Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Topeak Mini 20 Pro PIC HEAVY

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Topeak Mini 20 Pro PIC HEAVY
on: February 14, 2015, 01:29:41 AM
I got my anniversary present a few days ago and it was this beautiful bicycling-specific multitool (she knows me so well  ;)) from Topeak called the Mini 20 Pro. I haven't had an opportunity to test it in field conditions yet as it is winter here in Central Montana and the trails are either wet, snowy, or icy. So this will be more of my first impressions as opposed to a review.

Included tools are 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm, 4mm, 3mm, 2.5mm, and 2mm hex drivers, #2 Philips, flat screwdriver, tire lever, cap-lifter, spoke holder, chain-pin holder, T25 and T10 torx drivers, chain tool, chain hook, 14g, 15g, Shimano, and Mavic spoke wrenches.

The packaging states that the tool weighs 5.3 ounces. It feels heavier than this, however. I compared the weight in hand to my Wave and my Pocket Power Plier. It feels like it weighs closer to the Wave than to the PPP. I would say this is a drawback except that the Mini 20 Pro feels very solid, so I consider it a good tradeoff.

The product came packaged up as seen below, tool displayed below a little compartment holding a neoprene sheath and an instructional flyer.

Neoprene sheath is nice enough and makes for a compact little package to slip into a seat-post bag or back-pack.

My example is "gold", more like a chromed yellow and the implements have a high polish on them. One side fanned.

Other side fanned.

Flyer showing how to use some of the many features.

Chain tool disengaged from the main tool. The wire you can see on the side of the chain tool is for holding the chain together on the bike while using the chain tool

Notice the small hex bit - it pivots out to allow for use to adjust the tightness of the main-body tools.

Self adjustment example.

You use the 4mm hex on the main tool to operate the chain tool.

Tire lever. It states on the flyer that this is for emergencies only. As it is coated metal, it could cause damage to wheels. I always carry some dedicated levers with me anyhow. This function has a back-stop.

Combo tool that functions as a cap lifter, a spoke holder for Mavic spokes which are kind of flat, like a propeller blade, and a chain pin holder. This function has a back-stop, too.

Fully fanned beauty shots.

The 10mm hex is a bit that clips over the 8mm hex. Good, strong retention on the bit.

Size comparison to a Leatherman Wave. It is built like a badger, low and wide.

These bicycling specific multitools are very intriguing to me lately, so I am glad to finally have a full featured version. I am left wondering why no one has attempted to make a pliers-based bicycling multitool. the only thing noticeably absent from this tool is pliers and a knife so I really wonder why one of the big multitool companies hasn't put out something that combines the two genres of multitool.

Bicycling multitools are kind of different fundamentally from EDC multitools. EDC multitools are designed to be used often. Whereas these bicycling tools are emergency tool kits, really only intended to be used if adjustments are needed or if damage occurs on a ride. I suppose you could use one of these in the shop, but as none of the features lock this would not be ideal. Even though this tool is not uncomfortable in the hand, a dedicated tool would be much easier to use.

Those are my thoughts, perhaps after some use this riding season I will post an actual review.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Topeak Mini 20 Pro PIC HEAVY
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 01:52:40 AM
Nice walk-through mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:56:25 AM
I can't think of situations where I would need pliers or a knife (not saying there aren't any, just can't think of any).

Great pics.  :tu:
I love my Topeak Hexus 16.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:21:45 AM
  So here is the formidable Wenger Large Mountain Bike:

Sheath-wise, the plastic case is a little wanting.   ;)

It has an excellent chain breaker  and removable multifunction wrench

Pliers, universal wrench and inline Phillips

Knife, nail file, can and bottle openers (and corkscrew ;) )

Biggest problem?  No Allen wrenches :(

That Topeak is nice!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 03:35:56 AM
That Wenger looks awesome, besides missing the hex wrenches. The chain breaker looks stout!
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:42:43 AM
I can't think of situations where I would need pliers or a knife (not saying there aren't any, just can't think of any).

Great pics.  :tu:
I love my Topeak Hexus 16.

I have used the pliers on my Wingman to pull cactus spikes out of my tire (and knee, ouch) and to adjust the tension of my brake lines and shifter cables. I guess I haven't needed a knife yet, but they are so useful I'd hate to not have one when I needed it. :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:23:52 PM
Wonderful report and picture essay on that Topeak tool.

I see that Topeak makes numerous tools for cyclists.You could spend a good deal of money just on their cycle tools.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 08:48:08 PM
Wonderful report and picture essay on that Topeak tool.

I see that Topeak makes numerous tools for cyclists.You could spend a good deal of money just on their cycle tools.

Thanks! You really could. The crank Brothers stuff is even more expensive - some of their stuff is crazy

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 09:49:14 PM
These are great bits of kit, i have to topeak mini 18+ and its nerver let me down. Looks similar to yours but my link remover tool is missing two of the spoke wrenches yours has.
I

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 01:52:49 PM
No but this one does.   ;)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 02:03:27 PM

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 02:11:54 PM

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 02:23:45 PM

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 02:55:16 PM
I have the Topeka Mini 9 and I love it.  In fact, I have a few bike tools and I really like (most of) them since they have the Allen wrenches that so many things are held together with, and so many multitools lack.

I'd never heard of the Mini 20 until now but it looks pretty sweet indeed!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 12:56:12 AM

Necro'd my unboxing!

I didn't need to use the tool much this season, my bike is still basically brand new so no breakdowns nor repairs needed. I tested the bottle opener successfully ;) Also, tightened some screws with the philips and slotted drivers. That's been it. Besides that, it has been tucked away in my seat-post pack with my Freestyle.

Also, did the name of this sub-forum change recently?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 01:16:19 AM

Necro'd my unboxing!

I didn't need to use the tool much this season, my bike is still basically brand new so no breakdowns nor repairs needed. I tested the bottle opener successfully ;) Also, tightened some screws with the philips and slotted drivers. That's been it. Besides that, it has been tucked away in my seat-post pack with my Freestyle.

Also, did the name of this sub-forum change recently?

It was worth it to get my msg across and it confused the hell out of fiddyfoot, win win.   :D

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 01:29:31 AM
I'm still confused, but... I'm happy for your success :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 01:31:34 AM
Still confused here too Zoidie :2tu:

:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 01:38:36 AM
:facepalm:

Fine... the badge request was something like:

"does this thread have the type of pictures for getting the photographer badge?"

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 05:19:45 AM
Ooooh! Forehead slap

Lol

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%