

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:41:12 PM

Thanks Mo2 (we already have a Mo)  :salute: I imagine the epoxy will add some nice weight if all the holes are filled?

This is an example of an unhelpful comment. You know where the naughty step is H. Sit there and think about what you did.

There's already a modern sak here? That sucks! Well you're only filling 6 small holes, the 6 holes for the brass rivets, so it won't add any weight. Also, you obviously don't need to fill the holes to the rim. But you do want enough in there that it will squeeze out of the hole when you clamp it. The first time I did it I just put a dab in the bottom of the hole and it eventually cracked loose. You want that rivet really surrounded and covered on the sides.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:43:16 PM by Modern SAK »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:48:43 PM

There's already a modern sak here? That sucks! Well you're only filling 6 small holes, the 6 holes for the brass rivets, so it won't add any weight. Also, you obviously don't need to fill the holes to the rim. But you do want enough in there that it will squeeze out of the hole when you clamp it. The first time I did it I just put a dab in the bottom of the hole and it eventually cracked loose. You want that rivet really surrounded and covered on the sides.

Cheers!

You're the only Modern SAK, but for the purposes of shortening your username we already have a Mo (Monrogue) and I don't want to cross him. He's bad news.  :whistle:

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 03:06:44 PM
The two component epoxy is great. Just check it doesnt eat your scales.
From what I remember it is quite strong and heats up while curing.
I would test a drop on some beater SAk with clear scales if you have any.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 03:13:20 PM
Blimey! Do you think I'm made of scales?  :ahhh

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 03:14:40 PM

Cheers!

You're the only Modern SAK, but for the purposes of shortening your username we already have a Mo (Monrogue) and I don't want to cross him. He's bad news.  :whistle:

Oh ok cool. :)

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 03:25:06 PM

Good thinking. Put a dab on some cigarette cellophane and make sure it dries cool and clear.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 04:28:44 PM
I use Pattex glue. It is clear and bit elastic. If it falls, it gives in a bit, so it will not let glue loose so easy. And scales can be taken off quite easy without breaking them. It holds rather well also.

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 08:27:08 PM

Vic has developed a special tool for that very condition Mags, it also removes fish hooks and measures stuff.  :whistle:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 08:44:50 PM

Vic has developed a special tool for that very condition Mags, it also removes fish hooks and measures stuff.  :whistle:

:rofl: Best joke of the week so far!

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 11:02:05 PM
I use Pattex glue. It is clear and bit elastic. If it falls, it gives in a bit, so it will not let glue loose so easy. And scales can be taken off quite easy without breaking them. It holds rather well also.

What type of adhesive is that?  Is it a 2-part epoxy?

I've used Loctite 243 thread-lock around the rivet heads and it seems to work pretty well so far.  It's not clear though.  Maybe OK for sapphire scales, since it's blue!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 05:33:06 AM

I've used Loctite 243 thread-lock around the rivet heads and it seems to work pretty well so far.  It's not clear though.  Maybe OK for sapphire scales, since it's blue!

This. Pick a country at top.

http://www.pattex-adhesives.com.au/en/products/100-percent-line/100percent-repair-gel.html

Locktite is pretty good product. I use it at work. Bond that it makes is not specially strong, but works on what it is intented, and would assume it gives good fill on scales.

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 09:36:35 AM

http://www.pattex-adhesives.com.au/en/products/100-percent-line/100percent-repair-gel.html

Locktite is pretty good product. I use it at work. Bond that it makes is not specially strong, but works on what it is intented, and would assume it gives good fill on scales.

What kind of loctite do you use, thread locker? I'm talking about a two part epoxy. It is especially strong.

You use a two part epoxy at work? You have to mix two separate parts of the glue together directly before use so they react. Like JB weld.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 09:54:52 AM
I'd start with the weakest and most flexible glue possible not the strongest and hardest.  In fact I'd try a good quality curing silicone sealant, clear is available, and only on the T&T end rivet if that us where the play is.  If that is not strong enough work up through the "Loctite" grades.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:00:17 AM by pingu »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 10:47:18 AM
I have some shoo gloo in the house and cheapskate that I am, I thought I'd try that first. It is holding the scales nicely, has dried clear and gives a nice 'bubble' effect to the jelly scales;

us Offline Modern SAK

Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 11:20:30 AM
I have some shoo gloo in the house and cheapskate that I am, I thought I'd try that first. It is holding the scales nicely, has dried clear and gives a nice 'bubble' effect to the jelly scales;

Well there you go. It did the job and you have your knife back. :)

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 01:59:33 PM

Looks like an interesting product.  From browsing Henkel MSDS's, "loctite stik n seal extreme conditions" may be an equivalent or similar product in the US market.  Unfortunately neither seems to be available in the UK :(

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 05:33:02 PM

What kind of loctite do you use, thread locker? I'm talking about a two part epoxy. It is especially strong.

You use a two part epoxy at work? You have to mix two separate parts of the glue together directly before use so they react. Like JB weld.

Same thread lock as shibafu but red colour. It is not two part epoxy. Alltough we do use huge variety of different kind of glueing substances at our work. Some epoxies, others not.

Looks like an interesting product.  From browsing Henkel MSDS's, "loctite stik n seal extreme conditions" may be an equivalent or similar product in the US market.  Unfortunately neither seems to be available in the UK :(

It is good glue for my needs, and gives good results.

I went their website, and did notice that there was not UK at their country selection.

Maybe ther is some other manufacturer that makes something similar to your market?

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 09:06:48 PM

I like it the bubbles look good :salute:
Weasel

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:22 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I like it the bubbles look good :salute:

+1  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31