Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$2 Challenge- Contender #10

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$2 Challenge- Contender #10
on: August 21, 2015, 02:41:11 PM
Contender #10 arrived and is much smaller than I thought it would be.  It appears to be a copy of the Leatherman Brewzer, formerly known as the PocketTool X Brewzer.

Unfortunately I have yet to obtain a real Brewzer to compare this to, which is probably why I thought it was supposed to me more along the size of the Piranha.  Looking closer at the photos of the Brewzer on Leatherman's site has convinced me that this is more in line with the size of the real Brewzer- I'll have to get one and compare them.

Otherwise it seems decently well made, although the finish could have used a bit more attention.  It feels solid enough, but considering it really isn't meant for much more than opening bottles and cans it should be more than capable of fulfilling it's roles for years to come.  Plus, since it isn't really large enough to pry anything larger, it's not likely it will ever be pushed past it's limits.

This is the first of the $2 tools to arrive that I am actually impressed with.  While I don't see it comparing to the legitimate Brewzer (at least in finish) it does at least seem like it will do the job it is supposed to.  Maybe that is because it is not meant to do much, or maybe someone just happened to put some effort into this one I don't know, but this one is well worth the $1.75 it cost, at least in my estimation.

Of course, if I was to have any input on redesigning it I think I would make it about twice the size and turn that bottle cutout into a graduated wrench, like is found on most one piece tools- or at the very least, replace the bottle cutout with a 1/4" hex slot.

Still, it could be a handy little tool when light duty prying is needed or a bottle of your favorite beverage is resisting your most valiant efforts.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: $2 Challenge- Contender #10
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 02:53:40 PM
On my Brewzer the bottle opener is a 1/4" hex driver.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:06:48 PM
I guess I will have to check to see if a standard bit fits in the bottle cutout then.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:31:23 AM
I tried to use the tip of this one today as a screwdriver to attach feet to a new TV I got, and frankly I was unimpressed.  It was just for screws and they didn't have to go in that far, but using this tool made it seem like a real core.

Thankfully the Switch plier 2.0 wasnt too far away and was able to finish the job without any trouble.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 03:01:51 PM
I guess I will have to check to see if a standard bit fits in the bottle cutout then.

Def

They do not fit.

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 01:34:45 AM
That is a little disappointing.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 02:41:28 AM
Yeah, tell me about it.

I have to say, I'm not really certain this tool is really worthwhile to be honest.  It is a mediocre bottle opener, a mediocre screwdriver and that's pretty well it. The only thing this has going for it is that it is very compact.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 10:44:26 PM
Thanks to Rex I now have a real Leatherman Brewzer to compare to the fake.  And, what a comparison this is!

The Brewzer is somewhat better than the fake (as is to be expected) by having much better definition of the various cutouts, but actually suffers in finish.  The polished and softened edges of the fake kind of make the Leatherman version look like the fake!

Functionally the Leatherman is better, and that's what counts, butthe fake feels a lot nicer.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%