Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$2 Challenge- Contender #2

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$2 Challenge- Contender #2
on: September 09, 2015, 11:45:55 PM
Contender #2 is interesting- it is a copy of the Timberline Swiss Key Tool designed by Roger Remund, aka SwissBianco, aka +B.  Except that it might not be a copy.

Like the Eat’n Tool (Contender #14) copy, this one is marked with all of the correct markings found to be on the original.  The differences were obvious once Contender #14 was compared to the original, legitimate Eat’n Tool, but I don’t have an original Swiss Key Tool to compare Contender #2 to, so I will have to make my observations without any reference.

Contender #14 does not appear to be badly finished- not great, but well in keeping with what I have seen from other Timberline products I own.  I accidentally purchased three of these, and there is not a difference in quality between them, which lends support to my theory that these may actually be legitimate versions. 

Moving onto the tool itself, as I mentioned before, this is one of those tools where the designer tried to jam pack too many functions into a tool without much thought on how to actually use it.  That is a common problem with one piece tool designs and isn’t limited to this particular unit though. 

The most obvious example of this mentality with this tool is the blade on the back of the bottle opener.  In the absence of any leverage (opener lip is too far back) this type of opener usually requires the user to place their thumb on the spine of the opener- which with this model is going to result in a badly lacerated thumb.

Also, if you try to use the strap cutter or oxygen wrench you are probably also going to encounter the blade edge too.  Also, why an oxygen wrench?  It seems to me that a ¼” hex driver would have made a lot more sense so that you could loosen computer case screws or use screwdriver bits with it.

Lastly, Contender #2 comes with a molded plastic sheath, textured to attempt to mimic kydex.  It seems to hold the tool well enough, but I think if you were to use the lanyard hole to attach a lanyard there is a pretty good chance you would lose it at some point.

Contender #2 cost a whopping $1.66, and I have to say that it is kind of iffy as to whether it is actually worth that.  On the one hand I like that it has a sheath that means it can be quickly removed from keys (or EDC bag or however you want to carry it) and used for whatever you need to use it for.  On the other hand you will have to get it cheap because you will require an awful lot of band aids if you actually try to use it.  All in all, I’d probably lean away from this one, even though it is one of the cheapest offerings.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%