Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Terrific $20 Challenge!!!!

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Re: The Terrific $20 Challenge!!!!
Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 07:16:34 AM
I keep getting out bid on eBay!!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 11:49:00 AM
I keep getting out bid on eBay!!

I hate when that happens!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: September 13, 2015, 09:35:20 PM
Not as easy as you thought it would be huh?  :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:25 AM
It's quite the challenge, I don't want to buy something that is regularly under $20, I'm going for a home run of a deal that would be beyond impressive for $20

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 11:37:35 AM
The PS4 came in, I just haven't had time to take the photos that I want.  I will do a comparison of all 3 current contenders tomorrow and get some great pics!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 02:15:45 AM
Whoa man has it been a busy week for me already!  My sincerest apologies for leaving the thread dead for so many days.  I have been in and out of Downtown Austin and the surrounding area for meetings and job interviews, I simply haven't had time to sit down and post much! 

I got two new interesting contenders this week, the aforementioned Squirt PS4 that I got used from a guy on Facebook for $15 shipped, and what I'm certain is a Wenger Cyclist for an even $20 at a pawn shop.  I've taken some pics to compare the PS4 with the P4, and I will take some better pics of the Cyclist as time allows this week. 

The scales are a little, warped?  I think there's just dirt under them or something.  All the tools are in spectacular condition, and the knife blade is in awesome shape with what appears to be a factory edge! The toothpick is gone though.

Here is a side by side of the Squirts.

I personally like the P4 better, but I have to admit the scissors are really nice to have and really complete the package on the PS4. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 03:02:30 AM
Interesting find!

Nice to see a larger classic Wenger making the list!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 03:42:43 AM
That's not a Cyclist though. A Cyclist is a 3 layered SAK, knife/nailfile, wrench/phillips, openers.

This is a Mountain Bike or Biker 37.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Mountain+Bike
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:57:54 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #38 on: September 17, 2015, 12:24:56 PM
I was afraid of that!  I wasn't really sure about it, but I had to guess!

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #39 on: September 25, 2015, 09:10:40 PM

Just got my leatherman ps4 in the mail. Got it off eBay for 15.50 with free shipping. I will carry it this weekend and report back Sunday night. I have a squirt without scissors ✂, so this will be a nice addition.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 10:13:47 PM
Nice score!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: September 25, 2015, 11:36:39 PM
Squirt is always a good choice,  especially for under $20!

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #42 on: September 26, 2015, 09:10:28 AM
Unfortunately, the name is now associated with something totally different, that became fashionable/popular/expected during the past few years....  :facepalm:

I doubt that they would have named it Squirt if it was coming out now..
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: September 26, 2015, 06:39:07 PM
I like Squirt...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #44 on: September 26, 2015, 10:40:44 PM
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #45 on: September 27, 2015, 04:27:10 AM
You guys are terrible! 

I am heading into town in a few days to find my last candidate for this challenge, that is, unless something on Ebay wins me over first....

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #46 on: September 29, 2015, 11:53:55 AM
You guys are terrible! 

I am heading into town in a few days to find my last candidate for this challenge, that is, unless something on Ebay wins me over first....
You could always grab the Irwin vise grips multitool from lowes, it's 19.98. They look like a horrible idea, but actually function pretty well.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 02:29:00 AM
The final contender is on it's way to me!  ETA Friday evening.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #48 on: October 04, 2015, 04:43:19 PM
The last prize arrived yesterday!  This one's a sweet Vic Silvertech huntsman.  It's in really good shape, just a bit gunky from pocket carry and being used to cut tape.  Toothpick and tweezers are present, but the pin is missing.  All in all, it's an awesome knife, scored for just under $20 shipped to my door!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:45:39 PM by Mercury »
Sean

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #49 on: October 04, 2015, 04:57:59 PM
The last prize arrived yesterday!  This one's a sweet Vic Silvertech huntsman.  It's in really good shape, just a bit gunky from pocket carry and being used to cut tape.  Toothpick and tweezers are present, but the pin is missing.  All in all, it's an awesome knife, scored for just under $20 shipped to my door!

(Image removed from quote.)
Love those Silvertech scales.
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #50 on: October 04, 2015, 06:28:15 PM

Me too!  Makes me want to order a set for my explorer...

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #51 on: October 04, 2015, 06:30:20 PM

I have 2 Climbers with them. I wonder how cool they'd look on a Swisschamp :D
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #52 on: October 04, 2015, 09:57:45 PM

I have 2 Climbers with them. I wonder how cool they'd look on a Swisschamp :D

Bet they'd look sweet!  Ok, now I'm itching for some silver tech scales.  Anyone know a good place to get them?  Felinevet doesn't have them in his store.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #53 on: October 04, 2015, 10:07:12 PM
Sooooo do we have a winner?  I'm not sure!

Here's the list of contenders I bought for this challenge:

Vic Executive
LM Squirt P4
LM Squirt PS4
Wenger Mountain Bike
Victorinox Silver Tech Huntsman

As far as functionality goes, it's a real toss up.  The Mountain bike has the most function, but it's also the heaviest and for me, it wouldn't make it into my regular rotation simply because half the tool is dedicated to mountain biking, the rest I can get in a SAK that's half the size.  I guess the P4 and PS4 come next, as they have pliers, drivers, and blades, but the PS4 wins out with the scissors.  Purely on nostalgia and form I'd pick the P4.  BUT, since buying the Vic Executive the for the first contender, I've bought one of my own and carried it every day and I love it.  It even ousted my minichamp out of my pocket because it sits better next to my wallet.  Form wins out again, and since it has the blades, scissors, nailfile, and tweezers, it sees more regular use than my Leatherman does. 

The Huntsman was the best value I think, seeing as a Silvertech goes for twice the price new and it's pretty sweet.  The only thing is, I've never liked the Huntsman pattern all that much, because I don't use the saw on a SAK enough to warrant the extra bulk.  I choose my explorer if I want a 4 layer SAK. 

My favorite on this list is clearly the Executive, followed by the P4.  What are your opinions?

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: October 08, 2015, 01:04:27 AM
I vote the wenger, since it it's the most interesting tool that you purchased :)

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #55 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:02 AM
Can't wait to see which one wins. Thank you for taking the time to do this bud.  :tu:

If you wan't to get rid of the Wenger after the challenge is done let me know.   :salute:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #56 on: October 08, 2015, 01:35:34 AM
No worries, it was a ton of fun!

As for the fate of the contenders, that's up to Grant as it was his cash that paid for them.  (I'm kinda partial to the blue P4... :D)

I'm still not sure as to which one wins, but I'm inclined to say the Wenger, because it's both an oddball and it appears that it's at least double the price I paid for it.  If there are no objections, we can make it official!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 08, 2015, 01:42:04 AM
I'm still not sure as to which one wins, but I'm inclined to say the Wenger, because it's both an oddball and it appears that it's at least double the price I paid for it.  If there are no objections, we can make it official!
What, your not going to do anything with them? These tools at least deserve an arbitrary test before you declare a winner, to make sure they all work and... stuff...

Also, should that huntsman suddenly break (or not) I'll happily take it off your hands... I'll even let you keep the scales
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:44:49 AM by sLaughterMed »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 03:12:22 AM
What, your not going to do anything with them? These tools at least deserve an arbitrary test before you declare a winner, to make sure they all work and... stuff...

Also, should that huntsman suddenly break (or not) I'll happily take it off your hands... I'll even let you keep the scales

As much as I would love to do a test for each, I'm pretty sure that would take a good while!  I am a tad curious as to how useful the Wenger would be, I actually found myself needing a tool to remove a chain from a motor on a Towel folder at work, and the Wenger has one. 

Yea, those silver tech scales are  :drool:  I want a set for my explorer.   :gimme:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #59 on: November 05, 2015, 12:26:32 PM
Well folks, the time has come to see if we can resell these tools, and what they go for.  I have listed them all on Ebay, at modest starting prices.  I'm a tad late in linking them here, so please forgive me.  One tool has already sold, the Wenger Mountain Bike, and it went for $26. 

Here are the links so you all can follow the progress.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Executive-pocketknife-/141817592000?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141817591138?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141817590318?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141817589519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%