Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Simplest outdoor eating- Thermos!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Simplest outdoor eating- Thermos!
Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 12:54:31 PM
I do that very often, and that is why my EDC bag (Maxpedition Tactical Operator) is so heavy.  I put everything I might need in it and don't change it up.  I usually don't remove things from it, just add things.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Eyegor

Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 05:33:24 PM
I was thinking ( scary thought I know ) is it possible to use a pocket rocket type stove to heat liquid based foods.  It would only take moments to heat and the stoves plus fuel are reasonably small and knock off stoves are less than $10 US.  The fuel is not terribly expensive but this way you are guaranteed a hot meal
Don't do it. At the minimum the thermos isn't designed for it and some of the parts won't stand the heat. In addition a vaccuum bottle is an extremely poor heat conductor which is why they make good thermos type containers. What I suggest instead is just heat water, ( which is why you always want a thermos with a metal cup), add the hot water to whatever you have in the thermos I like the Uncle Ben rice dishes, and let sit. Thermos cooking at its best. Nice and simple. If you're interested Google "thermos cooking" and you'll find lots of other tricks.
T

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 05:54:55 PM
I was thinking ( scary thought I know ) is it possible to use a pocket rocket type stove to heat liquid based foods.  It would only take moments to heat and the stoves plus fuel are reasonably small and knock off stoves are less than $10 US.  The fuel is not terribly expensive but this way you are guaranteed a hot meal
Don't do it. At the minimum the thermos isn't designed for it and some of the parts won't stand the heat. In addition a vaccuum bottle is an extremely poor heat conductor which is why they make good thermos type containers. What I suggest instead is just heat water, ( which is why you always want a thermos with a metal cup), add the hot water to whatever you have in the thermos I like the Uncle Ben rice dishes, and let sit. Thermos cooking at its best. Nice and simple. If you're interested Google "thermos cooking" and you'll find lots of other tricks.

That's good advice.  Vacuum bottle cannot be heated from the outside, especially if they are air-tight, and it may ruin the air-tightness or even burst if there is air inside.  I have a Klean Kanteen stainless steel 'vaccum bottle' and it has specific instruction asking people not to do it(since it is not uncommon among bushcraft community to just toss the regular Klean Kanteen into fire to boil water)

ThuJoseph

Reply #33 on: July 31, 2017, 11:39:57 AM
Thermoses are certainly the most convenient things for outdoor eating! But choosing one is a problem. Well, it was a problem for me when I was looking for a thermos for soup. And this LINK REMOVED  review was really helpful! Very detailed article from which you can learn about everything you should know about soup thermoses. Everything just from one article, it very saving times!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:25:20 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD