Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is a Flash light Good Enough For Outdoors ?

00 Offline cool123

Is a Flash light Good Enough For Outdoors ?
on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:00 AM
I have been travelling much of the time in the forest during my camping and survival trips. I wonder that keeping a flash light would be a good option to rescue from any unforeseen emergency to see your way through when its gets dark.

I am planning to get some good flash light and found some on the web:

LINKS REMOVED

There are many option like Led lenser, maglite.

Suggest some good one to pick.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:32:27 PM by zoidberg »
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Is a Flash light Good Enough For Outdoors ?
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:30:41 AM
It all depends on what you need.

You need to specify :

Brightness (100Lumens should be enough really)
Battery type (size, number, type NiMh-alkaline-Liion => rechargeable or not)
size of light
Zoom?
running time at a certain brightness
price
weight
brand
modes (low, high - how low and how high, SOS mode?)

and so on

2 lights will be better than 1.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:42:50 AM
Yes, it is vital.  I always carry some form of light source whenever I go outdoors, for both navigation in dark, signaling for rescue/emergency or just camp chores.

Personally I'm not that familiar with Led lenser, and not entirely sure they are the most popular brand among flashlight enthusiasts.  But I do recommend to check out offerings from Fenix, 4sevens and Surefire.  I have used these brands for many years, and many of their products do receive pretty good review.

For general hiking/camp work, I do like using headlamps.  Petzl and Black Diamond do make some good ones, and I do use of these brand on a regular basis and they are quite reliable.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:46:08 AM
Fenix, 4sevens, Surefire, Nitecore, Olight are all good choices

I have a few Ultrafire, Trustfire and Smiling Shark and they are actually quite good for the price.

Just make sure it has a CREE LED... using both LiIon and NiMh batteries would be a plus (LiIon are nice and strong, but NiMh are easily available and very cheap to have a bunch as back-up).

Not entirely convinced about Led Lenser and Maglite price/quality ratio... both make excellent quality flashlights, but they are quite expensive, not very bright (especially Maglite) and use funky batteries (especially Led Lenser).

For me a flashlight has to be powerful, light, resilient, power-efficient and have easily available batteries... I don't care much if paint scratches, button wobbles, it's not aircraft-grade aluminum or if it doesn't have 5 years warranty...

ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE FLASHLIGHT!!!
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:37 PM
Fenix, 4sevens, Surefire, Nitecore, Olight are all good choices

I have a few Ultrafire, Trustfire and Smiling Shark and they are actually quite good for the price.

Just make sure it has a CREE LED... using both LiIon and NiMh batteries would be a plus (LiIon are nice and strong, but NiMh are easily available and very cheap to have a bunch as back-up).

Not entirely convinced about Led Lenser and Maglite price/quality ratio... both make excellent quality flashlights, but they are quite expensive, not very bright (especially Maglite) and use funky batteries (especially Led Lenser).

For me a flashlight has to be powerful, light, resilient, power-efficient and have easily available batteries... I don't care much if paint scratches, button wobbles, it's not aircraft-grade aluminum or if it doesn't have 5 years warranty...

ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE FLASHLIGHT!!!

Plus... "aircraft grade aluminum"? They were using 6000 series in Japanese Zero fighters in WWII. Hardly some modern selling point. Plus, 7000 series is worlds stronger... :D

Source- quite a bit of research and experience with lacrosse sticks

Trust reviews, not advertisements ;)

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 12:25:24 PM
Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

I have had good success with Fenix, Thrunite and Nitecore for flashlights. For headlamps (a must in the bush IMO), I prefer Petzl.

Choice of model will come down to what options you have to have, what ones you can leave behind and how much you want to spend. Availability of brands/models in your area may also be a factor.

Also, be prepared to go through a few models before settling on what works for you.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 01:38:33 PM
I have been travelling much of the time in the forest during my camping and survival trips. I wonder that keeping a flash light would be a good option to rescue from any unforeseen emergency to see your way through when its gets dark.

I am planning to get some good flash light and found some on the web:

LINKS REMOVED

There are many option like Led lenser, maglite.

Suggest some good one to pick.

Sorry to have to pull your post and signature, but it is in violation of our forum policies on advertising.

As this is a privately owned and members funded forum we can't allow you to advertise for free here.

We have members here paying for the privilege to advertise and allowing you to do so for free wouldn't be fair to them.

If you have any more questions or would like arrange options for advertising, please contact Grant Lamontagne, the site owner via email.

Nice to have you with us and you can enjoy the forum and take part in the discussions, but don't advertise anymore until you've made arrangements to do so with the forum owner.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 02:00:26 PM
Anymore I carry a Stremlight Nano for back up I carry a headlight for my main light. I keep them in my cars for repairs. For out doors I have a 19.00 Energizer headlight it. Has four modes one red helps keep the bugs off you at night. The white light modes all dim. It is a big plus to have hands free light.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:11:55 AM
Every time I'm in the outdoors I say the motto :"Two is one, one is none". Another thing to consider is that colder weather can dramatically decrease battery life.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:50:29 AM

Carry one or two Zebralight Headlamps, each with one AA NiMh battery. You can program them to have an extremely low dim setting. That will cause your battery to last extremely long.

Rechargeable NiMh batteries are cheap and widely available, and are safer than rechargeable lithium batteries, as fas as I know.

Carry an extra GSM-telephone without SIM card in a sturdy, shockproof and water tight container. That will enable you to call the police or rescue service in an emergency, if your regular phone is not functioning anymore.

Carry two radio transceivers if you get out of GSM range.

Carry a solar charger plus spare batteries in a water tight and shockproof container.

Let friends at home know exactly what your route and time schedule will be, and contact them every night at the same time.

Adapt your analog compass to the region you are in. Don't rely on GPS only, because electronics may fail.

Water and shelter are more important than food.

Carry an emergency whistle.

Always have a buddy within whistle distance.   

Carry a dedicated survival kit and a compact survival handbook. Read this book in advance.

Protect yourself extremely well from dangerous tick-bites that can transmit infection with Lymes disease. 

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 05:50:02 AM
Quote from: Rico-2
Carry an extra GSM-telephone without SIM card in a sturdy, shockproof and water tight container. That will enable you to call the police or rescue service in an emergency, if your regular phone is not functioning anymore.

Carry a dedicated survival kit and a compact survival handbook. Read this book in advance.

Even if your primary telepone with SIM card in it, is lost, you can call the emergency number without a SIM card. This is the situation in many countries.

Carry an old school map of the region, because electronics are vulnerable.

Every team member should always know roughly the location on the map, for they might loose the group.

Carry a 5 ounce "mini survival-kit" attached to your body, in a small aluminum container or Altoids tin. So if your luggage is lost or stolen, and you loose the team, you still have this mini-kit on you.

Ask authorities beforehand what risks and warnings are present in the region for tourists. Or find this out on the internet.

Listen to the weather-forecast twice a day.

Select your team members wisely. Your lives may depend on each other.   

We should acknowledge our weaknesses in body, intelligence and character.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:57:06 AM by Rico-2 »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 12:42:58 PM
My issue with flashlights as a survival tool is the old adage that a flashlight is merely a place to store dead batteries.

Unless you have some method of preserving or recharging the batteries on a regular basis,  a flashlight is, at best, a short term solution.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 02:53:15 PM
My issue with flashlights as a survival tool is the old adage that a flashlight is merely a place to store dead batteries.

Unless you have some method of preserving or recharging the batteries on a regular basis,  a flashlight is, at best, a short term solution.

Def

Absolutely true, at the same time most survival situations are probably over within three days or so and rarely do they last a fortnight. Used sparsely and not at full power a full charge should give you plenty of time for signaling and such.

Speaking of extra batteries though, does anyone have a source for watertight battery holders? I just want to be able to bring one or two extra AAs but most I see are for around 6 batteries and usually for 18650s and the like.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 02:54:51 PM
First off, darkness is a state of mind and the human eye can adapt exceptionally well. So, put at least as much effort in getting comfortable in the dark as you put into finding/maintaining a flashlight... Black is not black and a rock looks different from wood, even when it is very dark. With a bit of practice you can navigate in the dark quite well. Working by touch is pretty intense but fun.

Of course that does not help signaling and I do recommend carrying a flashlight.
A small one on your keychain as plan B
Personally, I recommend something re-chargeable here like a NiteCore Tube

A larger one for primary use.
I heavily recommend the Olight S10R basically because of the points below:
CHARGING: Put it on the charging dock when you are at home, grab it when you leave and it will always be fully charged.
CLIP: With its reversed clip it can be attached to a baseball cap for hands-free usage.
Magnetic Tailstand: same as with the clip, for hands-free usage.
Modes: From firefly for long battery to super-bright if you need to search for something, modes give you versatility.
Size: If you are walking / hiking then you want to cut down on weight and the S10R is small with great function. If you are willing to go larger there is always the S30R II using the 18650 batteries.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:57:05 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 03:06:40 PM

Def

Absolutely true, at the same time most survival situations are probably over within three days or so and rarely do they last a fortnight. Used sparsely and not at full power a full charge should give you plenty of time for signaling and such.

Speaking of extra batteries though, does anyone have a source for watertight battery holders? I just want to be able to bring one or two extra AAs but most I see are for around 6 batteries and usually for 18650s and the like.
Flashlight? A plastic bag?
Country com has a nifty one

For AAA I use the container of a drill bit

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 04:36:11 PM
With a bit of practice you can navigate in the dark quite well. Working by touch is pretty intense but fun.

True, but working by touch and walking in the dark, can result in a serious accident, that may turn a holiday trip in a remote area into a nightmare.

CHARGING: Put it on the charging dock when you are at home, grab it when you leave and it will always be fully charged.

You can leave your house faster in a hurry, if the flashlight and other EDC is already sorted out in your bag. And then you cannot forget something in an emergency or disaster.

With its reversed clip it can be attached to a baseball cap for hands-free usage.

So if you forget to carry your baseball cap, you don't have a handsfree headlamp.
I prefer a Zebra headlamp, or a cheaper Fenix headlamp. Both with a headstrap and one AA battery:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product-category/headlamps/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:38:09 PM by Rico-2 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 04:48:21 PM
I have become more a fan of headlamp for outdoor use ( camping, hiking, emergency pack ).  Darkness is at first limiting but as Ether mentions your eyes can adapt.  Am I saying you will develop "night vision"?  No, not at all but you will be able to move about. 

Many of todays lights have great runt times, 60-120 hours.  If you are stuck for example for 5 days depending on season you should be good to go with a few back up batteries.  Carrying spare batteries that hold a charge for a very long time is easy enough.

Add in a back up light and you should be set.

I carry a headlamp and 2 hand held lights.  One light does have the reversible clip for ball caps.  I could also rig a head strap with cordage. 

Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 05:22:05 PM
Headlamps save much battery time, because chores are done much faster with two hands, and when the light-spot is always perfectly directed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:24:59 PM by Rico-2 »

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 05:31:31 PM
Unless you have some method of preserving or recharging the batteries on a regular basis, a flashlight is, at best, a short term solution.

I agree. In a planned survival situation, one needs a wind up flash-light with solar panel as a backup IMO.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 05:33:20 PM
Headlamps save much battery time, because chores are done much faster with two hands, and when the light-spot is always perfectly directed.

Except when you want to look at your police friends without blinding them...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 05:58:16 PM

:facepalm:

OMG my camping buddy always does this to me.  Pitch black out and BAM eye searing light pointed directly at me.  Is the fricken tilt not working?   
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 06:08:09 PM
With a bit of practice you can navigate in the dark quite well. Working by touch is pretty intense but fun.

True, but working by touch and walking in the dark, can result in a serious accident, that may turn a holiday trip in a remote area into a nightmare.
I see that more as a plan C.

You can leave your house faster in a hurry, if the flashlight and other EDC is already sorted out in your bag. And then you cannot forget something in an emergency or disaster.
I'm heavily pro checklist before you run off. Because like you could forget the flashlight you could also forget the bag.
Also an uncharged flashlight is pretty much useless, so having a convenient way of maintaining a charged flashlight trumps the chance of forgetting.

With its reversed clip it can be attached to a baseball cap for hands-free usage.

So if you forget to carry your baseball cap, you don't have a handsfree headlamp.
I prefer a Zebra headlamp, or a cheaper Fenix headlamp. Both with a headstrap and one AA battery:

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product-category/headlamps/
Correct, I however like a flashlight that can do all my tasks. I also consider a baseball cap, basic gear and honestly if I had to choose between flashlight and baseball cap, I would choose the cap (cycle, hike or be outdoors in poor weather and you know why).
Anyhow the S10R is small enough so in case of an emergency you can hold it with your teeth. With the reverse clip I can also mount it on my bike fender.
Also, we are back at the emergency list, you will forget stuff in an emergency and only a checklist will help to avoid that (unless you forget you have a checklist :P).

As MT users we know that there is no best/perfect (well, technically there is the Spirit :angel:), same goes for flashlights. I think the S10R is a great compromise of all functions/applications. It has of course short-comings:
- Takes no standard batteries (AA/AAA)
- Does not throw that far and cannot be focused
- No colors, no UV, no IR...

Personally, I have switched to a Nitecore SRT5, simply because I use 18650 batteries for everything (charging my phone, bike-light). I plan on getting a S30R II soonish.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 06:09:54 PM
Unless you have some method of preserving or recharging the batteries on a regular basis, a flashlight is, at best, a short term solution.

I agree. In a planned survival situation, one needs a wind up flash-light with solar panel as a backup IMO.
Those things are clunky and bad (I'm open to be corrected on this one though). Better have a backup battery.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 06:12:00 PM

:facepalm:

OMG my camping buddy always does this to me.  Pitch black out and BAM eye searing light pointed directly at me.  Is the fricken tilt not working?
:D true that

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 06:55:44 PM
my camping buddy always does this to me. Pitch black out and BAM eye searing light pointed directly at me.
For short distances, there are dim settings on many headlamps. This problem can also be solved with the red light that some headlamps have. Red light should not affect your night vision.

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 07:01:11 PM
Those things are clunky and bad

Seek in Google-images: mini crank flashlight

00 Offline Rico-2

Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 07:21:23 PM
I'm heavily pro checklist before you run off. Because like you could forget the flashlight you could also forget the bag.

In a real emergency you may have to leave your house within thirty seconds. Like a house fire, gas leak, explosion, burglary, wildfire, etc.

Then there is no time to read your checklist. You can put on your shoes and coat, grab your EDC-bag or bug-out-bag and jump out of your house. It is worthwhile to train this in different weather conditions.

The flashlight in your EDC-bag and bug-out-bag should get freshly charged batteries at least every month.

Anyhow the S10R is small enough so in case of an emergency you can hold it with your teeth.

With your lips would be safer, and even then your front teeth could be chipped badly if you fell. Or your tongue might freeze to it in heavy frost.

Personally, I have switched to a Nitecore SRT5, simply because I use 18650 batteries for everything (charging my phone, bike-light). I plan on getting a S30R II soonish.

In a disaster situation or on a holiday trip it may be extremely difficult to buy lithium batteries. While NiMh and alkaline AA-batteries are everywhere.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:42:39 PM by Rico-2 »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 07:38:41 PM
I have lights from Fenix and FourSeven.....booth are excellent brands IMO.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 09:40:30 PM
Those things are clunky and bad

Seek in Google-images: mini crank flashlight
Had one of these... IMHO utter garbage :td:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 10:01:34 PM

In a real emergency you may have to leave your house within thirty seconds. Like a house fire, gas leak, explosion, burglary, wildfire, etc.

Then there is no time to read your checklist. You can put on your shoes and coat, grab your EDC-bag or bug-out-bag and jump out of your house. It is worthwhile to train this in different weather conditions.
Except for the wildfire none of these situations require you to survive alone or a prolonged time.
In any of those situations you go to a friend / neighbors / relatives house. Even in wild-fire situation you should be able to get to a safe place, the trick is getting there.

In a disaster situation or on a holiday trip it may be extremely difficult to buy lithium batteries. While NiMh and alkaline AA-batteries are everywhere.
The original premise was outdoors survival trip. Personally, I hardly use a flashlight so a tiny keychain flashlight will do.

The premise of getting alkaline batteries everywhere is not right either. In case of a disaster people will empty out stores quickly. So, better rely on what you got stored.

Personally I go with:
Re-chargeable for EDC, short trips, holidays etc. also better for the environment.
Traditional NiMh (and buy quality, cheapos will just go bad) for longer term storage.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:02:46 PM by Etherealicer »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%