Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$2 Challenge- Contender #7

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$2 Challenge- Contender #7
on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:54 PM
Contender #7 arrived the other day, and I have to say, I pretty well considered it a bit of a joke because of the "self defense" aspects of it.

Mind you, the original Eat'n Tool was also designed as a defensive weapon, and I like that one, so I suppose it's not as corny as I was expecting.  More on it's ninja pedigree in a moment.

One thing I really noticed about this one is the finish on it is quite nice.  The edges are all beveled off giving Contender #7 a nice feel.  It's almost like someone actually put some thought into this.

Additionally, the wrench cutouts are quite crisp and cleanly cut.  I haven't actually checked the sizes with a set of calipers yet so I can't confirm the sizes, but they seem like they would actually be functional, and the bottle opener end looks like it would allow for some decent leverage.

Getting back to the ninja-ish feature of Contender #7, the rounded edges mean that this tool doesn't dig into your fingers when you fit it between your ring and middle finger.

However, as with most "weapons" of this type, it takes up far too much space between your fingers, pushing the relatively small bones of your hand apart.  Actually attempting to make contact a target with a weapon like this is more likely to break your fingers and/or dislocate your finger bones from your hand bones meaning you aren't going to be able to deliver a follow up blow.  And, while your opponent has a nasty puncture wound which may or may not be fatal, you are probably going to require surgery, physiotherapy and rehabilitation to regain the use of your hand.  Doesn't seem like a great trade off to me.

All in all I spent a whopping $1.94 on this tool.  Was it worth it?  I don't know yet.  It is a functional bottle opener and the screwdriver tip seems ok.  As a self defense tool I think there are a lot better options, and I would not suggest anyone wastes money on this tool if they feel like they are at risk.  If the wrenches are any good then I will have to say that yes, this tool is indeed worth the $1.94.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: $2 Challenge- Contender #7
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:06:45 AM
I actually have one of these  :D

I've not tried using the wrench, I've not tried using the screwdriver, and I can't even remember ever trying the bottle opener. I bought this tool for one reason and one reason only, and that was to see if it would actually make it through to a UK address, or if not, what would happen.

As it happens it make it through just fine. I opened it up, laughed at it, and threw it in a drawer. Test complete  :D :D

It'll be interesting to hear if you actually find it useful, but I can't see me ever putting mine into active service  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:53:22 PM
As push daggers are illegal here I also wondered if this one would make it.  I was a bit surprised that it did.  Maybe because it's not sharpened it isn't considered dangerous?

:think:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:38:57 AM
exactly. It classifies as a T-handle screwdriver. I got one of these a while back and was discussing this with one of my in-laws who is a Police Officer in a city with some pretty restrictive knife laws, and that was what we came up with.

As for using it as a weapon...It is too wide where it passes through the fingers. I have tested it on a ham and while it does work it hurts a lot more than any other punch dagger I've tried.
 My favorite is the Cold Steel Urban Pal but it needed some file work to round the corners on the tang when new. My Urban pal had such sharp corners it scraped all the skin off between the fingers when used in testing.
I was so lucky my boss over looked me ignoring the weapons policy when I worked at the meat market, especially when processing trash. >:D
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 11:55:28 AM
I've never been a fan of push knives and daggers.  Yeah they may look neat but anyone with any real world fight experience will tell you that punching faces/heads is bad because it's a bunch of little bones versus a big bone, and the big bone always wins.  That's why boxers and UFC fighters wear gloves. 

Putting a lever between those small bones and adding a percussive force to the other end of that lever is just a bad thing all around.

Def

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 01:14:44 PM
You are right and I know from experience that a "Boxers Fracture" sucks.
My general thinking for push daggers, krambits, and knuckle knives is that they are meant for body shots. Soft areas with little bone.

That said I do not carry nor endorse carrying of a "fighting knife" unless absolutely necessary for the simple reason of legal defensibility. Real knife fights start like sissy slap fights of avoidance and devolve to messy affairs once someone commits. Do you really want to answer a grand jury asking "why did you stab him 13 times?" with "because he kept coming at me". That is the worst kind of imagery to present. No mater how justified and defendable the situation may have been you will be crucified for using a knife.

That's also why you buy the Buck110 not the knock off named Terminator 3000. The name is bad imagery even if it is the same knife. This actually happened in one defense case in the mid 90's were the prosecutor exalted the deadly fighting knife by its wicked name.
That's a good reason not to decorate your gun with things like the punisher skull...says the guy with a gun that has a punisher skull.
:facepalm:

An old boss who royally screwed me justified it by saying the following sage words;
"It does not matter what was or was not actually said or done or who saw it. All that matters is what is generally perceived."

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:25:04 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 01:39:25 PM
And that is the exact reason why when I start designing a knife line I am going to name the models "The Huggy Kitten," "The Fluffy Bunny" and "The Cuddly Puppy."

At the very least, no one will be able to keep a straight face through the entire trial...

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 04:09:03 PM
My copy has a more rounded tip.

As for using this as a weapon...I guess you could do it. I mean, folks have used their keys in defense before.

I agree with you guys...except to poke at soft tissues, it would be more effective than keys.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 03:04:16 AM
If I was likely to use this as a weapon I think I would use the pointy end as a handle and use my keys (attached of course) as a flail.

I wouldn't even want to strike soft tissue with this.  Shock on impact, even of a soft target, especially on even a slight angle is going to cause significant and possibly permanent damage to my hand.  And I like my hands too much for that.

Def

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 07:29:17 AM
Just to interject for a moment:

Using keys or anything attached to your keychain as a weapon is not a very good idea.

Why?  Well, what does your keyring have?  Your house key, your car key, the key to your place of business - access to sanctuary.  Break, bend and or drop them and you're in big trouble.

/sidetrack

That said, I'm with Def - I'm surprised it got passed customs but sometimes they just don't care if it doesn't have a sharp bit on it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%