Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$2 Challenge- Contender #4

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$2 Challenge- Contender #4
on: September 10, 2015, 11:37:54 PM
This tool is one I was looking forward to as it looks like a sea horse and therefore could appeal to a lot of people who wouldn’t ordinarily carry/use tools like this.  It looks nice, and on paper it has some seemingly good functions, but how good is it really?

I started with the bottle opener, because, well, bottle openers are the most common multitool functions, and is perhaps the most enjoyable to test!  Contender #4 swiped off the cap from an adult oriented beverage in one lift, as you would expect from a larger type bottle opener.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is at least tied for best bottle opener in this challenge with Contender #7.

Going beyond the bottle opener, there are a series of wrench cutouts, a strap cutter and a flathead screwdriver which actually are arranged in logical fashion and gives Contender #4 its distinctive shape.  Each of these seems well formed and functional.

There’s one other function on this one that I was kind of wondering about- the round hole that functions as the bottle opener also has radiant lines that could potentially function as a protractor or inclinometer.  I’m not overly certain where this would come in handy, but I really like the idea of having it, especially since it doesn’t add weight, components or cost.

All told this unit cost me a total of $1.97, making it one of the more expensive tools in the $2 Challenge, but I have to say, it is so far perhaps the best tool I have received.  I would actually consider paying much more than $2 for this tool, although I am certainly glad that I don’t have to!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: $2 Challenge- Contender #4
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 02:25:09 PM
I like the look of this one.  :multi:  Would probably dull the strap cutter for my own protection though.  :whistle:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: $2 Challenge- Contender #4
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:17:41 PM
Sure does look cool!

Is the cutter that sharp from the factory?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%