Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$2 Challenge- Contender #13

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$2 Challenge- Contender #13
on: August 21, 2015, 03:20:29 PM
I'm not certain that Contender #13 is really a contender for a decent multitool under $2 since it isn't actually a multitool- it is just a pair of convenient scissors.

I thought it might be a multitool since I have a similar set from True Utility called the SciXXors, but when these arrived I realized that they not only didn't have other functions, they were also much smaller than the True Utility version.

Contender #13 is actually not a bad set of little scissors.  They aren't as precise as SAK scissors but they are good enough for day to day tasks like cutting threads off clothes.  There is a bit of play in them, and sometimes the handles will bump together slightly keeping them from closing.  It's annoying but not serious.

In an odd twist, these are actually nicer than the brand name version as the pin that holds them together (and to your keys etc) actually comes out without a fight.  It still holds the scissors securely enough that I wouldn't worry about losing them, but the True Utility ones almost need pliers to pull out and a hammer to put back in.   :ahhh

All in all, as far as multitools go this is a fail as these are just scissors and do not have any other function.  As far as being worth the $1.99 I spent on them and being a good piece of EDC kit, I'd say Contender #13 is a win.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: $2 Challenge- Contender #13
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:13:26 AM
Grant, I think these are TU Scixors, even if not branded as such. Yours is the "+" variant which has the additional functions. The original version is what you've just received  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 03:37:57 AM
I've never seen another version of the True Utility scissors but then I haven't followed True Utility's products that closely.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:21:43 AM
This is not a bad idea really.

Considering that many people carry the classic, mainly because it has scissors, and many places do not allow knives/many users do not want/need to carry a knife, carrying a small pair of scissors, only, may be a good solution.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:26 AM
I received a set of these scissors today, and mine are not very functional. They look fine, but have yet to succeed at any cutting task. Not sure if they're a cheaper knockoff, or I just got a lemon.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 05:07:31 PM
I don't know, mine seem to cut ok. I have more problems with the handles bumping together than anything else.

Blades seem to work, but as with any other tool at this level there can be great differences in quality from one to another.

Def

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 11:22:20 AM
Just as 50ft said, the TU ones you have are the SciXors+, while the contender is either non-branded or fake original SciXors.

I got a pair of those as well and while I think they still have a function, all cutting is a bit of a struggle since the spring is VERY stiff and there's no leverage due to the short handles. YMMV

:salute:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 02:47:45 PM
Mine doesn't seem to have an overly stiff spring- perhaps this is due to the typical variations found in lower end tools?

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 06:23:24 PM
Mine doesn't seem to have an overly stiff spring- perhaps this is due to the typical variations found in lower end tools?

Def

Probably. Mine is a bit stiff, and as Aleph78 noted, you don't have much leverage. I did manage to get it cutting better after tightening the pivot a tiny bit, but it only works on things in a certain resistance sweet spot. It has real trouble with flimsy materials.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 12:06:00 PM
I'm up to 4 or 5 TU products, don't have these but I'm replying here because I want them....

I appreciate economy of scale and transport costs, but FYI all the most common TU products sell locally for US$7.50 to US$12  (99-160 of my dollars)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%