Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Mega84

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: The Mega84
Reply #90 on: September 01, 2015, 10:24:51 PM
Mega84 v1 is complete and operational

:nanadance:

Now, that's quite an unusual SAK toolset, especially clad in nylon scales! No key ring tho'  :rofl:

If I feel ambitious later (a lot later  :P) I might have a go at making my own scales, and seeing if I can get a pin and pen in there too  :D you're right though, no keyring. There was one, but I ground it away...... weight reduction  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #91 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:53 PM
Oh, and I've discovered that if you use the scissors on your nails and cut them too short so you can't open the bottle opener  :facepalm: the inbuilt nail nick access tool works very well..... tweezers  :D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #92 on: September 02, 2015, 04:09:36 PM
See, I said it'd be good. :tu:  I pictured Al, with a beer in one hand, fag in the other with a maniacal grin, frantically bashing away at some SAK parts on his doorstep in the middle of the night, lit only by a headtorch, surrounded by dismembered SAKs. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #93 on: September 02, 2015, 04:12:01 PM
See, I said it'd be good. :tu:  I pictured Al, with a beer in one hand, fag in the other with a maniacal grin, frantically bashing away at some SAK parts on his doorstep in the middle of the night, lit only by a headtorch, surrounded by dismembered SAKs. :D

Cup of tea and a roll up, but otherwise quite close  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #94 on: September 02, 2015, 08:38:03 PM
Very clever with the Phillips   :tu:

Thanks Tommy  :cheers: It took a while to figure out how to make it work, but it took a lot longer to get the right donors together  :D

Ya very nice! 

Its funny I am tackling the same issue right now on a 91mm job that needs both backside phillips and corkscrew.  The problem is I have less space to fit the phillips, so I milled it flat on each side, (kind of looks like a flat leatherman phillips now) but it should fit in space I have for it now. Im using 2x saw backsprings with backtool cutouts to house the phillips.  It should work but it hasnt gone together yet.

Cheers Bob  :cheers: I was originally hoping to get away with not having to add that second liner, but as it happens they were needed anyway for access to the nail nicks on the cap lifter and nail file. They're still tight, but doable with my nails, and would have been impossible with one liner. The awl worked out well too with just a sliver ground off the kick :tu:

Are you using an inline Phillips for that mod, or have you milled it offset? I wouldn't imagine you could afford to lose much off the tang side of a backspring Phillips  :think:

I got my version done, here's what it ended up looking like.

I only shaved off 0.020" from the pivot side, and more from the other side.  It technically less strong than before, but a compromise to fit it in the space I had.  :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: September 02, 2015, 09:02:57 PM
 :salute:

I figured you'd have to offset machine it  ;) It's ended up a little like the Phillips on the Bucktool  :D It won't cause your customer any issues though, even the reduced thickness tang should still take more torque than a normal peened assembly would allow anyway  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #96 on: September 03, 2015, 01:38:01 AM
After a couple of days carry, there's a bit of side to side play in the main blades, and there's certainly more daylight between the springs. I think the pre peened heads done with the hammer drill, have "settled" in their respective bushings. I had a suspicion that might happen when I was peening it up.

As regards the overall concept, version 1 has certainly proved itself though, and the knife was not meant to be considered finished at this stage anyway. I'm still not happy about the nail nick access on the bottle opener either. Yes, I can dig it out with the tweezers if necessary, but that's still a bit sloppy of me to accept that.

Looking at where the nail nick sits on the serrated blade in front of it, this could afford to drop a couple of millimetres, as it's not got to sit over the cap lifter or scissors like on other knives. This means I could adjust the kick on that blade slightly so it sits lower, although I would also have to shave some off the segmental spacer next to the nail file to give it the clearance it needs without fouling the blade

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #97 on: September 04, 2015, 11:15:31 PM
:think: Could you post a pic of the nailnicks, showing the SAK diagonally from the pivots? I can't visualise the thing in my head.

One thing I now, that 84mm mod is probably just a bit thicker than a 91mm Ranger!
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #98 on: September 04, 2015, 11:32:23 PM
I'll give it a go.....

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: September 05, 2015, 12:05:00 AM
Ok, here goes..... four pictures

Pic 1
From the end you can see the additional liner has improved access a little bit, but even so your thumbnail is a little too vertical from the bottle opener nail nick going up over the spine of the serrated blade in front

Pic 2
With the serrated blade open, the bottle opener nail nick is perfectly accessible over the top of the nail file. Not shown is that the fail file's nail nick falls exactly where the slight "dip" is at the meeting of the bottle opener and can opener, and I can dig this out with my index finger just fine.

Pic 3
With the serrated blade closed, too much of the bottle opener's nail nick is obscured. At the moment the easiest thing to do is either open the serrated blade first, or use the tweezers to dig the tool out

Pic 4
If the serrated blade could be lowered slightly into the knife, it's nail nick would still be accessible, but access to the bottle opener would be improved
IMG_20150904_224918_1423_1067.jpg
* IMG_20150904_224918_1423_1067.jpg (Filesize: 35.08 KB)
IMG_20150904_224837_1423_1067.jpg
* IMG_20150904_224837_1423_1067.jpg (Filesize: 47.67 KB)
IMG_20150904_224859_1423_1067.jpg
* IMG_20150904_224859_1423_1067.jpg (Filesize: 50.93 KB)
IMG_20150904_224526_1423_1067.jpg
* IMG_20150904_224526_1423_1067.jpg (Filesize: 41.56 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: September 05, 2015, 12:08:37 AM
... and yes, this would be fractionally thicker than a 91mm Ranger, but 7mm shorter.... and therefore probably lighter

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: September 05, 2015, 12:11:07 AM
Oh, and one more thing I should add, the can opener worked perfectly fine on a standard sized can earlier today  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: September 05, 2015, 07:29:29 AM
:rofl: BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Grip pin in chuck, set to hammer, and "drill" the side of an axe head at a slight angle! Just enough pressure to get the hammer action to kick in, but not enough to bend the pin. A perfectly pre-peened pin in seconds  :D

Genius idea!   :salute:

:cheers:

Everything’s adjustable

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #103 on: September 10, 2015, 01:56:51 PM
Ok, here goes..... four pictures

Sorry it took me so many days to reply  :-[ That life thing gets in the way  :ahhh

I don't have a real solution, just wondering if moving the openers layer next to the other knife blade could work.

Otherwise, I'd be tempted to just drop something like a mini-sewing kit under the bottle opener to make it stand a little higher, in case that improved nailnick accessibility. Lame, I know  :facepalm:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #104 on: September 10, 2015, 02:06:35 PM
No problem at all  :cheers:

The opener layer needs to be in that position. The backspring has the cut out for the standard awl which I've used to accommodate the extra thickness of the backspring Phillips.

Next time this knife comes apart, I will be looking at lowering the height of the knife in front, and I have had an idea for making the bottle opener sit slightly higher by reworking the tang slightly, but I haven't proven the concept yet.

I know what you mean about life getting in the way, that's why there's been no more changes to this yet  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: January 16, 2016, 07:43:56 PM
After a couple of days carry, there's a bit of side to side play in the main blades, and there's certainly more daylight between the springs. I think the pre peened heads done with the hammer drill, have "settled" in their respective bushings. I had a suspicion that might happen when I was peening it up.

As regards the overall concept, version 1 has certainly proved itself though, and the knife was not meant to be considered finished at this stage anyway.

<snip>

The Mega84 has been taken out of service  :-\

Yesterday I developed a bit of a creak which sounded like a liner moving on a pin, and at that point I decided to put it aside until I do V2 of this knife.

I had only ever intended this version to be proof of concept, which it has passed with flying colours. However, there's obviously been some movement of the pins, either due to incorrect peening, or the peened heads pulling into the bushings. The original plan for V2 was for brass liners and nylon scales again, but I'll probably end up moving straight to the final version with homemade scales I reckon.

Won't be anytime soon, as there's too much other stuff I have to do first. I'm quite happy that I managed to get some good use out of this before it started developing issues though  :)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: August 23, 2016, 10:11:48 AM
:bump:

I read the whole thread but didn't see anything about where you got the serrated blade. (Maybe it's there but I didnt find it) I know a weekender has the serrated blade...that fits on 84mm? Or is there an 84mm model with serrated blade? Or did you just serrate your own? Looks like a factory serration.

I'm not doing as crazy of stuff with the back tools, just wanted to put serrated blade/nailfile on a backspring I have from a Lumberjack. (No back tools.)

I have all the other donor knives descaled, using Golfer, Sportsman and Lumberjack.  Considering reshaping  91mm metal saw if I can get another 84mm WS backspring.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #107 on: August 23, 2016, 11:40:43 AM
I'm not sure where Fiddy got his serrated blade, but there is/was a serrated Recruit: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Recruit

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:45 AM
I'm not sure where Fiddy got his serrated blade, but there is/was a serrated Recruit: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Recruit
Thanks..

:tu: Just did a quick ebay check... $75 USD! But I will keep looking now that I know they exist.  Seems like in the pics the serrated blade is longer than the plain blade...I have a regular 91mm main blade here I can see how it fits and how much would need to be cut, maybe just get a weekender.

I have done some serrations by hand but I'd really like a factory look, maybe I can build some kind of a jig for spacing....maybe do a run of serrated blades? I dream too big.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #109 on: August 24, 2016, 05:25:45 AM
Thanks..

:tu: Just did a quick ebay check... $75 USD! But I will keep looking now that I know they exist.  Seems like in the pics the serrated blade is longer than the plain blade...I have a regular 91mm main blade here I can see how it fits and how much would need to be cut, maybe just get a weekender.

I have done some serrations by hand but I'd really like a factory look, maybe I can build some kind of a jig for spacing....maybe do a run of serrated blades? I dream too big.
It might be an 85mm Wenger blade. Wenger has done a lot more serrated blades than Vic in the past.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #110 on: October 11, 2016, 02:51:00 PM

Sorry, only just noticed this  :oops: the serrated blade did indeed come from a serrated recruit, which I got from the trade forums here ages ago

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #111 on: October 12, 2016, 11:06:47 AM
:woohoo:  I win again. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #112 on: October 12, 2016, 11:30:08 AM
:woohoo:  I win again. :D

:cheers:

The five donors were:

Serrated Recruit
Salesman
Sportsman
MFV+
Pioneer Rancher

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #113 on: August 18, 2017, 06:41:21 AM
The Mega 84 is awesome.  Great mix of tools.  This would effectively replace the need for me to carry a 58mm for finger nail duty,  and would cover food prep too. I want one.  Too bad I don't have mad modfing skills and a bunch of parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #114 on: August 18, 2017, 02:29:39 PM
Thanks Mizedog.  :cheers: it took me a while to accumulate the right donors for it, but as for modding skills, it is one of only two knives that I have built from parts. I am still very much a newbie in that respect.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD