Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$2 Challenge- Contender #1

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$2 Challenge- Contender #1
on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:33 PM
Contender #1 may or may not fit the bill as a multitool- it is just a double carabiner with a bottle opener cut out of each end.  While I suppose it is a multitool of sorts since it has multiple functions, I think generally users here insist on a bit more options before really counting it.

But, it is part of the challenge so let’s take a closer look.  One neat feature of this tool is the small plastic sliders on each gate.  These can be slipped up to allow the gate to open and then slipped down to lock the gate closed.  This actually makes it a bit more functional than the closest competitor that I can think of- the Nite Ize S- Biner Ahh.

Cut out of the ends of the carabiners are dual bottle openers.  Frankly I’d rather have seen a bottle opener at one end and some other function at the opposite end as I doubt even the most hardened beer drinkers require two bottle openers at a time.  This struck me as a waste- if they’d even done a can opener at the opposite end I’d have felt that it was worthwhile, but a screwdriver or pry bar would have been even more appreciated. 

And how does the bottle opener work?  Well, in the interests of science I decided to give it a shot and open an adult oriented beverage.  It was somewhat unremarkable, requiring three separate bites on the cap to remove it.  So, the result is that this has two bottle openers, neither of which is really all that good.

I paid $1.88 for this one, and I have to say it’s probably worth that, but not much more.  The locking carabiner gates are very nice to have, but the double awful bottle openers really take the fun out of this one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: $2 Challenge- Contender #1
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:49:40 AM
Nope, I don't get the logic of two bottle openers either. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 02:43:50 AM
At least if they were decent bottle openers that would be tolerable.

Doubling up on a crappy tool just seems like a bad idea.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 03:27:39 AM
Totally pointless lol.

How about a strength test? Or are you saving it for an add on?

Also. I feel like the packaging alone is nicer that the tool.........

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 03:44:59 AM
A strength test is indeed a possibility.  As a carabiner it seems quite sturdy and I like the gate locks.  Really, the drawback to this is the bottle opener.  If the bottle openers weren't there and this was simply a carabiner then I think I would like it a lot.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%